- Registered User
Member for 9 years, 8 months, and 19 days
Last active Sat, Apr, 20 2019 02:08:21
- 1 Follower
- 394 Total Posts
- 1 Thank
Apr 20, 2019bfine70 posted a message on [[Primer]] [PAUPER] Crushing Dreams on a Budget - Child of Alara (UPDATE 07-2018!)Kaya's Ghostform does let Child go to the yard so it's in my list of cards to try. The only other card from this set that I'm interested in is Spark Harvest.Posted in: Variant Commander
Apr 16, 2019Thanks for the feedback, Zombie Shakespeare! I've decided I'll go ahead and make the Mnemonic Wall swap after all.Posted in: Variant Commander
I completely missed Scribe of the Mindful so that's in over the Weird. Admittedly, it is a spot that is being watched, but I like the idea that it is a way to return spells repeatedly using Muldrotha's ability.
I added your suggestions to the maybeboard. Spark Harvest will definitely get a spot once I figure out what to cut for it.
At this point, I have a few cards on the watch list that could easily end up being cut to try out other cards. That list currently includes: High Tide, Pestilence, Scribe of the Mindful, Transguild Promenade & Co. I have only played it once so I still have some testing to do before I come to any conclusions, but those are the ones that immediately jump to mind. I have no shortage of cards I want to try out, but the tricky part is figuring out where to fit them in. I hope to play some games with it here soon and report back. If anyone sees any cards they think are particularly weak or out of place, I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Apr 11, 2019bfine70 posted a message on [[Primer]] [PAUPER] Crushing Dreams on a Budget - Child of Alara (UPDATE 07-2018!)With those rules, I would probably just cut Brainspoil and Cloud of Faeries. The Flickers + Recursion wizards allow you to "combo," by which I mean you can flicker back any type of answer spell as you need it in the late game. That should only require you to cast the same card 1-2x per turn, but lets you basically lock everyone else out of playing cards, or at least ones you feel are dangerous enough to answer. That is how I play the deck. I only go for the actual infinite mana auto-win combo if I'm near death or getting auto-targeted by the table.Posted in: Variant Commander
Apr 8, 2019Thanks for the feedback! Dream Fracture I did consider and I will include in the Maybeboard for the time being. I only ever expect to use Arcane Denial to protect myself during the combo, but if I feel like I'm light on counters, I will test it out. Foil was a card I looked at but was unsure how often I'd actually be able to cast for free, I'll throw it in the maybeboard too. I actually put Stinkweed Imp in my pile of cards to consider and somehow lost it. Great catch, I'll definitely be adding it to the deck.Posted in: Variant Commander
Re: Looters - I'm not so sure I really want those effects. They do let me churn through my deck faster, but I also want to make sure I don't get completely hosed by GY hate. I envision just looping spellbombs alongside Mystic Remora and Rhystic Study to keep a steady supply of cards in my hand. This also means keeping a lot of my tricks on board and keeping my graveyard only partially stocked at any given time. That being said, I still think Stinkweed is valuable in refilling the yard once I do fall victim to Bojuka Bog and the like.
Mnemonic Wall is great for all the reasons you mentioned. At this point I have Scrivener strictly because it is a wizard and because I don't see the P/T being significant. If it ends up mattering, I will happily make that swap.
Apr 7, 2019After years of playing the Child of Alara Dreamcrusher deck, every once in a while I decide to try an all commons build of commanders that seem like they'd have the strength to take down your average EDH game. Muldrotha is the newest iteration of my experiments and quite possibly the strongest to date. The deck aims to ramp and play the control game until you have enough mana to stick Muldrotha and leave up protection. After that, you just try to keep the beloved Elemental Avatar in play every turn and recur all your sweet Fonts, Spellbombs, Seals, etc. I have included your typical Ghostly Flicker combo package as the way to close out the games if Mulldrifter beats aren't quick enough. The list is still in its early stages and I welcome any and all feedback.Posted in: Variant Commander
Here are some of the cards I was considering that didn't make the initial cut, but are on my radar as things to add if I find anything I want to cut.
DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards Instant (13)
1x Costly Plunder
1x Disdainful Stroke
1x Dream Fracture
1x Eyeblight's Ending
1x Grim Harvest
1x Grisly Salvage
1x Perilous Research
1x Rend Flesh
1x Soul Manipulation
1x Cradle of the Accursed
1x Sunscorched Desert
1x Augur of Skulls
1x Battlefield Scrounger
1x Diligent Farmhand
1x Sage's Row Denizen
1x Sea Gate Oracle
1x Sidisi's Faithful
1x Spellkeeper Weird
1x Yavimaya Elder
1x Aboshan's Desire
1x Broken Fall
1x Font of Fortunes
1x Shade's Form
1x Unbridled Growth
1x Ashes to Ashes
1x Commune with the Gods
1x Compulsive Research
1x Deep Analysis
1x Fade into Antiquity
1x Read the Bones
1x Spark Harvest
1x Treasure Cruise
1x Alchemist's Vial
1x Explosive Apparatus
1x Lifespark Spellbomb
1x Moonglove Extract
1x Necrogen Spellbomb
1x Neurok Stealthsuit
1x Tormod's Crypt
Apr 1, 2019bfine70 posted a message on [[Primer]] [PAUPER] Crushing Dreams on a Budget - Child of Alara (UPDATE 07-2018!)War of the Spark brings us Kaya's Ghostform as a cheaper version of Shade's Form. I've never been sold on Form because of its cost but at CMC 1, I'm much more willing to give this card a shot. Although, we can't steal cool creatures from our opponents with it.Posted in: Variant Commander
Mar 29, 2019I'm just sad there's no foil Path of Ancestry yet, so I'm sitting at 99/100.Posted in: Variant Commander
Mar 29, 2019I finally decided to do the thing! Here'e my current list in all of its foily goodness.Posted in: Variant Commander
Apr 11, 2018Foil Friends! They just announced new Merchant Scroll and Commander's Sphere judge promos.Posted in: Variant Commander
Nov 26, 2017Glad to see some more discussion about this deck. I had a few questions after reviewing some of the most recent updated lists from people.Posted in: Variant Commander
1) Why isn't there any love for Altar's Reap and Costly Plunder? I get the appeal of Perilous Research because it is searchable by Merchant Scroll as well, but I feel like the ability to blow up Child and dodge counterspells (except for Stifle, Trickbind, etc.) is very valuable.
2) I was also surprised at some people passing up on Displace. Ghostly Flicker feels like such an essential part of the deck that I'd love an extra. Sure, when I am about to combo off I tend to have plenty of counters and answers to things that could stop me. However, oftentimes I find myself just flickering recursion wizards and ETB creatures to generate a ton of value and create a softlock while I am digging my way to Cloud of Faeries.
3) I have yet to be sold on Mistmoon Griffin. I like the idea, but I feel like it is just so much easier to get False Defeat / Breath of Life to work than Mistmoon Griffin. I would love to hear more feedback on how testing that card has gone for others.
4)I haven't personally added Strip Mine or Maze of Ith to my list yet, but I've always considered adding them. I may just bite the bullet and try that soon.
Other than that, I really enjoyed going over the last few posts from everyone. I'll be updating my list over the next few days. I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts and checking out the updated primer.
Jun 24, 2017Hey everyone. Just checking in. About to do my not-so-regular update to the list and figured I'd head over here and see what you all are doing. Haven't seen many recent list largely due to the lack of new cards that fit. Anybody find anything good recently? Have any good experiences with the monarch cards?Posted in: Variant Commander
Feb 5, 2016Here's my current list:Posted in: Variant Commander
As I mentioned before, I'm going to add in Deprive, probably overRewind. I'm also considering adding Reap and Sow, Azorius Chancery, and some of the other ETB lands. Very open to suggestions on how to make room. I've always wanted this deck to move towards a more land-centric theme, and the pieces that are necessary for that to be a reality are starting to finally come to fruition.
Feb 4, 2016Hey guys, just wanted to get some input on Deprive. I'm running the Cloud of Faeries list with a decent number of ETB effect lands and this card seems to be a sweet way to re-up on these while also being another counterspell. Didn't know if anyone else has had much experience with it or would recommend it.Posted in: Variant Commander
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
Apr 17, 2014This is a really good write-up for this part of the primer. I really like the fact that you break apart the card selection in tiers to separate the Pauper/Peasant/Budget builds. I just have a few things that I think are worth including/changing.Posted in: urdjur Blog
- 3rd Paragraph - you say activate CoA's ability even though it's a trigger (I know, not really a big deal, but never know if someone may get confused)
- When talking about cards like Altar's Reap etc. that have sacrifice a creature as an additional cost, I think it is worth mentioning that these spells make it impossible for opponents to counter the sacrifice. When using targetted removal, things can end poorly with bounce / exile removal or counters. This is a good way to play around countermagic heavy metagames which is something I have found relevant. I even played Fling before.
- I agree with Overheat's opinion on more basic lands. Having so many ramp spells in the Pauper version leads to absurd mana advantages in the late game thanks to cards like Far Wanderings that help us keep opponents buried under our card advantage.
- I also think the Game Plan of the deck shoudl be in a section before this. Probably just before this. I would think that starting out with the history of the deck --> Game Plan --> Card Selection --> Other Resources would be a good plan, or something along those lines.
I really like how this is looking though. Very detailed and lots of information. I can't wait to see a thread where formatting makes it look that much more organized and cleaner.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.