Why doesn't Modern officially have a type?

I've been curious about his for a while. I think it should have one, personally.
    Quote from SteB
    [Chrome Mox is] just another of the cards that was banned as a shot in the dark without any actual reason, among Jitte and Sword of the Meek.
    Types are a holdover from an earlier era; even WotC doesn't use the types in their documentation/coverage anymore, they use Standard, Legacy, etc.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Raoul Duke
    Yeah, amusingly there just seems to be this portion of the Magic community that enjoys calling things by their old names. Show me someone who calls Standard "type 2", and I'll show you someone who calls MTGO "MODO".
    L1 Judge
    Quote from Veloso
    Yeah, amusingly there just seems to be this portion of the Magic community that enjoys calling things by their old names. Show me someone who calls Standard "type 2", and I'll show you someone who calls MTGO "MODO".

...I call both formats by their older names because they sound better. That's the main reason. Just like why Dark Confidant is oft called "Bob." Thanks to Maher, we now have a easier, quicker, smoother way to refer to our favorite 2 drop.
    Tantarus: It didn't make the gaka greifer level, so it should be fine

EDH:
    RNorin the WaryR <-Link! (Primer - Mono Red Control)
    GUEdric, Spymaster of TrestUG <- Link! (Mini-Primer - Dredge)

Duel Commander:
    WUGeist of Saint TraftUW <- Link! (Aggro-Control)
    BGSkullbriar, the Walking GraveGB <- Link! (Aggro)
    BUGDamia, Sage of StoneGUB <- Link! (Extinction Control)

Church of the Wary
    because it is simple and everyone likes naming stuff.
    Modern should be Type 3, just because there is Type 2 and 4, but no 3
    Standard
    Boring...

Modern
    RGBJund:Pet Deck RGB
    RWUAmerican Taxes RWU
    All decks

Vintage
    XXMUD(Missing Lotus and Moxen)XX

EDH
    XKarn and the Living StaxX
    GWUThe Deceiving PhelddagrifGWU
    I also vote Type 3.

Wizard Certified Rules Adviser
    Trade Thread
    I could have sworn Type 3 was Limited. As it's not, I also support Type 3 Modern.
    Tantarus: It didn't make the gaka greifer level, so it should be fine

EDH:
    RNorin the WaryR <-Link! (Primer - Mono Red Control)
    GUEdric, Spymaster of TrestUG <- Link! (Mini-Primer - Dredge)

Duel Commander:
    WUGeist of Saint TraftUW <- Link! (Aggro-Control)
    BGSkullbriar, the Walking GraveGB <- Link! (Aggro)
    BUGDamia, Sage of StoneGUB <- Link! (Extinction Control)

Church of the Wary
    All in favor?

Done. Modern is now Type 3.

Hooray case closed

UWRThe only colors I'll ever need RWU

Modern
    --------
    URUUR Tempo-TwinURU
    xUxAffinityxRx
    URUStormURU
    RUGRUG ScapeshiftGUR
    Quote from DXI-Edge
    All in favor?

Done. Modern is now Type 3.

Hooray case closed

LOL! if only naming things were this easy. lets get the mods to adjust the "Modern" forum heading to be "Modern (Type 3)"
    Quote from SteB
    [Chrome Mox is] just another of the cards that was banned as a shot in the dark without any actual reason, among Jitte and Sword of the Meek.
    No.

Let's instead petition the mods to REMOVE the types, and make future references to "types" and "MODO" trollable offenses!

Caution Into The Wind
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Raoul Duke
    Quote from BlippyTheSlug
    No.

Let's instead petition the mods to REMOVE the types, and make future references to "types" and "MODO" trollable offenses!

Caution Into The Wind
    HERE HERE! You are truly my favorite Mollusc.
    GaJo
    tumblr: thewormturns
    MTGO: Dr Worm
    EDH: Earl, Ghaiji Aggro, Snow Patrol, Shirei, Eeshatron, Momir Big, What's Yours is Mine, Punisher
    Modern: Red Snow Devotion, X-Force, Black Devotion Control
    Currently Testing: Fever Dream

؟ is the "Irony Mark", but since no one seems to be able to use the term "irony" correctly, I hereby dub it the "Sarcasm Mark."
    How does Type 3 make sense? Type 1 is Vintage, slightly more restrictive is 1.5 (Legacy), then Type 2 is Standard. Modern is something like 1.75.

Quote from clan_iraq

Oh, I thought he was talking about playing a spell that is countering a spell with counters on it as it comes into play, but I see you guys were just discussing whether he was flashing a creature with flash in order to flash a flashback or just flashing a creature with flash but not needing flash in order to flashback a spell without flash.

-regarding Snapcaster Mage.
    I thought Modern was into redheads.
    I fly like Faeries, get high like Jace
    If you catch me with a Verdict I got Celestial Colonnade
    If you try to cast a spell I'll counter all day
    I'll beat you in a second if you wait
    Let's say that 1.5 is Legacy, 2.0 is Standard, and that Modern appears somewhere in between both values. We'll also say that these values are given based on the amount of cards we have available, with higher numbers dictating less cards are available. Then we can calculate what Modern should be based on suggesting that Legacy means all, and Standard means none. Yes, we realize all and none aren't good terms to use, but they're likely the best available, since we can't suggest why the difference between Legacy and Vintage card pools would equal that of the difference between Standard and Legacy.

1.5 + (the ratio of cards in Modern) = our Modern number.
    1.5 + [(sets in Standard / sets in Modern) * .5]
    1.5 + [(6 / 35) * .5] = x

Therefore, we should call Modern type 1.6

It stands to reason, I mathematically came up with the answer. If you don't like it, then we can keep calling it Modern. It'd be awkward cause Modern's type would always grow smaller as more sets release.

PS. I had no idea we'd actually get a nice number for Modern, with only two significant digits. The first way I came up with a number, the calculator spit out 10 digits of significant numbers. The first way had sets in Modern that are not in Standard / sets in Modern as the fraction, but I realized that we wanted the number lower rather than higher, as we said lower indicates more cards available. We would also arrive at a different value if we tried to do it relative to the sets available in Legacy.
    Last edited by darksteel88: 9/14/2012 12:01:38 AM
    Quote from HammerAndSickled
    How does Type 3 make sense? Type 1 is Vintage, slightly more restrictive is 1.5 (Legacy), then Type 2 is Standard. Modern is something like 1.75.

Type ϕ?

Practice for Vintage Masters Limited:
    Draft: (#1) (#2) (#3) (#4)
    Well extended was 1.x right? So maybe modern can be 1.m
    Truth has a liberal bias.
    I believe the question has been answered already; this is turning into quite a spam thread. Locked.
    -Tom

Come Play Mafia With Us | CA Bay Area Community Thread | Play Modern With Us

Quote from ganderin_dan

You guys should be following Tom around like he's Moses or something.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes