As Ryperior already noted, Herald of Kozilek is a good card for Morophon...but there's quite a lot of cards he benefits from actually, such as Ugin, the Ineffable, Eye of Ugin, Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma...basically if you're paying 7 for him, you're doing something wrong.
Speaking of cost reduction, in a dragon deck, Dragonspeaker Shaman does double duty with him...
- Registered User
Member for 7 years, 8 months, and 28 days
Last active Tue, May, 21 2019 04:42:45
- 5 Followers
- 8,292 Total Posts
- 2358 Thanks
May 20, 2019LouCypher posted a message on Mothership Spoilers 5/20: Flusterstorm (BaB promo) and Morophon the BoundlessFor those of you who asked, yes, Morophon makes creatures of the chosen type cost a big fat 0 if you use Jodah, Archmage Eternal or Fist of Suns.Posted in: The Rumor Mill
May 20, 2019 Posted in: The Rumor Mill
May 20, 2019LouCypher posted a message on Luis Salvatto Twitter spoiler - Munitions Expert (BR Goblin)Posted in: The Rumor Mill
That's a spicy payoff for goblins.
May 20, 2019Posted in: The Rumor Mill
Can't say I saw that one coming, personally.
May 20, 2019Posted in: Commander (EDH)
How in the blazes is a 2 mana rock that taps for 1 AND has an additional mode just in case in any form or way trash?
May 20, 2019Posted in: Rumor Mill ArchiveQuote from ccggenius12 »So, it doesn't do anything against Dredge, Phoenix, RDW, etc. but is pretty damn good against Tron. The alt cost not requiring a life seems very relevant in a fetch+shock format.
You know that little card, Faithless Looting? Yeah, this screws that over pretty hard. Seems somewhat relevant.
May 15, 2019In my meta, Midrange is the dominant force, but control, combo and aggro all stand a chance. And I like it that way. It ensures that while you're pressurized to land relevant cards/threats early on, there are also enough answers available over the table, and games don't devolve into a late-game slog of 4 hours because every deck has tricks that can punch through any gamestall. The fastest combo decks (my Zacama is one of them) can fire off around turn 5 relatively easily but will be frail to disruption at that point, more stable combos go off by turn 7 but that can be outraced/prevented by removing key cards.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
I like it this way.
May 7, 2019Posted in: Commander Rules Discussion Forum
So, Narset, Parter of Veils. She's already making a splash in Legacy and I expect her to see play in Modern as well. I also fully expect to see complaints about her before too long, so I figured, why not start a discussion thread?
SSee, Narset is very much like a card that is already on the banlist: Leovold, Emissary of Trest. In that they're both 3-mana cards that prevent anyone from drawing more than 1 card each turn, and subsequently cause a lock with Teferi's Puzzle Box. However, they both have their pros and cons as well.
Mono blue - more deck variety
Planeswalkers are generally harder to quickly remove than creatures
Has a useful additional ability
Can be your commander
Easier to recur and tutor by virtue of being a creature
Cannot be directly attacked, making him a bit more resilient vs aggressive decks.
The obvious talking point here is the fact that Leovold can in fact be played from the command zone, granting permanent access to him. I have no doubts that if Narset could be your commander, she too would face the banhammer.
So that begs the question; would Leovold be banned in the 99 would the Banned as a Commander list still exist? My gut says no - and I have a big gut so it'd know. But this is also where Narset's other advantages come into play. Despite her double-blue cost she's more splashable, she's harder to remove if the opposition holds no stronger board position, but she locks out a table just as fast.
Personally, I don't believe Narset is worthy of a ban, though she is something to keep an eye on, and will sprout more discussion, but I'm interested in hearing what others think.
May 4, 2019Blood Artist, Zulaport Cutthroat and Cruel Celebrant are all very low-risk cards that can help you patch up your life total, but more importantly, they also work as a wincon if you can sacrifice enough stuff. They have bigger siblings too in Falkenrath Noble and Vindictive Vampire, but the low mana cost of the previous three is what sets them apart, IMO.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
May 1, 2019Here's my personal take on the new Commanders:Posted in: Commander (EDH)
- God-Eternal Oketra: Hampered by her own colours, but Oketra's Monument into her is one hell of a beating. Also Anointed Procession is a card. I think this will easily be a top 5 mono-white commander, maybe even top 3, and in the 99 of any build that relies on spamming creatures she'll be fantastic. Great in both command zone and the 99.
- Tomik, Distinguished Advokist: This is not a good commander, but he's a great hatebear in any build like, say, Gaddock Teeg or Sigarda, Host of Herons.Poor to mediocre in the zone, Decent to backbreaking in the 99.
- God-Eternal Kefnet: Don't underestimate the value of copying valuespells, and the power of Brainstorm abilities to pull shenanigans. While he plays poorly with counterspells, do consider the ramifications of Scroll Rack and Time Warp. Amazing commander, not nearly as good in the 99.
- Fblthp, the Lost: While it may look silly as a serious commander, there are two cases. The first is a blue deck that doesn't NEED it's commander but does appreciate a 2 mana cantrip. The other is Proteus Staff. In the 99 he's a decent value dork a la Elvish Visionary except blue and on occassion even better. Funny commander, Valuable in the 99.
- God-Eternal Bontu: My question when you have this as your commander is: Why not Krav, the Unredeemed? While the ETB effect means you spend 1 less mana, Krav can repeat without the need of a recast, and can add White to his repetoire. Same question in the 99. As a backup for Krav, sure. Very good but outclassed both in the 99 and in the zone.
- Massacre Girl: She telegraphs your plan, which will lead to empty-ish boards. Take advantage of that and she'll lead to interesting games. But she is better in the 99 to come out and wipe the board, and maybe do so again on a revive. Great rattlesnake in the zone, potent boardwipe in the 99.
- Ilharg, the Raze-Boar: This thing is severely hampered by the colour identity, and the fact that whatever Ilharg wants to do, Sneak Attack does better. As a commander, it doesn't fix Red's main issues so I think it'll be best in the 99 of "Cheat Fatties Out.dec". Meh in the zone, hard to judge in the 99.
- Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion: Now this is what I'm talking about. While he does need to connect in order to trigger, it's likely there's always SOMEONE you can smack. Refueling your hand is something Red loves, the extra mana lets you fire off your big guns earlier...it's not a perfect card, but both in the commander zone as well as in the 99 of various decktypes he'll do work.
- Krenko, Tin-Street Kingpin: I like that unlike the original Krenko he's both a threat and a token maker on his own. While he's easier to stop by virtue of big blockers preventing him from wanting to attack, he can also be more explosive by decking him out with some fancy equipment. Great option as a commander, probably a staple in Goblin decks in the 99.
- God-Eternal Rhonas: Lack of trample hurts. Green decks don't tend to have issues with being bigger than the opposition, they need to be able to punch through. Likely going to slide into various decks (Selvala, Heart of the Wilds says 'sup) that can make use/abuse of his effect but won't be a common commander. Dangerous but meh as commander, niche in the 99.
- Mowu, Loyal Companion: The goodest boy of the set, Mowu is not a good card. Great for memes and there's probably a build possible that makes him real big real fast, but his best place is probably Pauper commander or Puppers.dec. Very poor both in the zone and the 99.
- Feather, the Redeemed: Oh yeah we'll be seeing a lot of her. Then people will realize she's not THAT good a commander and she'll fade a bit, but she'll always be one of the best Boros commanders around. In the 99 she's too specific to be good. This is probably only one of two cards in this set that's only good as commander and not at all in the 99.
- Roalesk, Apex Hybrid: As pointed out, having a Dies trigger hurt his commander viability. Besides that, I'd think Pir & Toothy will lead any deck he'd want to lead better. That said in the 99 he can be a true terror, whether you're playing Superfriends or some other counter-shenanigans. So yeah, piss-poor in the zone, but a viable threat in the 99.
- Storrev, Devkarin Lich: Golgari Stupid Stuff, the Legend. Yea it's hard to write anything about this one. Better in the zone than in the 99. Meren exists.
- Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves: Don't play him as a wolf tribal commander. Build a Selesnya deck with some occasional wolf-synergy instead with him at the wheel and you'll see it's pretty decent - if nothing earth shattering - value. Being able to snipe some utility creatures while patching up your life is far from a bad ability. Might see play in some blinky decks. Cute commander, decent in the 99.
- Niv-Mizzet Reborn: The other command-zone-only card, Niv can pull up huge value. The trick is finding the right rations of guild cards, which ain't easy. Going to be seen more often than his power level justifies.
All in all, I'm seeing a big mix of highly playable commanders, great cards for the 99, and some who can do both, on varying power levels. I think this is one of the greatest spreads we've seen in the past few years. Aside from Feather, none of the new commanders have a "One true way to build it and if you don't why are you even playing" kind of vibe over them, though some of them (Kefnet, Krenko in particular) push you towards a direction.
May 1, 2019LouCypher posted a message on What stories have stayed with you over the test of time?That one time where I aimed my Emrakul, the Promised End's ability at the Karametra, God of Harvests player who had been exploding onto the board. He had a Panharmonicon, among other things.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
I move to his side of the table, examine his hand and the field and formulate a plan in my mind. That plan went out of the window as I drew Tooth and Nail. Casting it entwined, grabbing Avenger of Zendikar and Regal Force, causing him to deck out due to the double tokens followed by double Force draw. Calmly handed him his cards back and went to sit back down while he just looked at me going "You can't do that..."
Apr 24, 2019Even if you live in Japan, that Lilly is still gonna command one hell of a price tag given who the artist is.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
I'm not sure if they're confirmed to come in foil or not but if yes, I'll be wanting one of the Chandra for my Chandra Tribal (I like running more unique versions of Chandras there). Beyond that, I definitely want a Tamiyo for the superior artwork and a Tibalt for reasons of Tibalt being dapper as heck. Think I'll leave it at that.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.