The ninth of the Guildmages is also among the most powerful and most facilitating of combos in the pauper format. As the name describes, this deck is part of a series of ten guildmages from the Ravnica Block, each emphasising something different and not related to a core mechanic from Ravnica. At the time of posting, Nivix Guildmage was available and isn't as half as intriguing as this Izzet Guildmage. In a manner similar to the Azorius Guildmage, Izzet allows considerable control and card draw. The upside of the guildmage is more on the offensive however, as it allows for big late game plays by purely replicating a spell as simple as Lightning Bolt many times.
This guildmage is among the more overdone versions, but I hope my choices for cards offer some individuality and allow one to manipulate their spells, even when the guildmage is temporarily dead.
What is Pauper Commander?
1. Same rules as Commander.
2. Commander is an uncommon. It can be any uncommon, not just a legend.
3. Rest of deck must be common in a non-Magic Online(Masters Editions come to mind) printing!
To be strong a Pauper Commander deck must use or have an answer to the 'Four Pillars':
1. Fireball and variants - Red and black have them, be able to survive it.
2. Capsize - Banned in some places, you need to be able to disrupt the buyback.
3. Pestilence and its variants - board sweepers, be ready.
4. Alabaster Potion and variants - Lifegain, the opposite of Fireball.