cube diminishes commitment to magic?

The cube format has increased my skill in the game as well as my general interest in Magic. I am much more involved in the game because of it.
    Whoa,

This thread is back from the dead, cool.

Quote from Humpty_Dumpty

For me and my friends, diminished commitment to magic is a function of increased commitment to work and families. I suspect cube means our magic commitment is diminished less than it would have been otherwise.

We've had a similar experience, priorities have shifted from MtG to other things. I'm not sure though if the cube has prevented further decline. I have noticed that because of my cube none of my friends has since bought cards, built decks etc etc. Causal relationship; I'm not sure. The other way around though: I know for sure though that one of my friends would not have been playing today anymore if it wasn't for the cube.

I'm quite certain that my playgroup has reached sort of an end stage with incidentally playing MtG, either cubing or playing the same old EDH deck. No more new decks etc.etc. It would be very interesting to know how our current state would be if cube did not exist but unfortunately we'll never know.

cheers,
    lplaat
    I played a proxied full-power Cube a few months back at my FLGS; that was my introduction to the Cube format. Since then I have not been able to invest as much money in new cards and FNM entrance fees as the other players in my local community, and have been falling behind in acquiring the new 'staple' cards as they come out. Building a Pauper Cube has allowed me to continue bringing something that's fun for me and everyone else to play without breaking my budget.
    The last time I had money, I did forgo putting it into cube and instead put it into my standard decks. We do a lot more FNM/TNM than cube, but that's because we all have invested into T2 decks. I'm sure once they rotate out we will cube a lot more often.

EDIT:

Also, as a side note: Cube doesn't really "feel" like Magic. It feels like an out-of-the-box game. Not sure if that makes me like it more or less, but if it's less it's very minuscule!
    Last edited by bone_doc: 4/17/2012 11:00:55 PM
    EDH - R Slobad, Goblin Tinkerer

How to have a good metagame: 1) Make use of what's in the format 2) Play good strategies 3) Don't complain 4) Adapt
    Quote from lplaat
    I've noticed the following in my playgroup:

Since I've built my cube, none of us has since built a new deck or acquired new cards. Additionally we have less and less time (and interest in some) to play magic.

I think interest was dwindling before I built my cube. Cubing is the only way we play magic nowadays, next to EDH (we all have 1-2 EDH decks)). I feel though as if the presence of my cube has accellerated the decline of interest, because non of my friends now feel the need to build new decks or aqcuire new cards/stay informed ("let's just cube").

Can any of you relate to this experience? Cubing is the best format in my opinion and it has been an unprecedented success in my group, apart from the problem mentioned in this post.

Interested to read what you have to say on the subject.

Cheers,
    lplaat

I've only just gotten into Cube... after playing casually since Revised. And I'm definitely considering selling off my entire collection. I don't even know how many cards I have... probably 10,000 - 20,000.

After the 3rd set of every block is released, I'll probably look through the block and put together a fun brew or two together. But definitely not a tier 1 deck. For example, in Innistrad/Dark Ascension, I already have a Curse Deck that I had a lot of fun with in Magic Online. The cards are really cheap and after Avacyn Restored is fully spoiled I play on putting that together. But that'll be the extent of my $$$ into new decks. Then a year later, I'll do the same with the next block and so on.

I really want to cut back on how much I'm spending.

My hope is that the Cube and cheapy block decks will be enough to satisfy my casual brewing needs. I don't play competitively at all, so I never had any itch to keep up with Standard or any other format.

I'm not sure if that "diminishes my commitment to magic." I still like the game. I rarely play, but I still am interested when new sets come out.
    Same thing with my playgroup -- but I don't see this behavior as being caused by the cube.

Rather, the cube is what has kept us playing magic. My playgroup started back shortly after college - and we've been together for a while now. Everyone is growing up - getting married - having kids.

Life gets busy. Priorities change.

The cube is a way that I can play (for basically free) very entertaining games of magic with friends -- and it doesn't get old because the decks are always different.
    Quote from Antknee42
    Cube is the single greatest thing that has KEPT me interested in Magic through moving twice in the past three years. It has kept me wanting to meet more Magic players when I move in order to introduce/play Cube with them, and through that has kept my interest in playing competitively and trading aggressively going.

-AA

I sold my Legacy collection, I thought I was done...but guess what, the cube and this community has kept me entertained ever since.
    WRGUB The GMU CubeWRGUB

http://hgcube.blogspot.com/ (help me Make my Custom CUBE!)

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=382498

The "Make a Proxy Thread

Redit Proxy Article "current gallery"

MY LEGACY ALTERS

Quote from calibretto
    This is why they invented doggy style and backwards cowgirl. And paper bags.
    Quote from stuckpixel
    Same thing with my playgroup -- but I don't see this behavior as being caused by the cube.

Rather, the cube is what has kept us playing magic. My playgroup started back shortly after college - and we've been together for a while now. Everyone is growing up - getting married - having kids.

Life gets busy. Priorities change.

The cube is a way that I can play (for basically free) very entertaining games of magic with friends -- and it doesn't get old because the decks are always different.

That's a good way of putting it.

I can finally sell my collection and get a few thousand dollars and still have the ability to play Magic every once in a while.

And the best thing about Cube is that if I know a bunch of us are getting together, I can just throw it all in a back pack even if we aren't planning on playing Magic at all. If it comes up, if people want to play, then the Cube is there and no one else even had to plan or bring anything else. If not, then whatever, threw an extra backpack of stuff into my car before I left, no big deal.
    Just another old-timer here, it seems. I've always been a casual player. Started in Unlimited. Played during Revised, Ice Age, Legends, The Dark, etc. (That was in Canada). Quit (and gave away my cards :(). 3-4 years later was away for work for an extended period and my housemates played so I picked it up again, collected cards...then quit and gave away my cards. Slant (That was in the US).

After about a 10-year hiatus I got back into it. I have mostly drafted as that's the majority of what happens at FNM down here in NZ. But I'm not competitive so I don't attend the Constructed PTQ's, etc. Anyway, casual is a difficult thing to string together. After I built my cube initially, I've run it a couple of times and I'm now hoping to setup a regular thing - at least once per month. Wish me luck - because cube is awesome.

Cube will keep me in Magic. Call it an end game if you will, but I was never in the game to begin with. Cube is the ultimate casual format from my perspective. I just need to convince all of my EDH-playing friends. Smile Needless to say, if I were to ever give away my cards again (not likely), I'd still keep my cube. I buy for cube.

And yes, it's because children, wife, and career keep a man busy. It must be a good thing to keep a man playing a child's game. Grin
    Quote from Amadeus8574
    Just another old-timer here, it seems. I've always been a casual player. Started in Unlimited. Played during Revised, Ice Age, Legends, The Dark, etc. (That was in Canada). Quit (and gave away my cards :(). 3-4 years later was away for work for an extended period and my housemates played so I picked it up again, collected cards...then quit and gave away my cards. Slant (That was in the US).

After about a 10-year hiatus I got back into it. I have mostly drafted as that's the majority of what happens at FNM down here in NZ. But I'm not competitive so I don't attend the Constructed PTQ's, etc. Anyway, casual is a difficult thing to string together. After I built my cube initially, I've run it a couple of times and I'm now hoping to setup a regular thing - at least once per month. Wish me luck - because cube is awesome.

Cube will keep me in Magic. Call it an end game if you will, but I was never in the game to begin with. Cube is the ultimate casual format from my perspective. I just need to convince all of my EDH-playing friends. Smile Needless to say, if I were to ever give away my cards again (not likely), I'd still keep my cube. I buy for cube.

And yes, it's because children, wife, and career keep a man busy. It must be a good thing to keep a man playing a child's game. Grin

That is great news, I feel 100% the same.
    WRGUB The GMU CubeWRGUB

http://hgcube.blogspot.com/ (help me Make my Custom CUBE!)

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=382498

The "Make a Proxy Thread

Redit Proxy Article "current gallery"

MY LEGACY ALTERS

Quote from calibretto
    This is why they invented doggy style and backwards cowgirl. And paper bags.
    Quote from Happy Gilmore
    That is great news, I feel 100% the same.

Make that two of us. I'm in sort of the same boat myself, actually. Magic is a big part of my life when you consider the time I spend thinking about it, but an extremely small part of it as far as actual time doing it. Actually, that's one of the things I love most about this game: you don't have to actually be playing it to spend time being engaged by it, if that makes sense.

Wife, kids, work...the same story, just different faces.
    Draft my cube at Cubetutor.com! http://cubetutor.com/draft/68
    So what if it does? Magic is a game, not a girlfriend.
    Quote from The Big Dunks

It turns out that the melting ice caps aren't the cause of the rising ocean levels, it's OP's river of tears.

I support the closure of the Gutter.
    Quote from Ratinyourwalls
    So what if it does? Magic is a game, not a girlfriend.

I'm not sure if this is your "answer" to the title of this thread. But if it is then I'd say:

Due to my cube I don't get to be surprised by crazy, fantastic, new decks which my friends (and I) used to make on a regular basis in the past for instance.

I think the title of this thread should have been: cube diminishes commitment to magic of non-cube owners in your playgroup?

thanks for all the input so far,
    cheers,
    lplaat
    Ill offer a different angle if it hSnt been said in a past post yet. I think the OTHER formats affect how much time I spend cubing. unlike standard or limited, cube will remain more or less the 'constant'. When the t2 format was being dominated by cawgo decks a lot of us started cubing more. It was more fun to cube than it was listen to players complain about jace, stoneforge, etc. Recently i've been wanting to play standard again because there are a lot of diverse and unique decks that are viable. When sets rotate there are hundreds of cards a shifting around but only A handfull will affect cube, which is what i meant when I said constant. I do agree cube is the 'best' format though and will always be my favorite. Also YES to the thread question lol. Cube comes first but is affected by how much the other formats can distract me Smile
    Tyler Manti: "I'll attack worth these"
    Bobbert: "I'll play voices from the void"
    Tyler Manti: "That's a sorcery"
    Bobbert: "Oh, well then I'll block with it"
    Tyler Manti: "..."

K2solbri's 450 Card UN-powered Cube
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=388456
    Cube keeps ya into the game, and is a great time spent with friends.

I used to go to tournaments and FNM. But I cannot stand the amount of bad smell, jerks, douches, and social awkwardness at over-cramped card stores. Add to the mix trade sharks, and people just trying to take advantage of each other, and you can count me out. (this is mostly a problem in big cities). I own several legacy and extended decks, and had a few standard decks, but they have fallen into misuse because of the poor tournament community. Still play them with friends, but the scene here in Toronto is pretty bad imo. Perhaps my competitive spark has simply waned, and I just see this issue through tinted glasses.

Cube is far more relaxed, fun, and hosted in locations of my choosing =). Usually on the enclosed roof of my condo overlooking the city and CN tower. Much better.

Nevertheless, my group usually buys 1-2 draft sets of the latest block, and we also draft that. I don't think we would even do that if it wasn't for the cube sparking interest in new cards.
    Last edited by its0v3r9000: 5/3/2012 11:46:58 AM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes