[Official] UBx Tezzeret

Quote from MenaceJDM
    No it doesnt, The level 2 judge at my qaulifier ruled that the metamorph copies all static effects. It isnt coping the card. It is coping the "Thing". So if you copy a 5/5 Vault Skirge, it comes into play as a 5/5 Vault Skirge not a 1/1. If you copy a 5/5 Batterskull, it comes into play as a Batterskull that can't be equiped......etc, However, if you copy an inkmoth nexus, it does come into play as a 5/5 infect flyer, but it losed the end of turn abilities at the end of turn and retains the 5/5 effect of tezz.

Then your level 2 judge needs to reread up on his rulings. It copies the card exactly, not including the changes to the card due to abilities and spells. So it would just be the land, not a creature. Ask the rule gurus in the rules forum, I'm pretty sure they can explain this in a lot more detail with actual quotes from the rulebook.
    Quote from InfinityAlarm
    Madness and genius are separated only by degrees of success.

Courtesy of Maelstrom Graphics
    Quote from Mecha1
    Could I get some comments/criticism on this deck, please?

ILoveArtifacts's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Creatures
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Memnite
    4 Steel Overseer
    3 Spellskite
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph

Sorceries
    4 Preordain
    2 Tezzeret's Gambit

Instants
    3 Go for the Throat
    2 Stoic Rebuttal
    2 Inquisition of Kozilek

Planeswalkers
    4 Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas

Equipment
    1 Sword of Body and Mind
    1 Argentum Armor

Land
    4 Darkslick Shore
    4 Creeping Tar Pit
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    8 Island
    4 Swamp

This is my attempt at assembling a more aggro oriented version of a Tezz deck. Some explanation may be needed for a couple of card choices.

I see most (if not all) of the Tezz decks listed here use Sword of Feast and Famine and/or Sword of War and Peace. I would use them as well, but I sadly don't have them. If I ever get them, they will definitely go in.

Also, I need a lot of advice on the sideboard. This is the first time I've ever attempted to make this kind of deck, so I'm at a bit of a loss....

If you have Stoneforge mystics, I have an extra war and peace. I am trying to acquire Stoneforges.
    Quote from ILoveArtifacts
    If you have Stoneforge mystics, I have an extra war and peace. I am trying to acquire Stoneforges.

Sorry, but I don't have any. Frown
    Lactone's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Artifacts
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    1 Sword of Body and Mind
    4 Tumble Magnet

Creatures
    3 Phyrexian Metamorph
    3 Spellskite
    4 Vault Skirge

Instant
    2 Go for the Throat
    2 Doom Blade
    4 Mana Leak

Sorcery
    4 Preordain
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Despise

Planeswalkers

Land
    3 Creeping Tar Pit
    4 Darkslick Shores
    4 Drowned Catacomb
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 Island
    5 Swamp

I played @ LGS last night, and went 3-0 for 1st place. I didn't lose a single game. It was only 3 rounds because of the low number of people that attended, normally it is a much larger, 4 round event. Regardless, I feel good, as the decks there were definitely competitive.

Round 1: Soul Sisters. Simple.
    Round 2: Caw Blade. I had such a board advantage, it didn't matter. I countered the KEY spells, and used removal on Stoneforeges, and Batterskull Germs. Game 2, he drew lots of lands.
    Round 3: Bant control. Great deck, great games. I really liked this deck, but he just couldn't handle a 14 damage Tezz ultimate. Game 2 he really had good board position, and got me down really low with a Sworded Thrun...but I Metamorphed his sword, and threw it on a 5/5 Vault Skirge, and he just couldn't handle the life swing changes.

I love this deck. I have been a RDW player for YEARS, but I think I finally found the control deck I can appreciate. This IS going to become a tier 1 deck for sure. I have complete and total faith in my brew, and similar control route Tezz brews.
    "Conformity has no authority"
    DECKS

STANDARD:
    UWDelverWU
    LEGACY:
    RGOBLINSR
    RBURNR (Retired)
    WWhite WeenieW (Work in Progress)
    lactone, i am running almost same deck but using two tezz gamits instead of the doomblades.

Did the extra removal help? debating if i should add more removal and take out the gamits.

Very solid build Lactone and congrats on the win! I was thinking of doing a similar build once I got bored of the forgemaster. The only diffeence is I was thinking of doing a couple BSZ for a couple preordains. Did you end up using BSZ much out of the SB and was preordain critical?
    Quote from eflin
    Very solid build Lactone and congrats on the win! I was thinking of doing a similar build once I got bored of the forgemaster. The only diffeence is I was thinking of doing a couple BSZ for a couple preordains. Did you end up using BSZ much out of the SB and was preordain critical?

BSZ was amazing vs soul sisters, drew it twice, both times taking out a Sworded (FnF) hawk or sister. Preordains are really nice for fixing mana/counters/removal/digging for swords. I would never run less than 4 preordains, unless I ran 3 and 2 gambits, which I have thought about doing.

EDIT: BSZ is also 100% necessary vs vamps, and elves. These aren't as prevalent in the meta as they were before, but any aggro matchup is tough, but spellskites act as mini walls, and Zeniths take out the lil guys.

Quote from Icom
    lactone, i am running almost same deck but using two tezz gamits instead of the doomblades.

Did the extra removal help? debating if i should add more removal and take out the gamits.

The extra removal was pivotal in almost every win. Against Caw, you HAVE to get rid of that turn 2 Mystic, otherwise Batterskull will go to town, which is hard to recover from. Honestly, I have even thought about running steel sabotage or more Into the Roils to help combat Caw. Into the Roil is really awesome, it has even acted as a time walk for me from time to time, but then again, one of my favorite cards in magic is Boomerang, so I might be biased. Against aggro, the extra removal is 100% necessary. I originally had in two contagion clasps before I threw the swords in there, but I found myself only proliferating occasionally, late game, where I pretty much had the win anyways, so I took them out. I might take out the despise and put the clasps back in, but we'll see. I like being able to take out a bird and having late game options with Tezz.
    Last edited by Lactone: 5/27/2011 6:02:55 AM
    DECKS

STANDARD:
    UWDelverWU
    LEGACY:
    RGOBLINSR
    RBURNR (Retired)
    Quote from MenaceJDM
    No it doesnt, The level 2 judge at my qaulifier ruled that the metamorph copies all static effects. It isnt coping the card. It is coping the "Thing". So if you copy a 5/5 Vault Skirge, it comes into play as a 5/5 Vault Skirge not a 1/1. If you copy a 5/5 Batterskull, it comes into play as a Batterskull that can't be equiped......etc, However, if you copy an inkmoth nexus, it does come into play as a 5/5 infect flyer, but it losed the end of turn abilities at the end of turn and retains the 5/5 effect of tezz.

Your judge is 100% wrong. Phyrexian Metamorph is a card that is very easy to verify against - compare it to another complex card that has been around for a long time with almost exactly the same mechanics (Clone), but it enters as a copy of the *card* it is copying - with the additional condition that it is an artifact.

From the rulings on clone:

Clone doesn't copy whether the original creature is tapped or untapped. It also doesn't copy any counters on that creature, any Auras attached to that creature, or any effects that are currently affecting that creature -- you get exactly what's printed on the chosen card and nothing more. So if you copy an animated Chimeric Staff, for example, you get a normal, nonanimated Chimeric Staff.
    Last edited by Mavlis: 5/27/2011 8:06:45 AM
    Quote from Lactone

The extra removal was pivotal in almost every win. Against Caw, you HAVE to get rid of that turn 2 Mystic, otherwise Batterskull will go to town, which is hard to recover from. Honestly, I have even thought about running steel sabotage or more Into the Roils to help combat Caw. Into the Roil is really awesome, it has even acted as a time walk for me from time to time, but then again, one of my favorite cards in magic is Boomerang, so I might be biased. Against aggro, the extra removal is 100% necessary. I originally had in two contagion clasps before I threw the swords in there, but I found myself only proliferating occasionally, late game, where I pretty much had the win anyways, so I took them out. I might take out the despise and put the clasps back in, but we'll see. I like being able to take out a bird and having late game options with Tezz.

