Quote from Tev »Herald of the Host is absolutely bonkers in Trostani. Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed.
Quote from OCPunisher »This format has always had and will always have more and more cards that you could add to any given list, so I usually like to give my feedback in terms of things you could cut (a much, MUCH harder task).
Below are a few things you could shave in order to make room for some more goodies:
[spoiler=Things you could cut]
- Ajani's Pridemate, Voracious Wurm, Ageless Entity, Serra Avatar, etc: No matter how big they are, they're just vanilla bodies. You'll find that you can incidentally make a lot of these in other ways.
- Kitchen Finks, Obstinate Baloth, Pristine Talisman, etc: Your commander will gain you all the life you ever need, so cards that gain you a small amount of life by themselves aren't really necessary.
- Nissa's Renewal: By the time you get to six mana, you should probably be done ramping.
- Nissa's Revelation: This seems like too high of a setup cost to be worth it. You have only 23 creatures, and only ten of them have 3 or more power when you reveal them, so the odds of getting a significant return on your seven-mana investment are pretty low.
- Celestial Mantle: Maybe it's my personal hatred for Auras in this format, but for that cost you could play True Conviction, Collective Blessing, Angelic Chorus, and so many others that are less fragile and more potent.
- Ajani, Mentor of Heroes: Neither of the +1 modes are very exciting, and without effects like Doubling Season, you can't count on hitting the ultimate ability.
- Ajani Goldmane: The +1 isn't very useful, and there are more effective ways to get the same effect as the -1.
- Elspeth Tirel: For one more mana, Elspeth, Sun's Champion is a whole lot more effective.
And while we're at it, a few staples:
A few staples
- Eternal Witness, Sun Titan: Always a good decision.
- Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury: All three modes are things this deck always wants. Harder to find, but worth it.
- Mimic Vat: Especially good at making tokens for Trostani to populate. If you can activate this followed by Trostani's populate ability, the populated copies don't self-exile.
EDIT: Emeria, the Sky Ruin: You have six basics, three duals, and many ways to fetch them up. Then this becomes nearly free value.
- Mistveil Plains: Counts as a Plains.
- Scattered Groves: A 4th fetchable dual is probably better than a non-fetchable dual that gains 1 life.