Hi all! Back again with another Jund deck... I think I have an addiction.
Anyways this deck is supported by a good amount of token gen, a salvaging station package, moderate amount of removal/graveyard hate, sac outlets for shenanigans, and the general that sums it all up.
Shattergang Brothers has a very straight forward group of abilities that require a little bit of thinking outside the box in order to do some work with them. To do this I run a good amount of token gen. I didn't want to load the decklist with token gen though, so instead I chose a group that I felt didn't give me an overabundance but still fueled the machine; an example of this would be Awakening Zone. I also am trying to run as many artifact creature token gen as possible; one of them is Spawning Pit; which also functions as a sac outlet. To back up the artifacts I run a Salvaging Station package and Trading Post for artifact recursion. The enchantments were a little bit harder, but Hammer of Purphoros offer all three of the per-requisites to trigger one of Shatterbros abilities. Otherwise I run enchantments that are auras that come back to my hand without triggering a creature's death; for instance Rancor.
Apart from the general specific cards I run some for card advantage like Graveborn Muse to help me gain an advantage in hand size. This deck also has some non-basic land hate from cards like Destructive Flow to help slow down opponents. Thia deck also has a good bit of removal in it; making sure that I don't have to use the general all the time.
- Ingot Chewer + Krosan Grip - Cutting out the other creature for another removal spell that has split second to hose combo for a turn.
- Offalsnout + Deglamer - I have enough token gen/recurring creatures not to worry about a couple creatures, so I'm adding in a couple more removal cards.
- Chimeric Coils + Chimeric Mass - Cutting one Station piece for another; still fits the package since X=0. As far as I can see the Mass should be better off since it can beat for a a good deal more if I can put enough counters on it; also can still be sacrificed for an artifact or a creature to Shatterbros.
- Thopter Assembly + Myr Battlesphere - Cutting out the Assembly since I had to wait until my upkeep to get it to fire off; that left a rather big window for some artifact tokens. With it removed I wanted to keep the number of artifact token gen the same, so I decided to pay an extra mana for the Battleshpere which will drop in with four tokens. Gladly will pay the one extra for a beatstick and some ETB tokens.
- Despondency + Fallen Ideal - Despondency didn't offer an affect that was good for the deck even though it was only in here to be sacrificed by Shatterbros at some point. Fallen Ideal offers a good ability on an enchantment and can stilled be sacrificed and used for later.
- Dragon Appeasement + Ingot Chewer - The one time I got Appeasement in my hand I didn't have the mana to cast it or the sac outlets to fuel it. Always was a pet card. Put in a Shatter with a possible Diabolic Edict in with Shatterbros ability.
- Scarland Thrinax + Offalsnout - Took out a sac outlet that had a possibility of becoming a beat stick for another creature with a cheap evoke cost that has a solid ability.
I have Rescue from the Underworld in my deck for the time being. It seems to be right on the edge of its utility, like one of those cards that is really close to being cut but not the first thing that comes to mind when I have to make cuts. It is a really expensive reanimation spell and can leave you two-for-one'd, but regardless the Sacrifice effect nets advantage with a Grave Pact effect, and can end up bringing back an additional creature. Just recently I made a play along the lines of:
The end result for my opponents was (if I can remember/do my math correctly) sacrificing 4 creatures apiece and one guy lost his Academy Ruins. Can't remember if I had any Grave Pact effects or Blood Artist effects out, but it really can generate a lot of value.
I have Rescue from the Underworld in my deck for the time being. It seems to be right on the edge of its utility, like one of those cards that is really close to being cut but not the first thing that comes to mind when I have to make cuts. It is a really expensive reanimation spell and can leave you two-for-one'd, but regardless the Sacrifice effect nets advantage with a Grave Pact effect, and can end up bringing back an additional creature.
Card defiantly has the potential to be good in a meta that doesn't have to deal with Torpor Orb or Humility; unfortunately I do not have the luxury of that. This card would also be better off in my Oakenshield list since it is more graveyard based. Although I still don't run enough ETB effects in any of my decks to make this card worth it. Not a bad card overall though; just not good for this particular deck from the meta choices.
I don't care much for the salvaging Station plan. You can get a lot more use out of the Brothers by using cards that make multiple tokens (preferably if they die) than using Station and a few weak one-mana artifacts that you then have to draw. I think replacing the Station and Chimeric Coils with Wurmcoil Engine and Sprouting Thrinax - which both represent threats as well as extra Brother fodder - adds more punch to the strategy.
If you consider PochetteRecharge's advice, you can run Nim Deathmantle with Ashnods Altar for infinite sac's. I used to run those chains in my Sek'Kuar deck. Makes lots of tokens, lots of mana and depending on whats out, lots of triggers.
Black Market would up your CMC average a bit, but in a deck based on Grave Pact and Shattergang, seems like it could be worth it.
I don't care much for the salvaging Station plan. You can get a lot more use out of the Brothers by using cards that make multiple tokens (preferably if they die) than using Station and a few weak one-mana artifacts that you then have to draw.
I'm not sure your seeing what I am using the Salvaging Station/Glissa/Trading Post for. They are recurring artifacts so that I can use the middle ability on Shatterbros multiple times. I already have enough token gen in the deck, and I would like to not clog it up with a bunch of tokens; though I do like the call on Wurmcoil Engine since it would still be either an artifact or a creature that I could sac.
what about Earthlink? your running very few creatures
I have always wanted to run Earthlink, but I never have had the deck for it. And alas this is still not the deck for it. While I only run 14 creatures I have a good amount of token gen that would bone me over if this was on the field. I would totally play it if it said creature card, but it says a creature. Appreciate the input man!