Snapcaster Mage in UWR Draw-Go

I check on the Modern daily results from Wizards' website almost everyday. When a UWR control deck places (the one where the only creatures are Snapcaster Mages), there's only ever three of the card in the list.

Why is that? I've built several iterations of the UWR control deck and each time I find myself 4 Snapcasters. Isn't it the best card in the deck?
    I play 3 because it's on the expensive side mana-wise (even if it's just a 3-drop) that I never want 2 of in my opening hand or often in my top 10-12, and because the 2/1 body tends to be not-very-relevant except as a blocker.
    In certain matchups the body is irrelevant as well as the high cmc, so it depends on your meta. I run 4 and would never consider running less because flashing a 2/1 eot and start bashing does work against some decks in my meta.
    Legacy:
    U/B mana Dark Depths
    U/B mana Faeries
    W/U mana Miracles
    blue mana Solidarity
    U/R mana Delver

Modern:
    U/B mana Faeries
    U/R mana Twin
    W/U mana U/R mana Control

U/B mana HOORRAY BITTERBLOSSOM U/B mana
    blue mana Free JACE blue mana
    Quote from taylors
    I play 3 because it's on the expensive side mana-wise (even if it's just a 3-drop) that I never want 2 of in my opening hand or often in my top 10-12, and because the 2/1 body tends to be not-very-relevant except as a blocker.

This is my thinking as well. Having multiple in your opening hand/early draws is pretty bad in a lot of match ups. In the early game they also fight over the same cards in your graveyard.

Snapcaster mage is not value unless you're trading off that 2/1 body, or you're flashing back a wrath, revelation or electrolyze, which is quite a bit of mana. Obviously there are corner cases, but those are the majority of times that snapcaster gets 2+ cards worth of value. Otherwise it's just a regrowth/instant speed regrowth that prevents some combat damage.

Also playing the full 4 makes you weaker to scavenging ooze and you don't get to play much graveyard hate in your sideboard. In fact none of the UWR decks have rest in peace/relic of progenitus. I guess that's why the non angel/clique version played the full 4 spell snares (for ooze). It seems like you really want to play 3-4 spell snares now to counter ooze/voice.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/wc13/ModernDecklists
    It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes