The card seems worth trying. Being able to grab a Vizier/Spellskite/RemCleric/Selfless Spirit/etc... with it is sweet, and it works with a Druid on 2 when you miss your third landdrop which has come up often enough for me.
The first thought is to replace Chord as it has the same functionality. It has increased casting speed (marginally) but lacks instant speed, meaning you don't get to EoT search for Druid and untap with 'haste'. Replacing Compnay means you completely lose the backup card-advantage-value plan which should only really be done for the turbo-druid decks. I don't think that will happen.
If you want to go reeeeeeal deep with it you could cut Ballista and Recruiter as this acts as a finisher. You can drop a ton of creatures by chaining EWits and these together to get up to 7 creatures into play, and if they have an EBridge you can get Knight of Autumn to blow it up. You lose some grinding potential of Recruiter, but gain a lot more silver-bullet finding capabilities.
Overall, I think the loss of Instant speed is very rough, and not being able to grab a Dryad Arbor on T1 is leagues worse than GSZ. My hot take is that the deck won't adopt it completely, but may find some happy medium split of 1 of these and 3 Chords or something, for those times when all your Druids or EWits are in the graveyard, or they exile your Ballista and you need an alternate wincon.
Member for 4 years, 10 months, and 30 days
Last active Fri, Apr, 19 2019 08:34:58
- 0 Followers
- 2,982 Total Posts
- 321 Thanks
Apr 9, 2019One thing I'm interested in with Saheeli is if she is finally the piece that Blood Funnel needs to work. Just like Heartless Summonings, the deck is back if you don't draw it. This is something that the new mulligan rule may be able to fix, so it could be time to take a look at the deck again.Posted in: Modern
Apr 2, 2019As a Tron player since day 1 Modern I get all of the doomsaying for new Karn, but I don't think it'll be that bad. It is another threat in a long line of Tron threats. What it does do is lower the Tron threat cmc overall so that it is easier to play games in which your mana is attacked, and makes the deck more artifact-centric if it is adopted as the norm. I can see cutting some of the more clunky/non-Tron dead threats in favour for 3-4 of new Karn being the norm. Something like -1 World Breaker, -1 Oblivion Stone, -1 Wurmcoil Engine, -1 Walking Ballista will be easy since you can't cast a T3 World Breaker off of natural Tron, and the others so you have one tutorable with Karn, the Great Creator. The deck would then look like this:Posted in: Modern
To go even further, the sideboard toolbox can have every good Artifact <= 3 cmc. The list can include but is not limited to:
Tormod's Crypt/Relic of Progenitus
Chalice of the Void
Pithing Needle/Sorcerous Spyglass
Dragon's Claw/Sun Droplet
Crucible of Worlds
Maybe it's too deep on New Karn, as you open yourself up to more aggro and rely heavily on Bridge, but I'll for sure have fun trying it out!
Mar 31, 2019With the spoilers happening roughly 2 hours from this post I figured we could get the thread up and rolling. We are getting 10 cards spoiled today at PAX East, with spoiler season then taking place over the next three weeks. Feel free to discuss all WAR related cards in this thread and as always remember to abide by the form and subforum rules.Posted in: Modern
With the last few spoiler-free hours what are you hoping for from the set?
Mar 30, 2019This thread will be used for all talk about thePosted in: Modern
GPMagicfest this weekend. As coverage is set on the Mythic Invitational this weekend, we are left with Channel Fireball text coverage only. While we wait for it to be uploaded, feel free to discuss the event while keeping in mind the forum and subforum rules.
Mar 30, 2019Posted in: Deck Creation (Modern)
The new mulligan rule will help the deck for sure because you'll basically be guaranteed a T1 Leyline. The problem of the deck still being weak to graveyard AND artifact hate still remains though. There are too many Surgical Extractions and stuff flying around at this time to make it viable I'm afraid.Quote from x1uo3yd »So, with the upcoming changeover to the London Mulligan, does the Leyline-Shaku gameplan get the strongest boost relative to all other options?
Mar 18, 2019Torpf posted a message on DredgeBrand'Z (Infinite life, infinite mana, infinite turns, infinite EVERYTHING)I picked up the last pieces for the deck and will be taking it for a spin on Wednesday. The list is looking like:Posted in: Deck Creation (Modern)
DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards Combo (17)
4 Goryo's Vengeance
4 Golgari Brownscale
2 Progenitus (Blightsteel Colossus)
1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
Support Cards (21)
4 Insolent Neonate
3 Golgari Thug
4 Stinkweed Imp
4 Faithless Looting
4 Cathartic Reunion
3 Mausoleum Secrets
3 Simian Spirit Guide
Flex Slots / Wincons (3)
1 Noxious Revival
1 Gut Shot
1 Infernal Plunge
4 Bloodstained Mire
2 Wooded Foothills
2 Blood Crypt
1 Stomping Ground
1 Overgrown Tomb
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Dakmor Salvage
3 Fatal Push
3 Collective Brutality
2 Surgical Extraction
4 Nature's Claim
1 Ancient Grudge
Playing both the Plunge win and Gut Shot win as it provides some flexibility to the deck. If I am ahead I can Gut Shot or kill a manadork. Plunge is a fancier kill for when you are behind. This is defiantly not the best configuration for the deck but for taking it out the first time it'll do. Sideboard is built to kill Rest in Peace, Leyline of the Void, and any creatures that pose problems. I have 2 G sources maindeck which should be enough for the 4 Claims. Can just search them out postboard.
There are some other configurations I want to play:
- Searys version with Stitcher's Supplier and more Infernal Plunge maindeck, as it can transition into the Through The Breach sideboard plan much better.
- 4 Creeping Chill maindeck as a Hasty Griselbrand + 4 Creeping Chill = 19 damage so all you need is the opponent to have cracked a fetchland and you will win, and it gives you ~2 more Griselbrand activations to Dredge your whole deck with. Much better when you are behind and would work better with the Gut Shot kill
- 4 Chalice of the Void in the Sideboard and some Discovery // Dispersal maindeck. Most of the deck is 2cmc, so this would protect us from Path to Exile, Surgical Extraction, Relic of Progenitus, Tormod's Crypt which are the biggest problems for us. Then Seal of Primordium can deal with Rest In Peace and Leyline of the Void.
Thought's on these?
Mar 11, 2019No changes as expected. With Modern Horizons, the new mulligan rule, and War of the Spark promising to shake up the format it's going to be a loooong time before we see any changes to the B&R list. Nevertheless, feel free to discuss any and all things modern here, and remember to keep the conversations civil!Posted in: Modern
Mar 11, 2019Posted in: ModernWelcome to the State of Modern Thread!
Lately, Modern community members have expressed interest in talking holistically about the challenges and problems facing Modern. Whether or not Modern has "challenges" or "problems" is up for debate, but what is clear is that people want to talk about all of these issues in one unified setting.
As such, Modern staff are opening this thread as a replacement for the old "Banlist Discussion" thread and the "State of the Meta thread." You can use this thread to talk about any and all of these varied Modern issues and their intersection. This thread will be heavily moderated, so be sure to read the rules before posting; anyone who posts in this thread is assumed to have read and understood these rules.
- Bans, unbans, and all things related to the banlist and banlist policy
- Metagame health and diversity
- Reprint suggestions and reprint philosophy
- New cards and design philosophy
- Prices and Modern finance
- Archetype definitions
- Format health, successes, and challenges
- Anything that constructively relates to these different issues
Prohibited topics and behavior
- All MTGS forum rules and Modern subforum rules apply here.
- Rules spotlight: No flaming (insulting other users) or trolling (baiting other users into a hostile response). Posts must be civil and respectful.
- Rules spotlight: No spamming. Posts must be constructive, on-topic, and supported with evidence and argumentation.
- No format bashing. If you don't like Modern, that's fine, but constructively/respectfully explain why and be optimistic.
- Similarly, do not use this thread to voice grievances, complaints, and personal gripes without constructive/respectful suggestions.
- If you see a user flaming, spamming, trolling, or breaking any other rule, report him/her instead of responding to it.
The mod team will strictly enforce these rules. Please make this a place where people are unafraid to post constructive thoughts.
Due to the history of flaming and trolling in the thread effective immediately any infraction for trolling or flaming will result in a week suspension.
Update from the March 11, 2019 B&R Announcement:
Next B&R Announcement:
May 20, 2019
Current DCI Modern Banned List
Here are some reasons that cards are banned in Modern:
- Some cards enable a top tier deck to consistently win on turn 3 or earlier. Because this violates the "turn 4" rule of the format, the following cards have been banned:
- Other cards have been banned because they make certain decks too consistent/reliable and thus stagnate the format. Here are some examples of these cards:
- Some cards, currently only one, are banned because they were just mistakes. This card is one of the most broken cards of all time and has been banned in almost every format where it was or is legal:
- There are also some cards that were banned for logistical reasons. These cards made tournaments last too long and were banned to make events run smoother. They were not necessarily banned for power reasons.
- Finally, one card is banned because it creates a problematic "battle of sideboards" in Modern.
The following are links to WotC's in-depth explanations as to why cards have or have not gotten banned since the beginning of the format:
Krark-Clan Ironworks is banned
Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Bloodbraid Elf unbanned
October 2017: No changes
March 2017: No changes
Gitaxian Probe and Golgari Grave-Troll are banned
Eye of Ugin banned, Ancestral Vision and Sword of the Meek unbanned
Summer Bloom and Splinter Twin banned
Birthing Pod/Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time banned, Golgari Grave-Troll unbanned
Bitterblossom/Nacatl unbanned. DRS banned
Addition of Second Sunrise
Addition of Bloodbraid Elf and Seething Song
Removal of Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle
3rd Banned List change with explanations
2nd Banned List change with explanations
1st Banned List change with explanations
Community Cup Announcement with the Initial Ban List.
21/01/2019 - 11/03/2019
26/11/2018 - 21/01/2019
01/10/2018 - 26/11/2018
08/20/2018 - 01/10/2018
07/02/2018 - 08/20/2018
04/16/2018 - 07/02/2018
02/10/2018 - 04/16/2018
01/15/2017 - 02/10/2018
10/27/2017 - 01/15/2017
7/18/2017 - 10/27/2017
3/23/2017 - 4/24/2017
3/13/2017 - 3/23/2017
1/9/17 Banlist Update
12/8/2016 - 3/13/2017
9/28/2016 - 12/10/2016
7/18/2016 - 9/30/2016
4/4/2016 - 7/18/2016
1/16/2016 - 4/4/2016
7/13/2015 - 1/16/2016
1/19/2015 - 7/13/2015
7/14/2014 - 1/19/2015
2/9/2014 - 7/14/2014
1/20/2014 - 2/10/2014
6/23/2014 - 1/20/2014
4/22/2013 - 6/23/213
1/27/2013 - 4/22/13
9/20/2012 - 1/27/2013
7/19/2012 - 9/20/2012
Feb 28, 2019This will be the thread for all spoiler, speculation (for now), and set discussion specifically about the new Modern-focused set, Modern Horizons.Posted in: Modern
Here is what we know so far from the livestream on twitch:
- Set contains 254 cards + BAB promo
- Set code for this is "MH1"
- All cards in this set will be all Modern legal (as well as Legacy and Vintage legal), bypassing Standard
- Contains newly designed cards
- Contains newly printed to Modern cards from before 8th Edition
- Reprints will not be of currently Modern legal cards (ie: no fetches, Goyfs, etc...)
- Boosters will sell for $6.99USD on MTGO
- The set will not be available on MTGArena
- Releases June 14th
- Prerelease will be Draft, not Sealed
MagicfestGP DC, Copenhagen, and Seattle will be Modern Horizons Limited.
- There will be a Buy-A-Box promo, which is a new-to-Modern reprint with alternate art
- No more previews until May
A lot of info for the announcement! Sadly, we don't have a lot of cards to look at this time since the release is 3.5 months away. However, they did preview two cards:
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.