[SCD] Entreat the Angels

  • #1
    Now that people have had a chance to play with it (and it's sporting a $20 price tag), I think it's time to give Entreat the Angels a more informed look.

    This was the big bomb in my prerelease sealed pool, and I can say with complete certainty that it's the real deal. This thing ended every game I cast it in, sometimes even without the miracle cost.

    In standard, it strikes me as having a home in white control lists as a finisher. I'm going to try to it out as singleton in GW Aggro/Midrange, simply because I can't resist the temptation to play it in a deck with proper ramp. Sure, it should probably be another Gideon Jura or Hero of Bladehold, but I have to try.

    It goes down hard to Ratchet Bomb and counterspells, but I see an advantage over each: first, unless the ratchet bomb is already play (and with no counters) when you cast this, you at least get one turn to swing in hard. That right there is enough value. Second, its miracle-induced spontaneity and frequent status as a one-of makes it hard to predict. People aren't gonna be saving counters for your random angel dump. Also, Cavern of Souls is gonna push counters out of most lists anyway. They're already less of a threat in general.

    Has anyone else played with it? What do you guys think?
  • #2
    This card is so good at it's miracle cost it almost auto-wins. Everytime I have resolved it at miracle cost I have won the game. I knew this would be one of the better miracles and should have pre-ordered accordingly but of course I'm a natural procrastinator and didn't. This card makes blow-outs. If your opponent can't wipe the board the next turn or get in for lethal the game is over 99% of the time. 1-of in my B/W Tokens is the perfect spot, might increase to 2-of as I do more testing. Can also see a spot for this in Junk Ramp or G/W WRR.

    All in all, this card is great, and will see play in Standard sooner rather than later.
    Last edited by Believeinapathy: 5/1/2012 11:34:42 AM
    Now Playing

    Standard:
    GBWAggressive Junk TokensGBW

    "Some convictions are so strong that the world must break to accommodate them."
  • #3
    Cool card, can't see myself using it in standard though. I just don't feel I would have enough for a dual X cost after paying three white mana.
  • #4
    Quote from oneskywardeye
    Cool card, can't see myself using it in standard though. I just don't feel I would have enough for a dual X cost after paying three white mana.


    You see, there's this new mechanic called Miracle on the card...
  • #5
    And its the exception, not the rule. It would be great if I didn't have it in my opening hand and drew it.
  • #6
    Having played between 12 and 15 games with it as a one-of at the prerelease, it seems that topdecking it is far closer to the rule than an exception.

    I never kept an opening that had it. I could see that ruining otherwise-good hands in Standard, but I don't think that would happen often. It's also manageable in dire need.
  • #7
    From $6 to $20. Screw that!

    I don't need the card THAT bad. I'll wait to see if it REALLY makes a difference in standard before I dump that kind of money into it.

    Modern can crash and burn for all I care

  • #8
    I think this card is pretty insane, but is possibly a little overhyped currently. It encourages tapout control to be pretty aggressive early game, and on top of that if tamiyo and frost titan (to a lesser extent acidic slime) become more prevalent in the metagame, the triple white could be a difficult plan for a finisher.

    Not to mention, in my playtesting, this card is pretty bad against things like negate and mana leak since you tend to tap all of your mana when you cast it.

    I do think it is very powerful, but I don't think it is necessarily an overpowered card and it appears quite balanced for standard. Limited on the other hand: This card is a blowout, plain and simple.
  • #9
    Yeah, with one in your deck, the chances of drawing it before you have 3 mana up (so it would have to be your tenth card or further) are just under one in six. That means that five-sixths of the time you will be able to cast it for Miracle. Hard casting it for 5 is still getting you a 4/4 Flier, and in tokens that's probably a 5/5 Vigilant Flier. No, it's not what I'm playing tokens for, but when I T2 Virtue and T4 5/5 Flying Vigilant, or T5 get two of them, I'm going to win. Especially seeing as I run 4 Hero of Bladehold.

    Topping Entreat the Angels is as good as dropping any of decent threat on curve.

    LOL $20. Managed to get it for a Gravecrawler on Sunday.

    EDIT: The Foil is still at $15 on StarCity.
    Last edited by YamiJoey: 5/1/2012 12:05:08 PM

    Quote from LordSaturn
    I am personally in the 'patents are an unnecessary evil' camp.

    Quote from jturphy
    Quote from H2O4Sho
    Smart move by Wizards, finally
    Yeah. The most profitable portion of the largest toy company in the world had clearly been making terrible decisions the last two years.
  • #10
    I think it's gonna be excellent. In response to tapping out if your playing against a deck running mana leak then don't tap out, leave three open. Even if you only get two 4/4 angels out of it you've still got two 4/4 fliers. Those are gonna be a problem for someone.


    If you're gonna come at the King, you'd best not miss.
  • #11
    It's a Predator Dragon for one more mana that is WWW instead of GRB. It's pretty insane and I'm looking forward to playing it. Glad I pre-ordered.
    Currently Playing
    Legacy
    WW Stax WW
    0-0-0
    Vintage
    GWUNoblefishUWG
    3-1-0
    On Gamble:
    10/4/2004 You might end up discarding the card you searched for.

    Level 2 DCI Judge
    Contributor to the Rules Tip Blog check us out for daily rules and tournament tips! *on hiatus, back in 6 months*
    I collect Foil Innistrad Island #254 Current Count : 152
  • #12
    i seriously dought miracle makes this card decent in standard. you draw it too early its effectiveness is pretty bad. draw it ladder game miracle might set up angel domination.

    in a format where drawing it on your opponents turn is difficult to set up, its definitely not comparable to how effective decree of justice is. with miracle i feel that is what it wants to try to be.

    as long as lingering souls is a viable strategy i'm going to skip over this card in white.
    especially now that titan mana ramp will soon be rotating.
    Collaborative Pub: Ice Cold Thoughts Always On Tap
    Twitter- RogueSource.
    Decks: "Name one! I probably got it built In one of these boxes."
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Vintage will rise again! Buy a Mox today!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    (a Modern adaptation of a vintage proverb" "A control player can lead a jund player to water, but unless you cast spreading seas you cannot make jund drink of their own accord"
    Merfolk! showing magic players what a shower is since Lorwyn!
  • #13
    Yeah, $20 is a bit pricey, but it might actually turn out to be one of the few cards that's actually worth this price. Remember that this went up after people had experienced it, whereas cards like Tamiyo and Temporal Mastery are just high based on perceived value. Entreat the Angels could, in my opinion, open the door for a new Esper Strategy altogether. At the very least, it will see a lot of play in a variety of decks, and I won't be surprised to see it as a 4-of in many of those decks.

    Anyway, I'm glad I managed to nab one while they were still low. Traded a Bruna straight up for one on Friday night (Sat morning). Almost felt bad doing it, and that was when I thought Entreat was still around $10! I should have traded another guy for his foil copy, I would have happily picked it up at $20 or so even then, except that part where he wasn't using sleeves at all and I'm sure by the end of the night his cards were going to stick together like Elmer's. Too bad.

    In short though, I do think this card is going to stay high in value, and it will definitely see a LOT of play in the next couple years. I'd pick them up sooner than later.

    EDIT: Babam you meant Broodmate Dragon. But yes, this card at it's worst is an expensive Broodmate.
    TheRogue, Decree of Justice cost more for the same effect, and the option to cycle it with soldiers is much worse than the possibility of hitting Miracle. I agree they are obviously similar cards, but Entreat the Angels is quite a bit more powerful. Miracle may be finnicky in Standard, but there is no denying it's power. And there will be plenty of decks that are built to abuse Miracle but still function fine on both sides of the Mechanic.
    Last edited by HomelandZecurity: 5/1/2012 2:42:19 PM
    Current decks:


    STANDARD
    RRR Mono-Red RRR

    MODERN
    RGB Jund RGB
    RUG RUG Twin RUG
    RUW WUR DelverRUW


    LEGACY
    RUG RUG Delver GUR
    BUG BUG Delver GUB
  • #14
    I looked at it and thought "Well, it's a better Broodmate Dragon in one color." How much better (since it's slightly worse w/out Miracle, and much better with)? And how good would monocolor Broodmate Dragon itself be in this meta? Wasn't sure of the answers to those (and I'm still not), but "better monocolor Broodmate Dragon" has to be worth a look.

    I ended up preordering enough for myself when it was $5, but no extra copies for speculation. I figured there was no way a mythic rare upgraded monocolor Broodmate Dragon was going to end up at much less than $5, but I wasn't confident it would rise enough for it to be safe as an actual investment.

    I think the current price is somewhat inflated, but I still think the original price was too low. I'm no expert, but I'd guess it will float around as a 1- or 2-of control finisher and occasional ramp target for most of its lifetime in Standard, and the price will probably settle down a bit accordingly. Definitely glad I got mine though, because the type of deck it's likely to be good in is exactly what I like to play.
    Last edited by Dire Wombat: 5/1/2012 2:48:55 PM
    Public Service Announcements
    Take the spoiler season pledge! "Tons of people play Limited. Most cards are made for Limited, not Constructed. I will not post complaining that a Limited card is bad in Constructed."
    Don't do it. Sene explains why.
    Milling from the top of a library is identical to milling from the bottom (barring library manipulation). Keep that in mind the next time someone tells you mill affects card draws.
  • #15
    Just found a BIN for $12.48 after shipping lol.

    Probably going to resell it now Grin

    I'm sure after things settle down, it'll be a $10 card. $20 is ridiculous, I think the format right now is a tad too aggressive for you to survive long enough to get 3 angels out hardcasting
  • #16
    Of course the Miracle cost is nuts. But it's regular cost is a little prohibitive. The format is generally pretty quick so despite my love for the card I really don't think it should be at 20. My answer for control has been sweepers and a small PW suite that still sports significant countermagic.
    Quote from Acardus
    ... It's a build but not really a threat to me.
  • #17
    Naya Ramp, it is happening, this is the finisher. Sigarda, Entreat the Angels, ramp, ramp, WSZ, Gisela, Urabrask. All bold predictions, but hey, each are game ending, right? Ramp helps thin that out, so the chances of 'performing a miracle' (™) is increased greatly.
    Fighting the Nightman, since 1988.

    MTGS egos at their finest.
    Thoughts on proxies:

    Quote from Shady Wolf

    My focus is on playing, and not how much my opponents and I earn.
  • #18
    Quote from apocalypse31
    Naya Ramp, it is happening, this is the finisher. Sigarda, Entreat the Angels, ramp, ramp, WSZ, Gisela, Urabrask. All bold predictions, but hey, each are game ending, right? Ramp helps thin that out, so the chances of 'performing a miracle' (™) is increased greatly.


    And what exactly is Naya using for all this ramp?

    Modern can crash and burn for all I care

  • #19
    Quote from Babam
    It's a Predator Dragon for one more mana that is WWW instead of GRB. It's pretty insane and I'm looking forward to playing it. Glad I pre-ordered.


    I think you mean Broodmate Dragon.

    I personally love the card, and it has replaced white sun as my u/w control finisher of choice. The decks is a little jank, but oh well.

    Btw, winning in sealed after your opponent resolves this all 3 games feels good. Really good.
  • #20
    Quote from LandBoySteve
    And what exactly is Naya using for all this ramp?


    Rampant growth, sphere of the suns, birds of paradise, avacyn's pilgrim, llanowar elves, that new 3 mana 5 color artifact, green sun's zenith, etc. etc. Green is the color of ramp. It would not surprise me a bit to see games in standard decided by who topdecks this miracle card and is able to ride it to victory, I saw it in action at the prerelease and getting 16 power for 6 mana is absurd. Even hardcasting it is fine, as a 5 mana 4/4 flier isn't terrible. But 7 mana for 8 power is reasonably efficient, see broodmate dragon at one mana less and that was quite the card when it was standard legal.

    Expect this to stay high due to its mythic status, now I'm really glad I opened one at the prerelease and didn't trade it. My jaw dropped when I saw it at 20, and I thought the 12.50 buy price on SCG was for foil copies at first but I'm glad I was wrong.

    I expect this will be a gamechanger, just like decree of justice back in the day.
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

    -Freyalise

    Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
  • #21
    Quote from YamiJoey
    Yeah, with one in your deck, the chances of drawing it before you have 3 mana up (so it would have to be your tenth card or further) are just under one in six. That means that five-sixths of the time you will be able to cast it for Miracle. Hard casting it for 5 is still getting you a 4/4 Flier, and in tokens that's probably a 5/5 Vigilant Flier. No, it's not what I'm playing tokens for, but when I T2 Virtue and T4 5/5 Flying Vigilant, or T5 get two of them, I'm going to win. Especially seeing as I run 4 Hero of Bladehold.

    Topping Entreat the Angels is as good as dropping any of decent threat on curve.

    LOL $20. Managed to get it for a Gravecrawler on Sunday.

    EDIT: The Foil is still at $15 on StarCity.


    Your 5/6 math is incorrect. There's a 5/6 chance of it being in your library but there's less than a 5/6 chance of drawing it. The exact odds will vary by how many turns the game goes. Standard is fairly fast right now with 4 turn wins being possible, lets use 6 turns though. This means you're going to draw 5 or 6 cards in addition to the initial 7 you start with so you'll see 12-13 cards in your deck. That's a ~56% chance of seeing the miracle in your opening hand and a 44% chance of top decking it during the game. If you shift the odds to turn 4 or later (so that you have 3 land to use it for 1+ tokens) the card can't function as a miracle for 10/13 cards, thus it only has a 23% chance of being cast as a miracle.

    The longer the game goes the better the odds get for a miracle cast but unless you're playing control the games don't go that long.
  • #22
    I could kick myself for not pre-ordering these at $5 last week. Sometimes being lazy doesn't pay off!

    As for the card itself... I knew from the moment it was spoiled that it was incredible. Without Miracle it's Decree of Justice for 1 less, which is already really good. WITH Miracle, it wins 90% of the games it's cast in. It's absurdly bonkers broken off of Miracle. Expect to see this card a lot in Esper control and G/W/r Wolf Run lists.
  • #23
    Quote from Aazadan
    Your 5/6 math is incorrect. There's a 5/6 chance of it being in your library but there's less than a 5/6 chance of drawing it. The exact odds will vary by how many turns the game goes. Standard is fairly fast right now with 4 turn wins being possible, lets use 6 turns though. This means you're going to draw 5 or 6 cards in addition to the initial 7 you start with so you'll see 12-13 cards in your deck. That's a ~56% chance of seeing the miracle in your opening hand and a 44% chance of top decking it during the game. If you shift the odds to turn 4 or later (so that you have 3 land to use it for 1+ tokens) the card can't function as a miracle for 10/13 cards, thus it only has a 23% chance of being cast as a miracle.

    The longer the game goes the better the odds get for a miracle cast but unless you're playing control the games don't go that long.


    Which is exactly why I see this fitting beautifully into a UW Control shell and acting as a finisher. In fact, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that this may be one of the defining cards for control in the upcoming standard.

    Time will tell.

    Modern can crash and burn for all I care

  • #24
    Just gotta be careful if you're running Alchemy; if you flip 4, and this is one of them, you're definitely not hitting the Miracle.

    But it's still pretty good as a finisher.

    Miracle makes it bonkers. Not sure how much I like just hard-casting it. Guess it's nice that you can pump as much mana as needed into it.
    Quote from Shmanka
    SWAMP IN SIDEBOARD IS TECH!

    Quote from Azure
    Don't tell me you wouldn't tap that...

    Quote from ilovesaprolings
    maybe a sex tape of avacyn and griselbrand

    Quote from Maxinger87
    people really live out their dark side on these forums.

    Quote from JPoJohnson
    Actually... I think he really covered everything with this argument.

    Quote from necrogenesis
    I have heard vague rumors of a moustache-dispensing vending machine in a distant laundromat, across the street from a tattoo parlor. However, this information is shaky, and time is of the essence.

  • #25
    I still dont see it beating out WSZ but white sun isnt going to be in the format eventually


    Magic players have made it abundantly clear that their time is worth $0/hour in their opinion, so no sympathy there. -DR jeebus or something
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Reply
Clear All Quotes