Pro Tour RTR Modern Decklists - all decks 18 points or better at PTRTR

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptrtr12/topmoderndecks

Some interesting choices in there, including a RGb Tron (splashing black for sideboard Slaughter Games), some goofy pod lists, and the Niv-Magus and nu-Storm decks. Affinity, Jund, and UWx Tempo/Control seem to be the most prevalent. The none winning egg decks all seemed to run Banefire as their win-con, which seems a better decision to me than Spellbomb/Grapeshot but it worked for Cifka.

For a better look at the Meta, this is the link since the only reason many of these guys didn't make it to the Top 8 is thanks to draft.
    Last edited by the_cardfather: 10/22/2012 1:23:50 PM
    Currently Playing

Modern
    RG RG Tron GR
    UWR American Midrange RWU
    UR Affinity RU

EDH
    RGW Uril, the Miststalker WGR
    BU Wrexial, the Risen Deep UB
    RB Wort, Boggart Auntie BR
    WW Crovax, Ascendant Hero WW
    These decks are actually 6-X or better, not 9-x. 18 match points is 6 match wins or 5 match wins and 3 ties.
    That's actually the list of decks that went x/4 or better.
    It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds.
    Quote from rickster_
    That's actually the list of decks that went x/4 or better.

Sorry about that. Messaged a mod to correct, thanks!
    Currently Playing

Modern
    RG RG Tron GR
    UR Affinity RU

EDH
    Just hit "Edit" and "Go Advanced". You can edit your own titles. Teach

Also the easiest way to get to the mods is to "report" your own post. Smile

Updated for you.
    Your Sig is Now Free to Move about the Forum.

My thoughts on: Going Infinite | Block Constructed | MTGCatalyst Blog Home
    Quote from the_cardfather
    Just hit "Edit" and "Go Advanced". You can edit your own titles. Teach

Also the easiest way to get to the mods is to "report" your own post. Smile

Updated for you.

Thanks so much! Noted for future reference.

Also, courtesy of user Lectrys (http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showpost.php?p=9219462&postcount=408) here is the breakdown:

Affinity: 6 Blue, 1 Bob, 4 Rainbow, 4 Red (15 total)
    Doran Rock: 1
    Eternal Command: 1
    Exarch Twin: 1
    Gifts Control: 1 No Red
    Infect: 2 BUG, 1 UG (3 total)
    Jumanji: 1 All Creatures
    Jund: 13 Deathrite, 10 Traditional, 4 ? (56 cards only; could be Traditional or Deathrite) (27 total)
    Junk: 1 Wish Abuse
    Merfolk: 1 Mono-Blue, 1 White Splash (2 total)
    Nivmagus Pump: 1
    RDW: 1 Rakdos Deck Wins
    RG Artifact Tron: 4
    RUG Tempo Thresh: 3
    Soul Sisters: 2
    Sunny Side Up: 1 Cantrips, 2 KCI (2 total)
    Twin Pod: 2 5-colour, 3 No Black (5 total)
    UGr Scapeshift Combo: 4 Cryptic
    UR Moon Control: 1
    UR Storm: 4 Electromancer
    UW Restoration Tempo: 7
    UWR Delver: 4
    Valakut Other: 1 RUG Omen-Shift, 1 RUG Ramp, 1 Black Splash Combo, 1 Naya Zoo Ramp (4 total)
    W/x Tokens: 1 BW
    Zombies: 1 BG Vengevine Smallpox
    Zoo: 1 Boom//Bust, 1 Tribal Blue (2 total)
    Last edited by VideSupra: 10/22/2012 1:40:34 PM
    Currently Playing

Modern
    RG RG Tron GR
    UR Affinity RU

EDH
    Why didn't they list the 4 copies of each Urza land in the Tron lists? lol
    some kind of typo. The lands show in the first deck.
    They usually say the points they had to, want to know how some of the brews actually faired.
    Quote from Chromatone
    They usually say the points they had to, want to know how some of the brews actually faired.

You can figure that out based on the standings by format: http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/eventcoverage/ptrtr12/standformat&tablesort=3
    Some ordering by points

27 points
    1 Eggs
    1 Jund

25 points
    1 Eggs
    1 Jund
    1 Valakut

24 points
    2 Affinity
    1 Eggs
    2 Infect
    1 Naya
    3 Jund
    2 Storm
    1 Valakut

Overall, in decks that were X-2 or better, ordered by popularity:
    deck		number of people who played it	number who went x-2 or better

Jund		119				5
    Valakut		39				2
    Affinity	36				2
    UW Control	32				0
    Kiki-Jiki	18				0
    UWR Delver	18				0
    UR Storm	17				2
    Infect		11				2
    GR Tron		11				0
    Eggs 		8				3
    Naya 		2				1

This suggests that the following decks are performing poorly : UWR Delver, Kiki-Jiki Pod, UW Control, Tron.

And that the following decks performed better than expected : Infect, Eggs, Storm
    And our PTRTR Modern Rounds Top 16, processed by Lectrys, are:
    1. Stanislav Cifka: Sunny Side Up (Cantrips)
    2. Denniz Rachid: Jund (Deathrite)
    3. David Ochoa: Jund (Deathrite)
    4. Shi Tian Lee: UGr Scapeshift Combo
    5. Sebastian Denno: Sunny Side Up (KCI)
    6. Kelvin Chew: Infect (UG)
    7. Willy Edel: Jund (Traditional)
    8. Pedro Carvalho: Affinity (Blue)
    9. Ari Lax: Infect (BUG)
    10. Daniel Royde: Jund (Traditional)
    11. Tom Martell: UR Storm (Electromancer)
    12. Josh Utter-Leyton: Jund (Deathrite)
    13. Jon Finkel: UR Storm (Electromancer)
    14. Marco Camilluzzi: Zoo (Boom//Bust)
    15. David Quaglia: Naya Jund Zoo Ramp Scapeshift Valakut
    16. John Cuvelier: Affinity (Red)

So our Top 8 contains 3 Jund, 1 UGr Scapeshift Combo, 1 Infect, 1 Affinity, and 2 Sunny Side Up. I'm surprised this many Sunny Side Up decks cracked Top 8, but aggressively mulling for Leylines must work for both pilots against a Jund-infested meta.

Rounding out our Top 16 are 2 Jund, 1 Infect, 2 UR Storm, 1 Zoo, 1 Affinity, and 1 weird Valakut Aggro deck.

Our highest-ranked Soul Sisters player is in 31st place (Tamás Glied), our highest-ranked RG Artifact Tron player is in 48th place (Stephen Berrios), and our highest-ranked Twin Pod player is in 20th place (Anthony Berlingieri).
    Last edited by Lectrys: 10/22/2012 8:58:46 PM
    How did the Doran deck do? I miss the old Doran decks, wish he could be competitive here.
    MTGO: SethDrone
    Christian Calcano the Doran fan got 28th place.
    What the heck is the very first deck? Why are there Tron lands in that thing? Am I overlooking something ovious?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Raoul Duke
    Yeah, the thing you're overlooking is that none of the Tron decks seem to have any Tron lands in them.

There are also lots of Jund decks with fewer than 60 cards, and I suspect more than half the sideboards have less than 15 cards in them.
    Quote from Lectrys
    Yeah, the thing you're overlooking is that none of the Tron decks seem to have any Tron lands in them.

There are also lots of Jund decks with fewer than 60 cards, and I suspect more than half the sideboards have less than 15 cards in them.
    Yeah, after looking through it some more, it seems like a good chunk of it is misinformation, errors, and gibberish.

This is typical of how they're handling event results lately. Like all those missing event results from MTGO. I'm starting to get real bad taste in my mouth over this. Blarg. Can't say what I want to say 'cuz it'll earn me a suspension. But you can guess what wants to spew out of my potty mouth.
    Well have you tried to bring this to their attention? Seems really baaad as they were touting how you could just click on the pro tour decks and play them. Some one is simply not doing their job properly, or it has something to do with new client beta.
    Quote from Chromatone
    Well have you tried to bring this to their attention? Seems really baaad as they were touting how you could just click on the pro tour decks and play them. Some one is simply not doing their job properly, or it has something to do with new client beta.
    Just did.
    http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75846/29443457/What_is_WRONG_with_you,_WotC_Grrrr.....
    This smacks of conspiracy to me, with the missing events on MTGO, that they're purposefully muddying meta info.
    All cards missing are ones with apostrophes, just something I've noticed. This means Junds decks with missing cards likely had finks in some number. I have no clue what the Pod and WW lists are missing. Eggs is missing Faith's Reward and Conjurer's Bauble.
    Quote from mozerdozer
    All cards missing are ones with apostrophes, just something I've noticed. This means Junds decks with missing cards likely had finks in some number. I have no clue what the Pod and WW lists are missing. Eggs is missing Faith's Reward and Conjurer's Bauble.

...Or Geralf's Messengers, based on some of the mana bases. Actually, perhaps all of the mana bases.
    Yeah, lots of database errors. Nice catch noting it was apostraphes that might be causing it - that addresses all the Urza errors.

That said, the Urza lands showed up in some mono-red lists, so maybe its more problematic an just apostrophes.
    Currently Playing

Modern
    RG RG Tron GR
    UR Affinity RU

EDH
    Why is there Tron pieces in the first Rb decklist?

edit: nevermind
    Last edited by Mr. Monopoly: 10/23/2012 10:49:27 AM
    This suggests that the following decks are performing poorly : UWR Delver, Kiki-Jiki Pod, UW Control, Tron.

And that the following decks performed better than expected : Infect, Eggs, Storm

U/W Resto has underperformed at every major Modern tournament since Resoration Angel hit the scene. I'm baffled as to why people keep playing it.
    http://kirblar024.wordpress.com - I has a blog now!

Current post- Grand Prix KC Modern Postmortem (7/7/13)
    Quote from Kirblar
    U/W Resto has underperformed at every major Modern tournament since Resoration Angel hit the scene. I'm baffled as to why people keep playing it.
    At a guess, I'd say because: It's UW, it's gotta be good! And it does pull in the occasional win to keep the people that think that hopes going.

And to be fair, it does pull in 3-1's and 4-0's in the daily SEs.

Tron has also been consistently shown to perform at T1.5, bordering on T2, levels, yet people continue to play that, as well. But there, I can see it cuz it's very budget-friendly (except for Karn).
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes