So here's a place where, with a bit of patience, you can play Magic against other forum members. When you are looking for a game, post which format you'd like to play and hopefully someone will be online that can duel you. Then you describe your actions each turn in posts. If you have something that could trigger a response from you opponent, ask them if they would like to respond before continuing.
Things to Consider
- Autocard is your friend. When playing a card for the first time, Autocard it so your opponent can see the card too.
- Copy-Paste is also your friend. Stuff that you type every turn can easily be pasted into each post and then modified slightly.
- Shorthand is your friend too. You can use abbreviations like "UUD" for Untap, Upkeep, Draw or use mana symbols for basic lands.
- Patience is a virtue. Remember how I said you'd need patience to play? We'll everyone types at their own speed, and Magic can have some complicated turns. But that doesn't mean you should wait forever for someone either. I goldfished a quick game (typing out both players' turns) in under half an hour, a more complex game could take about an hour.
- One duel at a time. More than that just gets confusing.
At the end of your turn, state that your turn is over and then write the following:
- Your life total
- The number of cards in your hand
- Lands you have in play (tapped and untapped)
- Any Non-Land permanents you have in play.
Creatures: Lion (Attacking), Satyr Grovedancer
A brief primer on Autocard and Mana Symbols
Card tags are pretty easy. Put the card name in between two tags: "card" and "/card"
Then you get this: Swamp
Mana symbols are more tricky. There's two ways to do them. You can put WUBRGTX123 between "mana" and "/mana", or you can put "sym_" between two colons. In the _ you can put WUBRG, Q (Untap), or the word tap. If you do this though, you have to put a space between each one, or it won't parse. The spaces won't show up. You can also do hybrid symbols like GW or RG by typing "symgw" or "symrg"
I'd be down to play some post-rotation Standard if I can catch you or somebody online at the same time. Now's not good for me, but I figured I'd at least make my interest known.
By the way, I made the last couple Text Duel threads on the WotC forum before it went to hell. We found that, if both players were familiar with the format enough to not need autocarding, it was sometimes more efficient to use the thread for matchmaking and then take the game itself to a chat room. Just a thought.
Private Mod Note
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Formerly Angrypossum over at the now-defunct WotC forums.
OK. I'm online for like 8 hours. Hopefully someone will come along and play Magic with me. I'll even let you pick my deck - they are all in my signature.
@FuriousMarsupial For me, the reason I liked play-by-post rather than play-by-chat was the summary of the battlefield at the end of each turn, it made things easier to visualize than playing in a chatbox.