MTGO Ratings

Hi Guys,

This is my first post on MTG Salvation!

I'm looking for a little guidance on MTGO ratings. My rating since the release of SOM hovers between 1700-1725. But, what does this mean?

Where do I rank overall on MTGO?

Can anyone give me an idea of the level of player at say 1500, 1600, 1700, 1800, 1900...

Any help much appreciated.
    as near as I can tell on MTGO the rating system is more or less defunct. It is primarily used to tell you as the individual how you have done over your lifetime of gaming. It doesn't actually as far as I know have any bearing on tournament qualification or anything like that the way that the DCI Ratings have. Though I could be entirely mistaken about this.

There is one important thing to keep in mind however, and that is that you are the only one who can see your rating. Thus what you say you are rated is only able to be validated to yourself, and to no one else.
    "As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero." -- Varsuvius, Order of the Stick
    Talking limited

1400 really bad, should play a different game
    1500 bad
    1600 below average to average
    1700 is above average.
    1800 really good
    1900 amazing usually only able to hit this level if you win a big turnie

Mid to upper 1800 is where you can play for free, assuming your smart with selling cards and pick $ cards over playables a good chunk of the time.
    Quote from Shivdaddy
    Talking limited

1400 really bad, should play a different game
    1500 bad
    1600 below average to average
    1700 is above average.
    1800 really good
    1900 amazing usually only able to hit this level if you win a big turnie

Mid to upper 1800 is where you can play for free, assuming your smart with selling cards and pick $ cards over playables a good chunk of the time.

And this is why I hate associating a person's rating with their actual skill level as a player (and I believe it is also why WotC decided to make Magic Online Ratings private).

Simply put, one's rating will naturally fluctuate over time, depending on the difficulty of a given set's draftability, or constructed playability or whatever mitigating factors may be applied based on the set itself. Not to mention the fact that people sometimes experience ruts in their play skill. Not even Luis Scott Vargas can win all the time, and I think we all would agree that he is one of the best players in the game.
    "As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero." -- Varsuvius, Order of the Stick
    I think the limited ratings probably don't vary more than +- 30 points unless the person goes on a long winning or losing streak.
    Facts of Magic

-Terror is an emotion which, when experienced, results in death.
    -The pox was a disease notorious for having killed one-third, rounded up, of Europe’s population. Smallpox, on the other hand, killed only a single person.
    -A person riding a horse cannot be stopped by foot soldiers, large animals, walls, archers, or even catapults.

Other Facts of Magic
    Funniest Magic cards ever
    you start at 1600. so a person with a 1600 rating is either average or new.
    EDH Commander
    WUBSharuum the HegemonBUW
    UGRRiku of the Two ReflectionsRGU

Clan Limited
    Quote from benbuzz790
    I think the limited ratings probably don't vary more than +- 30 points unless the person goes on a long winning or losing streak.

A change in the skill level or consistancy of the player could indicate they have plateaued in a different spot. When I was drafting TSP in the old client 4-3-2-2 ques and loosing first round a lot my ratings hovered around 1550. I've played a lot more drafts now and I'm better at it. My ratings generally +/- around 1680.

I would say that's a pretty fair assessment of my skill based on my recent w/l wouldnt you?
    Your Sig is Now Free to Move about the Forum.

My thoughts on: Going Infinite | Block Constructed | MTGCatalyst Blog Home
    Quote from DalkonCledwin
    And this is why I hate associating a person's rating with their actual skill level as a player (and I believe it is also why WotC decided to make Magic Online Ratings private).

Simply put, one's rating will naturally fluctuate over time, depending on the difficulty of a given set's draftability, or constructed playability or whatever mitigating factors may be applied based on the set itself. Not to mention the fact that people sometimes experience ruts in their play skill. Not even Luis Scott Vargas can win all the time, and I think we all would agree that he is one of the best players in the game.

So what do you think LSV rating is? Of course it will fluctuate over time, does that even need to be said? Of course there will be good and bad steaks, does that need to be said too?
    Quote from benbuzz790

I tracked my rating for a while and I saw that it fluctuated pretty much, depending on the set. See the graph.

(ZZZ = triple Zen, ACR = Alara block, ABL = Alara block boosters, ROE=Rise of the Eldrazi, UUU = triple Urza's Saga)

Edit: I am always playing Swiss drafts
    ATTACHMENTS
    • Capture
    Doesn't Goyf satisfy you any longer?
    Do you want more value for your 1G?
    Get your Bosk Bannerets today!

Modern Shamanism Primer
    Also many people use MTGO for testing purposes and do o in sanctioned tournaments like two mans and 8 mans . If ratings actually mattered for something you would see people going to tournament practice rooms and other places for testing purposes.
    Tournament report for Bolivian nationals
    http://quazen.com/games/card-games/how-i-followed-my-guts-and-got-an-invite-to-worlds-bolivian-nationals-report-2nd/

also featured at the Starkinton Post
    http://www.thestarkingtonpost.com/articles/-/Bolivia_Nationals_2nd

Originally Posted by RustedKnight
    Didn't this Ruel guy win a GP or something a few years ago?
    The only thing yo get from your MTGO rating is byes at MOCS but you need atleast a 1900 to get them i believe.
    Where can you view your rating? I've been trying to find it but haven't been successful.
    Winner of the SCG Invitational, Somerset, NJ, July 26-28, 2013
    Top 8 of SCG Invitational, Las Vegas, NV, Dec 13-15, 2013
    Winner of SCG Worcester Team Sealed Open with Gerard Fabiano and Curtis Sheu, September 28, 2013

twitter
    Quote from Bizkit Overlord
    Where can you view your rating? I've been trying to find it but haven't been successful.

Right click on your own name in the "buddies window" and select "Information"
    Last edited by ScottieDrama: 2/13/2011 3:39:14 PM
    By the way, does anyone know how MTGO ratings are correlated to real life DCI ratings? Is it more difficult to have a high rating at MTGO than in real life?
    Doesn't Goyf satisfy you any longer?
    Do you want more value for your 1G?
    Get your Bosk Bannerets today!

Modern Shamanism Primer
    Quote from pizzap
    By the way, does anyone know how MTGO ratings are correlated to real life DCI ratings? Is it more difficult to have a high rating at MTGO than in real life?

They are not connected - but they are calculated the same.

So the more you play the more your rating reflects your true skill level. Just because you got lucky and got a broken sealed deck and did well in a GP can boost your rating literally hundreds of points.

Overtime losing and winning streak will even out though. And since most people play more sanctioned matches on MTGO over a short period of time, MTGO might give you a more correct image of your skill level.

but in short, no the ratings are exactly the same.

p.s: i guess if you factor in the many "1600-noobs" that give away rating drop to 1500 and stay there probably never gets on MTGO, so a "new" 1600'er on MTGO is probably a better player than a new 1600 paper player going to his first prerelease since very few people start out with the online version.
    DCI level 3 Judge
    Quote from benbuzz790

This isn't true, especially as your rating gets higher. I play limited regularly, and my rating fluctuates +/- 50 points regularly.
    MTGO/Twitter: KeysMyaths

Blog (Paper Magic and MTGO thoughts and experiences): KeysMyaths.com
    Quote from Boxxer81
    The only thing yo get from your MTGO rating is byes at MOCS but you need atleast a 1900 to get them i believe.

MOCS byes are determined by how many QPs you have in a month, not your rating.

Rating is completely worthless online.
    MTGO/Twitter: KeysMyaths

Blog (Paper Magic and MTGO thoughts and experiences): KeysMyaths.com
    Thanks a lot guys, certainly clears things up for me.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes