Bong Wang thinks problems with moderation not get resolved by shooting messenger
Bong Wang polite yet sincere earnest advice. discussions focused in userbase for too long this not constructive and conductive to reform and improvement site relations.
- Bong Wang MTG
- Registered User
Member for 5 years, 1 month, and 25 days
Last active Wed, Feb, 20 2013 13:28:01
- 0 Followers
- 36 Total Posts
- 3 Thanks
Feb 14, 2013Good Salvation moderators, been reading new subforum with many interest. many disturbing things. have opinion interesting to share with moderators and members of site, but very difficult because been criticised for bad english language, but luck have english person helped translate Bong wang opinion in good language. Here is opinion new member:Posted in: Community Discussion
1) administrators need to be assertive, stop being scared of screwing around, and stop being scared about the users of the site. They need to have the guts to do the right thing, and stop pandering to things such as feelings, or BS like keeping an united front and an illusion of consensus. You have been entrusted with a greater power. Use it for the good of the site instead of being worried in fostering an illusionary consensus with the lower ranks.
1.a) Learn the meaning of leadership
People will respect you for your actions, not for your rank. If people feel you are not honoring your rank, they will call for your dismissal. This is in respect for the rank which they will think you ae unfit for. The correct action would then be to earn the respect your rank commends through your actions, not infracting and banning people because you feel insecure. Most of you are in universities where there are generally short-courses available about leadership (usually given by invited military staff). Attend those courses and learn the true meaning of leadership
2) part of the regular moderators need to think about their subforum best interests instead of trying to enforce their idealized vision of what the subforums could be. Some subforums are very well managed, others are not, and this is the result of a proselitic attitude which is uncalled for. Typically the users know what is the best tone that is warranted for each subforum. Hear them out.
3) stop revising rules, making new rules, or thinking about new rules.
In the past, the site has worked without much hassle with a given set of rules. You are having problems because the rules are not being well applied, and because staff is afraid to exert their best judgment and resorting to common-sense. Rules were very effective in the past, when they were applied with proper discretion. This is no longer true not because of a problem with the rules, but because proper discretion is no longer applied.
moddesks are riddled with kafkian situations fostered by the blind application of rules. this has to stop. Urgently.
3.a) stop being paralyzed by the fear of not being consistent. Trust your gut instead and you will end up being consistent by default.
3.b) try to bring the best members of MTGS onboard, but be careful to chose those who have the capacity of having proper social interactions, both IRL and on an internet medium. Too many staff members lack these capabilities, and it is the administrators task to phase them out to more tech oriented tasks and replacing them with more socially capable new blood.
4) the userbase deserves more respect.
4.1) administrators shouldn't tell users: If you redo X you will be automatically suspended: it is overtly confrontational and creates a deep rift. Users which think have legitimate claims will feel inclined to disrespect the request, leading to unnecessary suspensions and more bad blood.
4.2) stop using derogatory terms to users who frequent the CI subforum, both publicly and privately in the mod lounge. Treating people who air grievance, legitimate or not, as "CI Warriors" is both antagonistic and derogatory to much of the people who just wish to better the site. This has to stop. Now
4.3) Not everyone disagreeing with the staff is automatically trolling. These days, staff members of the higher echelons are so scared to respond to dissenting opinions that they prefer infracting them for trolling. Stop this please. It again creates a rift.
5) Open CI for all users again. Shutting down the subforum for people under 10 posts is idiotic because it encourages gimmicking and mindless ++ for accessing the subforum, and it precludes newcomers from learning about policy discussion and what should be expected from forum dwellers. Stop acting cowardly. If people troll CI act in accordance through all the enforcement means you have at your disposal. You have the power. Don't act like CI warriors are going to steal your lunchbox if you have the guts to reopen the subforum. This will be beneficial for newcomers who are presently clueless about forum rules and policies.
Hope these ideas help staff getting that much needed wake-up call.
MTGS is in need of radical, radical changes.
many thanks to good MTGS moderators, hope Bong Wang good help for site peaceful relationship. Very nice.
Feb 12, 2013Posted in: Magic General
very much agree, this best block card art, very, very nice
Feb 9, 2013Bong Wang MTG posted a message on *** shinbatsu's [BDC] BUDGET DECK CHALLENGE HEADQUARTERS!!! [GTC UPDATES 4/1] ***Have been running small variation of U/W deck from first post with much success, just have used two fountains and supreme veredict. Control deck very stable, only problem with radkos fast builds. Very nice deck, recommend.Posted in: Standard Archives
Feb 9, 2013I ask forgive Mr. Votan administrator, have read carefully all the rules of this very good site, and I not thinking of spam MTGS never, my apologies if my post may have seemed like me not planning to do bad things.Posted in: Community Discussion
It is message understood, now go back to be good member of MTGS without disrespecting rules. Did not mean to offend.
Feb 9, 2013Understand. this like console achievement then, very nice. Are exist other achievements to unlock in mtgsalvation, as incentive to post more? very interesting idea, want to post more to discover new forums .Posted in: Community Discussion
thank you very much for answering question Belgareth.
Feb 9, 2013Apologies if this silly question, but am confused about this subforum. wasn't here when I logged in last time (introduce yourself follows rumor mill). am I with problem in account? Maybe no big problem but very strange thing.Posted in: Community Discussion
Just trying to understand, thank you for explaining, this very good community.
Feb 9, 2013me very new player to standars, the standards format would have preferred would have been old ravnica block and time spiral block, biggest standards format in terms of number of cards, must have been very nicePosted in: Magic General
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.