I run 4 swords. I might remove one sword and run three like you and have one extra removal. Between 3 preodains and 2 tezz gamits and tezz i should have no problem digging for a sword. I am trying to fit in Despise. 3 IOK and 2 Despise should help me with that stoneforge in their hand.
    Quote from Icom
    I run 4 swords. I might remove one sword and run three like you and have one extra removal. Between 3 preodains and 2 tezz gamits and tezz i should have no problem digging for a sword. I am trying to fit in Despise. 3 IOK and 2 Despise should help me with that stoneforge in their hand.

Yeah, despise is nice for the extra targets that are prevalent today that IoK can't hit: Jace, Gideon, Titans, Wurmcoil. Cards that if not dealt with in some way will win games for the opponent.

I think that 3 swords is the perfect number. I have yet to play a game where I didn't get at least 1. I am thinking of removing the B&M for another F&F MD, but I only have 1 F&F right now, so I don't know yet. I still really like the B&M vs Caw, because it prevents Jace bounce, which when done to my 5/5 Skirge is a huge pain in my a$$. The mill can be relevant, and having a free dude never hurts.
    Last edited by Lactone: 5/27/2011 11:35:46 AM
    DECKS

STANDARD:
    UWDelverWU
    LEGACY:
    RGOBLINSR
    RBURNR (Retired)
    Quote from Mecha1
    Sorry, but I don't have any. Frown

Np, thx anyways.
    Quote from MenaceJDM

Here is straight from the rules. check out the examples for clarification.

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

Example: Chimeric Staff is an artifact that reads “{X}: Chimeric Staff becomes an X/X artifact creature until end of turn.” Clone is a creature that reads, “You may have Clone enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield.” After a Staff has become a 5/5 artifact creature, a Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of it. The Clone is an artifact, not a 5/5 artifact creature. (The copy has the Staff’s ability, however, and will become a creature if that ability is activated.)
    Example: Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of a face-down Grinning Demon (a creature with morph {2}{B}{B}). The Clone is a colorless 2/2 creature with no name, no types, no abilities, and no mana cost. It will still be face up. Its controller can’t pay {2}{B}{B} to turn it face up.
    Last edited by dirtyshoes: 5/27/2011 1:35:36 PM
    Quote from dirtyshoes
    Here is straight from the rules. check out the examples for clarification.

706.2. When copying an object, the copy acquires the copiable values of the original object’s characteristics and, for an object on the stack, choices made when casting or activating it (mode, targets, the value of X, whether it was kicked, how it will affect multiple targets, and so on). The “copiable values” are the values derived from the text printed on the object (that text being name, mana cost, card type, subtype, supertype, expansion symbol, rules text, power, toughness, and/or loyalty), as modified by other copy effects, by “as . . . enters the battlefield” and “as . . . is turned face up” abilities that set characteristics, and by abilities that caused the object to be face down. Other effects (including type-changing and text-changing effects), status, and counters are not copied.

Example: Chimeric Staff is an artifact that reads “{X}: Chimeric Staff becomes an X/X artifact creature until end of turn.” Clone is a creature that reads, “You may have Clone enter the battlefield as a copy of any creature on the battlefield.” After a Staff has become a 5/5 artifact creature, a Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of it. The Clone is an artifact, not a 5/5 artifact creature. (The copy has the Staff’s ability, however, and will become a creature if that ability is activated.)
    Example: Clone enters the battlefield as a copy of a face-down Grinning Demon (a creature with morph {2}{B}{B}). The Clone is a colorless 2/2 creature with no name, no types, no abilities, and no mana cost. It will still be face up. Its controller can’t pay {2}{B}{B} to turn it face up.

What about an activated Inkmoth Nexus? Here is a couple of scenarios that I am wondering how they would work.

1: pay 1, activate inkmoth, cast metamorph. What happens to metamorph at end of turn? Stays a 1/1 flying infect or no?

2: pay 1, activate inkmoth, use Tezz's -1 to turn it into a 5/5, cast metamoprh. What happens to metamorph at end of turn? Stay a 5/5 flying infect or a 5/5 regular creature or what?
    DECKS

STANDARD:
    UWDelverWU
    LEGACY:
    RGOBLINSR
    RBURNR (Retired)
    Quote from Lactone
    What about an activated Inkmoth Nexus? Here is a couple of scenarios that I am wondering how they would work.

1: pay 1, activate inkmoth, cast metamorph. What happens to metamorph at end of turn? Stays a 1/1 flying infect or no?

2: pay 1, activate inkmoth, use Tezz's -1 to turn it into a 5/5, cast metamoprh. What happens to metamorph at end of turn? Stay a 5/5 flying infect or a 5/5 regular creature or what?

The mechanics are the same in both of your examples. If you have an activated Inkmoth Nexus, and you cast Phyrexian Metamorph copying it, your Metamorph will copy all of the text of the card it is copying. So it doesn't enter play as a creature at all! It is actually a nonbasic land called "Inkmoth Nexus" with the ability, "1: Inkmoth Nexus becomes a 1/1 Blinkmoth artifact creature with flying and infect until end of turn. It's still a land." Keep in mind that it is also an artifact land, but not because of any text on Inkmoth Nexus--it's an artifact because Phyrexian Metamorph's clone ability stipulates this. It doesn't matter if you've used Tezz's "-1" on the original Nexus, it doesn't matter if the Nexus has been Giant Growthed, and so on. Essentially, you just paid 4 mana to put an extra land into play. If you want to USE that new Inkmoth Nexus, you'll have to pay the activation cost since it enters the battlefield as a nonbasic land.
    Can we stop with the rules discussions? There's a dedicated forum for that.

Does anyone have reports from any tournaments on their Grixis lists?
    Quote from eg2jdm
    Can we stop with the rules discussions? There's a dedicated forum for that.

Does anyone have reports from any tournaments on their Grixis lists?

I gave up on Grixis because Kuldotha Red and Vamps outraced my Pyroclasms and Slagstorms. I spent all my early turns ramping just to die. Although Surge Node may help the deck. But for now, I am bigger on the control/aggro version with UB or UBW.
    First of all here is my decklist
    itchynail's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Creatures (10)
    4 Spellskite
    3 Kuldotha Forgemaster
    2 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Blightsteel Colossus

Artifacts (13)
    4 Tumble Magnet
    4 Everflowing Chalice
    3 Batterskull
    2 Contagion Clasp

Sorceries (10)
    4 Preordain
    3 Duress
    1 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Black Sun's Zenith

Planeswalkers (4)

Land (23)
    4 Inkmoth Nexus
    3 Tectonic Edge
    4 Darkslick Shores
    4 Drowned Catacomb
    2 Creeping Tar Pit
    3 Swamp
    3 Island

Here's a brief report

Round 1 versus Quest

Game 1
    Turn 1: I win the roll and go first. I open on Darkslick, Preordain digging for land with Zenith, Batterskull, Tumble Magnet, Chalice, and Inkmoth in hand. Land, and Land on top from preordain.
    His turn 1: Land, Quest, Memnite, Ornithopter, Mox Opal, Glint Hawk bouncing Memnite, replay memnite. Quest 1 counter from fruition turn 1.
    Turn 2: I go land, chalice, go.
    His Turn 2: Land, swing for 3 pass. Lucky me.
    Turn 3: I zenith for 2.
    His turn 3: Porcelain Legionaire fully charging quest
    Turn 4: Clasp off the top, shortly after he ends up scooping to batterskull, with a cloned tumble magnet on the board.

Sideboard: In 3 Marrow Shards, 2 Hex Parasite, 2 Black Sun's Zenith
    Out 3 Duress, 1 IOK, 2 Forgemaster, 1 Blightsteel

Game 2
    I start with 2 Marrow Shards in hand, the rest of the hand was pretty irrelevant.
    He opens with Memnite, Vault Skirge, and no Quest turn 1.
    Next turn he swings, I respond with Marrow Shards. He plays porcelain legionaire and passes.
    I drop Spellskite and wait for him to give me some value for my second Marrow Shards. Eventually I get another 2 for 1 then take it home with a Batterskull with 2 Spellskites in play doing guard duty.

Games 2-0 Matches 1-0

Round 2 Tez Control - Jace+Tez with counters etc.

Game 1
    He leads with a Hex Parasite, I lead with Duress hitting a Jace.
    There isn't much action for a while, I lay down spellskite, then clone his hex parasite. We stall out after that, he's waiting for an opening to kill spellskite, and hex parasite to be able to play his Tezz. I eventually draw mine and have spellskite to protect from his parasite. He EoT Dismembers (paying 4 life), then kills Tez with his parasite. He proceeds to drop a Jace bouncing my clone with counter backup, then the next turn a Tez and I die to Inkmoth beats 2 turns later.

Sideboard: In 1 Mindslaver, 2 Surgical Extraction, 1 Duress
    Out 1 Blightsteel Colossus, 2 Black Sun's Zenith, 1 Batterskull

Game 2
    This was a really uneventful game, he leads with Hex parasite. I run out Chalice, then tumble magnet, he wastes his turn eating tumble magnet to attack for 4, I drop forgemaster. He runs out tezz with a +1, I untap and sac for mindslaver. Then kill him abusing his Hex Parasites phyrexian mana. I can't say much for this game other than my opponent really misplayed here.

Game 3
    We run out of time around turn 10 with the board stalled, I'm on Tezz, He's on a Jace.

Games 1-1-1 Matches 1-0-1

Round 3 versus W/b Stoneforge weenie?

Game 1
    He plays turn 1 Marsh Flats and ships the turn, I assume he's on darkblade without a turn 1 discard. I run out duress and wiff on a grip full of creatures. Squadron Hawk, Stoneforge, Mirran Crusader, Blade Splicer, and land.
    He proceeds to go turn 2 stoneforge getting batterskull, I go tumble magnet tapping the batterskull for the next few turns, then end up playing a Phyrexian Metamorph cloning it. Eventually he wittles me down to 10 and walks into a 4 for 1 BSZ. From there I sac my -1/1 Forgemaster getting Blightsteel Colossus, then bounce my cloned batterskull. He blocks going to 9 poison then dies at 31 poison after I bash with 2 Colossi (1 Cloned).

Sideboard: In 2 Black Sun's Zenith, 1 IOK
    Out 2 Duress, 1 Blightsteel Colossus (Respecting the possible condemn)

Game 2
    He starts off with turn 1 Student of Warfare, into turn 2 Stoneforge fetching body and mind, then turn 3 hardcast sword, swing for 2. I lay out tumble magnet and spellskite to buy time. Eventually I get BSZ to wipe the board at 6 life. I proceed to lay out more Magnets matching his threats/answers, with a clasp to proliferate, he's currently at 14 life from 2 fetchlands and 2 phyrexian mana hits. I play Tez, proliferate, and ultimate for exactly 14 with 3 tumble magnets(1 Cloned), 1 clasp, 1 chalice (charged to 5 at this point), and 2 Inkmoth Nexus in play.

Game 2-0 Match 2-0-1

Round 4 Cawblade

Game 1
    He wins the roll and goes turn 1 preordain keeping both on top. Already I know I'm in for a tough one. My turn 1 consisted of Creeping Tar Pit. He runs out Stoneforge turn 2 getting batterskull. I play my land, and duress for the batterskull, instead I let him keep it and send a Jace to the bin, knowing he has no counters in hand I play out a magnet to handle the batterskull, then tezz. He didn't have much action after turn 2 to be honest. Eventually I bury him in card advantage from tez, 3 Tumble Magnets (1 Cloned), and a clasp kept all his equipment in check. I killed him with an animated chalice to finish it slowly.

Sideboard: In 2 Twisted Image, 1 IOK, 1 Duress, 2 Surgical Extraction
    Out 1 Blightsteel Colossus, 2 BSZ, 2 Forgemaster

Game 2
    He starts off with Celestial Colonnade, my opener consists of IOK, I rip surgical extraction off the top. IOK shows 2 Stoneforges, divine offering, and a baby jace. I bin the Stoneforge then remove the others with Extraction. He eventually played the sideboarded spellskite like I predicted and just stared at me for a minute after the Twisted Image killed it. He runs out sun titan getting back baby jace, then I clone sun titan and ride it to victory while Tumbling his.

Game 2-0 Match 3-0-1

Overall, I want to add in the full set of Tar Pits to help deal with Jace/Tezzerets. Other than that, I really like the list, Spellskite is just so good for a forgemaster build, it just does so much it's insane.

I didn't feel it was really necessary to maindeck mindslaver, I never found myself really wanting to Forgemaster for it when I either had to win next turn with Blightsteel or die, or mindslaver would simply have little to no effect on the board. However, out of the board when I saw either Hex Parasite, or a Spellskite It was usually an auto win without the risk of walking into a blowout, and unlike Blightsteel it's not a dead draw 99% of the time.

Phyrexian Metamorph on the other hand was amazing all day, I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it. From copying a random sword, equiping an inkmoth and swinging, to just cloning a hex parasite to eat the opposing tezzeret. To even copying a sun titan getting back a tumble magnet.

Feel free to criticize the build, or leave any suggestions.
    Updated my MD and SB, basically changed the swords around MD, and added more Spellskites (this card is 100% insane, especially vs RDW). Link in sig. Post to my blog =]

I played it tonight and went 4-1 (Tied for 1st place). The only loss was to Caw Blade (which was strange because I beat it almost every time I play it). He won 2-0 in the final match (vs. me) because I had 3 lands when he had 7. Game 2 was pretty much a repeat. We played 2 more games for fun, I drew land, and won both of them. Kind of frustrating, but whatever. He was 4-0-1. The other matches were U/B Kibler-esque infect, 2x Valakut Ramp, and another Caw. I won every match 2-0, except vs 1 of the Valakut decks, which got me game 1. Game 2 was a turn 4 Memoricide on Primevil, which just sealed it.

I can't emphasize enough how awesome swords on Inkmoths and Creeping Tar Pits.
    Last edited by Lactone: 5/28/2011 1:16:48 AM
    DECKS

STANDARD:
    UWDelverWU
    LEGACY:
    RGOBLINSR
    RBURNR (Retired)
    Quote from Lactone
    Updated my MD and SB, basically changed the swords around MD, and added more Spellskites (this card is 100% insane, especially vs RDW). Link in sig. Post to my blog =]

I played it tonight and went 4-1 (Tied for 1st place). The only loss was to Caw Blade (which was strange because I beat it almost every time I play it). He won 2-0 in the final match (vs. Caw) because I had 3 lands when he had 7. Game 2 was pretty much a repeat. We played 2 more games for fun, I drew land, and won both of them. Kind of frustrating, but whatever. He was 4-0-1. The other matches were U/B Kibler-esque infect, 2x Valakut Ramp, and another Caw. I won every match 2-0, except vs 1 of the Valakut decks, which got me game 1. Game 2 was a turn 4 Memoricide on Primevil, which just sealed it.

I can't emphasize enough how awesome swords on Inkmoths and Creeping Tar Pits.

How does the deck do vs splinter twin combo?
    Quote from varoan
    How does the deck do vs splinter twin combo?

Tested it against a friend and won 4 in a row. Post Board is silly:

IoK, Duress, Spellskite x4, GfTT x3, Spell Pierce. Hell, I could even bring in Memoricide if it was a strictly combo deck with a bad alt-win condition. But yeah, game 1 can be tough, but saving the leak and GfTT helps a lot.
    DECKS

STANDARD:
    UWDelverWU
    LEGACY:
    RGOBLINSR
    RBURNR (Retired)
    Trying out a new brew of Tezzeret, let me know what you guys think.

Tezzeret BladeMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Artifacts: 8
    2x Batterskull
    1x Sword of War and Peace
    1x Sword of Feast and Famine
    4x Tumble Magnet

Creatures: 15
    1x Wurmcoil Engine
    3x Vault Skirge
    4x Squadran Hawk
    4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Spellskite

Instants/Sorcery: 7
    1x Dismember
    2x Go for the throat
    4x Mana Leak

Planeswalkers: 6
    4x Tezzeret, Agent of Bolas
    2x Jace

Lands: 24
    4x Darkslick Shores
    4x Creeping Tar Pit
    4x Seachrome Coast
    3x Glacial Fortress
    4x Inkmoth Nexus
    1x Marsh Flats
    2x Plains
    2x Swamp

Last edited by Ken34: 6/10/2011 10:56:55 PM

Thanks for the great writeup and congrats on the wins!

My only thoughts are why 3 batter skulls? With the forge masters I think you might be safe with a 1 of and then some other threats. Maybe SOWAP or some more metamorphs?

I also don't know if you need the edge in the SB. I'd probably remove that and 1 duress for 2x despise. It's probably the best option against some more aggro match ups (like vamps)

EDIT: man it's too early in the morning... Didn't even think of myr battlesphere. I'd definitely sub out one batter skull for it. So dirty with tezzs ultimate and gives you fodder for forgemaster.
    Last edited by eflin: 5/28/2011 6:50:41 AM
    I played my Tempered Tezzeret build last night at FNM and went 4-1 in the swiss, won round 1 against red deck handily, lost to Mana Screw against a red deck round 2, , beat Caw Blade with Emeria round 3, beat Valakut round 4, then got paired against an undefeated caw blade player who's top 16ed-32ed 2 GPs recently, he wanted to play, beat him too. Won my top 8 match against Grixis Twin, but then I lost to a homebrew RB deck playing Manic Vandal and a bunch of other creatures with built in 2 for 1s in the main along with about 10 sweepers post board. I destroyed him game 1, but then I dropped 2 memnites, an opal, land, Vault Skirge and Hex Parasite into his turn 2 Pyroclasm when I would have had Tempered Steel out turn 2. He'd already shown black sun game 1 and I'd seen him play Consume the Meek in an earlier match I was watching so the Pyroclasm was unexpected even though I said "Into your Pyroclasm" before passing. Game 3, he black suned on turn 3 and even when I played Tempered Steel turn 4, he had too many Manic Vandals and Skinrenders and managed to keep my board clear while attacking through. I kept my 4 inquisition and brought in 3 Duress +2 Celestial Purge, but never saw them and his sweepers were too much.

The list I ran was

4 Memnite
    4 Hex Parasite
    4 Vault Skirge
    4 Phyrexian Revoker
    4 Steel Overseer
    4 Porcelain Legionaire

4 Inquisition of Kozilek
    2 Dispatch
    4 Tempered Steel

4 Mox Opal
    4 Seachrome Coast
    4 Darkslick Shores
    4 Marsh Flats
    3 Swamp
    3 Plains

Sideboard
    4 Duress
    1 Despise
    2 Dispatch
    3 Surgical Extraction
    3 Divine Offering
    2 Celestial Purge

I think I want to cut Porcelain Legionnaire for Glint Hawk Idol. Flying and immune to sorcery speed sweepers just seem better and the legionnaire was underwhelming, especially against Spikeshot Elder which 2 of my opponents played.
    Surgigal extraction is going to become 2 more Celestial Purge and another Despise. I think Dispatch is going to become 2 Go for the Throat main and 2 Doom Blade in the board. Another change I've thought of is Memnite for Ornithopter as you need to be able to block swords on a bird better and Glint Hawk won't fit that bill very well. Even though I won both of my Caw Blade match ups, there's a lot of it here usually.
    Standard: Mono Blue Aggro, Junk Enchantments
    Modern: Melira Pod, Affinity
    Legacy: Affinity
    Went 2-2 last night with my build last night, once again losing to a Tempered Steel deck and an allies deck. Despite all my removal, I just can't keep up with the speed of their decks and my dead draws. And this time I played as well as I could in both of those matchups. I'm getting really tired of losing to aggro. Don't really have an answer for it either unless I just run nothing but removal. I'm hoping that when I add white it solves my problem because I seem to be under-performing compared to everyone else. I was able to take both matches to 3 games but couldn't answer to 2 Platinum Angels and 2 Myr Battlespheres. I shouldn't be losing to that deck but I never drew Jace and my tar pits got as much as they could in before the second platinum angel hit and I knew I didn't have a way to deal with it unless I top-decked a BSZ. But drew my hundredth land instead.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes