What's the best deck on an insane budget?

I'm kind of curious what the best competitive deck is that will perform fairly well if restricted to little to no money for a tournament.
    U/R Storm.
    Modern (I collect the format):

WURDelver
    [/MANA]MANA]R[/MANA]GTron
    WDeath and Taxes
    WSoul Sisters
    RWG Pod Combo
    URSplinter Twin
    URStorm
    RBurn
    UR Storm's land base alone can cost $80+ and that's pushing it really cheap. When I mean budget I really mean budget.
    My vote goes to Burn. You really want to have the fetch lands, but it'll function close to optimal with just 20 Mountains. I can't think of any money cards in that deck at all. Goblin Guide?
    Thanks to mchief111 for the signature banner! Get one here!

EDH: Teneb, the Harvester
    EDH: Nin, the Pain Artist
    Modern: Death & Taxes
    Modern: UW Tron
    Legacy: Dredge
    Standard: Best jank I can find...
    Quote from Jamal865
    I'm kind of curious what the best competitive deck is that will perform fairly well if restricted to little to no money for a tournament.

When has a budget deck ever been competitive in any eternal format? You can either make a crappy, budget tier one deck or try to find a well-built budget tier two deck, but either way you will be at a disadvantage - and thus not competitive, to me - to players with truly effective decks. That's just the benefit a good mana base has - broad answers to many situations - that can't be replicated in an efficient, cheap way.

So with that said, I second burn, but I doubt you'll get the results you want.
    UUU Talrand, Sky Summoner // (W/U)(W/U)(W/U) Grand Arbiter Augustin IV // RRR Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker // (R/G)(R/G)(R/G) Wort, the Raidmother // URG Riku of Two Reflections // RWU Ruhan of the Fomori
    Quote from Mark Rosewater »
    In response to your Lightning Blast, I'll eat this burrito.

Quote from slipknot72102 »
    This is why I started playing magic in the first place. It wasn't PT aspirations just making noobs cry by doing things that are perfectly fair.
    Quote from daugarten
    My vote goes to Burn. You really want to have the fetch lands, but it'll function close to optimal with just 20 Mountains. I can't think of any money cards in that deck at all. Goblin Guide?
    Yea, I think that is about it. Maybe Elves, but I am not sure what is in it these days. Competitive magic costs a bit to play, so even the decks that we see as "Budget" might bee too much for you.
    GaJo
    tumblr: thewormturns
    MTGO: Dr Worm
    EDH: Earl, Ghaiji Aggro, Snow Patrol, Shirei, Eeshatron, Momir Big, What's Yours is Mine, Punisher
    Modern: Red Snow Devotion, X-Force, Black Devotion Control
    Currently Testing: Fever Dream

؟ is the "Irony Mark", but since no one seems to be able to use the term "irony" correctly, I hereby dub it the "Sarcasm Mark."
    The only necessary lands in UR storm are the reefs and the tarns. Tarns are easily traded for and reefs are maybe three dollars apiece. The steam vents are nice but not necessary and everything else is a common or uncommon.

Thanks to Argetlam @ Hakai Studios!

Originally Posted by Solaran_X
    I carry a briefcase handcuffed to my wrist whenever I play Vintage. Inside that briefcase is a GPS and launch codes for a nuclear missile that is set to home in on that particular GPS. If someone steals my ****, everyone dies.
    RDW or mono red burn is just fine. You can punish people quite effectively for spending so much on manabases that often lightning bolt themselves
    Soul Sisters is super cheap
    The OP is misleading. I thought this thread was about what deck to play if you have a lot of money.

You could also try goyfless zoo.
    Any of the mono color decks are by far the best way to start.
    RDW is pretty much ALWAYS the answer to this question. Just for future reference. Find a decent replacement for guides if you really need to keep it under $20
    Embrace reality. Deal with the facts, live with the truth.
    How does mono white tokens run? It looks fairly cheap
    Quote from bakgat
    The OP is misleading. I thought this thread was about what deck to play if you have a lot of money.

You could also try goyfless zoo.

You know Zoo needs 3 color mana base and all the shock lands/fetchs are pretty expensive right... and they needs 4 knights, Hierarch(maybe Elspeth), all that add up will be huge budget.

Umm RDW Affinity, Twins, Elves are on low budgets and can be good
    Legacy : U/W/R Delver
    Modern: Mono Red Control, (...I hate this format)
    EDH : Ghaves , Kaalia
    Last I checked, Living End was quite cheap
    Check out my trade thread Grin
    Check out my buylist! Kekeke

Standard
    B Mono Black Devotion
    EDH
    U Azami, Lady of Scrolls
    Modern
    XR Affinity
    Legacy
    R Burn
    WUB Affinity
    Quote from ShAdOwFuRi

Just as expensive as U/R storm once you factor in the sideboard and the land base.
    Their are budget options for mana bases though.

Plus the worldwake manlands are pretty cheap now add some shard lands and a few reflecting pools and you have yourself a all right mana base.
    Quote from ShAdOwFuRi

The mana base is expensive with all the fetches. I recomend mono-red with no fetchlands if you have almost nothing to spend. Just look for 3dmg burn spells like Lightning Bolt, Incinerate, Lava Spike, and hastey creatures like Spark Elmental, Hellspark Elemental, Goblin Bushwacker, and Goblin Guide. I even recomend 2 Faithless Looting to turn late game lands into burn spells.
    WoTC, thank you for finally announcing the Modern format, an eternal format where everyone can participate.
    Playing the Xth Edition UR Dual and the Innistrad Dual makes for a cheap Storm manabase.
    Since everyone's harping on the fetches being in every deck.. what's the cheapest budget deck assuming you have fetches then?
    Probably still Mono-R Burn, lol. Raadic was right when he said RDW or Mono-R Burn are almost always the answer to that question.
    Thanks to mchief111 for the signature banner! Get one here!

EDH: Teneb, the Harvester
    EDH: Nin, the Pain Artist
    Modern: Death & Taxes
    Modern: UW Tron
    Legacy: Dredge
    Standard: Best jank I can find...
    Quote from mordath
    Since everyone's harping on the fetches being in every deck.. what's the cheapest budget deck assuming you have fetches then?

Lving End, Boros, Rakdos, Agro-Elves.
    WoTC, thank you for finally announcing the Modern format, an eternal format where everyone can participate.
    Quote from Anne Noise
    When has a budget deck ever been competitive in any eternal format?
    So with that said, I second burn, but I doubt you'll get the results you want.

I can't speak for the current modern meta, but if you take a gander over in legacy you'll find that burn is currently tier 1. That's as budget as it gets in legacy or any eternal format. that said, I still think affinity is pretty budget, as is burn.

Credit to DolZero for this awesome sig!
    RDW can be competitive in Modern even if it lacks consistency. There are a bunch of 4-0 RDW finishes in the MTGO Modern DEs (including one yesterday which beat me in the last round... ugh). Unfortunately, one of the easiest ways to try to make RDW more consistent - fetch lands to thin out the deck - add a ton to the cost. Without fetch lands, a competitive RDW can be built for around $60-80.

Another cheap option is Matryr Proc which is around $200, but I think RDW is more competitive.

Quote from weltkrieg
    that said, I still think affinity is pretty budget, as is burn.

Not sure Affinity can be considered budget - The Nexus playsets, Mox Opal, Ravager if you run them, are all pricy. Plus lots of little cards like Etched Champion, Glimmervoid, Master of Etherium, and Steel Overseer add up depending on what build is being run. And that's if you're not going Dark Affinity...
    Standard green mana Mono-Green Aggro
    Modern :symb::0mana: Dark Affinity | :symu::symr: UR Breach | :symb::symr: Dark Burn
    Casual :symw::symu::symb::symr::symg: Bruna Reanimator (Standard)
    My LGS is Asgard Games in Houston, TX.
    I feel that Living End is the answer here. It only needs a few fetches, maybe 4 or 5, which is much better than most decks. The landbase is very versatile and even without an ideal one, the deck tends to run very smoothly. Almost every card in the deck is a common or uncommon except living end itself, which is like 3 bucks. Street Wraith is the second most expensive nonland in it. Fulminator Mage is also around 3 bucks, but he's build-dependent.
    My 450 Peasant Cube
    Proud creator of the Modern Uroboros Primer and the Pauper Boros Landfall Primer
    My Trade Thread and Buylist
    Rules Advisor
    Modern: WBRUroborosRBW BRGLiving EndGRB
    Legacy: UHigh TideU
    EDH: GAzusa, Lost but SeekingG URGAnimar, Soul of ElementsGRU

The only thing more annoying than the "dies to removal" argument is the constant assertion that the creature in question would be better with hexproof.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes