R/G Dragon's Maze deck?

I was just wondering if anyone had any good ideas for a standard r/g aggro deck that I could take to a casual tournament. So far it is mostly gruul cards
    Last edited by TheGreenMan: 5/19/2013 11:55:03 AM
    How much money do you have to invest in the deck?
    Currently playing: GRMonsters
    Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici.
    lets say like 80-100 dollars?
    It's tough, because you can easily spend most or all of that on your mana base alone for some decks. I like to point people towards SCG Open Charlotte winner Steve Kaufmann's R/G aggro deck as a good example:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26178_The-Industry-Standard-Gruul-Get-Win.html

I suggest reading the whole article as well. He makes many good points when it comes to piloting a deck like this.

At the very least I suggest getting a playset of the Rootbound Crag. The shock lands make a huge difference as well, but are pretty pricey.
    While the mana base might be a big part of your budget, you could build a reall solid deck on 100 bucks. And then its all up from there.

4 Lightning mauler
    4 Dryad militant
    4 strangleroot geist
    4 flinthoof boar
    4 burningtree emissary
    4 legion loyalist
    4 ghor clan rampager
    3 wolfir avenger
    3 searing spear
    4 rancor

4 rootbound crag
    4 stomping ground
    14 basics

The deckbtags arent coperating but that is a quick and rough list. Should be wel under your budget. Whats left someone more exoerienced with the deck can point you towards better cards.
    Your deck STILL needs more than 20 lands!

FLGS : Out of commision

Access to MTGO: Unavailable

Developing a EDH playgroup and loving every minute of it!
    @jc: right now, the average price for a Stomping Grounds on TCGPlayer.com is $15/ea and Rootbound Crag $4 ea. That alone is approx. $76 (not including shipping). Figure BTEs at average $2.50 ea, Ghor-Clan Rampager around $1 ea, Rancor @ $3-$4 ea, that alone is already over $100. So while it's possible, R/G isn't as affordable atm as it once was.
    Out of curiosity, ran the above deck through the cart optimizer and it came out to $100 even, $110 before hand. Food for thought to the OP.
    Your deck STILL needs more than 20 lands!

FLGS : Out of commision

Access to MTGO: Unavailable

Developing a EDH playgroup and loving every minute of it!
    Not too bad. I was searching the individual cards to get the average of the prices.
    like any decent deck, r/g can be put together for 70-80 dollars but the dual will double that amount... i suggest assembling the decklist first and then getting the lands later. some definites to consider are BTE, lightning mauler, cackler, hellrider, stormkirk noble, searing spear, rancor, giant growth, ghor-clan rampager
    It seems like Lightning Mauler is starting to lose favor in many R/G decks. Firefist Striker however seems to be gaining popularity lately. Same with the Rancor. While it's a great card, I haven't seen it in too many R/G lists. I think at bare minimum, the 3 main must-haves of a R/G deck are 4 BTE, 4 Flinthoof Boar, and 4 Ghor-Clan Rampager. Cacklers and Stromkirk Nobles are swiftly becoming must-haves as well. Hellrider is gravy if you have/can get it. It wins games by itself.
    I like to point people towards SCG Open Charlotte winner Steve Kaufmann's R/G aggro deck as a good example:

http://www.starcitygames.com/article/26178_The-Industry-Standard-Gruul-Get-Win.html

I suggest reading the whole article as well. He makes many good points when it comes to piloting a deck like this.

I'm curious about this deck, specifically in comparison to a mono red deck. A mono-red deck would appear to offer more haste and thus be faster. What is it that green offers that makes this deck a stronger alternative?
    Green provides Flinthoof Boar, Ghor-Clan Rampager, and Domri Rade. Flinthoof Boar with a mountain on your side is well positioned atm, since being a 3/3 lets it survive against many early drops. And bloodrushing the Rampager can many times make the difference between winning and losing. Domri provides much needed card advantage, especially against control.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes