Sorry for the delay but here are my latest changes (includes Modern Horizons release).
- Added Munitions Expert for additional creature-based removal
- Added Pashalik Mons for additional creature-based removal
- Added Plague Engineer for additional creature-based removal with BLOWOUT potential
- Added Prismatic Vista for better mana fixing
- Added Contamination as another "free win" card
- Added Goblin Vandal as another 1-drop with high upside
- Re-added Warren Instigator due to high upside and being a "must-answer"
- Re-added Goblin Wardriver to increase aggro linearity of deck
- Removed Ash Barrens due to costing 1 mana to color fix; replaced by Prismatic Vista
- Removed Springleaf Drum because I'd rather be attacking with creatures
- Removed Mox Amber because it's a liability if Grenzo isn't on the field
- Removed Earwig Squad due to narrowness and not coming off Grenzo activation
In other news, both Vojta and I reached the finals of the latest monthly DCM tournament!
Note: All of the deck lists were submitted prior to June so Modern Horizons cards weren't allowed/included.
- Registered User
Member for 1 year, 7 months, and 24 days
Last active Tue, Jul, 16 2019 16:50:22
- 1 Follower
- 20 Total Posts
- 3 Thanks
Apr 23, 2019I got some initial testing with the upcoming London Mulligan and the change is pretty big for this deck. The deck is able to recoup the card disadvantage fairly easily if Grenzo untaps. Also, I've added a few additional tutors and high impact cards to increase the consistency and power level of the deck.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
- Reworked mana base in order to fit Tainted Pact
- Added Gamble as another tutor
- Added Earwig Squad as a tutor-able way to deal with problematic cards/combos
- Added Springleaf Drum and Mox Amber as efficient mana acceleration
- Added Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin from the upcoming War of the Spark expansion
- Cut Warren Instigator and Goblin Wardriver since they're bad top decks
- Cut Lightning Bolt since Barbarian Ring and Ramunap Ruins fulfill the same need
- Cut Adaptive Automaton since it's the worst of the lords (3 mana, weak to artifact destruction, and no secondary ability)
- Cut 43rd land due to addition of Springleaf Drum and Mox Amber
Jan 28, 2019Deck List from January DCM TournamentPosted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
I just finished first in January's DCM double elimination tournament! The main changes I made heading into the tournament include:
- Cutting discard / Mesmeric Fiend effects for Warren Instigator, Goblin Wardriver, Mogg War Marshal, RR Grenzo, Lightning Bolt, and Chain Lightning
- Cutting Foreboding Ruins / Smoldering Marsh (inconsistently enters play untapped) for 9th Mountain and Barbarian Ring
The list felt solid with the exception of two cards: RR Grenzo and Mausoleum Secrets.
- RR Grenzo wants you to spend mana post-combat, which is opposite of what the deck wants to do
- Mausoleum Secret's floor of being a 3 mana Demonic Consultation happens pretty often
Going forward, I'm adding Judith, the Scourge Diva (new addition from Ravnica Allegiance) and Adapative Automaton in place of the two under-performing cards. Also, I didn't think the life loss of Barbarian Ring was worth it. I'll be adding Shizo and Shinka in place of 9th Mountain and Barbarian Ring going forward since there's very little downside to both. Without the discard / Mesmeric Fiend effects, the deck was able to play through Blood Moon much easier and had more synergy with the rest of the deck due to 3 additional relevant goblins.
Dec 20, 2018Made a few small tweaks based on observations in recent games.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
+ Added Fire Covenant: HUGE upside [and high floor] and can win games by itself; Adds another tutor target for Mauseoleum Secrets (below)
+ Added Stingscourger: Tutor-able [although temporary] hard-removal with Goblin synergies
+ Added Ash Barrens: Provides another shuffle effect to clear bottom of library; Another way to fetch Basic Swamp with Blood Moon in hand/play
+ Added Conjurer's Bauble: Cost-efficient library manipulation
+ Added Mauseoleum Secrets: Testing due to possible upside (i.e. Living Death); Should be a 3 mana Demonic Consultation worst case scenario
- Removed Ravenous Chupacabra: Being 2 mana more than Stingscourger makes it difficult to play same turn after tutoring; Double black isn't ideal
- Removed Beetleback Chief: Decent but cut for curve considerations
- Removed Liliana of the Veil: Decent but not as strong as Liliana, the Last Hope
- Removed 2 Mountains: Replaced by Ash Barrens while Aether Vial should really count as 43rd land
P.S. The deck's worst match-up used to be mono-red. However with Zurgo no longer legal as a commander, I think the match-up has flipped 180 degrees. As a result, I think the deck is even-to-favored against the majority of the top tier generals now.
Dec 10, 2018Hi Meideros! I've considered Rakdos Carnarium (helps hit land drops) but it has a couple of strikes against it.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
1. Always comes into play tapped.
2. Can be awkward with Blood Moon / Magus of the Moon.
3. Possibility of getting blown out by Wasteland.
I appreciate the suggestion though. If you've tried it and think it deserves a second look, let me know!
Nov 28, 2018- Added Canyon Slough (in place of Tectonic Edge) for an additional fetch-able dual land with marginal upsidePosted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
- Added Ravenous Chupacabra as a tutor-able hard-removal for problematic creatures
- Added Liliana of the Veil as another high impact Planeswalker
- Removed Grenzo, Havoc Raiser (eliminates need for RR on turn 2)
- Removed Stingscourger (awkward to have in opening hand and very situational)
Nov 16, 2018Deck List from DCM TournamentPosted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
Recently lost in the finals of the second monthly DCM double-elimination tournament. List felt great as already mentioned in my previous post. Here are some of my considerations going forward.
- Grenzo, Havoc Raiser is probably the weakest card; Likely cut to test new/other cards
- Drawing multiple black/colorless-only lands feels really awkward; Likely replacing Tectonic Edge and/or 1 Swamp in the future
- Multiple situational "I win" cards rewards playing more tutors; Gamble and/or Tainted Pact (would require changing the mana base) may be worth testing
- Lord effect of Goblin Trashmaster has been fantastic; Adaptive Automaton may be worth testing again
If there are any cards that might work well with this deck that I'm missing, feel free to post them here! Thanks!
Nov 13, 2018Latest round of updates. Deck feels incredibly smooth now.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
+ Added back Mesmeric Fiend effects (testing indicated additional need for disruption against control/combo)
+ Added back 43rd land (better to have 1 too many land than 1 too few)
+ Added Goblin Trashmaster (too versatile not to include)
+ Testing Grenzo, Havor Raiser
- Removed Warren Instigator and Goblin Motivator (too situational)
- Removed Fire Covenant (covered by Pyrokinesis)
- Removed Krenko, Mob Boss and Lightning Crafter (4 mana with no immediate impact and easily answered)
- Removed Mogg War Marshal (decent but wanted to create additional space)
Edited to fix typo: Changed Goblin Instigator to Warren Instigator
Oct 5, 2018+ Added another section with helpful sequencing/stack tips to remember.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
+ Further broke down "Lands" section into smaller sub-sections (i.e. Dual, Fetch, Scry/Hideaway, Utility, and Basic)
Sep 26, 2018Quick Overview of Recent Changes to Primer / Deck-list:Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
+ Added Goblin Cratermaker and Legion Warboss from Guilds of Ravnica
- Removed Mesmeric Fiend effects to make room for new cards
+ Added back Patriarch's Bidding and Nykthos, Shrine to Nix to increase overall power level of the deck
+ Added back Viscera Seer due to synergy with Grenzo and it nicely filling curve as a 1-drop
- Removed Hellraiser Goblin due to the inherent clunkiness of forcing all of your other Goblins to attack (specifically Grenzo)
+ Added Goblin Motivator to replace Hellraiser Goblin as a haste effect while nicely filling curve as a 1-drop
+ Added both Pyrokinesis and Fire Covenant to complement Living Death as pseudo Plague Wind effects
Overall, the changes have all been very impactful and have led to an increased win percentage across the board. In general, I believe this deck is one of the best-kept secrets in all of Duel Commander.
Jun 22, 2018Yeah, I think maxing fetches is an easy decision. Besides resetting the bottom of your library, it fixes your mana while thinning your deck too (useful for Grenzo in addition to your draws). It's also useful if you're running Grim Lavamancer.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
I'll have to try Piledriver again. It has won me games in the past when combined with a Bushwhacker effect.
You're right about Patriarch's Bidding being a haymaker. I guess I just remember the games where it sits in my hand.
I think Nihil Spellbomb is probably better than Bojuka Bog if you want graveyard hate but that's personal preference.
I think Barbarian Ring is better than Ramunap Ruins if you're looking for that type of effect. With that said, I'm not playing Ring either.
Chandra has been solid. It gives the deck another must-answer threat that isn't vulnerable to sweepers. I personally have liked her more than Liliana of the Veil since it's on color too. With that said, Liliana, the Last Hope has been the most powerful of the 3 for me.
No problem! I tried to send you a PM on Facebook btw. Not sure if you saw it.
Jun 21, 2018Looking at your list for possible cuts, here are a few possibilities.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
Goblin Piledriver - He's always been lackluster for me in the past (requires a board and can be chump blocked). How's he for you?
Mogg Fanatic - Fanatical Firebrand is better if you want that effect (triggers Rabblemaster and deals more damage immediately with lords).
Patriarch's Bidding - Not as good as Living Death and 5 mana is a lot for a situational card.
Comments on your mana base.
Bojuka Bog - CiPT lands tend to be bad in an aggro deck. Usually not worth it unless there's a lot of graveyard strategies in your area.
Ramunap Ruins - Not worth it in my opinion as the deck isn't really a burn deck but could be ok if you're playing against a lot of control.
I added Zhalfirin Void as well so glad to see you're playing it as well. Also, I think you really want to max out on fetches (add Scalding Tarn). This allows you to reset the bottom of your deck when you've scry'ed a bad card down. If you're setting up a Hideaway play, you can always plan accordingly. The reason why I'm not playing Volrath's Stronghold is because it's really mana intensive and doesn't produce colored mana. In general, both my CiPT (scry effects) and colorless (Ancient Tomb, Mutavault, Wasteland, Zhalfirin Void) lands are high impact. I've even cut Tectonic Edge for now.
Jun 20, 2018With Krenko, there's definitely been times where I played him turn 4 and he got answered immediately with a 2 mana removal spell. However, I think his upside is too big to exclude.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
You're right about Boggart Mob being a liability when you don't have at least 2 creatures on board. I was referring more to when you have EtB creatures such as Matron, Ringleader, etc.
Here are my thoughts on some of the new cards:
Goblin Trashmaster - Auto-include. Solves the artifact problem without being reactive/under-powered like Tuktuk Scrapper.
Dark-Dweller Oracle - Huge upside while rewarding us for playing more lands/creatures. I think he's definitely worth testing.
Goblin Instigator - 2nd/worse Mogg War Marshal. Since Mogg War Marshal is good enough, I think he is too. Also, redundancy and his casting cost are both nice.
Volley Veteran - Unplayable.
Plague Mare - Really strong against mana dorks. Essentially second copy of Goblin Chainwhirler but meta-dependent.
I don't like Fiery Confluence because it kills your own creatures. Artifact removal will be available too once M19 is released. Fire Covenant is a high impact card that is one-sided.
Jun 17, 2018Krenko - I personally think Krenko is too strong to cut. Untapping with him is usually enough to win the game. Having the haste lords helps too.Posted in: 1 vs 1 Commander
Goblin Wardriver - I've also cut him from my list.
Hellraiser Goblin - Better against control decks but I can see why you cut him.
I like all of the recent additions you included (Frogtosser, Krenko, Bob, and Revoker). It's always good to have creatures in this deck so I'm glad you increased the creature density again. Grenzo really punishes your opponent for aggressively removing your creatures early on.
Boggart Mob is really good against control because he makes any board state threatening. Reusing EtB effects (i.e. Siege-Gang Commander, Matron, Beetleback Chief, etc.) is just cherry on top. Since there's a lot of aggro in your area, he's ok to cut for now I think. I would strongly consider playing Fire Covenant with that meta-game.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.