- Registered User
Member for 3 years, 1 month, and 17 days
Last active Fri, Jul, 21 2017 22:37:59
- 0 Followers
- 330 Total Posts
- 19 Thanks
Jun 26, 2017I would for sure, only you don't get to draw anything. I'd consider Sensei's Divining Top before Mirri's I think. library has the downside of asking you to draw those cards, you take a super beating from Nekusar style decks. And even our own deck can shut off our Library. Top is resilient and it functions similarly to Mirri's.Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
Jun 24, 2017Enlightened Tutor is fairly inexpensive when I last checked, and the 2/2 lands do have synergy with Sidar. If you do inevitably get Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite they'll be 4/4's and it'll still kill all of their 2/2's.Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
I don't think you should run equipment if you're not running Stoneforge and the good swords. In my opinion that is the only way to do it correctly, and Stoneforge ability bypasses the taxation and Eidolon of Rhetoric.
Beast Within hits lands and Planeswalkers, it is worth running above almost any other type of removal because of that flexibility.
Jun 24, 2017Thank you for the kind words, and I love new hatebear builds. Welcome to the community.Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
- You've got Grand Abolisher x2.
- Since you're running Linvala, try Nature's Revolt - while it is strictly worse, it's much cheaper.
- Not a huge fan of Kataki, War's Wage - unless you've got a heavy artifact deck around.
- It makes sense to not run the sword packages, but Sword of Body and Mind isn't the best choice. Mask of Memory doesn't have stats or protection but is pretty good if you're attacking often.
- I'd play Nature's Claim or Beast Within over Putrefy or Golgari Charm.
- I would consider Toxic Deluge, Retribution of the Meek or even Dusk // Dawn since you're not playing Dark Confidant.
- I've been seeing the positives of cards like Shriekmaw, Bone Shredder and Caustic Caterpillar because of syngeries with Meren and Grim Haruspex.
Also, the main deck is going through some slight revision with Hour of Devastation. I launched a new deck and finished most of the new graphics for the primer. I hope to finish the write-up sometime this summer, Thanks for all the help everyone and look forward to the new ideas people come up with
Jun 20, 2017It could open a Dark Depths alt-wincon. It can be located with Tutors and recursion with the new Crucible of Worlds creature. And if Vampire Hexmage sticks around it becomes a wincon with some purpose. It blanks Triskelion combos as far as I can tell, and infect. It only really hurts Meren of Clan Nel Toth by turning off the reanimation function, but not the return to hand part.Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
All become compelling options.Phyrexian Unlife will not kill us anymore either.
Jun 18, 2017Posted in: Multiplayer Commander DecklistsQuote from uberlegen »I run Torpor Orb and the Gryff, so I probably take out the Orb in favor of this for a while. Might run all 3 though. Spells stapled to creatures continue to dominate the format.
Yeah. It's probably worth playing. Redundancy is necessary and almost every game ending combo is creature related.
Jun 17, 2017Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
Tocaf's Honor Guard1W
Creature - Human Soldier
Creatures entering the battlefield don't cause abilities to trigger.
The Ixalan rare sheet was leaked, and from the blurry image this card was picked out. What does everyone think? Can you ever have enough Torpor Orb effects? Is this just too weak to be considered EDH playable?
Jun 13, 2017It's the Law of Parsimony brought to deck building. Makes sense, I change my Wincons constantly because some cards are bad without the other piece - I have to assume I'm unlikely to draw them together/at any point. So for 3 pieces you add some exponent to it. If the cards are good without each other that's another story.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
Jun 13, 2017Nitpicking would be saying it should cost 1 less because of the drawback of being a creature. But it does do something the turn you play it, despite the missed opportunity to add to the Magus cycle.Posted in: Multiplayer Commander Decklists
Jun 11, 2017I'm was in the process of writing a long draw out essay about how basically you never pick where you sit, there aren't any "combo"/"control" decks by any hard definition and everyone converts the same advantage in relation to everyone else no matter where you sit, and how it doesn't matter if the control player is next to you if they don't answer the person next to them threats/or if they have a way to make them unprofitable to attack (i.e pillowfort). But it all got erased when the battery on my phone died.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
- The words "the Aggro player" means nothing to me.
- I've read the article plenty of times, and still the Rafiq -> Bribery example is baffling. It not only makes a claim that something that did happen would be different if things were different, it can't make a value judgment about Bribery getting Sheoldred.
- What if you could have gotten Sheoldred with your own Bribery?
- So you should have not played your Commander to be able to swing next turn?
- When are you supposed to play it?
- When is it worth knowing you can play your cards? When you know everyone's deck list by heart?
- Can you have, in a million years, known that play was going to happen? If you answer yes "when you could better protect him", what does that mean? Hexproof/Indestructible/Phasing? What if they answer that form of protection? Disadvantage?
- what if no one has answere and keeps passing priority to you? Did your position cause you disadvantage? How could it do that? They didn't have the right cards.
- what if someone doesn't care about a threat? Is it particularly bad for you to act after them? How about before them? Disadvantage?
Jun 10, 2017The only difference I imagine is turn 1. It could help inform, in a small set of circumstances which land you play. As in the first player plays a comes into play tapped land, second player goes land -> sol ring. You can play your Forest if you have Nature's Claim. They already got value from their Sol Ring and perhaps you had to come off your Plains -> Enlightened Tutor to answer it. Same with being "on the draw" vs. Mulliganing down to 5.Posted in: Commander (EDH)
Position makes sense in Poker only because you're in the position with the most amount of information, you see who is betting the pot and how much is on the line. In Magic having access to all of the information doesnt also convert your cards into answers. Also, luck exists. Just because you're the last to act doesn't mean you can play garbage hands. The scenario "equal deck power, plus equal draws seems like it would win games." doesn't give way to variance. Decks SHOULD be assessing threats based on their own self-interests, regardless of position because a life total of 40 is explicit - you lose 40 life you lose. We're looking at Game Theory (threat assessment) and your ability to answer threats will always mean more than your position at the table, and then luck would be a lot more important. And down the line forever until maybe position is a variable. You can, as anyone in statistics knows, adjust for all other variables to bring out what you're looking for.
We have decades of Poker data to look at to basically suggest, all things being equal, luck is the variable. Magic has an unequal distribution of cards in your deck, and that is true for all opponents. All I'm saying is I'd focus less on position and prepare more for bad actors/sub optimal/bad reads on your part and opponents - and a fair amount of bad beats on the part of luck.
I don't imagine a scenario where A or B are ever true. And C is possible if the game was decided on Turn 1.
- To post a comment, please login or register a new account.