As Varina, Lich Queen was spoiled with the 2018 Commander release, I knew I finally have the opportunity to make Necromancer’s Covenant work! However, my meta is all over this particular legendary creature with two other decks on the field….so I had to lay low and bide my time and now finally bring forth the ZOMBIE HORDES!! (yes...stating it in CAPS makes them more intimidating!)
After careful consideration, I’ve decided to try for more creative approach other than just mindless zombies. After all, Varina is a Lich Queen - the direction of this deck is going to be a ‘everybody discards’ theme, with the goal of playing out madness cards or otherwise other great cards meant for the graveyard to offset my own discards. The graveyards still a huge part and a zombie deck isn’t a zombie deck without the horde part…but the discard will help me skip past the early game where zombies tend to struggle and will drop me into the mid-late game where zombies tend to thrive. It’s thin…I know….but going to try it out anyways.
Suggestions, comments, and criticism is always welcome!!
All my decks try to adhere to these guidelines:
1) Be able to win.
2) Be mostly true to a flavor and a theme.
3) Be good against one or multiple opponents.
5) Be fun to pilot or to play against and interactive.
6) Have multiple paths to victory.
7) Have lots of cool interactions and synergy.
8) Play out differently every game to keep it fun over a long time.
9) Be streamlined and fast to play without excessive upkeep, time-consuming play or overcomplicated boardstates.
10) Integrate the Commanders abilities into the strategy at least a little, but be able to win without ever playing the commander.
The number in front of the card will denote CMC of the creature/spell.
Our meta plays with 40 life totals and no general damage.