Kiki Pod

Quote from TakeYourShoesOff
    Quote from lev1atan
    First of all big congratulations to Brian for the gp win Smile

Aboout the decklist,i would like to discuss some things and see what is the consensus here:

-Lack of staticaster. Sometimes there is a dead card in hand, but other times i like it a lot, since it has a lot of utility.Iam not sold on removing it.
    -Only 1 exarch and 0 images. This makes the 1 drop and 2 drop into combo and 2 drop and 2 drop into combo imposible. I dont like the image particularly, but sometimes you know the field is clear to combo and you are sitting on 1-2 or 2-2 and without these its imposible.
    - +1 ozze and -1 kitchen. I feel a bit uneasy about just 2 kitchens, but ooze is very good.
    -3 walls and 4 angels. I guess that the 4th angel improves the midrange plan since another wall weakens the beatdown.
    -3 chords . Since he plays 3 walls and walls are good with chords it makes sense.
    -Eternal witness. Not sure about it.

Iam not 100% sold on some things but iam gonna try this decklist for a while.

To be honest i was surprised with this win. Like other ppl in this thread i was kinda worried about kikipod position in the new meta, since combo has been rising, and our g1 against them isnt very good,but iam very happy about brians win nonetheless Smile ┬┐Maybe we were exaggerating and we are better positioned than we thought or we should take this victory with a grain of salt?

I also question these dicesions but they worked out for him. I don't like three walls but I respect his choice on chord. With that said I think three is way too many. I still feel like it's a bit clunky but it might be a nessecary evil at this point. I think I'll test with two in place of domri. That mean dill have to up my wall count to two. Probably dropping Huntmaster. I think we are still not super well positioned with the rise of twin. My personal nightmare matchup. I am also very pleased with his win. I'm pumped to see us get put back on the map.

He has 2 Combust on the SB, i might try them too, since it is good against Twin and my other loathed matchup, melforks.
    Brian Liu here :).

I can answer any question about my list if you have any. This deck is not easy to pilot by any means and takes a lot of practice. I am glad that I proved the naysayers wrong who said kiki pod was not the deck to play for GP Richmond, it being poorly positioned and advised people to switch to melira pod.

P.S. I was made aware of my horrible, embarrassing miss, game 1 in the finals with the "pod linvala into kiki and copy hierarch" line to win and would have beat myself up if I lost the finals because of it.
    Hi Brian! Awesome to see you on the forums here, and congrats on the big win!

I think the question lots of people have for you would be your choice of Chord. I'd assume you've tried the Domri version of the deck. What factors make Chord better for you?
    Quote from Archy
    All the poor guy wants to do is to turn Theros into one eternal Project X.

Regarding running a 4-color deck without fetchlands:
    Quote from Koopa
    Besides the obvious suggestion of just manning up, selling your body, and buying fetches because they are a safer investment then the stock market

MostlyLost on Cockatrice.
    Quote from Acissathar
    Quote from Subbak

Yeah I did just that on day 1 against Melira Pod, and walked right into an Aven Mindcensor... And then Linvala was gone and he could use his creatures again... Not a great idea, although pre-side they may not have Mindcensor to interact with you.

Just nitpicking but he was against Affinity so Mindcensor was not a concern Smile

Ooops... Now I feel stupid. The Top 8 was so full of Melira pod I just assummed... I have to admit I didn't exactly watch the Top 8 because it was not so easy to see (although considerably more so than at other GPs) and the side events were reasonably priced.

Quote from Ryzaru

I can answer any question about my list if you have any. This deck is not easy to pilot by any means and takes a lot of practice. I am glad that I proved the naysayers wrong who said kiki pod was not the deck to play for GP Richmond, it being poorly positioned and advised people to switch to melira pod.

Congratulations for the win Brian! I've got to ask how Eternal Witness worked out for you. I guess I must have been playing it wrong because it almost never mattered (the one time it could have i stupidly tried to cast it with only one green mana, so my opponent knew I had it and played Bojuka Bog on the next turn... yes i'm an idiot), and I ended up siding it out against most deck (it is true that I only had one or two rock-like matchup and no UWR match-up, which is wher I assumme it is supposed to shine). My maindeck is mostly similar to yours, the biggest differences being the presence of Staticaster and the abscence of Voice of Resurgence.
    Last edited by Subbak: 3/10/2014 11:53:19 AM
    I had a hand in Archester: Frontier of Steam, an awesome Steampunk set.
    Quote from Ryzaru

P.S. I was made aware of my horrible, embarrassing miss, game 1 in the finals with the "pod linvala into kiki and copy hierarch" line to win and would have beat myself up if I lost the finals because of it.

First of all congratulations Brian for putting us again in the radar Smile

A couple of questions:

-Did you feel like your beatdown plan was lacking with 3 chords and 3 walls(mostyle against control)?

-Did your heart skipped a beat after drawing the shatterstorm and hopping not getting toughseized ? :p
    Quote from Subbak

Ooops... Now I feel stupid. The Top 8 was so full of Melira pod I just assummed...

To be fair though I believe his other Top 8 rounds were both against Melira so it could have been a problem in those games.

Standard:
    Nah Brah

Modern:
    Some kind of BGx
    U Tron

EDH/Commander:
    Brewing

My eBay (Always free shipping)

Quote from Neuroticneurok

Red should be burn, Goblins, Dragons, draw/discard, and Standard-unplayable 5CMC cards with insane, lengthy effects that take 10 minutes to figure out what they do and another 20 to actually make their effects work on the field.
    first, welcome and congrats to brian. pretty exciting for kiki pod to finally get some respect.

second, i think this answers the chord of calling vs domri debate. i've been pretty vocal about my love for domri. after this weekend i'm confident in saying i'm wrong. my friend day 2'd with melira pod and chord was consistently his best card. by far.

third, here's my own experience:

round 1 (1-0): won 2-0 vs RUG Twin. was able to combo off both games while keeping him in check. i didn't see him play any remands, which probably helped.
    round 2 (1-1): lost 1-2 vs Green Tron. i hate this matchup and was scared of seeing it. game 2 i went for the aggressive play and avalanche rider his tower with a restoration angel in hand. i got pyroclasmed for a 2-dork blowout on 2 lands. game 3 i had 3 chances to topdeck win in a row and missed all 3.
    round 3 (1-2): lost 1-2 vs 8 Rack. this loss was all my fault. i took game 1 easily and punted both game 2 and 3 with stupid misplays. should have won. oh well.
    round 4 (2-2): won 2-1 vs Affinity. game 3 i forced him to sac everything to ravager and then to sac to Cranial/Inkmoth. had path in hand.
    round 5 (3-2): won 2-0 vs Infect. game 1 i combo'd off turn 4. game 2 he had lethal turn 4. game 3 i combo'd off turn 4.
    round 6 (4-2): won 2-0 vs UWR Control. game 1 i resolved a pod and snuck out the combo. game 2 i drew an opening hand with smiter and thrun.
    round 7 (4-3): lost 1-2 vs UWR Control. game 3 i had a gas opening hand and then drew 8 lands and 3 pods. we both knew there was nothing i could do.

i dropped after that just in time to watch my friend beat Osyp in a feature match. overall i had a good time, but was disappointed at my rounds 2 and 3. the day could have been a whole lot different had i drawn well or not punted. too be sure i was questioning my deck choice until i watched Brian take the whole thing. there's a modern PTQ coming up and i think i'll try to find some Chords.

*edit* i do have a question for Brian re: sideboarding. i found myself taking out a pod on the draw. what do you think of this play and how did you approach sideboarding in general (specifically about targets you took out given the low amount of flex spots).
    Last edited by cerefaux: 3/10/2014 12:51:24 PM
    Hey Brian, congrats on your win and thanks for doing Kiki pod well.

Could you give a list of the decks you played against on the way to the finals? How many times did you lose game 1 in your matches?
    Last edited by yntl2003: 3/10/2014 6:56:52 PM
    Legacy ~ Esper Deathblade, Lands, Enchantress, Jund
    Modern ~ Kiki Pod, Affinity, Living End, Goryo's Breach, Tarmotwin, Death and Taxes
    My biggest question about your list, is what made you forego phantasmal image?
    As promised, a more detailed report of my experience at GP Richmond. Of course now that we have Brian Liu himself here that's going to sound quite pale...

Here is my decklist:
    Subbak's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4 Birthing Pod
    2 Chord of Calling
    4 Birds of Paradise
    4 Noble Hierarch
    2 Wall of Roots
    1 Phantasmal Image
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    2 Scavenging Ooze
    2 Kitchen Finks
    1 Eternal Witness
    2 Deceiver Exarch
    1 Knight of the Reliquary
    1 Courser of Kruphix
    3 Restoration Angel
    1 Murderous Redcap
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Linvala, Keeper of Silence
    2 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
    1 Zealous Conscripts

3 Misty Rainforest
    3 Arid Mesa
    4 Grove of the Burnwillows
    2 Stomping Ground
    1 Hallowed Fountain
    1 Sacred Foundry
    1 Temple Garden
    1 Breeding Pool
    1 Copperline Gorge
    1 Razorverge Thicket
    1 Rugged Prairie
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    1 Gavony Township
    1 Minamo, Cascade School

Round 1 - bye

Round 2 - (very bad) homebrew Goblins

It wasn't a real deck... Apart from Goblin Guide and maybe Goblin Grenade, his cards were way too slow, so I won in 2 effortlessly. Courser of kruphix did prove somewhat useful at negating all his threats, but then again, they weren't really threats in the first place.

2-0

Round 3 - Fish

He won the toss and went first. When he played Vapor Snag on my dork on turn 2, I was freaking out because I expected a Blue Moon deck, but then he played Silvergill and I relaxed, having no islands in play. He didn't need islandwalk anyway though, as Merrow Reejerey and Vapor Snag made sure I had no blockers, and I lost pretty fast. Game 2 I had trouble holding him at bay with removal, and I was dead on board when I topdecked into Kiki-Jiki and won. Game 3 he had to mulligan to 6 and I had plenty of time (especially with the help of removal) to assemble a winning combo.

3-0

Round 4 - Affinity

He was playing Thalia maindeck, surprisingly enough, which prevented me from Chording for the win. Having to repeatedly chump block multiple attackers because of Cranial Plating didn't help. he was also playing Chromatic Star, which is quite unorthodox Game 2 I played Kataki turn 2 into a lone (untapped) Darksteel Citadel, thinking myself safe from Galvanic Blast but he had Dismember... I won anyway although I had to go to 1. If he had sacrificed his Chromatic stars to Ravager instead of their own ability (I don't know why he did that...) two turns earlier he would have won the game. Game 3 I chorded for a much more relevant Kataki on turn 3 which he couldn't remove before his upkeep. He made a giant Ravager, but on the next turn I pathed it and then killed the Nexus he was trying to move the counters on with Staticaster.

4-0

Round 5 - Tarmo Twin

Game 1 he played Exarch on turn 3, with Splinter Twin in hand. He didn't draw the fourth land for some time, but I didn't draw into Pod or any hate either (I think I kept a hand with something like Dork, Ooze, Finks and Angel, which would have been perfectly reasonable against many decks), and eventually he killed me. Game 2 I had Kiki on board and I was tapping out to cast Zeaous Conscript when by opponent Jedi mind tricked me. He played Exarch tapping Kiki-Jiki. Of course that does'nt stop anything, Zealous Conscript can untap him, that's the whole point. But seeing him do that made me think there had to be a point, and therefore convinced me that I could not win this turn. He proceeded to cast Anger of the gods and kill me on the following turn. I felt quite stupid.
    From what my opponent told me before the match, he'd been several times on the Pro Tour already. I guess that's part of what it takes to be a Pro : the confidence to pull a bluff like that and have it actually work.

4-1

Round 6 - Affinity

I don't remember much about this match. Game 1 was a loss, game 2 a close-ish win, game 3 a complet blowout as I managed to make him have to sacrifice his Glimmervoid, which was by then his only land, through a combination of Kataki, Harmonic Sliver and Phantasmal Image.

5-1

Round 7 - Melira Pod

Game 1 I got stuck on 3 lands with my dork eating a Thoughtseize... I tried to get a fetchland back with Eternal Witness only to realize that I didn't have the two green mana (maybe i shouldn't be playing Witness without Firelit Thicket), which had the unfortunate side-effect of revealing Witness to my opponent. When I played Staticaster to kill his dork and incidentally prevent him from comboing out, he Abrupt Decayed that and played Bojuka Bog on my next turn, which allowed him to safely gain infinite life and scry into the Redcap. Game 2 he had pod on board and I had Linvala on board and Conscripts and Harmonic Sliver in hand, but only five mana. I chose to wait a turn rather than destroy the Pod, thinking he was far from assembling the combo anyway. Alas, on my next turn when I stole the Pod and sacrificed Linvala I walked right into a Aven Mindcensor (and of course Kiki-Jiki wasn't in the top 4). On his turn he killed my dorks with Orzhov Pontiff from the Pod, attacked with the Mindcensor and then tapped out to play Archangel of Thune. He was only on 3 life though so I hoped to win by playing Restoration Angel on my Zealous Conscripts, but he had a Slaughter Pact... I killed his Archangel and a dork with Fiery Justice, he tried to argue that the lifegain would pump them so they survived (him making that mistake is odd, given he had apparently a very good knowledge of both our decks), but I explained him about state-based actions and triggers. The judge we called also got it wrong, by the way: he explained it in a way that implied it had something to do with the order of the actions on Fiery Justice and that the creature I hadn't targeted wouldn't get counters, so I had to correct him. But even without Archangel, he managed to beat me without much effort.
    I don't know how this would have played out if I hadn't been greedy and just destroyed the Pod after he played it.

5-2

Round 8 - Junk

Game 1 was a bit weird, I didn't see a Pod or a Chord and he didn't see a Liliana. We had a lot of Scavenging Ooze battles, but in the end he managed to stick a Dark Confidant and won the attrition war. The fact that he had Abrupt Decays certainly helped. Game 2 I was about to win with the beatdown plan when he played Batterskull... I flashed in Decevier Exarch on his end step, but he still had one too many Lingering Souls token for me to deal the final points of damage... I drew Chord of Calling, kicked myself mentally for siding out Staticaster against a deck playing both black and white, and then realized I had enough for Kiki-Jiki. Game 3 I sided out Obstinate Baloth as I hadn't seen a hair of Liliana (turned out he was indeed playing 4 of and just hadn't drawn any) in order to bring Staticaster back in. He accidentally mulliganed to 7, which means he had to go down to 5 as part of the fix. He then went down to 4. So no real glory in that victory. That's lucky, too, because time was running quite low on the clock so we probably wouldn't have been able to finish a third real game.

6-2

Round 9 - Infect

Game 1 he stomped all over me, but game 2 and 3 were much easier thanks to removal and spellskite. I did have to let one of his creatures through at one point during game 2, but he had only 2 cards in hand and hadn't played a land, so I felt safe taking 3 poison (Pendelhaven + Hierarch).

7-2

Round 10 - Boggles

I don't know who decided that day 2 should start at 9 (when day 1 started at 10 officially, at 11 in practice), just after the change to DST, and start on time on top of that, but because of that I was 2 minutes late and got a Game Loss. Winning post-side against boggles is hard enough, but it's practically unfeasible pre-side, especially when he goes Boggle into Hyena Umbra and Rancor into another Rancor and Daybreak Coronet into Etheral Armor....

7-3

Round 11 - Fish

Amusingly enough, my opponent had suffered a game loss for tardiness on round 10 as well... He had a bad draw on game 1 which allowed me to wombo, and couldn't beat my removal during game 2.

8-3

Round 12 - Living End

Game 1 he managed to stick a Living End into my board of Finks, Linvala and Dork, but I played Angel of restoration on the next turn to save some life and I had Kiki-Jiki in hand (and he didn't have dismember, in fact he didn't even play it). Game 2 he started with Leyline of the Void, which made me question whether boarding out Qasali Pridemage was the right decision (I had foreseen this possibility and decided it wasn't too bad and that otherwise the Pridemage would be mostly useless). After he got rid of one dork and one Scavenging Ooze with Shriekmaw I felt it was safe enough to Pod for Thalia (when Canonist was still susceptible to Ingot Chewer). I drew Canonist naturally anyway, and comboed out soon after (at the cost of sacrificing Thalia). It turned out that he didn't bring in any of the Ingot Chewers after all, which I think is a terrible mistake against a Pod deck, especially since without Dismember he had no way of dealing with Canonist.

9-3

Round 13 - Some homebrew mono-B control

It was mostly discard (Thoughtseize, Inquisition of Kozilek, Wrench Mind, Liliana) and sacrifice effects (on top of Liliana, Geth's Verdict and Gatekeeper of Malakir), with Phyrexian obliterator and Gray Merchant of Asphodel as finishers. A little surprising to see an unknown deck, but I guess you don't get to day 2 of a GP without doing something right. Game 1 on the draw I kept a hand that would have been perfect if there had been any green sources in there... I was punished by missing my third land drop, and only getting the green mana on turn 4, which was way too late when a Liliana was already on board and he played an Obliterator on the next turn. Game 2 I kept a hand with 2 rather useful Scavenging Ooze, but got stuck on two mana with no white mana for Path to Exile as a pair of gatekeepers slowly killed me. In the meantime, I drew 2 Birthing Pod, one Chord of Calling and one Harmonic Sliver (I was expecting some sort of artifact hate out of the sideboard)...

9-4

Round 14 - Fish

Lost game 1 to me playing a Hallowed Fountain on turn 1. In game 2 he countered my Chord of Calling with Spell Pierce. I was expecting a vialed-in Cursecatcher so only left one mana open and not 2. He had it anyway so I didn't lose too much, and that allowed me to attack with the untapped Obstinate Baloth. My new plan to win the race had me eventually go to one by blocking his only non-islandwalker on the next turn cycle, which required that he didn't draw Vapor Snag (even redirecting to Spellskite wouldn't have helped) or any lord. He didn't. I started Game 3 with a hand containing Dork, Finks, Angel and a pair of Path to Exile, so that was hard to lose.

10-4

Round 15 - Small zoo

I mulled to 6 on game 1, and ended up keeping 1 fetchland, 1 dork and a bunch of 3-drops (including Pod) on the draw. Dangerous, but so was going to 5. Of course, he started with a Wild Nacatl, then bolted my dude and played a Loam Lion. I never even saw a second land. I won game 2 thanks to a fast combo, and lost game with Boros Charm and Lighting Bolt to my face, as obstinate baloth was sitting on top of my deck... A bit pissed at the bad luck, but then again the tiebreakers were bad enough than even winning this one wouldn't have put me in the money.

10-5

In the end I lost games in a very stupid way in rounds 5,7 and 10 (especially 5 and 10), but since that was 2-0 in mediocre to terrible match-ups, playing better wouldn't necessarily have changed so much. There are still a lot of things to improve in my play though, as tose are far from the only mistakes I made, just the one with the biggest consequences. Regarding the list, either I've been playing Witness wrong or it's not good enough. I agree that I haven't played against a single UWR opponent, but I think I'd much rather have Voice of Resurgence back. Playing no Scalding Tarns and 3 Misty Rainforests was a consequence of me running a basic Plains instead of a basic Mountain as a concession to Blood Moon, but it ended up being awkward as it was harder to fetch for Sacred Foundry, which is a land I often want to see.
    Last edited by Subbak: 3/10/2014 6:49:17 PM
    subbak: was it valentin mackl or patrick dickman? the tarmo twin?
    I am a little confused as to the exact benefit of mana dorks to your curve. most lists I have seen so far have more 2 drops than 3. When your dork untaps on turn two, you are on 3 drop. Dont you wait till 4 mana to play pod so you can pod same turn? Shouldnt the lists be 3 drop sweet spot? Instead of 2?
    Quote from MostlyLost
    Hi Brian! Awesome to see you on the forums here, and congrats on the big win!

I think the question lots of people have for you would be your choice of Chord. I'd assume you've tried the Domri version of the deck. What factors make Chord better for you?

Hey, sorry for the super late response as I had to drive 12 hours back to Toronto,

I tried Domri's when it first got released in Gatecrash vs Chords and was not really impressed. The creatures in Kiki pod don't fight all too well at sorcery speed with the rest of the field except for restoration angel and playing a Domri doesn't immediately impact the board and demand an answer like Lilliana of the Veil. When twin is threatening combo on turn 4, storm is going off on turn 4, tron is playing karn on turn 3 and affinity/zoo is reliably killing on turn 4, playing a domri just doesn't do much. Chord helps A LOT against all the unfair matchups, which is kiki pod's weaker matchups. Being able to play at instant speed, chord for spellskite against twin, ooze against living end, linvala or pridemage against pod, have your opponent guessing whether it is a restoration angel or a chord when leaving mana up, forcing him to play around the constant threat of end step combo and every other creature in your deck is really strong. It makes the deck more consistent. It makes you be able to reliably combo more on turn 4, in the matchups in which that is the best way to win. It gives you the free wins.

I hope that answers your question.

*edit*: Modern is a format in which hate cards are extremely powerful and are usually crippling enough to buy us enough time to win. Playing 4 colors allows us to play some of the best ones. Chord allows me to play on turn 3, basically 9 copies(hate card itself, 4 pod, 3 chord)of kataki against affinity, 9 copies of spellskite against twin, boggles and infect, 9 copies of ethersworn canonist against storm and living end etc etc.

Quote from Subbak
    Quote from Acissathar
    Quote from Subbak

Yeah I did just that on day 1 against Melira Pod, and walked right into an Aven Mindcensor... And then Linvala was gone and he could use his creatures again... Not a great idea, although pre-side they may not have Mindcensor to interact with you.

Just nitpicking but he was against Affinity so Mindcensor was not a concern Smile

Ooops... Now I feel stupid. The Top 8 was so full of Melira pod I just assummed... I have to admit I didn't exactly watch the Top 8 because it was not so easy to see (although considerably more so than at other GPs) and the side events were reasonably priced.

Quote from Ryzaru

Congratulations for the win Brian! I've got to ask how Eternal Witness worked out for you. I guess I must have been playing it wrong because it almost never mattered (the one time it could have i stupidly tried to cast it with only one green mana, so my opponent knew I had it and played Bojuka Bog on the next turn... yes i'm an idiot), and I ended up siding it out against most deck (it is true that I only had one or two rock-like matchup and no UWR match-up, which is wher I assumme it is supposed to shine). My maindeck is mostly similar to yours, the biggest differences being the presence of Staticaster and the abscence of Voice of Resurgence.

Eternal Witness is a card that is never sided out against any matchup for me. The #1 reason why it is in the deck (other than being synergistic with restoration angel and being an overall good card) is that you can do the 1 card combo with chord. Chording to eternal witness, getting back chord, chording to restoration angel etc etc. #2 reason is that it buys back your hate cards that you side in. Getting back a spellskite twin dealt with, an avalanche riders against scapeshift (which nailed the coffin against my round 15 scapeshift opponent), recurring path to exile and fiery justice 5 times is just great. #3 reason is that even though kitchen finks is your go to 2 -> 3 pod chain, if you suspect your opponent has a path to exile or pillar of flame for a finks, podding into eternal witness and getting back a creature ENSURES 100% that you have creatures to use with your pod.

I did play staticaster back in the day, but in the current meta it is pretty dead. It's most important target is dark confidant, which after it hits it is pretty useless on board. Having it against other pod decks is VERY awkward. It is ok against tempo twin, killing pestermite, clique and snapcaster but I mostly rather just have voice to resolve my spells and make their remands and blue creatures so much worse.

Quote from lev1atan
    Quote from Ryzaru

First of all congratulations Brian for putting us again in the radar Smile

A couple of questions:

-Did you feel like your beatdown plan was lacking with 3 chords and 3 walls(mostyle against control)?

-Did your heart skipped a beat after drawing the shatterstorm and hopping not getting toughseized ? :p

The beatdown plan was not lacking at all. With 2 ooze, 2 voice, 2 finks and 4 resto angel(along with township of course) you can really put on the pressure. Restoration angel is a very hard to deal with creature and has a very reasonable clock.

You can see in the coverage, that I drew my first 3 cards of game 3 and then looked up in relief at seeing the one of shatterstorm. It was even better when I see red and green sources, a chord and mana accelerants. I knew from that opening hand, the game was sealed and I had just won the GP. I was extremely relaxed after keeping that hand. Nothing but 2 thoughtseizes could stop me. I could get past one thoughtseize by chording for eternal witness to get back shatterstorm or getting kataki. I was surprised he had 4 galvanic blasts main board which I don't think most lists do. It also surprised me that shatterstorm was named the #1 card considering that it was the first time I had cast it in the whole GP and was a last minute addition. I guess coverage only covered half my semi-finals and the finals match

Quote from cerefaux
    first, welcome and congrats to brian. pretty exciting for kiki pod to finally get some respect.

second, i think this answers the chord of calling vs domri debate. i've been pretty vocal about my love for domri. after this weekend i'm confident in saying i'm wrong. my friend day 2'd with melira pod and chord was consistently his best card. by far.

third, here's my own experience:

round 1 (1-0): won 2-0 vs RUG Twin. was able to combo off both games while keeping him in check. i didn't see him play any remands, which probably helped.
    round 2 (1-1): lost 1-2 vs Green Tron. i hate this matchup and was scared of seeing it. game 2 i went for the aggressive play and avalanche rider his tower with a restoration angel in hand. i got pyroclasmed for a 2-dork blowout on 2 lands. game 3 i had 3 chances to topdeck win in a row and missed all 3.
    round 3 (1-2): lost 1-2 vs 8 Rack. this loss was all my fault. i took game 1 easily and punted both game 2 and 3 with stupid misplays. should have won. oh well.
    round 4 (2-2): won 2-1 vs Affinity. game 3 i forced him to sac everything to ravager and then to sac to Cranial/Inkmoth. had path in hand.
    round 5 (3-2): won 2-0 vs Infect. game 1 i combo'd off turn 4. game 2 he had lethal turn 4. game 3 i combo'd off turn 4.
    round 6 (4-2): won 2-0 vs UWR Control. game 1 i resolved a pod and snuck out the combo. game 2 i drew an opening hand with smiter and thrun.
    round 7 (4-3): lost 1-2 vs UWR Control. game 3 i had a gas opening hand and then drew 8 lands and 3 pods. we both knew there was nothing i could do.

i dropped after that just in time to watch my friend beat Osyp in a feature match. overall i had a good time, but was disappointed at my rounds 2 and 3. the day could have been a whole lot different had i drawn well or not punted. too be sure i was questioning my deck choice until i watched Brian take the whole thing. there's a modern PTQ coming up and i think i'll try to find some Chords.

*edit* i do have a question for Brian re: sideboarding. i found myself taking out a pod on the draw. what do you think of this play and how did you approach sideboarding in general (specifically about targets you took out given the low amount of flex spots).

I never took out pod, in any matchup including the 2 GW or W hatebears matchups. In most matchups, I take out a kiki, either a glen-elendra or a redcap, 1 wall if my opponent wasn't attacking me, and combinations of finks, voice, linvala and ooze. There is always atleast 1 kiki to exploit opportunities.

Quote from yntl2003
    Hey Brian, congrats on your win and thanks for doing Kiki pod well.

Could you give a list of the decks you played against on the way to the finals? How many times did you lose game 1 in your matches?

I don't remember them all. Day 1 in no particular order: soul sisters, Jund (draw as my opponent forced 4 games after double rakdos charm killing both of us and we couldn't finish in time), Hatebears, BG (Loss, Just can't beat phyrexian obliterators), UWR control, Merfolk.

Day 2: GW hatebears, UWR control, UWR twin, Scapeshift against Andrew Calderon, Affinity, Kiki pod (which was running Domri's, staticasters, 0 chords and image.)

As to how many game 1 losses, I'm not certain. I frequently won 2-0.

Quote from Dark_drac0
    My biggest question about your list, is what made you forego phantasmal image?

Back in the days of the old legend rule, I used to run the image. Now, I think it is pretty underwhelming. Blue is a very light splash and is the last color you fetch for. It's utility is mostly in the pod chain from a 1 and 2 drop. That chain takes up one whole turn, atleast 4 mana, sacrifices your whole board, forces you to take a lot of damage and is just WAY too risky. Honestly I would just pod the 2 drop into a persist creature which is much safer. Image is also not the best of creatures :).

Quote from thatsnailguy
    I am a little confused as to the exact benefit of mana dorks to your curve. most lists I have seen so far have more 2 drops than 3. When your dork untaps on turn two, you are on 3 drop. Dont you wait till 4 mana to play pod so you can pod same turn? Shouldnt the lists be 3 drop sweet spot? Instead of 2?

Wait, you expect, your one drop to be in your opening hand 100% of the time AND not get bolted immediately? If your opening hand does not have a play turn 1 or turn 2, it is almost 100% a mulligan. Also the 2-2-2 split of ooze, voice and finks is on purpose as they are good in very different matchups. Yes it is frequently correct to hold your pod until you need to use it to minimize damage taken, prevent it from getting destroyed without use, using it to kill instantly once it is in play. The exceptions are of course, if you can sneak it under counter magic or if your opponent has thoughtseize.

Last edited by Ryzaru: 3/11/2014 8:09:31 AM
    Hey Brian! Congratulations, awesome to see this deck putting up results :3

Your list looks great, just 2 questions:
    -Why only 1 Exarch? I can understand lack of Phantasmal Image, I cut it myself, but winning from two 2-drops and a Pod is good too, and because of Wall, you run quite a lot of them.
    -What about 1 Domri in the sideboard for fairer matchups?
    Modern
    BRG Jund
    Quote from Ryzaru

I never took out pod, in any matchup including the 2 GW or W hatebears matchups. In most matchups, I take out a kiki, either a glen-elendra or a redcap, 1 wall if my opponent wasn't attacking me, and combinations of finks, voice, linvala and ooze. There is always atleast 1 kiki to exploit opportunities.

gotcha. i've ordered 3 chords and 2 more roots from Face to Face that will be waiting for me when i get back from Richmond. definitely going to pilot your list. first change--lose the 2 domri. thanks brian and congrats again.

Really good answer Ryan , thanks a lot for your insight Wink
    Quote from cerefaux

Nope. Dan Lanthier. Apparently he hasn't got a huge record, but he did place well in a Canadian national, won another one, and won a few PTQs. Obviously a better and more dedicated player than me. As he said "on and off the Pro Tour". It may be that he was boasting to put me a little off my game (I did ask about it because of his Mana Deprived T-shirt).
    Note that I don't want this to come off as insulting or anything. He did beat me in a very sneaky way, but it was neither unsporting nor even close to being shady, and I must say I admire the confidence it takes to make the bluff work.

Quote from Ryzaru

Eternal Witness is a card that is never sided out against any matchup for me. The #1 reason why it is in the deck (other than being synergistic with restoration angel and being an overall good card) is that you can do the 1 card combo with chord. Chording to eternal witness, getting back chord, chording to restoration angel etc etc. #2 reason is that it buys back your hate cards that you side in. Getting back a spellskite twin dealt with, an avalanche riders against scapeshift (which nailed the coffin against my round 15 scapeshift opponent), recurring path to exile and fiery justice 5 times is just great. #3 reason is that even though kitchen finks is your go to 2 -> 3 pod chain, if you suspect your opponent has a path to exile or pillar of flame for a finks, podding into eternal witness and getting back a creature ENSURES 100% that you have creatures to use with your pod.

Thanks a lot. I guess I just never had an occasion to use it intelligently (or never saw it if I had one), except that one time where I punted by revealing it without being able to cast it, and then my opponent played Bojuka Bog... I probably shouldn't be drawing conclusions from only 14 rounds, especially since it was in my deck for less than 20 games.

Quote from Ryzaru

I did play staticaster back in the day, but in the current meta it is pretty dead. It's most important target is dark confidant, which after it hits it is pretty useless on board. Having it against other pod decks is VERY awkward. It is ok against tempo twin, killing pestermite, clique and snapcaster but I mostly rather just have voice to resolve my spells and make their remands and blue creatures so much worse.

I agree about the awkwardness of Staticaster in the mirror match, but isn't killing Affinity's small dudes (including Nexus in reaction to Ravager's Modular trigger) and Lingering Souls tokens also worth mentionning? Also with either Kiki-Jiki (that's a long shot...) or Angel (much more realistic) it can kill x/2s.
    I was going to mention how having Flash creatures is nice, but it's actually pretty useless in every matchup where Flash really matters, except U/R Twin.

I'll try to test without him and see what happens.
    Last edited by Subbak: 3/11/2014 12:04:57 PM
    Hey Brian! Congratulations, awesome to see this deck putting up results :3

Your list looks great, just 2 questions:
    -Why only 1 Exarch? I can understand lack of Phantasmal Image, I cut it myself, but winning from two 2-drops and a Pod is good too, and because of Wall, you run quite a lot of them.
    -What about 1 Domri in the sideboard for fairer matchups?

I do realize a lot of lists run 2 Exarchs for the purpose of the two 2-drops chain. However, I believe it is not worth it because deceiver exarch isn't the most powerful of creatures on its own. As with the explanation with phantasmal image, activating pod 4 times for a chain is extremely risky, especially if they interrupt it and all you are left with is a deceiver exarch. Atleast comboing with restoration angel, you are left with a strong creature. Usually double podding into redcap or glen elendra puts your far enough ahead on board to win, and if you really need to, combo off with the one persister next run.

As to the 1 Domri in the sideboard, it isn't a bad idea. It would probably replace Thragtusk or Thrun if it ever did happen. Thragtusk just wins you the game usually against fair decks though. Also remember, sideboarding creatures is MUCH better than sideboarding any other spell. You can have 9 ways to play that sideboard creature, but only 1 copy if it is a planeswalker.

Quote from Subbak
    Quote from cerefaux

Nope. Dan Lanthier. Apparently he hasn't got a huge record, but he did place well in a Canadian national, won another one, and won a few PTQs. Obviously a better and more dedicated player than me. As he said "on and off the Pro Tour". It may be that he was boasting to put me a little off my game (I did ask about it because of his Mana Deprived T-shirt).
    Note that I don't want this to come off as insulting or anything. He did beat me in a very sneaky way, but it was neither unsporting nor even close to being shady, and I must say I admire the confidence it takes to make the bluff work.

Quote from Ryzaru

Thanks a lot. I guess I just never had an occasion to use it intelligently (or never saw it if I had one), except that one time where I punted by revealing it without being able to cast it, and then my opponent played Bojuka Bog... I probably shouldn't be drawing conclusions from only 14 rounds, especially since it was in my deck for less than 20 games.

Quote from Ryzaru

I agree about the awkwardness of Staticaster in the mirror match, but isn't killing Affinity's small dudes (including Nexus in reaction to Ravager's Modular trigger) and Lingering Souls tokens also worth mentionning? Also with either Kiki-Jiki (that's a long shot...) or Angel (much more realistic) it can kill x/2s.
    I was going to mention how having Flash creatures is nice, but it's actually pretty useless in every matchup where Flash really matters, except U/R Twin.

I'll try to test without him and see what happens.

You do have a point with Staticaster's strength in the affinity matchup, but that one good matchup does not justify mainboarding it. Having it good in one matchup and terrible against the rest of the field means that it will 90% of the time it will be a dead card and sweet in that maybe one game against affinity and infect. Then why don't we play it in the sideboard then you ask. Well because there's a lot better sideboard cards against affinity and infect than izzet staticaster. Like say shatterstorm. Lingering souls is not a card that is played right now. In B/W tokens, it is usually backed up by honor of the pure. Also you have no problems with lingering souls since your flying creatures AKA restoration angel are just bigger. I am pretty happy to have my opponent spend 5 mana and so many resources for 4 1/1 flying tokens.
    Quote from Ryzaru
    BG (Loss, Just can't beat phyrexian obliterators)

I liked how Mihara handled Obliterator in the Pro Tour matchup vs. Duke. He stole it with Zealous Conscripts and copied with Kiki and swung back for the win in one of the games. I haven't been able to find Mihara's list from Valencia which one of the commentators called "teched out" with Burning Tree Emmissaries. Have you seen that version or have an opinion on BTE in kiki pod?

Quote from Ryzaru

I do realize a lot of lists run 2 Exarchs for the purpose of the two 2-drops chain. However, I believe it is not worth it because deceiver exarch isn't the most powerful of creatures on its own. As with the explanation with phantasmal image, activating pod 4 times for a chain is extremely risky, especially if they interrupt it and all you are left with is a deceiver exarch. Atleast comboing with restoration angel, you are left with a strong creature. Usually double podding into redcap or glen elendra puts your far enough ahead on board to win, and if you really need to, combo off with the one persister next run.

I agree that trying to combo and be left with only a Deceiver Exarch to show for it kind of sucks, but Deceiver Exarch is still a very good card when drawn naturally and cast before attackers are declared or on the opponent's end step to prevent them from playing removal on your turn. Maybe it's not quite as good as Angel, okay, but Angel is our best creature. So I don't really see that big a cost in running 2 of them, and only use the Pod chain when the opponent is tapped out and unlikely to be playing Slaughter Pact (I learned my lesson about that one...).
    I feel I'd rather have a second Exarch as a second Voice of Resurgence, for example, but I'll admit I'm not a big fan of Voice of Resurgence so it may be personal bias.

Quote from Ryzaru

You do have a point with Staticaster's strength in the affinity matchup, but that one good matchup does not justify mainboarding it. Having it good in one matchup and terrible against the rest of the field means that it will 90% of the time it will be a dead card and sweet in that maybe one game against affinity and infect. Then why don't we play it in the sideboard then you ask. Well because there's a lot better sideboard cards against affinity and infect than izzet staticaster. Like say shatterstorm. Lingering souls is not a card that is played right now. In B/W tokens, it is usually backed up by honor of the pure. Also you have no problems with lingering souls since your flying creatures AKA restoration angel are just bigger. I am pretty happy to have my opponent spend 5 mana and so many resources for 4 1/1 flying tokens.

As I said, I think your opinion is valid (at the very least, you have serious results to back it up) and I'll test without it, but for the record every time my opponents played Lingering Souls (which I admit is not so common nowadays) it was in Junk and they used it to defend the air while they killed me on the ground with something else.

I am surprised to see that you play Shatterstorm as a 1-of in the sideboard, by the way. As you said unlike creatures it is only one card, and it is utterly useless in every other match-up which makes it hard to make it count. Obviously that has worked well for you in the finals, but didn't you sometimes wish you had either something useful in more match-ups or that came up in more games in that slot?

Quote from fsbrain
    Quote from Ryzaru
    BG (Loss, Just can't beat phyrexian obliterators)

I liked how Mihara handled Obliterator in the Pro Tour matchup vs. Duke. He stole it with Zealous Conscripts and copied with Kiki and swung back for the win in one of the games. I haven't been able to find Mihara's list from Valencia which one of the commentators called "teched out" with Burning Tree Emmissaries. Have you seen that version or have an opinion on BTE in kiki pod?

Wait a minute... If he had Kiki-Jiki and Conscripts, why exactly did he need to steal the Obliterator? O_o
    Subbak:

With regards to the deceiver exarch #2 instead of voice, I think voice is just a better card overall in most matchups. Against UWR, it is an early 2 drop that your opponents either must counter or use mana on their turn to bolt which allows you to resolve a pod or other important spell on your following turn. True you could end step deceiver exarch and tap down one of their lands, but I don't think most decks care about a 1/4.

Against Twin, tempo is key. You must try to get a creature to stick on the battlefield and start pressuring them asap while keeping your shields up against the combo. Voice does this beautifully as it makes remand, and their blue pieces absolutely horrible.

One matchup in which exarch and voice are debatable and close is against zoo. The front side of voice doesn't block zoo's creatures well while deceiver exarch can tap down a guy. Honestly though in that matchup, your blockers aren't living.

Deceiver exarch tapping down an attacker doesn't solve the aggro problem, it just delays it a turn. Voice can very easily solve the aggro problem by creating a large elemental. It also allows you to better matchup against decks with remand who can tempo you out. I would rather have voice then exarch against scapeshift, twin, uwr, jund, pod and gw hatebears. I would rather have exarch against affinity (tapping down their cranial plated guy), tron, storm. As you can see voice is just better against most of the field, exarch is only better when people are doing completely unfair things and you need to slow them down a turn and set up your own combo.

You mention tapping down an opposing land to prevent them from playing removal on your turn. Wouldn't voice just be better suited for that role? Let them play their removal on your turn! My UWR opponent round 14 cast snapcaster, helix targeting my voice on my turn allowing me to get 3 elementals! I considered flashing in restoration angel to counter it but assumed he had a wrath and decided otherwise, as 3 elementals + other stuff is more than enough pressure. Turns out he didn't and lost. If it just absorbs a bolt, all the better!

I am also surprised I played a 1 of shatterstorm. It was a very last minute sideboard change. I took out sowing salt from my board to put it in as I thought tron would not be played as much, even though the tron matchup is where I needed my sideboard cards more. I had played a last chance GPT on friday and played affinity 3/5 rounds. Also while walking around the venue, saw a lot of affinity. The shatterstorm was purely a metagame call for GP richmond and should probably be changed. Shatterstorm might not even have been the right card, fracturing gust to also hit boggles might have been better, vandalblast to be a bit more flexible might have been ok. I had already covered the artifact hate creature with kataki and just wanted something to destroy affinity as affinity can come back from kataki and ancient grudge. The finals was the ONLY time I cast shatterstorm during the whole GP and it is ONLY good against affinity. Change the slot to what? Whatever suits your style. Whatever you think the metagame is going to be.

I hope this answers your question

Why did he steal Obliterator? Style points!

Last edited by Ryzaru: 3/12/2014 11:57:29 AM
    GG Brian Liu -- Wins biggest constructed GP of all time; answers every question in MTGSALV with articulation and depth.
    Thank you very much for that detailed answer Ryzaru.
    Quote from cerefaux
    GG Brian Liu -- Wins biggest constructed GP of all time; answers every question in MTGSALV with articulation and depth.

Maybe I should just write an article somewhere....
    Well, an article about kikipod written by you would be awesome Smile
    Last edited by lev1atan: 3/12/2014 2:20:40 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes