They also did a "build your own standard" format (was it last year? or the year before) and we haven't seen that as a "real" format yet.
Private Mod Note
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
I just want people who redraft to admit this:
"I can't draft objectively unless I am able to guarantee that I receive at least 3 rares. I am also better than most average/new players so I want to make sure that I get the best rares and they end up with worse ones. I care more about the monetary value of cards than actually playing the game for decent prizes."
However, in today's culture of Justin Bieber, Jersey Shore, and Twilight, where every song on the radio, every program on television and every site on the internet is just another monument to the pinnacle of human stupidity, it's certainly not the worst thing that people could be watching.
Sad about Chrome getting banned, since I always thought it was one of the more balanced "free mana" cards in recent history. Lot of potential here, though I'm seeing some cards NOT on the banlist that worry me a little... here's hoping for a new format though.
I like the sound of this format and really hope that they decide to implement it as a new eternal format for paper magic as well.
The banned list basically amounts to-
The decks they've killed:
1. Thopter Depths (killed both of the combos)
2. Counter Top (no top no counter top)
The decks they've weakened significantly:
1. Affinity (still has Darksteel Citadel and all the non land cards but the loss of the 5 colored artifact lands is huge)
The decks they've weakened partially:
1. Dredge (still has a lot of good stuff but looses dredge card which dredges for the most)
2. Combo (the loss of Chrome Mox slows down fast storm combos etc.)\
3. Aggro (the loss of both Skull Clamp and more importantly Umezawa's Jitte weakens any potential aggro decks)
All in all it would make for an interesting format and the bannings ensure that the best combo's and affinity are pretty much out of contention and weaken dredge to a more fair level.
With zendikar fetches and ravnica shocklands the mana would be great and decks like zoo would be viable. Hypergenesis and Faeries would also be good.