B/R Vampire in Standard??

As the tittle says do you guys think that there is any possibility to play B/R Vampire on Standard before-post rotation?
    "This is not the end, is just the beginning"

Modern :symu::symb::symr:Cruel Control:symb::symr::symu:
    Probably not competitively. There were not enough good ones printed.
    What do you think it could be like the core of a vampire deck in the actual standard?

Probably something with Stromkirk Noble, Blood Artist, Stromkirk Captain, Vampire Nighthawk, and Falkenrath Aristocrat.
    I thought about this too. One thing that frustrated me though was all the quality 4 drops: nocturnus bloodline oliva aristocrat. Which ones to play?
    I think it depends on how much red you plan to run. Too much red makes Nocturnus a sad panda.

Aristocrat will always be better against control than Olivia in my opinion. But Olivia is tech against most aggro-midrange. Maybe run one depending on your meta and side the other or run 2/2 split?
    "Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then--let it be thus so--and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melinbone and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind--produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us!”

Standard:
    Glissa and Friends:symg::symb:
    Modern:
    Budget Jund:symg::symb::symr:
    Commander:
    Jor Kadeen Voltron:symw::symr:
    At the moment im testing with this core:

Creature: 22
    4 Bloodline Keeper
    1 Falkenrath Aristocrat
    1 Olivia Voldaren
    4 Stromkirk Captain
    4 Stromkirk Noble
    4 Vampire Interloper
    4 Vampire Nighthawk
    Instant: 7
    3 Go for the Throat
    4 Incinerate
    Land: 23
    4 Blackcleave Cliffs
    4 Dragonskull Summit
    3 Mountain
    12 Swamp
    Sorcery: 8
    4 Duress
    4 Sign in Blood

After some testing i like much more Aristocrat than Olivia on the mainboard, maybe on the sideboard it could be nice to have her.

Any advice for a good two drop? I know the artist is good but maybe something more agroo?

I would say Blood Artist over the Vampire Interloper.
    "Bound by hell-forged chains and fate-haunted circumstance. Well, then--let it be thus so--and men will have cause to tremble and flee when they hear the names of Elric of Melinbone and Stormbringer, his sword. We are two of a kind--produced by an age which has deserted us. Let us give this age cause to hate us!”

Standard:
    Glissa and Friends:symg::symb:
    Modern:
    Budget Jund:symg::symb::symr:
    Commander:
    Jor Kadeen Voltron:symw::symr:
    And for sideboard what could be good in general? I have a long time without playing standard so im quite lost here

Hey, I started up a thread discussing standard vamps after M13 about a week and a half ago. Check it out if you want to see what ideas have been floating around.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=426364

Unfortunately, I don't think vampires will be able to push into standard. We got Vampire nighthawk and Nocturnus, but Innistrad really didn't give us too much support outside of stromkirk captain. It sucks that bloodline keeper, falkenrath, and olivia all compete for the 4 drop spot.
    I encourage you to try out my list ^^, by the way for some reason i don't know why i can't post on your thread.

the problem with BR vampires is that they're too slow to compete with standard right now. even after m13 comes out, all we're really adding is some assorted new spells and nighthawk. vampire nocturnus is out unless you keep red to a minimum, but then you miss out on a lot of cards. i love the deck, but there just aren't enough efficient cards for it.

the core should definitely consist of stromkirk captain, blood artist, vampire nighthawk once m13 is out, stromkirk noble, and from there it's really up to you. i personally like to run 3 bloodline keepers, 3 falkenrath marauders, 4 havengul vampires, 2 bloodlord of vaasgoth , and 3 blood seeker. though both vaasgoth and seeker will be replaced by nighthawk once rotation happens.

the reason i run havengul, artist, and seeker is due to the abundance of humans and tokens decks i play. those three really punish them. your slots for spells should definitely go for heavy removal.
    If anyone has any advice for a good 2-drop black or red it would be awesome Smile

I think if you were to play monoblack vamps you'd be better off. Nocturnus making Falkenrath Noble and Blood Artist into reasonable bodies is pretty much gravy, and if you ran enough removal in black, along with some of the Blood Reckonings, I could see the deck being moderately decent. I know you lose some key cards in Aristocrat and Olivia (I could see playing the B/R duals just so you could play a couple), but monoblack just gets so many cards from M13 that I think it's entirely reasonable to cut most of the red out of the vampire decks. Rakish Heir doesn't do it for me as a lord, and Stromkirk Captain is definitely good, but a 2/2 first-striker for that price on it's own seems marginal at best.

Also, Lifelink is pretty amazing in vamps, so I think Child of Night is a worthwhile consideration. Honestly, there isn't much chance for Vamps at all before rotation, but I think if you were to use vamps as the creatures you played a monoblack deck behind, they could see fringe play in tier 2 or 3.
    "The trick to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources." -Albert Einstein
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes