Naya Blitz

Could someone post the Naya Blitz deck list that Brad Nelson is using Please!

Thanks
    Quote from UD5soul
    Could someone post the Naya Blitz deck list that Brad Nelson is using Please!

Thanks

I'm not sure which exact list Brad Nelson used but I know it was very similar to what Nico Christiansen ran in GP Quebec City. Here's his decklist

Valkyries's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Creatures (33)
    4 Boros Elite
    4 Burning-Tree Emissary
    4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Experiment One
    4 Flinthoof Boar
    4 Frontline Medic
    1 Ghor-Clan Rampager
    4 Lightning Mauler
    4 Mayor of Avabruck

Lands (20)
    4 Cavern of Souls
    1 Rootbound Crag
    4 Sacred Foundry
    4 Stomping Ground
    3 Sunpetal Grove
    4 Temple Garden

Spells (7)
    3 Giant Growth
    4 Searing Spear

It's absolutely vicious. I'm glad you started this thread, I think this deck is worth discussing on it's own as it's very different than the standard naya humans that's been around that's much more mid-ranged.
    Last edited by Valkyries: 2/28/2013 8:16:32 PM
    That deck is amazing, and if you see the games at GP QC, the deck is performing rather well :)..

Buy could anyone help explain the side board?

Ofc. i know that Thalia is coming in against control but the rest i dont know, does anyone have a sideboard plan for this?
    brad nelson's original list only ran 3 frontline medic, no rampager, and 4 giant growth and 21 land. it also ran 4 fiend hunter in the side.

nearheath pilgrim---- mirror/aggro
    boros charm----- supreme verdict/jund
    pacifism---- boros reckoner
    fiend hunter----- boros reckoner
    gruul charm----- stuff that clutters up the ground. also kills nighthawk and lingering souls
    thalia---- farseek stuff, control

the deck is a beast. I'm not really sure I like the existence of it since the hate for it makes my red decks a lot harder to play competitively.

of course the real downside to it is it's inconsistency and the fact that if it doesn't get a good start, then it's just going to flounder and die. Once a midrange player starts interacting with the board or a control player gets off a sphinx's revelation/supreme verdict the game is pretty much over.
    Big thanks to DarkNightCavalier from heroes of the planes studios for the sig!

Current standard decks:

Mono Black black mana
    Gogari dredge black mana green mana

Modern:

Living End black mana red mana green mana white mana blue mana
    The one drops are pretty much useless past-wipe. Topdecking Elite, Experiment One or Champion of the Parish is terrible. I tried, crashed and burned with this deck online vs. Esper and UWR decks as well as vs. zombies.

I've since been running the following:
    Ramon H's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    2 Avacyn's Pilgrim
    4 Boros Elite
    4 Burning-Tree Emissary
    4 Champion of the Parish
    4 Flinthoof Boar
    1 Frontline Medic
    4 Lightning Mauler
    4 Mayor of Avabruck
    1 Mentor of the Meek
    1 Boros Charm
    2 Dangerous Wager
    2 Gruul Charm
    3 Searing Spear
    2 Cavern of Souls
    4 Clifftop Retreat
    4 Rootbound Crag
    2 Slayers' Stronghold
    4 Temple Garden
    4 Stomping Ground
    2 Sacred Foundry
    2 Gather the Townsfolk

Which is still capable of blitzing somewhat, but stronger in the midgame due to some card draw and less 1-drops that need other creatures to do something. Gruul Charm is insane vs. almost anything, I run 2 main and 2 more SB, for this deck it is better than Boros Charm imo. Mentor of the meek makes topdecking a one drop not so terrible and dangerous wager is instant speed draw 2 most of the time after emptying yor hand turn 4.
    Last edited by Ramon H: 3/1/2013 4:41:18 AM
    Overrun. Good Game.

Currently playing/testing:

Standard:

Selesnya Aggro
    Junk Aggro

Modern:

Scapeshift
    I'm having a hard time deciding what to side out of the deck for games 2 and 3, I think I need an in depth tutorial for sideboarding since I don't usually play aggro decks
    #FreeWildNacatl
    I gotta say, I really don't like the list as a long term proposition. Yes, it can pull out surprise wins, but it folds even harder than Rx decks to a single resolved loxodon smiter or any good blocker in general. And if it doesn't win before the verdict hits, it just dies. It's a one trick pony, naya aggro decks in general have a longer term future imo but not this version.
    Competitive RTR block article series - Around the Block
    Quote from Psychobabble
    I gotta say, I really don't like the list as a long term proposition. Yes, it can pull out surprise wins, but it folds even harder than Rx decks to a single resolved loxodon smiter or any good blocker in general. And if it doesn't win before the verdict hits, it just dies. It's a one trick pony, naya aggro decks in general have a longer term future imo but not this version.

On paper I don't disagree with you but the results speak for themselves. This deck just won a gp and if you put any stock in mtgo its been winning there too, generally finishing first and/or going 4-0. Its kinda similar to the old affinity decks, no gas but very explosive. Personally I feel this deck is very legit and while it certainly has weaknesses so does virtually every deck in the format. One thing I do know for sure, its far more aggressive than what zombies was and that ended up winning its fair share pre gatecrash.

In terms of playing aggro, this would be my choice, tho I think eventually mid range will adapt more and cause this deck to consider its "all in" strategy. Cards like supreme verdict will really hurt but usually by that time my opponent is close to dead anyways. It has the same issue other aggro decks do, board wipes and life gain. Imo that doesn't make this deck weak it makes it balanced....
    Quote from Psychobabble

Cards that let you deal with the stuff they play on turns 2-4 (They're usually dead by turn 4-5)

If I get a turn 1 Champion, it grows to a 3/3 or 4/4 by turn 3 and a 5/5 or 6/6 by turn 4-5.
    #FreeWildNacatl
    Built this and 4-0 FNM with my last two rounds against UWR control and UWR tempo. Won both 2-0. Granted, only saw one supreme verdict, but my opponent was at 4 and I drew a Hellrider like a a lucky son of a bitch.

The deck just explodes, and it has multiple paths to turn 3 or 4 kills. Sure it doesn't have any staying power, but it punishes any slight durdle your opponent makes and practically requires several removal spells or a a supreme verdict.

Standard-
    WRG-Naya Humans
    EDH-
    RUG- Animar
    RW- Brion Stoutarm
    I'm pretty sure 4x frontline medic is pretty much a requirement. card is sooo good. I think the only matchup I don't really care for it in is against esper control.

Current standard decks:

Mono Black black mana

Modern:

And it just won again on-camera versus E-Fro's Jund deck. I need to pick up the singles for this before they spike.
    Seeing this deck pop up all over mtgo... It's really hard to interact with once it starts cheating dudes onto the board with BTE or gets battalion online, at least from a R/w aggro players point of view.
    I've yet to decide which style I will play for the DC Open two weeks from now. I've been playing the Midrange version, but it seems to fold very easily vs Naya, the aristocrats and Ur/w/r decks with mortars. It seems like the best midrange decks are running reckoner which the deck has a really hard time beating.
    The blitz version on the other hand seems to have a pretty decent matchup against most of the metagame, the exception being Esper control, but I don't see that deck popping out too much right at the moment.
    3/4 Fiend hunter seems like the right line of play on the sb right now since as of yesterday the last Top 8 was filled with reckoners.

U/R Tempo TwinU/R
    I am debating building this deck on mtgo... But, I am also looking at jund aggro. Can anyone give me some insight on the 2 decks. Pros and cons would be great. Also I hear a lot about people hating out naya blitz. Will this affect Jund aggro the same?
    To some degree yes, since they both have several copies of the same cards working as the core of the deck. Flinthoof boar, burning-tree emissary, experiment one, searing spear, lightning mauller, etc. Your turns 1-2 are essentially the same strategy, so theoretically whatever works to stop you with naya will have a similar impact in Jund(Ex: Reckoner, nearhearth); However, both decks will deal with disruption in a very distinctive way. Naya for example will have pacifism/Bonds of Faith to deal with reckoner, whereas jund would use abrupt decay to get rid of him.
    As for the pros and cons I would say naya is arguably the fastest of the 2 decks. Obviously because of this your control matches are awful game 1 specially if you are on the draw. The deck is also very resilient post sideboard though, and plays pretty nicely with itself as you have a sub tribal theme behind the aggro nature of the deck. jund triumphs in being an all around good deck since the colors give you quite a number of options to shape your sideboard according to the metagame. Plus it doesn't fold as easily vs control.
    Thus I would choose naya blitz as my aggro choice, and jund as my midrange one, as the plethora of spells the color combination gives you works better in a control-type Kind of deck(Big Jund). Not to say the aggro version is strictly worse, but given the current metagame naya seems to perform better as an aggro deck while jund appears to have a pretty solid control shell.
    Last edited by LightningBolt550: 3/4/2013 3:11:22 PM

U/R Tempo TwinU/R
    blitz is freaking boss of a deck. (PERIOD)

giant growth has nver been so good

Chile!
    What is everyone's thoughts on main-boarding Boros Charm or Gruul Charm? I hate to say it but Experiment One is either lack-luster or otherwise unneeded. I'd much rather see a Champion of the Parish or Boros Elite on my T1.

Boros Charm saves us from board-wipes (assuming we don't get medic running) while Gruul Charm is a middle-finger to Lingering Souls and allows for an alpha-strike before they can stabilize.
    Just wondering, but is there a reason that Dryad Militant doesn't see play in this other than it being non-human? There aren't that many ways to push an Experiment One over 3/3 (at least not in Brad Nelson's list), and it's a reliable 2 vs. the battalion 3 on Boros Elite. The exiling spells thing is just a bonus that helps shut down reanimator and other funky decks game 1.

I'm not saying it's flawless or anything, but it seems like a very decent 1 drop that almost no one bothers to include, and I'm wondering if the reason why is escaping me.
    Non human is a big one (anti-synergy with cavern, mayor, CoP), but also there's no shortage of one drop options. I'd rather run wolfbitten captive before I ran militant.
    Quote from WhiteWisper
    What is everyone's thoughts on main-boarding Boros Charm or Gruul Charm? I hate to say it but Experiment One is either lack-luster or otherwise unneeded. I'd much rather see a Champion of the Parish or Boros Elite on my T1.

Boros Charm saves us from board-wipes (assuming we don't get medic running) while Gruul Charm is a middle-finger to Lingering Souls and allows for an alpha-strike before they can stabilize.

it really depends on your meta, but I wouldn't cut experiment for them. Experiment is just another 1 mana 2/2. It's a bonus when it gets to 3/3 though. I think he's slightly better than elite though.

Here's what I'm currently running

Novajoe's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4 stomping ground
    4 temple garden
    4 sacred foundry
    4 cavern of souls
    2 sunpetal grove
    2 rootbound crag

4 champion of the parish
    4 boros elite
    4 experiment one
    4 mayor of avabruck
    4 lightning mauler
    4 flinthoof boar
    4 burning-tree emissary
    3 frontline medic
    2 ghor-clan rampager

4 searing spear
    3 giant growth

Current standard decks:

Mono Black black mana

Modern:

Quote from Psychobabble
    Non human is a big one (anti-synergy with cavern, mayor, CoP), but also there's no shortage of one drop options. I'd rather run wolfbitten captive before I ran militant.

Makes sense. I sorta brainfarted and forgot about Mayor. Don't know how I managed that one.

I may end up sleeving this up for tomorrow night, haven't decided yet. I don't have any Frontline Medics is the only thing. I could probably scrounge them up around town this afternoon, but I'm debating just running it with Silverblade Paladin instead. I realize it's squishier, but it saves me the effort.
    How have you guys found flinthoof boar? He kinda feels lackluster to me. I only run 8 mountains and while the haste is great hes often a 2/2 for 2 with a haste option (that I can't always trigger) which feels meh to me. Thinking about swapping him, maybe go with thalia main since theres more control than aggro here. Thoughts?
    Quote from Valkyries
    How have you guys found flinthoof boar? He kinda feels lackluster to me. I only run 8 mountains and while the haste is great hes often a 2/2 for 2 with a haste option (that I can't always trigger) which feels meh to me. Thinking about swapping him, maybe go with thalia main since theres more control than aggro here. Thoughts?

I agree, but Thalia can't be played with emissary. Gore-house chainwalker may be better than the boar here.
    Yeah, I only really side thalia in when I cut BTEs. The anti-synergy there really hurts, I wouldn't run them together main-deck personally.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes