Quote from Potdindt »So has Looting become a necessary part of the deck now? I am assuming it is a replacement for thought scour?
Also, when you say Jund them, I am assuming you want the deck to basically become a GR midrange beats deck
Also, lastly, Bomat Courier...why is he good. I cannot see how he will be anything than a 1/1 that dies to literally everything...what am I missing? Is he good enough to lower Delver flipping chance?
The one-power Bomat Courier doesn’t pressure via damage, but via card advantage. Leaving the Construct unchecked results in us drawing multiple cards for a low mana investment, a mechanic that has historically broken tempo decks. Unlike a niche combat keyword like deathtouch, every opponent cares to some degree about card advantage from our deck, since we’ve got everything in there: reach, permission, and of course, more threats. So they’re all incentivized to remove Courier.
Quote from ashtonkutcher »
I find Delver terrible in this matchup. Usually not too tough to seed a couple cards under Bomat, and the draws are great after siding. We basically just want to Jund them. You're crazy for cutting Muta IMO; it gives you free hits and sometimes removal with Bomat, and kills Phantasmal Image for nothing. Critical to blow up their Vials when given the chance or Humans will outpace you. For my plan, see pic attached.
Quote from Lemonbuster »
Pretty similar to what I’ve run being fairly counter heavy game one but the sideboard is very flexible and I go without delver/pyro to bring in Anger quite often. I like that pyromancer gives us a proactive two threat that ignores grave hate, which has been my primary focus in tweaking as it’s always been a major flaw in the deck.
Faithless looting has been good and I’ve played it before but I’m not sure we can afford to be -1 cards that often. 4 is a lot, drawing two early can certainly feel like a mull to 5 that cost you mana as we have no cards that gain value from being pitched.
Quote from ashtonkutcher »
1. I actually started with 18 lands, but found 19 was best for emptying hand with Courier, ensuring I hit early land drops, and enabling sideboard plans. Looting prevents flood.
2. FB for a 4th Denial I guess, but I don't miss mainboard Leaks at all. 6 permission post-side is plenty. Bomat also happens to be insane against linear combo since they skimp on removal and don't block.
3. Yes, often; against midrange and control.
4. I've played in I think a single Comp REL tournament since the Classic. I still go to weeklies at Pandemonium twice a week and play online a lot via free clients (still haven't figured out how to set up MODO on my Mac).
Quote from JacobAddeo »The cards of value I currently own are 3 bloodstained mire, 3 wooded foothills, 1 stomping ground, 1 ancient foundry, 4 goblin guide. Currently my only deck is 8-whack. I love the deck but I also would like to try something new. basically anything that’s not balls to the wall aggro. my first casual deck was a sultai self mill with an aristocrats subtheme. My roots lie in the graveyard and my favorite color combination has got to be b/g. I currently have about $400 to put into a deck with an extra $80 a month for upgrades. realistically I will mostly be playing at a fnm level but I also want to be able to hold my own own at a ptq level.
Quote from izzetmage »It's not enough to have cards that can be casted/reanimated from the graveyard, you need cards that are literally better in your graveyard than your hand.
Quote from mnesci »
@MikePemulis I didn't realize you were on 17 lands. I remember casting Huntmaster postboard with 17, but that was before Looting, and there were definitely times at which it was hard. With your build having fewer creatures and more counters, you might be best off just keeping the "protect the queen" plan going postboard. Blood Moon might be the best three mana haymaker.
Quote from Chaughey »
3. @MikeP pretty basics. I always default to the Unhinged/Unglued but seeing yours reminds me there are other amazing basics sets I need to invest in. I remember getting packets of 5 special "Arena League" basics during Onslaught/Mirrorin block when I’d play FNM and JSS seemed like the pinnacle of my life’s purpose. I think I might switch it up now...