Quote from SengirVampireIf you're playing against a 7years old boy. They play triskelavus, then create 2-3 tokens. If we use take possession, they simply shoot at their own triskelavus, and then recur. If we take the land, we have to face his flying army, then he plays disenchant or his own take possession...
Quote from hosscat32Many variations of this deck are reaching top 8's however I have a couple of observations about them. First as a generalization this deck has been combined/melded with U/B teachings in a lot of cases. See below for specific examples:
1) Nearly none of them run tarmogoyf.
Is this because he's just too easy to kill and we need more evasive win conditions? Is it better to run something else? What are the compelling arguments for running or not running goyf in this deck?
2) Shadowmage Infiltrator is present in many builds.
I think this is a good inclusion, and can definitely replace Foresee in Ruel's original build in addition to taking a Goyf slot if you decide to remove him from the deck.
3) Triskelavus + Academy Ruins has made it's way into a few builds as well.
This is a better win con than Tarmo in some cases, especially the long game.
4) Tolaria West is in a lot of builds for urborg and Academy Ruins digging.
5) Temporal Isolation is often included for Mystic Enforcer as that additional teachings piece.
Quote from nickthemasterSorry, I misread your original comment.
1) I like Tarmogoyf because he's great against any aggro deck after a Damnation. With a playset of Careful Consideration in the deck, should be easy to pump your own Tarmogoyf anyway.
2) Shadowmage Infiltrator also works very well because UBx teachings can only deal with him via Damnation or Tendrils of Corruption. The only real bad thing about him is that he gets blocked all day by Urza's Factory tokens.
3) I still prefer Bogardan Hellkite over the Triskelavus & Academy Ruins package. We can tutor for the dragon, play in response to attack phase, etc. We really don't need the recursion against aggro anyway with all our hate geared towards them. Against control decks, it always comes down to the factory, so whatever creatures are in the deck are irrelevant.
4) If you run Ruel's list, Tolaria West isn't really needed. If you have cut some of the original drawing spells, then I guess 1-2 copies of the tutor land couldn't hurt.
5) Yeah, it could definitely fit one MD or SB.