Grats Starstorm well played! Any interest in some of the newer cards in Innistrad? Particular interested in your thoughts for:
1. Cathar Commando (Seal of cleansing replacement?)
2. Ambitious Farmhand (for those that play Pilgrims eye?)
3. Malevolent Hermit - harder on the mana, but I've been theorizing this card for a while and I feel like this could push us in the right direction
I actually haven't been paying very close atention to spoilers from the new edition but with prerelease weekend I'm definitly gonna catch up!
About the cards you mentioned.
1. Cathar Commando is a nice card indeed, specially for a common! The 3/1 body and flash are quite nice. The only thing holding it back is the 1 mana activtion on the ability. In the matchups I want to bring it in, Seal of cleansing is permanantly a threat that I can activate at any time, without having to chose if i want to activate it or play something. It's just super mana efficient. In hammertime or affinity we sometimes don't have the luxury of spending that extra mana and the 3/1 body isn't relevant enough for those match ups. It offers the versatility of a surprise blocker that can trade with something, but we already have so much removal that it's kinda redundant. I think it's biggest advantage is the flash speed interaction, and i can certainly see why you could chose this card. But mana efficiency is more important to me than the flash body in those match ups I want to bring my artifact and enchantment hate in.
2. Ambitious Farmhand is an amazing card in my opinion! drawing a plains for 2 mana, with the upside of eventually becoming a 3/3 lifelinker is seriously good! I haven't used Pilgrim's Eye in a long time, and it's advantage is the fact that it can get our island if we need it and it also has flying, to protect us mainly against Stormwing Entity and Murktide Regent. While i have personally fallen out of love with the card, Stéphane for example really likes it and this being one mana cheaper and not in direct competition with our stacked 3 mana drops,i think it's straight up better! I really like my build how it is right now as I don't put that much effort in getting an Emeria activation every game, but in slower builds that relly on it, i can definitly see it almost as an auto include.
3. This card is like a mini Glen Elendra Archmage which is a card that some previous builds have used before! While it lacks the persist and is a Mana Leak for noncreatures intead of a Negate, I can't deny the card feels good! And the disturb side is just a njce bonus for matchups where we want to resolve for example a Teferi, Time Raveler. I haven't given much thought to the card yet but against a meta filled with noncreature spells it seems very good. If combo or control rise in prominence i could see myself playing it.
What have you been theorizing with the card cofeeortea?