As with all of my decks, themes and synergies are important. This list is trying to focus on the following themes and synergies:
- EXTORT! Ever since I opened nine extort cards in my Orzhov sealed pool at the pre-release, I've been in love with this mechanic. In EDH, it gets even better because one extort trigger hits every opponent. However, I'm not just including every crappy extort guy. Treasury Thrull also recurs things, Blind Obedience shuts off hasty dudes, Crypt Ghast provides lots of mana, Kingpin's Pet flies and has 2 power/3cc, etc.
- Life gain. A high rate of extortion means I'll be gaining life often, so I've tried to include a lot of ways to take advantage of that. Sanguine Bond and the second half of Vizkopa Guildmage are the big ones here.
- Recursion chains. Black and white are especially good at recursion strategies, from classics like Sun Titan/Reveillark to new stuff like Treasury Thrull that also happens to extort. Giodante posted a great thread on mono-white recursion that was very helpful for forming loops that constantly bring things back from the yard.
- Pestilence effects. I've already established the fact that I'm going to be gaining a lot of extra life, and I'm more than capable of bringing back anything that gets killed, so damaging everything seems like it would hurt others a lot more than me.
- Rattlesnakes. People aren't going to like being slowly bled to death one life at a time, so I'm likely to draw some hate. Therefore, packing enough cards to deter people from messing with me will be important. Things like Karmic Justice, Martyr's Bond, and High Priest of Penance will make sure that it hurts to go after me.
- Re-usable spells: The extort mechanic wants me to cast a lot of spells in order to trigger it over and over, so I've tried to include some spells that can be cast repeatedly. Specifically, I'm looking at mechanics like buyback, rebound, retrace, ciper, etc. For example, Evincar's Justice has a buyback option and is also a Pestilence effect, Slaughter is instant-speed removal with buyback and the life-loss is negligible. Phyrexian Reclamation allows me to recast creatures after they've been killed.
- 2 power, 3cc: My favorite recursion engines are Sun Titan and Reveillark. Additionally, Mentor of the Meek also cares about smaller creatures.
Below are the last few cards I was not able to fit into this list, with a brief note on why I want to include them. If anyone has some ideas on how to get them in, I would appreciate it.
- Mind Stone: Another mana rock never hurts, and being able to sac it cheaply for an extra card is also good.
- Pestilence Demon: More Pestilence effects.
- Basilica Screecher, Syndic of Tithes: More extort triggers. Screecher and Syndic are 2 power and < 3cc.