1 Sun Titan

18 Plains
    4 Kabira Crossroads

//Sideboard
    4 Celestial Purge
    3 Kor Firewalker
    4 Revoke Existence
    2 Luminarch Ascension
    Ajani Goldmane sucks, don't play him just because he has something to do with lifegain. Gideon Jura would like to say hello to you.
    Here is my mono white aggro list that took me to 2nd place at FNM, also includes a very tidy lifegain package that usually leaves me sitting at plenty of life, and puts you out of reach of most aggro decks.

Cat Like Thief's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Creatures:
    4 Ajani's Pridemate
    4 Kazandu Blademaster
    4 Soul's Attendant
    2 Wall of Omens
    4 Lone Missionary
    2 Sunblast Angel
    2 Sun Titan
    2 Baneslayer Angel

Other:
    1 Gideon Jura
    1 Silence
    1 Honor of the Pure
    1 Day of Judgment
    4 Journey to Nowhere
    3 Condemn

Lands:
    4 Kabira Crossroads
    4 Tectonic Edge
    17 Plains

I would drop the SoW, I am not a fan of it. I don't like spending the resources. This deck also plays six 6CMC creatures - Titan, BSA, and Sunblast, so I am not going to want to be putting mana into it.
    Against other aggro, especially RDW, the lifegain package always puts it out of reach and if you manage to drop two creatures you have enough blockers to usually make them scoop when they realize they have no gas left. Soul's Attendant is just LOL against Kuldotha Rebirth, especially when you go Wall of Omens next turn.
    I don't play Survival Cache but that just might be a meta call - it would usually just get countered and be a complete waste of 3 mana. And for 3 mana I am not a huge fan of it anyway, as sometimes all it does is gain you 2 life - completely useless. However I see its merits.
    Drop Felidar, I made the deck with Felidar in mind (as winning with him would be really cool) but then realized... wait... Baneslayer Angel.
    I much prefer my creature choices to many of the commonly played - I still hate SoW, on top of that, Serra Ascendant is complete garbage. There are creatures that affect the board a lot more than a 1/1 (that maybe becomes something decent) like Blademaster, which in the aggro match-up is an amazing shut down card as a 2/2 with vigilance and first strike. I play him over SoW for the vigilance alone. It makes him a lot more flexible than SoW, which usually goes in for the attack and gets chumped to death.
    I would try this list out and see how you like it, like I said I 2nd placed an FNM (42 people playing) and it felt damn good. For the record, Eldrazi Ramp with a t5 hardcast Summoning trap into Emrakul beat me in the end (☺☺☺☺ was dope). Right now I wouldn't mind making room for 2 more Omens and 1 more Gideon, but I'll leave that play testing to another day.
    Your deck is fine, but I am not convinced

As for Serra Ascendant that is garbage, do not believe, as you get to 30 lives no stopping it, there are times when Jan the third turn and had the Serra Ascendant 6 / 6. And as for the Felidar , won several times to its ability of 40 lives.

Thanks for your input
    Lol, someone places second in a 42 person FNM using a deck that's like 6 cards apart from yours and you call their opinion garbage? What do you place?

Also, Cat, I would drop Luminarch Ascension because the decks it used to win against are running Ratchet Bomb. It's gonna be hard to get it to ultimate.

Bad ways of misdirecting your opponents:
    Crying, punching, playing footsie, hiding cards in your sleeves, smoke bombs, adorable kittens, screaming, cleaning your fingernails with a knife, cheek kissing, playing shirtless.

Quote from gingerbeard
    You know, I kinda wish I knew exactly what mdilthey's facial reactions were.

Currently Playing:
    Rafiq of the Many
    Saffi Eriksdotter

FuxAlt's banners are kickin'!
    lol
    Quote from mdilthey
    Lol, someone places second in a 42 person FNM using a deck that's like 6 cards apart from yours and you call their opinion garbage? What do you place?

Also, Cat, I would drop Luminarch Ascension because the decks it used to win against are running Ratchet Bomb. It's gonna be hard to get it to ultimate.

I never said anyone's opinions were garbage. I said I thought Ajani and SoW were bad cards! This thread was made to contribute ideas.

And yeah, it probably would get destroyed, however, in all times I sideboarded it in I never actually ended up drawing it.

And no it's not that impressive to 2nd an FNM but I think it shows potential for the deck, which is also really fun to play. I'm just not convinced on Serra's Ascendant right now. It's so aggravating to be at low life and next turn you think whatever this card it, it needs to be huge so I can turn this game around, and then you draw SA. That's my big gripe with it.
    Quote from Cat Like Thief
    I never said anyone's opinions were garbage. I said I thought Ajani and SoW were bad cards! This thread was made to contribute ideas.

And yeah, it probably would get destroyed, however, in all times I sideboarded it in I never actually ended up drawing it.

And no it's not that impressive to 2nd an FNM but I think it shows potential for the deck, which is also really fun to play. I'm just not convinced on Serra's Ascendant right now. It's so aggravating to be at low life and next turn you think whatever this card it, it needs to be huge so I can turn this game around, and then you draw SA. That's my big gripe with it.

Wrong person, Thief- I was talking to the post below your big one. I was defending you. Yustin called YOU garbage Smile
    He really had no basis for the opinion, because not only are you defending your position with facts, you have game records to back up the success/fail.

Crying, punching, playing footsie, hiding cards in your sleeves, smoke bombs, adorable kittens, screaming, cleaning your fingernails with a knife, cheek kissing, playing shirtless.

Quote from gingerbeard

Currently Playing:
    Rafiq of the Many
    Saffi Eriksdotter

No, he was saying that Serra Ascendant wasn't garbage which Cat did indeed say.
    Quote from Cat Like Thief
    I still hate SoW, on top of that, Serra Ascendant is complete garbage.

Yustin's wording just wasn't as easily....discernible.
    Legacy:
    Lands WUBG

EDH:
    Doran WBG
    About Serra Ascendant, it really is that good OMG I would definitely run it. With the dual-lands, manlands, and other little tricks, splashing green in here seems like a great idea to me. I think your thoughts on Kazandu Blademaster are correct and appropriate, so I've made sure to keep him:

mdilthey's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4x Obstinate Baloth
    4x Soul Warden
    4x Serra Ascendant
    4x Ajani's Pridemate
    4x Kazandu Blademaster
    4x Lone Missionary
    2x Baneslayer Angel
    2x Sun Titan
    1x Gideon Jura
    3x Honor the Pure
    4x Journey to Nowhere

4x Kabira Crossroads
    4x Graypelt Refuge
    4x Tectonic Edge
    4x Razorhedge Thicket
    4x Stirring Wildwood
    3x Plains
    1x Forest

I opted for Journey because it recurs with Sun Titan, and you don't need their titan to swing before you can remove it, which is extra value for you. I also included Brave the Elements in the sideboard, which will keep your creatures up through Pyroclasm or Inferno Titan or just plain-old Doom Blades. They're also handy for swinging unblockable ;D
    DoJ can be useful, I'd run it in the board against decks that plan to kill your creatures anyways, like RUG or Destructive Force, so you can recover.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on Soul's Attendant. 1 for a 1/1 Lifelink is not devastating if you're in the early game and you're not getting to 30. To resurrect one that you chumped with pre-stabilization with Sun Titan is to win the game- it's like getting a Baneslayer out of the graveyard. I heartily reccomend giving it another shot with the added consistency of the Graypelts and the Obstinate Baloths if you drop some of your deck's fodder to green splash.

Enjoy Grin Sorry for the misunderstanding with my forum-policing, haha.

Quote from gingerbeard

Currently Playing:
    Rafiq of the Many
    Saffi Eriksdotter

That's cool man Smile

I will have to dry the green splash for sure. But right now, I like keeping things very fast (like turn 5 win fast), and having too many tap lands would be a bit frustrating and hold me back too much, which could just allow the opposing deck to drop the bomb they need to change the board. So I would play the Scars dual and the manland but probably not anything else.
    It seems to be worth a try. But right now the deck is so consistent that I can't imagine dropping anything to splash a whole 'nother color. Of course I won't know until I try. I also don't have like any of those lands or the Baloth so I will have to just proxy them lol. The deck still has room for improvement. I wasn't actually playing the extra DoJ's or Ratchet Bombs at FNM. But now that I did shell out for them with the store credit it is so nice to be able to draw them when I want them. I think it will improve the deck for sure.
    As a U/B control player, this deck is so fun and refreshing and really doesn't have too much of a system - each game is fun to play and different from the last. So maybe it isn't Valakut but it is still very fun and I enjoy winning games a different way every time, it feels like playing casual but in a competitive environment (I am not in any way saying this deck is remotely competitive... but it is fun as hell to play!!)
    You know, that's just my kind of deck list, which is pretty evident from my Venser experiments.

Also, there's no reason why this kind of list can't be competitive in the meta, it has almost an auto-win against Permission Control and Fast Aggro. When you're playing Control, they get hit for 1, 2, 3, 4 so many times it throws them even after removal, and against any sort of fast aggro, you just stabilize at 10+ life with a sun titan or baneslayer and clean up their mess.

The biggest thing I can suggest is increasing the numbers of Honor the Pure, at least three and maybe to four, and maybe Baneslayer to 3. Those will do wonders. Baneslayer with HTP kills titans!

The green splash was for 4 more lands that add a counter to Pridemate and the added 4/4 which takes up the neat little gap between your 5-6 drops and your hand-emptying in turns 1-3. I think that alone probably warrants him, and he won't take much to trade into! Smile

Quote from gingerbeard

Currently Playing:
    Rafiq of the Many
    Saffi Eriksdotter

I think I should say, your list has inspired me to try this myself!

Quote from gingerbeard

Currently Playing:
    Rafiq of the Many
    Saffi Eriksdotter

Check out this thread for Lifegain:

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=253626&page=90
    I think there is a difference between lifegain decks and a white aggro deck with a lifegain package.

Felidar, for example, I wouldn't run him because I don't run an overly enormous amount of lifegain cards. I just run the basics - and mainly so I can escape other faster aggro decks like RDW and destroy them in the midgame.

When it comes to lifegain people seem to come up with complicated combos that net them many points of life. However, I find taking a more aggro strategy in the first place and defining your deck with creatures rather than spells (one reason I don't play Survival Cache or many DoJ's mainboard) makes for a deck with a lot more chance to survive, and win.

I guess it's up to player preference at the end of the day.
    yeah, but Pridemate is really at his best with Soul's Attendant and the other life gain buddies.

Quote from gingerbeard

Currently Playing:
    Rafiq of the Many
    Saffi Eriksdotter

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes