BUG Grisly Salvage Control

This is an idea I've been toying with, and I think it has a decent amount of potential. I've always liked using the graveyard, and I've found in large part, the graveyard is one of the best sources of efficient incremental card advantage in the format. *edit* If this should be placed in the deck creation section, feel free to move it since it's nothing established or tested at this point.

The increased popularity of cards like Eternal Witness and the dominance of Snapcaster mage just proves this point. That being said, I think there is additional room for development of a deck like this. I'll admit, I haven't fully hammered out a hardcore decklist and tested anything, but I like the potential here, and I feel like you can play a control deck largely at instant speed, and really grind out your opponents card by card while throwing down blockers that they have a difficult time dealing with. I could even see myself playing Cavern of souls naming "human" in here to be sure that I can resolve my witnesses and snapcasters.

Whats the big Idea?

Personally, I feel Grisly Salvage is a super powerful card, and one of the best overall cards printed in RTR. It's a common, but in a deck built properly, it's like an Impulse that puts cards in your graveyard. Impulse has always been good, but when you can pitch cards to the graveyard, you can reach the point of breaking the card, especially when the creatures you're using salvage to find interact in similar fashion with the graveyard.

When you use grisly salvage, not only can you run a lower land count, but you combine it with a creature suite of 4x Snapcaster Mage, 4x Eternal Witness, which forms a subtle, yet powerful card advantage engine that also provides a degree of card and library manipulation.

Here is a preliminary shell I've put together without testing. I added a singleton visions of beyond, since I find I'll reach the point of 20+ cards in the graveyard by mid-game off thought scours, darkblast dredges, and grisly salvages. I want to test Yeva, Natures Herald in here, since flashing in Finks, Eternal Witness, and Thragtusk seems awesome to me. Even when you can't do that, Yeva is a decent 4/4 blocker and attacker on her own, that comes out at instant speed.

Badd Business's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Creatures
    4x Snapcaster Mage
    4x Eternal Witness
    1x Vendilion Clique
    1x Yeva, Nature's Herald
    1x Thragtusk
    1x Kitchen Finks

Instants / Sorceries
    1x Dismember
    1x Doom Blade
    3x Abrupt Decay
    4x Mana Leak
    3x Cryptic Command
    1x Darkblast
    1x Mystical Teachings
    4x Grisly Salvage
    1x Tribute to Hunger
    4x Thought Scour
    1x Visions of Beyond

Artifacts
    2x Vedalken Shackles

Last edited by Badd Business: 10/1/2012 12:10:09 PM
    Find me online - I'm on Cockatrice * Tag - Badd B - Or on MTGO - Tag - Cbus05
    Aether Vial, Dark Confident, and Tarmogoyf ?

Worth a test, but that becomes an entirely different deck at that point, and also becomes more "tempo" than control.
    Why not 1 or 2 maelstrom pulses?
    why not 4 abrupt decay? XD

that card is insane, really. about the deck idea, I think it's really viable; I'd never run less than 24 lands in it. I've been trying to build something into BUG, a bit less full control, with aether vial and more creatures, but that's a different approach.

One card yet that I would recommend you is Creeping tar-pit. Insane manland. I think that shriekmaw is pretty abusable with witness, you know, terror in the first turns, and then grab it back and use it as a finisher. Maybe a 2-of.

I don't find the 4x grisly salvage + 4x thought scour so amusing... I know that they replace themselves and all, but if you are worrying about filling your grave during the first turns, you are getting stomped by any aggro deck. and if you were on with the control, your graveyard should already have something worth it when snapcasters and witnesses come down. I've played with witness, and very rarely you will want to play it turn 3. It's the best topdeck you could ask for when your hand is emptying.

I would throw out the thought scours if you ask me, drawing a card without knowing which one isn't worth it if you ask me, but in that sense I feel grisly salvage is much better. You can dig really deep into an answer, and you put more cards in the grave. Putting two without seeing them can turn out really bad (it can send the witness/snapcasta you were looking for to their death)

Shackles is an excellent card, yet now that abrupt decay, I suspect, will see a lot of play, I think it's less stronger than before (significantly). You'd pay 5 mana just to get it destroyed with that bomb-removal, and can't do nothing about it. I admit I'm not being totally impartial because I really hate that card played against me :P, it is great, but have in mind that you are running 3 colors, and being intensive in B and G (witness, grisly salvage, decay, yeva, finks) so it will demand a regular amount of damage from shocklands which will be tough against aggro

That's my toughts

That's closer to what I built (completely independent of anyone else, mind you).

