Combo Elves

I was looking around at possibly making combo elves work, once I read the bannings. After the hubbub of Jace and SFM and the other huge bannings, I saw that Glimpse had been banned. Dangit!

But then Gavin Verhey posted a list this morning that was mimicking a list I had been trying to come up with.

Naturally, I realize there is an Elves thread here, but the thread is for discussing pure beatdown elves - and frankly, it seems rather dead. This thread is for discussing combo elves, and what we can do to make it a viable archetype.

The basic idea of the main combo, is that cloudstone curio vaguely replaces Glimpse of Nature. The deck, in a land with no mental misstep and no completely dominant control decks off the surface, manages to play the beatdown role relatively well. However, it can combo off with Cloudstone Curio in play, which, with Heritage Druid and Nettle Sentinel and any one mana elf (you have plenty) in play, you can produce a huge amount of mana and completely draw your deck by consistenly replaying and bouncing Elvish Visionary.

Now, what can we do with a ton of mana?

How about hardcasting Emrakul, the Aeons Torn? It runs similarly to the legacy version of the deck, without some of the more broken cards (Cradle, Glimpse, etc)

Here's a sample list from Verhey

izzetmage's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Artifacts
    4 Cloudstone Curio

Creatures
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    3 Essence Warden
    2 Regal Force

Legendary Creatures
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader

Instants
    2 Summoner's Pact

Sorceries
    4 Green Sun's Zenith

Land
    16 Forest
    2 Pendelhaven
    1 Dryad Arbor

The basic idea, obviously, is either playing beatdown against a control deck or combo deck that can't outcombo you, or just comboing off on your 4th or 5th turn to draw your deck and cast emrakul. Or discard emrakul, and draw your deck again after a boardwipe.

Some basic ideas, Verhey was throwing idea the idea of splashing white with some fetch/shocklands to play Ranger of Eos

Another gimmicky idea that might be worth trying is a red splash for a single Goblin Bushwacker? Play your deck, kick a bushwacker, swing for a billion.

EDIT: This is izzetmage speaking. I have been made the new OP of this thread. Everything above was posted by someone else. I have not edited anything yet, but when I have a few good, tested decklists from MTGO and GP Portland, I will analyze them and update this post with a primer.
    You can view my current Elves primer here, or click the link in my sig.
    ATTACHMENTS
    Last edited by ktkenshinx: 12/19/2013 2:22:22 PM
    How is this deck working? I'm playing RG with BBE and i love it.
    I'd rather splash red for Banefire or Grapeshot than Goblin Bushwhacker.
    A blue splash for intruder alarm should be considered. This means ALL your elves untap each time you play a creature, and make it much easier to go infinite by drawing your deck, or by creating infinite creature tokens with Imperious Perfect + 1 mana dork. Also, instead of goblin bushwacker, why not use akroma's memorial? Give everyone evasion, pro two colors and haste.

Triumphforks's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards

This deck kicks some serious ass and has multiple combos that all work in perfect harmony together.
    Last edited by Triumphforks: 8/20/2011 12:58:43 PM

Soldier Primer
    Sig by ol MISAKA lo

My Trades
    What if you ran Staff of Damnation? You already have Archdruid, and them together=auto win
    Quote from glurman
    Quote from Lotus Cobra
    Could someone help me create a sideboard for the current meta?

-1 Merfolk deck
    +1 Almost literally anything else

Sorry if that isn't quite what you're looking for, but it's way more helpful strategically.

Level 1 Judge

Currently Playing:
    W Death and Taxes
    BGR ScapeWish Nic Fit
    BGR Punishing Nic Fit
    Ok, after some serious playtesting on MTGO, here is the list I am currently using and kicking EVERYONE'S butt with. Twelve post, zoo, jund, you name it, I can rock their world. No one seems to see this deck coming, though memoricide is REALLY annoying.

U/G Curio ElvesMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards

The Ghost Quarters > 12 post, and they work really well against any deck that is not running any basics, and generally are much more helpful then say, pithing needle.

EDIT: Recently, I have taken to running 1 ghost quarter mainboard. It helps, against most decks actually. So many decks rely on non-basics that blowing up their non-basics means they often have very few substitutes.
    Last edited by Triumphforks: 8/20/2011 10:24:32 PM

Soldier Primer
    Sig by ol MISAKA lo

My Trades
    Ok... so after lot's of mindless gathering I stumbled upon this cool interaction:

Image removed due to its file extension: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=233052&type=card
    +
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=174951&type=card

Ad some creature pump (giving glistening Elf +10 power) and this cute combo allows you to instantly kill your opponent with POISON!!!...

I did some goldfishing (yes, I'm still in a goldfish phase), but the results are promising, the deck can reliably combo-off turn 3, turn 4 at the latest... still looking to get more consistency into the list... but this is what I've got right now:

MichMash's POISONED_ELVESMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Stomping Ground
    12 Forest

4 Heritage Druid
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    2 Glistener Elf
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    2 Regal Force

1 Soul's Fire
    2 Might of the Masses
    2 Doubling Chant
    4 Explore
    3 Summoner's Pact

I haven't dabbled with Cloudstone Curio yet - since I find it to clunky/slow and it only works when you see an Elvish Visionary...
    I have been tinkering with a build along these lines, since I used to play GW Elf-Ball during Lor/Sha standard, plus I have casual decks and a Commander deck centering on Elves. What I have been wondering as an alternative to Emrakul is Progenitus, since it can be tutor-casted with Green Sun's Zenith.

Also dropped in some Sylvan Ranger and grinding off the Curio combo to pull lands, then chuck them and thin out the deck to a large degree. Also trying to see how Lead the Stampede does as a 2-of for hand reload, since the deck is mostly critter-based, and after thinning with Ranger it is easy to draw mass of critter.

I will post my present build when I have more time.
    Quote from MichMash
    Ok... so after lot's of mindless gathering I stumbled upon this cool interaction:

Image removed due to its file extension: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=233052&type=card
    +
    Image removed due to its file extension: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=174951&type=card

Ad some creature pump (giving glistening Elf +10 power) and this cute combo allows you to instantly kill your opponent with POISON!!!...

I did some goldfishing (yes, I'm still in a goldfish phase), but the results are promising, the deck can reliably combo-off turn 3, turn 4 at the latest... still looking to get more consistency into the list... but this is what I've got right now:

MichMash's POISONED_ELVESMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4 Gemstone Mine
    4 Stomping Ground
    12 Forest

4 Heritage Druid
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    2 Glistener Elf
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Elvish Visionary
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    2 Regal Force

1 Soul's Fire
    2 Might of the Masses
    2 Doubling Chant
    4 Explore
    3 Summoner's Pact

I haven't dabbled with Cloudstone Curio yet - since I find it to clunky/slow and it only works when you see an Elvish Visionary...

That's a really interesting take. I have to say that it does look rather surprizing and come from nowhere. EDIT: And by that, I mean you should totally be able to clean house. Was a bit vague at first.

Curio is pretty clunky if you don't have multiple targets, you HAVE to use regal force and visionary, coiling oracle helps as well.
    Last edited by Triumphforks: 8/20/2011 10:22:42 PM

Soldier Primer
    Sig by ol MISAKA lo

My Trades
    I definitely like the deck, after some testing i found it can beat zoo and 12 post, but how does it do vs. combo?
    Verdant_Flame Studios
    Quote from Argetlam
    I definitely like the deck, after some testing i found it can beat zoo and 12 post, but how does it do vs. combo?

Against say, Living End, it is up to who combo's out first, and that's all. You can be REALLY fast, like turn 3 or 4 fast. But they are too. To help with this match up, I am actually considering running Preserver or Surgical Extraction or both, depending on how popular it is. It's a tough fight, I think I am 40/60 their favor, but don't quote me on that.

PS: I went 1-2 against Aaron Forsythe in the tourney practice room against his Big Zoo deck.

Soldier Primer
    Sig by ol MISAKA lo

My Trades
    Wow. I thought this deck was dead after the bannings, but behold, it's as alive as ever. The ingenuity and creativity of some people will never cease to amaze me. I am impressed.

Is genesis wave still bad?
    Lycanthropy Awareness Day.
    Hoping for a cure, or at least an outbreak.
    Quote from ThisIsNotMyName
    Wow. I thought this deck was dead after the bannings, but behold, it's as alive as ever. The ingenuity and creativity of some people will never cease to amaze me. I am impressed.

Is genesis wave still bad?

Genesis Wave is indeed bad because you dont want to be forced to draw cards. With Curio + Elvish Visionary you choose how many cards you want to draw. Regal Force's triggered ability is not a "may" ability so you could potentially have to draw too many cards.
    My issue with the poison list is that after game one you are basically dead vs control, as you have no real way to protect the spell... I'm currently goldfishing with intruder alarm and am loving it
    Quote from glurman
    Quote from Lotus Cobra

-1 Merfolk deck

Sorry if that isn't quite what you're looking for, but it's way more helpful strategically.

Level 1 Judge

Currently Playing:
    W Death and Taxes
    BGR ScapeWish Nic Fit
    BGR Punishing Nic Fit
    Quote from Addiction300
    Genesis Wave is indeed bad because you dont want to be forced to draw cards. With Curio + Elvish Visionary you choose how many cards you want to draw. Regal Force's triggered ability is not a "may" ability so you could potentially have to draw too many cards.

However, Genesis Wave is a may for each permanent, so that is not really applicable.
    Here's my trade thread. Lets make a deal!
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=427163
    Wow, tested more v. Zoo, went 3-1 in matches. Most games I win by pumping out a crapload of elves turns 1-3 then using archdruid to Zenith in regal force, refill my hand and go infinite.

Deck is working terrific, but firespout continues to antagonize me. What have we got vs. sweepers?
    Verdant_Flame Studios
    Quote from Argetlam
    Wow, tested more v. Zoo, went 3-1 in matches. Most games I win by pumping out a crapload of elves turns 1-3 then using archdruid to Zenith in regal force, refill my hand and go infinite.

Deck is working terrific, but firespout continues to antagonize me. What have we got vs. sweepers?

Ezuri can be used to give all your creatures an extra three toughness. There is also eldrazi monument.
    Fresh Meat works too.
    Quote from ThisIsNotMyName

this deck has already been done with the curio before. its what the 1.x list do. Also some of the original list had glimpse and curio.
    In life all we can do is try to make things better. Sitting lost in old ways and fearing change only makes us outdated and ignorant.

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding.
    Albert Einstein

Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity.

Thomas Jefferson

League of Legends on MTGS
    Quote from slipknot72102
    this deck has already been done with the curio before. its what the 1.x list do. Also some of the original list had glimpse and curio.

Oh. Never really got into extended and every legacy version I played against Won off of glimpse. But that makes sense. Thanks for clearing that up.
    Here is what I've been playing with:

Raggedjoe's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4 Intruder Alarm
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Joraga Treespeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    4 Gilt-Leaf Archdruid
    2 Imperious Perfect
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdent Catacombs
    2 Breeding Pool
    7 Forest
    3 Biomantic Mastery
    3 Boreal Druid
    3 Genesis Wave
    1 Progenitus

It goes along somewhat different lines than the rest of you guys have, but I like it a lot. Plenty of ways to win.
    Quote from glurman
    Quote from Lotus Cobra

-1 Merfolk deck

Level 1 Judge

Currently Playing:
    W Death and Taxes
    BGR ScapeWish Nic Fit
    BGR Punishing Nic Fit
    Quote from Raggedjoe
    Here is what I've been playing with:

Argetlam's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4 Intruder Alarm
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Heritage Druid
    4 Joraga Treespeaker
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    4 Gilt-Leaf Archdruid
    2 Imperious Perfect
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Misty Rainforest
    4 Verdent Catacombs
    2 Breeding Pool
    7 Forest
    3 Biomantic Mastery
    3 Boreal Druid
    3 Genesis Wave
    1 Progenitus

It goes along somewhat different lines than the rest of you guys have, but I like it a lot. Plenty of ways to win.

Love the Gilt-Leaf Archdruid inclusion Grin stealing everyone's lands is such a cool way to win. Do you do that fairly often or is it more for the card draw?

I think I would take out the boreal druids and a biomantic mastery for nettle sentinels. That card is a total beast with Heritage Druid. Often I get into the mode with 3 sentinels out + druid where I just cast my whole hand, Zenith into Regal force, Draw 8-9 cards, play my hand.

Also, I'm not sure how biomantic mastery is working out for you, I know it has the ability to draw a crapload of cards. I do have to say that Regal Force is Green-sun's-Zenithable which has been clinch in many games. It also allows you to run less of them.

Argetlam's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Artifacts:
    4 Cloudstone Curio

4 Heritage Druid
    4 Elvish Archdruid
    4 Arbor Elf
    3 Ranger of Eos
    4 Llanowar Elves
    4 Nettle Sentinel
    3 Essence Warden
    1 Regal Force
    4 Elvish Visionary
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
    1 Ezuri, Renegade Leader

4 Green Sun's Zenith

1 Dryad Arbor
    4 Razorverge Thicket
    2 Sunpetal Grove
    12 Forest

This is my GW splash list for Ranger of Eos. This dude let's me quickly fetch up combo pieces, or just spam with more elves. Suggestions welcome.

Also, I'm more or less at a loss for what to put in my board. Currently, the only cards I really like are 4x Mark of Asylum Which is amazing and protects my creatures from damage spells and damage sweepers. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Verdant_Flame Studios
    Choke makes blue decks cry. Krosan grip makes artifact decks cry. Relic of Progenitus makes any deck using the graveyard (Living end, goyf decks, ect) cry.

I have noticed my worste match-up by far is RDW, I have YET to win a match. I have tried putting in essence warden mainboard to try and improve things, but so far no love at all Frown any other suggestions?

Soldier Primer
    Sig by ol MISAKA lo

My Trades
    Quote from Triumphforks
    Choke makes blue decks cry. Krosan grip makes artifact decks cry. Relic of Progenitus makes any deck using the graveyard (Living end, goyf decks, ect) cry.

I have noticed my worste match-up by far is RDW, I have YET to win a match. I have tried putting in essence warden mainboard to try and improve things, but so far no love at all Frown any other suggestions?

Idk, I've tested vs. Goblins and never had a problem, but I suppose RDW is much harder. I already run essence warden mainboard because you can gain infinite life with it which will make some decks just scoop. It also routinely gains me 6-10 life a game which is not bad at all.

I guess you could try more lifegain, like leyline of vitality in the board etc. One thing that RDW does is always kills your creatures, which Mark of Asylum deals with very neatly.
    Verdant_Flame Studios
    I am going the UG route, which means mark is a non-option for me. Usually I just have to hope I squeeze in an early Akroma's Memorial, which makes lots of deck scoop.

Soldier Primer
    Sig by ol MISAKA lo

My Trades
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes