Welcome to Clan Flamingo!
From our humble beginnings in 2010, Club Flamingo has slowly grown more and more popular among the Custom Card Contests and Games subforum. As 2011 went on, we slowly started to outgrow our single thread, and we've been seeking to expand. Since the new year we have brought some of that sentiment to fruition and led the charge in bringing innovations to CCC+G, the most recent of which is reviving the idea of a custom cards clan!
The guiding philosophy of Clan Flamingo is to foster innovation, creativity, and camaraderie among custom card creators.
It is my goal to give custom card creators a place to commune, chat, and create while providing support to designers both new and experienced. Different people will get different things from this thread, and that's ok!
Clan Flamingo is an outshoot of Club Flamingo, my fast-growing custom card game, and likewise the members of Clan Flamingo come predominantly from there. As time goes on, I expect that our membership will expand, growing to include more of the subforum and possibly more of MTGS as a whole.
Our common thread is custom card design, of course, as well as an interest in Magic in general, though we all have our own diverse backgrounds and interests.
Because of the nature of this clan, please be respectful and courteous to your fellow posters at all times. Gentle ribbing (and sheep jokes) are allowed at all times, but if you're feeling the need to be mean, please just step away from the computer for a while. Of course, if you have a legitimate complaint about another user feel free to report the post in question (if appropriate) or PM Megiddo regarding the matter.
Clan Flamingo has three main goals:
1. Provide help, support, and advice to new and experienced card designers.
2. Facilitate a community among the card designers of MTGS.
3. Serve as a "new game workshop" to ensure that new custom card games are launched with multiple people behind them and a solid, long-term plan for success.
☆ Tier VI ☆
CrustaceanCrusader Oculus — Representative Flamingo
☆ Tier V ☆ Megiddo — King Flamingo
☆ Tier IV ☆
wolftits — The official "Best Friend" of Clan Flamingo
[The Merchant's Guild]
To become a member of Clan Flamingo, post in the thread requesting to join. If you name appears anywhere on this list, you will be accepted barring unusual circumstances. Otherwise, you will be accepted on a case-by-case basis that essentially boils down to whether you are active in CCC or CCC+G. Activity in Club Flamingo helps you, but isn't required. In addition, please take the Club Flamingo entrance exam. PM your answers to Megiddo.
Up first, some Club Flamingo questions.
1. What was Club Flamingo's original name? Why was it changed to Club Flamingo?
2. Club Flamingo runs a Monthly Qualifier each month that tries to bend the rules and bring some innovative fun to CCC. What was the first CFG and who ran it?
3. There have been many WiJ-style games in CCC. Club Flamingo is neither the oldest nor the most recent. How many WiJ games existed before Club Flamingo?
4. What is the "default" title for Club Flamingo's thread? That is, when there is nothing special happening, what comes after the star in the thread title?
Next, some Clan Flamingo questions.
5. Clan Flamingo has a mascot. What is it? Who created it for us?
6. Clan Flamingo is known to harbor several "small children." Name one. Identifying the Clan "babby" is also acceptable.
7. Clan Flamingo members are required to study extensively the works of a particular user that we admire and hold up as a paragon of card design. Who is this user?
And now, some questions about Megiddo, the clan leader.
8. How many times has Megiddo won Club Flamingo?
9. When given the option, Megiddo strongly prefers a certain converted mana cost and power/toughness for creature cards. What is it?
10. Megiddo is known to be an aficionado of certain creature types. Name one.
Finally, some things to do.
11. Play in Club Flamingo!
12. Post here in the Clan thread!
13. Win a challenge in Club Flamingo!
14. Join us in #flamingopunk and chat!
15. Help somebody design and launch a new custom card game!
DON'T POST ANSWERS IN THE THREAD
To become a friend of Clan Flamingo, post in the thread requesting to be a friend. Barring unusual circumstances I will add you to the list. To chat with the Flamingos, join us in irc! We can be found in the #flamingopunk channel. Not sure what irc is? Look up at the top of your page and click the little "chat" button!
The Flamingo Calendar
January — The Battle Factory (COMPLETE! PanchoPonceN wins!)
February — And Then There Were None (COMPLETE! socrates wins!)
March — Blockbusters (COMPLETE! Rithaniel wins!)
April — Transmogrify That Card (Ongoing)
May — The Labyrinth Adventure (planned)
June-July — The Magic Wars (planning)
A simple, majestic creature. It's piercing glare is unlike that of any other being. According to an Incan legend, the flamingo's leer was capable of looking into the very souls of man. Its carcus was only brought to the most honorable of Incan sacrifices, upon which its eyes were consumed in order to obtain their seemingly insightful power. Often seen with one leg up, the flamingo is constantly unsure of where to head next, it questions if it should be going anywhere at all. Truly, the flamingo has been immortalized in plastic forever, its wonders possibly unbeknownst generations down the line, but its image, its beauty, never forgotten.
Sign me up when my transfer's complete (i.e. When my sig changes)
As somebody totally new to clans, I encourage you and any other Flamingos with clans experience to help me get things here off the ground running. I want this clan to be here for the long run, so any advice is welcome.
EDIT: I did read the clan rules and all of that, so I think I have the basics down...
I'm certainly willing to help get it off the ground, and can probably handle most of that effort. It'd be nice to have someone else working with me in case life gets really busy, so perhaps that's where the clan can step in. I already have an outline of how I'd like to progress through parts of the card, and I can look through the archives to see the pace that things get done.
I think I should just start laying some groundwork to have February go smoothly, rather than start right away.