restoration angel

Seems like new tech in UW Delver after 5k Nashville at SCG. People are now hesitant to attack into a delver player with 4 mana open lol. Worse case, it's still a flying beater with a big butt.
    Invisible Stalker/Runchanter's Pike was always the weak link in the deck. Now the deck can make room for better equipment, and the white Vendilion Clique (yea I said it), which can act as a functional counter to removal...as if Delver didn't have enough counters...and as if Delver didn't need another clock...at instant speed. So yea, Restoration Angel is the goods.
    Trying to Grind...
    Standard

Something Young Pyromancer, Junk Hexproof
    Modern
    Kiki-Pod, Eternal Command, RUG Twin, Kavu Justice
    Legacy
    Food Chain
    Trade Binder
    MTG Modern Domain (a Modern Podcast!)

I think another big tech to go along with the angel is the use of FaF instead of WaP. The pro colors are pretty relevant these days and untapping your mana to fully utilize restoration and snapcaster is huge.
    Currently Playing:
    Standard:
    BWU Esper Superfriends BWU
    UR UR Delver UR
    GRW Naya POD GRW

Modern:
    UR Storm UR
    Melira POD (In progress)

EDH :
    RBW Kaalia Of The Vast RBW
    I've seen it for 2 weeks against some delver before nashville. It is quite a problem actually. Flexible too since it can exile something that is target for a removal or as a surprise blocker.
    Currently Playing:
    Standard
    U Devotion
    Modern
    UR Twin
    EDH
    RB Voldaren

"The Emperor Protects"
    I played with a similar deck yesterday and I found the new tech quite good. I usually used the angel after they blocked my Geist or eot for beatdown with no target.
    if you are a delver player don't hasitate and use the new tech.
    BREAKING NEWS:

If you control only a Phantasmal Image and you play Restoration Angel, it HAS to target it, even if it doesn't blink it.

So playing an Angel with only an Image kills the image.

Straight from a Head Judge's mouth

UWRThe only colors I'll ever need RWU

Modern
    --------
    URUUR Tempo-TwinURU
    xUxAffinityxRx
    URUStormURU
    RUGRUG ScapeshiftGUR
    Quote from DXI-Edge
    BREAKING NEWS:

If you control only a Phantasmal Image and you play Restoration Angel, it HAS to target it, even if it doesn't blink it.

So playing an Angel with only an Image kills the image.

Straight from a Head Judge's mouth

so it always targets something, just doesn't necessarily blink it? interesting.
    Currently Playing:
    Standard:
    UW HumansWU
    Record - 49-19-3 - Retired, for now.
    WUDelverUW
    Record - 29-10-1
    Yeah, it actually makes sense. If it didn't have to target, the text would read
    'When [THIS] enters battelfield, you may target a non-Angel creature you control, exile it and then return that card to battlefield under your control.'
    Quote from h4rr0d
    Yeah, it actually makes sense. If it didn't have to target, the text would read
    'When [THIS] enters battelfield, you may target a non-Angel creature you control, exile it and then return that card to battlefield under your control.'

That's true. Good way of putting it, as it was very confusing to me too. I'm pretty sure that my PTQ opponent cheated me on this, although it probably wasn't on purpose. Redface
    Type 1 - Sold all of my cards years ago to play Legacy
    Legacy - Imperial Painter, Elvis, DeathBlade, SneakShow, Shardless BUG, Jund Depths
    Modern - Scape*****, TarmoTwin, Melira Pod, Bogles
    Standard - GW Saito Enchantment, Jund Monsters
    Draft - Modern Masters is gone Crying
    Commander - Norin the Wary, Grimgrin, Adun still in progress (still need Adun)
    eh? the text on the card does state

"When Restoration Angel enters the battlefield, you may exile target non-angel creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control."

Pretty sure you dont have to target something.
    Yea this confuses me to, the card cleary says you may. What am i missing that it must target even if it doesnt blink?
    Quote from crK!
    eh? the text on the card does state

"When Restoration Angel enters the battlefield, you may exile target non-angel creature you control, then return that card to the battlefield under your control."

Pretty sure you dont have to target something.

You MUST target something when casting Restoration Angel, it is an ETB affect like Fiend Hunter. You can then choose to or to not exile the target creature, of course if that creature is an image it will be sacrified.

( I play online and the client creates a trigger, which must be put on the stack and then used to target a creature)

Edit: Since it does go on the stack, you can respond by activating Moorland Haunt or casting Snapcaster etc to create a target for the trigger.
    MTGO: SethDrone
    or you could just not having anything for the trigger. Why would you activate Moorland to create a trigger? it would kill the spirit...

Modern
    --------
    URUUR Tempo-TwinURU
    xUxAffinityxRx
    URUStormURU
    RUGRUG ScapeshiftGUR
    I think you should read it as "you-may-exile" first then "target non angel" therefore it definitely targets.

If you read it as "you-may" then "exile-target-non-angel". It doesn't require a target.
    no i know how it works...i understand. I'm asking why making a spirit for its trigger makes any sense. i mean i guess u don't exile it but is this for the Image thing? because THAT Makes sense, as then u don't kill Image, but to do it just to do it, which is how i read it, makes no sense

Modern
    --------
    URUUR Tempo-TwinURU
    xUxAffinityxRx
    URUStormURU
    RUGRUG ScapeshiftGUR
    ok cheers that makes more sense now.... so image dies if u cast restoration angel with no other possible targets, interesting to know thanks, metamorphs are looking better and better all the sudden yeh??
    Quote from crK!
    ok cheers that makes more sense now.... so image dies if u cast restoration angel with no other possible targets, interesting to know thanks, metamorphs are looking better and better all the sudden yeh??

nope they are not.

Ill take image over metamorph anyway

Modern
    --------
    URUUR Tempo-TwinURU
    xUxAffinityxRx
    URUStormURU
    RUGRUG ScapeshiftGUR
    Edit: Sorry about the silliness. I stand corrected.
    Last edited by Raptor17: 6/5/2012 12:35:15 PM
    Quote from Raptor17
    Absolutely false. The blinking ability is a may ability.

Blinking yes, targeting no.
    MTGO: SethDrone
    Quote from Raptor17
    Absolutely false. The blinking ability is a may ability.

Can you read? This exact misconception has been discussed over and over in this topic already, jeez.

The Angel must choose a target if one is legal when it enters the battlefield. You may then choose whether or not to blink that target. If phantasmal image is your only creature, Angel will automatically target it as the only legal target, and image will die.

As for image vs metamorph: It's tough. I'm so so greedy and being able to get a ton of value out of metamorph definitely appeals to me. I can upgrade an early metamorph to a better option using Angel. I can make a primeval titan that doesn't die to wolf run activations. I can copy consecrated sphinxes and not have it die to gut shot, can copy swords/pikes to race.

But, 2 is so much less than 3, and image costs two mana. And the main reason you have these guys is to legend rule geists and thalias, and to make prime time kill him own wolf runs. Image just does that with so much efficiency that I think it's worth passing up the value.
    Add my MTGO account Ozryel to playtest competitive standard. Currently playing BUG Midrange.
    Other question: for this friday i am really trying to decide between 3 or 4 restoration angels.. Can any1 put me in the right direction? rly just can't decide atm..
    I use 3, don't want to draw to many early.

Signature by Syndarion from Aeternal Studios!

Mhmm Mhmm GET MONEY!!!

STD:
    W RESTORATION ANGEL NAYARG

UWDelve into Angels !!! WU
    4. I can't imagine not having 4 of this card now. Its absolutely insane. I want it every game.
    Standard
    WUDelverUW

Modern
    RWUDelverUWR

EDH
    WWKembaWW
    Quote from Brag
    4. I can't imagine not having 4 of this card now. Its absolutely insane. I want it every game.

I second that. This card is insane.
    Anyone look at Sam Black's list from SCG premium??

Signature by Syndarion from Aeternal Studios!

Mhmm Mhmm GET MONEY!!!

STD:
    W RESTORATION ANGEL NAYARG

UWDelve into Angels !!! WU
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes