Quote from BlazingRagnarok »Quote from zyren the lich lord »1. heartless summoning and/or urza's incubator could be interesting in this build since the -1/-1 isnt that much of an issue, and also helps cast gargos early.
Urza's Incubator has not been printed in a modern-legal set.
Quote from zyren the lich lord »1. heartless summoning and/or urza's incubator could be interesting in this build since the -1/-1 isnt that much of an issue, and also helps cast gargos early.
Quote from zyren the lich lord »I personally dont think all in ramp is the way to go in modern. its too easily disrupted by cheap removal. You want to have some control so you can deal with fast creatures.
Here are the issues i see:
1. gargos is a powerhouse card, but you have no way of getting him out early. only utopia sprawl and arbor elf help with ramp for that. you want to get him out asap, preferably turn 3.
2. all your removal cards are big, high casting cards that dont really do much early / mid game. You need cheap and efficient removal and sweepers.
3. a lot of cards that rely on X are subpar here, and heavily rely on unbound flourishing. you want to stick to maximizing X cc hydras.
I think sultai colors are the best for you here.
1. heartless summoning and/or urza's incubator could be interesting in this build since the -1/-1 isnt that much of an issue, and also helps cast gargos early.
2. hydroid krasis is an awesome hydra and can help with card advantage.
3. blue / black has a lot of control spells. black has cheap removal.
Quote from weltkrieg »Ok. Descendant's path seems bad when you have less than a 20% chance of hitting a wurm on top of your library. If I had sufficient top deck manipulation and a whole lot more wurms (at least 30% chance on their own, better is 50% chance), then I would consider that card.
While it is a wurm, tempting wurm seems really bad. A 2 mana 5/5 is something to consider in 60 card formats (still pretty bad in the world of tarmogoyf's and whatnot), but in a battlecruiser format it seems relatively suicidal.
Arboria: I love the card, but where is your flash outlet? I run it in my yeva, nature's herald deck and it puts in some serious work. I don't see that happening here, though. Similarly, seedborne muse basically acts as a vigilance outlet. Is it that important that you need it?
Upwelling is bad in a slow deck like this. I get that you want to store mana, but Omnath, Locus of mana seems a whole lot safer for that effect and it doesn't help your opponents.
Gauntlet of power over vernal bloom? I like Gauntlet, but it's an easy artifact to kill and your wurms really don't benefit much from the anthem effect. Your opponents elf tokens, on the other hand, would love it... If you're going to run a symmetric doubler, make sure it's one that doesn't actively kill you faster and is harder itself to kill.
You have a few wurms that really want to be blocked. Engulfing slagwurm is chief among them, but anything+kusari gama is pretty good, too. If you want to force blocking, how about nemesis mask and/or lure and laugh all the way to the bank?
Death's presence is an interesting card. How about a few more power matter's cards to go with it? You could run the mana dorks that tap for power...there are several, take your pick. You could also consider champion of lambholt for added evasion. If nothing else, champion prevents small chump blocks.
Awakening zone seems actively bad. Why do you need 1 token on your upkeep? There are better sources of mana.
Quote from weltkrieg »If you're going to play grothama as your commander, do you have any idea how to make the rest of the deck synergize with him? I mean, vigor has to be a mandatory addition, I would think. Vigor + grothama=your guys huge, your opponents not drawing cards. Failing that, darksteel plate seems good.
If, on the other hand, you want to draw tons of cards off of him, then maybe instead of using vigor to just make your team gigantic (and thus preventing the card draw), you might instead consider conjurer's closet at the very least, though other cards like voyager's staff make for helpful additions. There is also cold storage, safe haven, endless sands, etc. You're in green, so finding the lands isn't too hard and recurring artifacts (or anything) is even easier. Just a thought!