- Registered User
Member for 17 years, 3 months, and 10 days
Last active Sun, Jun, 20 2021 01:25:51
- 14 Followers
- 7,182 Total Posts
- 923 Thanks
Jul 13, 2019Hey all,Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
Moving forward, all activity and updates on this Primer will be over on MTG Nexus. I'll be reading back through the pages of discussion on this thread and intend on making a "FAQ/Previous Discussion" section to summarize a lot of what we've discussed here over the years, though that may take some time. You can find the new thread here:
I'll also be posting brand new Primers, and just posted one for Elenda, the Dusk Rose
Jonas and tarotplz have already found their way over there to the thread. I hope I'll see others join, as well! Thank you to everyone for your contributions in the thread here over all of this time! I have some interesting plans for the future of the Ayli Primer over on Nexus
Jul 2, 2019I don't want them to ever open up design decisions to a player majority vote, because I've been in the community long enough to know that a large chunk of players don't know what is best for the game. This is especially true with the weight of certain creator and social media influencers out there who warp perception and drive beliefs, whether for better or worse. When I look at how people evaluate cards, or scream for cards to be banned in Modern or Commander that are not the problem, etc. Commander may be casual but the player base and money that goes into the secondary market is a very large chunk of the game's real etate at this point. It's not something I would want them to play around with. Even something as small as past You Design The Card contests have lead to questionable results.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
Jun 22, 2019Kelzam posted a message on [MH1] Yawgmoth, Thran Physician - The Power to ProliferateI was checking my Twitter feed earlier and saw MTGStocks reporting that Words of Waste was starting to rise in price, and it immediately clicked that it had to be because of Yawgmoth. I ordered one to try out because I think it could be a potentially great card against control decks. What do y'all think about this? It reminded me of another card - Graveborn Muse that I used to run alongside Words of Waste way back in the Onslaught Standard days. Tempted to try it as well with how it can scale with a lot of the cards in the deck.Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
Jun 22, 2019I don't see anyone groan any more when someone plays Paradox Engine than they do when they see Mikaeous, the Unhallowed, Aetherflux Reservoir, Exquisite Blood, Seedborn Muse or any other number of powerful combo piece cards hit the table. At this point this crusade over Paradox Engine is reaching the level of absurdity as those for Cyclonic Rift, Sol Ring and numerous other perceived boogiemen. The only metric I've seen in this thread has been anecdotal evidence where you could replace Paradox Engine with any number of other cards and say "Then the game just ended!" and it'd be the same ending to these stories attempting to make apparent how bad Paradox Engine supposedly is for the format. People tend to read reactions and emotions based on their own biases, so it's no surprise that one will automatically translate anyone else's response to something matching their own feelings. And for the record, I'm neutral - I play it in one deck and have played that deck and won plenty without it (so don't try to turn the point I made around on me).Posted in: Commander Rules Discussion Forum
I appreciate healthy debate and discussion over the format. BUT, it gets a bit ridiculous seeing months and months of discussion of the same handful of vocal people coming back and posting new anecdotal stories to try to crusade to make their case when the entire rest of the format has settled fine. Especially considering this card has been out in the wild for... *looks up the release date of Aether Revolt* ...almost 3 years, now. Because that's not enough, the argument is now "It's getting worse! New cards are being printed!" ...And? How many threads pop up here every set with a kneejerk reaction about the supposed power level of a card. Simic Ascendancy anyone? Narset, Parter of Veils? Razaketh, the Foulblooded? Please. Give the sensationalism a rest.
Jun 21, 2019It's been a while since I sent Alesha out to pasture for parts for other decks, but one of my favorite cards to use was Glory. Protecting the board from Blasphemous Act and being able to block or attack into a certain color proved to be fantastic for mePosted in: Commander (EDH)
Jun 17, 2019Kelzam posted a message on [MH1] Yawgmoth, Thran Physician - The Power to ProliferateI've been working on a Yawgmoth build of my own, and this deck is tons of fun. I took a bit of inspiration from the list in the main post here, but only went so far due to availability (I don't have too much invested in MTGO to test these as much).Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
Here's my list and my thoughts on it, at the moment:
- So, first things first: I'm missing a chunk of the potential ramp for the deck. I need to pick up Crypt Ghast, Nirkana Revenant, Jet Medallion, Gauntlet of Power and Bubbling Muck. Chances that I'll ever pick up a Mana Crypt or Grim Monolith are extremely low given it's current price range. However, I've still been able to ramp pretty well with what I *do* have, so I'm excited to acquire what I can. I had been tempted to get a Chrome Mox with some store credit but it was either that or Liliana, the Last Hope and Liliana was a much more important inclusion.
- Crypt of Agadeem is about to be replaced with something else because the deck needs to ramp up ASAP and it's worse than a Swamp for most of the game I've had it.
- I won a game with a Torment of Hailfire for 30 just off of the land ramp when I wasn't drawing into anything else. I'm pretty confident in leaving this and Exsanguinate in my build finishers to build towards if Yawgmoth is hated off of the table too much to stay on the Proliferate plan. The problem with this game wasn't Yawgmoth being targeted, though. It was actually that I had no card draw outside of Yawgmoth and only ever drew into Bloodghast that game for recurrable draw. I think there's a weakness in trying to depend too heavily on Yawgmoth sticking or for sac fodder to use him and not having any other draw. There's so much mana ramp potential here, but if the sac fodder doesn't come, the deck feels like it falls flat, especially when you want to hold a good chunk of your deck for a big turn (PWers).
- Phyrexian Scriptures was surprisingly good. I originally added it for flavor reasons (the same is true of Avatar of Woe; it's a pet card because I have a PT one signed by rk post and casting it for BB with Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder out is SO good). In my last game last night I had quite a play:
- I had used Command the Dreadhorde and stolen Garruk, Primal Hunter, Niv-Mizzet, Parun and Veteran Explorer. Then I cast my Horobi, Death's Wail and used -3 on Garruk to draw 5 cards and get 5 Niv-Mizzet triggers. I blew up a few targets (Liliana, Heretical Healer, Nicol Bolas, the Ravager, a 21/21 Consuming Abberation, the Veteran Explorer to ramp up Cabal Stronghold some more and something else). Well, at the end of turn the Grixis player cast Thrilling Encore and got it alllll back, and then some.
- I had a ton of mana because of Cabal Stronghold and some heavy land ramp earlier. So I cast Yawgmoth. Wasn't countered, so I should be good. Cast Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. Yes, yes. It resolved. Cast Phyrexian Scriptures and put the +1/+1 counter on Yawgmoth and turned him into an Artifact creature. Finally cast Grey Merchant of Asphodel to offset the life loss from Command the Dreadhorde last turn. Mostly, I needed a sac target so I could sacrifice him to Yawgmoth to Proliferate the Phyrexian Scriptures to Chapter II and wipe the board other than Yawgmoth. I did so, destroyed everything but Yawgmoth, got 14 Zombies from Kalitas and was on my merry way. It was gorious.
- I'm feeling the same about Archfiend of Ifnir in it being too slow. I've had it in my hand multiple times but never really wanted to cast it over anything else. I'm still giving it some more time, though.
- I've been pretty happy with Call to the Grave in the games where I get my recurrable sac fodder and it's kept the board clear early on and let me play some of my Planeswalkers and start ticking them up without having to hold them in my hand for a while. Keep in mind since I'm still missing key ramp cards and probably won't have access to Grim Monolith/Mana Crypt, as I had mentioned earlier.
- I thought Illusionist's Bracers may be too slow, but the couple times I've had it on Yawgmoth it was incredible.
- With the sudden availability of snow lands, I'm trying Dead of Winter in place of Toxic Deluge. While it's true that you're still winning until the last point of life is gone, I've found that I go through it at a dangerous rate, especially with some of the Spellslinger decks in my various play groups. I haven't run into anything this hasn't been able to kill, yet. The appeal of Toxic Deluge is having a flexible answer for 2B, but so far this has done just as well!
- Psychosis Crawler is another decent alternate win con that won me a game, and I was pretty happy to see it. It gave me a place to put my -1/-1 counters for Nest of Scarabs to get that combo started and is a win condition once you have the Yawgmoth's Bargain combo set up with Nest.
Anyway, that's about it for my testing with the deck so far. I know my build is quite different at the moment, though I aim for a similar path once I can acquire the appropriate cards
Jun 11, 2019We've gotten so much easy grave yard hate and ways to deal with grave yards the last two years that I don't even know why this would be considered an issue. It might trigger at the end of turn, but 16 artifacts in the grave yard? At worst it shifts the meta towards playing graveyard hate besides expecting a single Bokjuka Bog to cover it, and I'm fine with this. So, you know, we should be good if a very niche card that will only go in very specific Blue Artiact decks who actually expend effort in dumping their Artifacts into their graveyard for some reason - instead of onto the battlefield to combo and just win as they normally do - warps the entire meta. But I might be just a bit skeptical. Just a bit.Posted in: Commander Rules Discussion Forum
Quote from Carthage »Quote from Jivanmukta »[quote from="Taleran »" url="/forums/the-game/commander-edh/commander-rules-discussion-forum/810779-mirrodin-besieged?comment=11"]It's more that the vast majority of players are absolutely awful at card evaluation. Even more are bad at understanding the EDH banlist philosophy.
The EDH banlist philosophy is not even internally consistent so of course players don't understand it.
If it was consistent gifts ungiven would have been unbanned years ago.
Also revel in riches is not a fun casual card.
This response is so ironic it could be in Napoleon Dynamite 2. Jivantuna is spot on and the response actually proves his point. I'm dying.
May 30, 2019Posted in: Multiplayer Commander DecklistsQuote from tarotplz »Quote from rogerandover »What do you guys think of Kaya's Guile? It looks pretty sweet, and I always like when you get value on the cards you play, but I'm not overly sold on it. I'm already playing plenty of exile effects and sweepers, so the the graves are rarely a problem and I already do have Remorseful Cleric thats way easier to abuse then an instant.
The gain 4 life part and the make a 1/1 part are basically irrelevant in commander. What we get in almost all cases is an edict effect that exiles our opponents graves.
That doesn't look terrible on paper, but I don't think that this is really something we need. Plaguecrafter is the far far better edict that can be reanimated and if you really need grave-hate that bad, I think you should look to cheaper and more reliable options.
Tarotplz hits the nail on the head. Kaya's Guile is pretty neat, but it doesn't do anything that other options can't do a lot better that are attached to bodies to reanimate.
May 29, 2019Kelzam posted a message on [WAR] Niv-Mizzet Reborn - Master of Guilds & Astral-Living-GenesisPosted in: Multiplayer Commander DecklistsQuote from darrenhabib »
Yes Magic Online is where I get reps in, but I have a commander group for paper as well.Quote from Kelzam »Hey darrenhahib, I was reading and saw where you said you've played around 50 games with the Astral Genesis deck. Are you playing on Magic Online? Just curious what platform you're testing on
Very much interested to see how this version develops!
The thing with online is that people don't know what you're playing fully, so the Living End and Hypergenesis is totally unexpected and not planned for by opponents, so in this respect it's not a true indication of play testing, but I don't play these sorts of decks for any serious competitiveness.
Understood 😊 I was just curious - wasn't judging by any means! I'm actually interested in this because I already have so many "get easy value" competitive decks (Windgrace, Maelstrom Wanderer, Jhoira) and was brainstorming (fyi that autocorrected to barnstorming and it's not even wrong) how to do Niv-Mizzet that wasn't just doing Superfriends as a copout or another straight play-all-this-goodstuff-value.dec. so the Astral Genssis build you have here has really piqued my interest 😊
May 29, 2019Kelzam posted a message on [WAR] Niv-Mizzet Reborn - Master of Guilds & Astral-Living-GenesisHey darrenhahib, I was reading and saw where you said you've played around 50 games with the Astral Genesis deck. Are you playing on Magic Online? Just curious what platform you're testing on 😊Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
Very much interested to see how this version develops!
May 25, 2019Posted in: Multiplayer Commander DecklistsQuote from Jonas Ukulore »Thanks (as always) for your efforts writing your analysis!
You make a solid point, about Despark, I might have to reconsider. Maybe, I think I value the instantspeed more than the extra 1 Mana. No good having a Vindicate in hand when opponent plays a Cloudstone Curio only when he can end the game with it there and then. It’s also very likely Generous Gift will take that slot of Vindicate in my deck.
Vindicate not being an Instant is a good point, and you're quite correct in the context of Cloudstone Curio and other similar combo pieces. But still, blowing up utility lands and the rest of the <3CC targets is really important in my meta. It may well be a meta call for a lot of people. But overall, I do definitely prefer Vindicate. Anguished Unmaking and Utter End can't target lands which means waiting on Ashen Rider or Archon of Justice to handle them.
About Force of Despair: often, I wait for a maximum amount (or quality) of creatures before playing a boardwipe.
Having to decide to boardwipe on just that turn feels a bit... suboptimal to me.
I agree on that respect. I'm not convinced on running it, but it was one of the more interesting cards for Ayli to talk about. I do like that it is Instant speed and can be done without mana open. There's a lot of decks out there that can build a board state out of nowhere, slam down Craterhoof Behemoth and swing out of nowhere. Unfortunately other than False Prophet most of our board wipes can't handle that despite doing our best to keep boards down. So, it's got some potential in that regard, I think
Silent clearing is nice, but as life is often a resource for us (Necropotence, fetchlands, etc) I’m not certain I need another dual that hurts. I don’t think I would remove a basic land or another dual for it.
I can only speak for my build, but at least personally, I sacrifice enough to Ayli or drain with Gray Merchant of Asphodel to off set a lot of the life loss I incur most games (just not enough to run something like Bolas's Citadel), so I don't think it'll be too bad
Kaya’s Ghostform vs Angelic Renewal: If I put out an AR, even without sacengine or recursion (e.g. Sun Titan) , the AR instantly eats a removal spell from my opponents.
I think this might be a meta thing, as well! Truthfully more people in my play groups should be blowing up Angelic Renewal, but I think a lot gave up because they know it'll just hit the battlefield again as soon as I get Sun Titan out there
May 24, 2019Posted in: Multiplayer Commander DecklistsQuote from Jonas Ukulore »I just got a feeling my Vindicate might be swapped out for an Elephantdonation.
Edit: forgot to mention that at the moment Vindicate is already out, and Despark (momentarily testing in its place) did prove super and versatile. Almost always the thing I NEED to exile is a permanent with CMC 4+
Although my feelings on Despark differ, I added a section for it above I meant to address this and it slipped through the cracks.
I do very much like Generous Gift! I'm also very interested in Force of Despair and Silent Clearing More board wipe options are always welcome, and late game lands that turn into card draw sounds fantastic! (also which could be brought back with Sun Titan to sac again for more draw, if no better targets existed!)
May 23, 2019I was pretty excited for the new Mox at first until I realized the best case scenario of having an extra mana rock on Turns 1-2 will never happen with it, when I actually care about having it :/Posted in: Commander (EDH)
May 23, 2019As the player with the resident Ayli primer, I figured I'd step in to add my 2 cents.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
I would never play Despark over Utter End, Anguished Unmaking or Vindicate. I don't like the condition that the target must have a 4CMC or greater on Despark. It's easy to be tricked into thinking it's a good card because it only costs WB, but it's far too inconsistent for my tastes. Outside of a tokens build, Orzhov is not a color combination that works fast. That is why I don't mind the 4CMC for Utter End. Orzhov is a slow roll, building up incremental value until it snowballs into an engine that is too hard to stop. I'd rather utter end Scavenging Ooze and stop my graveyard from being eaten, or Eternal Witness to stop recursion shenanigans, than sit with a 2CMC card in my hand that can't hit half the potential problems on the board.
I'll gladly pay 1 more than I do for a Vindicate to exile something, because there is so much recursion in the format that exiling threats is one of the best things you can do. But those threats aren't always 4CMC and above. Sometimes they're Cloudstone Curios, or Ashnod's Altars and other 2-3 mana sac outlets or engines that you don't want them to be able to get back. I run both Anguished Unmaking and Utter End and Vindicate because 1.) depending on other people having good threat assessment is a liability, and 2.) the ability to surgically remove basically any target is an effect worth some redundancy. I'd still have Vindicate over this as a way to easily take out Maze of Ith, Volrath's Stronghold, Gavony Township, Gaea's Cradle, Itlimoc, Cradle of the Sun etc. on top of any other target without Indestructible that it can hit. Costing 1-2 mana less than the existing options does not make it worth it, when it excludes so many important targets.
Angel of Despair aside, there is Archon of Justice, Return to Dust, False Prophet, Ashen Rider, Mangara of Corondor/Angel of Serenity/Fiend Hunter + sac outlets. Orzhov doesn't have a lack of ways to permanently flat out exile various things of the entire spectrum of CMC. Despark is frankly outclassed and overrated.
I don't even get started on those running Profane Procession.
Edit: I'll also clarify I'm not considering cEDH because cEDH isn't how the vast majority of people play Commander, and it's not like Ayli is a cEDH-worthy Commander. So, I'm not sure how what place cEDH discussion has here.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
May 28, 2019I'm still processing that this is happening. Thank you, everyone, who helped get the forums on it's feet; who has kept them afloat since then; who has used or frequented the forums and added to or been part of the community here. It's been almost 15 years ago now, and it's crazy to think Sally has been around this long.Posted in: Articles
I'm glad that the staff are working on something to continue the community - unfortunately I don't have a phpBB2 forum hosted on a random friend's server to pull out of my pocket, this time
Dec 29, 2017A few things I feel need to be introduced to make this worth using over other similar resources, that I currently find a little frustrating:Posted in: Articles
- The ability to re-position each section. Right now, no matter what, any section I add using the Add Section widget on the side appears below the Early/Mid/Late Game section. There can be information that is better explained in sections before those. Before I get into the early game, it's probably better to tell them how to mulligan, which I want to be it's own section. Also, I feel like Quick Info makes more sense as a section above the deck list for people to have a quick read about the deck before they start pouring through the deck list to see if it sounds like something they even want to read on about.
- The same ability to add card images to the pre-made text sections that you can add to the sections made with the Add Section feature; as well as the ability to create card links in the input text that appears in the text boxes, like we are able to do on the forums in our existing deck threads.
- Sorting capabilities for the deck list. Custom categories like those on TappedOut and the ability to tag cards with another tag other than it's default type. For example, I might want to use add the tag "Mana Acceleration" to Sol Ring instead of Artifacts, and have the capability of viewing the deck listed using custom tags to make it easier for readers to understand.
Feb 3, 2014My favorite card is easily Arcbound Ravager. I've always loved Artifact-based decks, so when Mirrodin block was releasing I was in heaven. The deck it was part of was definitely too powerful for Standard (thanks in no part to Disciple of the Vault and the cycle of Artifact lands). But, now I play Affinity in Modern and get the same enjoyment as I did in Standard. The reason Arcbound Ravager is my favorite about all the rest though is that he let's you play both in proactive and reactive manners. The versatility is just amazing, letting you prepare an Etched Champion for an alpha strike or respond to removal of him by pouring all his counters on your Inkmoth Nexus. He's also a centerpiece in one of the few decks that aren't tri-color goodstuff.decs. There's an unfortunate lack of focus in most decks and many are simply piles of good cards that happen to fit into a guild or wedge combinations.Posted in: Announcements
Jan 26, 2011It's always good to see someone getting enjoyment out of their work or projects While I don't have any suggestions for it personally, I thought I'd post to thank you for essentially doing the forum community a service in the process.Posted in: Nis Blog
Jun 23, 2009Basically, after deciding I really want to start playing Magic again, I found that my 8 years worth of collecting cards were victim to a basement flooding, and only 3 cards survived.Posted in: Xenphire Blog
I decided to add a TL;DR summary
Jun 8, 2009I'll quote the posts I was referring to for clarity:Posted in: Xenphire Blog
Quote from The RiddlerI cannot see the Angel art being a Threaten-like spell, because whatever is threatening the angel into being evil, somehow also gave the angel the dark crown and glowing eyes, and whoever is controlling it isn't even present in the picture. Like the original art, I'd expect the person(s) threatening the victim to actually be present. I would also expect the background to be more in line with the soldier she's beating than the bloody palette selected (If the background were blue or white for example, she'd stick out showing something isn't right, for example).
Judging by the the glow, she's either been possessed by an evil force or she's just evil to begin with. The guy has clearly been beaten, he looks worn down and like he's struggling to get away - just look at his posture. The angle of his legs suggest he's nearly crawling.
While she wouldn't be the typical Fallen Angel what with lacking the black wings, the art tries too hard to make her look evil for it to be used on something like Threaten, IMO. I would have to doubt it's any form of control Magic, because while red might cause rage, she's clearly being driven by magic or has been possessed. The only other color possibility would be blue and blue wouldn't have an effect like that on a creature. Black doesn't do control Magic.
Re: the Sphinx: Oh god my eyes.
Quote from Ash316It would be funny then if this turned out to be Ritual of the Machine.;) I don't think it is, but there have been control cards in black. It's just doesn't go along with what they would want to do with a Core set. But as others have said, because of the background it does look more like a Red card. I just think it will be Threaten.
To answer your question, I'm not saying someone can't disagree with someone else, what I'm saying is it'd be nice if people that post in the Rumor Mill weren't so terrible about selective reading. The Riddler made several good points against the already lacking-in-reasoning assumption most of the sheep have made that the artwork has to be Threaten. The one guy who quoted him clearly didn't even bother reading his posts or didn't even try to understand his points. You have one guy posting something logical, breaking away from the mindless masses that make up the Rumor Mill posters and shining a light of intelligence on a thread, and it goes by practically unnoticed. I just find it frustrating, because it's like people there are a bunch of zombies.
You might disagree because of how you feel about reading longer posts, but I personally would rather read some posts with content that are actually logical, than the posts of hundreds of mouthbreathers repeating "Cool card" "This must be X" ad infinitum who don't even think about what they're posting. I do realize the moderators do their best to curb the spam, but I find the very nature of the average Rumor Mill poster to be quite frustrating. Different from person to person I suppose, but I think the quality of poster should be higher in the 'Mill. The Rumor Mill for a lot of new users will be the first impression of MTGS because early spoilers have been an attention-getter that has brought a good chunk of the user base to MTGNews, and now here. You come on as a new user and see a bunch of sheep, you're inclined to register and start the same sort of habits you see.
And yeah I have seen the *** vs. Damnation thread. It's another example of sheep posting the same thing over and over despite any amount of evidence to prove one way or another. Reading people's response to Charlequin's last few posts has been nervewracking at most.
Jun 8, 2009Life is what you make of it, but ending is never the answer. In a lot of ways, suicide is a selfish thing - you probably know or have heard of many people that have lived much more painful lives, but they've endured it and it made them better people. Love is all around you, and when you end your own life, you hurt those around you.Posted in: Archon Kamigawa Blog
Let me relate your personal life to mine:
I was bullied from my pre-teen years until I graduated because I was gay, I became depressed and went from 150lbs. to 215lbs in a matter of a year and a half before graduating. I finally got accepted to a good college, got in a bad relationship, shot up to 250 lbs., and failed out of college and got terminated. Now, things like a suspension from school or the illnesses I've had seem like nothing compared to the $30,000 of debt over my head.
That is a lot to deal with. But you know why I don't kill myself? Because I'm only human, and I can endure it. We all make mistakes, we go through bad times, but we can learn from our mistakes and endure our tough times and be stronger people for it. I have family and friends that love me, and you probably do too. You haven't even begun your life yet, you're still in school - you have many years ahead of you for things to get better, to be happy and shape your life as you see fit.
Life is a gift, don't throw it away. Taking your own life is only running away from your problems, and should there be a God in the afterlife your karma will follow you. You can endure, and see that maybe things really aren't that bad, and that there's more to life than the negative side of things.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.