Great minds, I guess.
    ATTACHMENTS
    • bug
    I fly like Faeries, get high like Jace
    If you catch me with a Verdict I got Celestial Colonnade
    If you try to cast a spell I'll counter all day
    I'll beat you in a second if you wait
    Hmmm the only thing I like about that list that really screams controlly is the eternal witness and snappy. Your creature base is extremely lacking. Visions byond no. Just no it sucks. You can run lower land count but not by much most of the time you don't want to fetch land with those. They also make match up with goyf and kor hit that much harder. Kitchen finks is negilatable in this. Its far better to replace with a deathrite shaman. Which functions as mana , life gain, a ten turn clock. And grave yard hate for. Goyf and kor and everything else. Grisey salvage is a stupidly good card. My deck doesn't just use it. It abuses it.
    I am petitioning for the removal of mythic rarity and boycotting overpriced singles. Sig this to join the cause for a more affordable Magic the Gathering.:o
    Quote from colesy4971
    Let's complain about no Tarmogoyf reprint. Oh they're reprinting it? At mythic? TIME TO COMPLAIN AGAIN.

Quote from Senior Gomez

Holy bat-nipples bat man! Thanks to the power of basic mathematics we know that the MSRP per booster box of Modern Master is $167.76! Gee, thanks math!
    Sorry to say it but Grisly salvage is not as good as you think, for me it screams Reveillark reanimator or some other shenanigans, not counter control. It is not impulse you can't get spells, the thing you need most to protect yourself. Sure those creatures can get the job done or get back what you need but now you have spent 4+ mana just to set that up. I think Gifts and Thirst allow for plenty of Yard card advantage already. Abrupt decay, Loam and Witnes are the reasons to play green for control.
    Last edited by Chromatone: 10/1/2012 7:06:05 PM
    I think you run tarmogoyfs in this deck, and you could add them buy cutting thragtusk, yeva, and the shackles.
    It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
    ive been running grisley salvage in my brew and its just nuts. its like i draw 3 cards everytime
    I am petitioning for the removal of mythic rarity and boycotting overpriced singles. Sig this to join the cause for a more affordable Magic the Gathering.:o
    Quote from colesy4971
    Let's complain about no Tarmogoyf reprint. Oh they're reprinting it? At mythic? TIME TO COMPLAIN AGAIN.

Quote from Senior Gomez

Holy bat-nipples bat man! Thanks to the power of basic mathematics we know that the MSRP per booster box of Modern Master is $167.76! Gee, thanks math!
    IDK I just think going rock would be waaay beter for this card, it doesnt play especialy great with blue instants and shackles. Reveillark and lingering souls would be way more synergistic, and just lean on discard for control, plus even a loam engine.
    Last edited by Chromatone: 10/1/2012 11:40:10 PM
    Quote from Chromatone
    IDK I just think going rock would be waaay beter for this card, it doesnt play especialy great with blue instants and shackles. Reveillark and lingering souls would be way more synergistic, and just lean on discard for control, plus even a loam engine.

i use it in an agressive rock deck and its just dumb. i just need a couple more cards to tweak it and its good. snappy has potential but i doubt it is in this shell.
    Quote from colesy4971

Quote from Senior Gomez

My main thought of why grisly salvage is good in control is that you can play it instant speed, grab a witness or snapcaster, dump 4 cards, and get a card and body back when you cast witness or snapcaster. As the game goes later, you get more cards in your graveyard, and can manipulate the grave via witness recursions, and even draw off visions.

Obviously against aggro you're not casting it turn 2 if they're playing something. That's why you're a control deck, you wait until the coast is clear, then start using salvage to get gas.

In an aggro shell, you want to be playing threats turn 2, not searching for creatures.

I gave this some tests however, and I think it's too soft against aggro. Not having access to Path to Exile or Lightning Helix in this format is a big deal. Abrupt decay can't make up for super-efficient 1 mana removal spells, and you don't really have any great anti-aggro options in BUG outside tapping out for Kitchen finks. The card advantage engine definitely works, but it's just missing a certain something to make it tick properly.

My other problem is that you're opening yourself up to graveyard hate more than you should be.
    Yea ill pay around with a list I certainly knew where you were coming from with this. Black does have decent cheap removal, disfigure, dismember, and even tragic slip have all been solid. I think straying away from cryptic and shackles might be needed as well for beter low damage mana.
    Quote from Badd Business
    I gave this some tests however, and I think it's too soft against aggro. Not having access to Path to Exile or Lightning Helix in this format is a big deal. Abrupt decay can't make up for super-efficient 1 mana removal spells, and you don't really have any great anti-aggro options in BUG outside tapping out for Kitchen finks. The card advantage engine definitely works, but it's just missing a certain something to make it tick properly.

My other problem is that you're opening yourself up to graveyard hate more than you should be.

These two things concern me as well. I haven't played it yet, but I think tarmogoyfs are really appropriate here. The best thing to stop aggro is a huge body that they can't run through that you can efficiently cast leaving mana open to still play control magic.

As far as graveyard hate, all you can really do is preemptively play pithing needle naming crypt, or counter surgical extraction when they play it. If they play leyline of the void, you'll have to pulse it.

As for dark confidant, this deck isn't really aggressive enough to play it, and we have too many 4cmc spells. I could possibly see aether vial, but the deck seems to want to get to late game and just use the mana to cast your creatures.
    Last edited by Mastodon: 10/2/2012 12:04:05 PM
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes