[Deck] AIR - All In Red (aka Dragon Stompy)

I enjoyed reading the opening post seemed to be detailed but once it has a complete matchup analysis it should be a pretty helpful primer.

I definitely think this deck should be moved to proven competitive. Dragon stompy has proven itself to be a pretty solid contender in Legacy for awhile now. Dragon stompy is one of those decks that can do really well in the swiss rounds but after a certain period of time in a tournament it's ability to be consistent and resilient in later rounds tends to not be there for Dragon Stompy. So it loses in the top 4 of a big tournament such as the Chicago GP.
    2012: Top 64 at SCG Standard Portland Open with UW Miracle Control.
    2013: Top 32 at SCG Standard Tacoma Open with Esper Control.
    2014: Top 32 at SCG Legacy Tacoma Open with UWR Delver.
    I think the OP meant Pyroblast not Hydroblast in the SB card discussion next to Red Elemental Blast.

Quote from Complete_Jank
    Exile requires the creature to attack, Painter's Servant doesn't usually attack, and that is just one of many reasons why STP is better.

No it does not, I think you're thinking about condemn
    Last edited by strangeuniverse: 3/17/2009 1:16:59 PM
    rip CBC
    Quote from strangeuniverse

I think your thinking about Path to Exile which isn't the same card as Exile. I think Complete Jank was referring to "Exile" instead of "Path to Exile" as well.
    2012: Top 64 at SCG Standard Portland Open with UW Miracle Control.
    2013: Top 32 at SCG Standard Tacoma Open with Esper Control.
    2014: Top 32 at SCG Legacy Tacoma Open with UWR Delver.
    Quote from strangeuniverse

He was talking about the card Exile. RCFTW.

Quote from Cecilia
    I think your thinking about Path to Exile which isn't the same card as Exile. I think Complete Jank was referring to "Exile" instead of "Path to Exile" as well.

Thanks Cecilia, the discussion was on Exile, not Path to Exile.
    In Vintage (Type 1) > Budget Deck Discussion forum:

Nothing says budget help like receiving $5000 in recommendations.

I guess leaving out Time Walk, Timetwister, and Ancestral Recall is budget.
    Moderator Action: Thread moved to Proven Competitive.

I think this one was going to be moved as soon as a decent primer was written, so here it is.
    Chalice of the Void
    Powering this out on first turn with one counter usually gives you Time Walk. Playing one at two ain’t that bad either as this deck usually skips the cc2, except maybe for some copies of Jittes.
    Playing one at zero counters is good too, if you suspect opponent playing EE (make sure you have enough mana on table or you will regret losing your Moxes later).
    Against decks that pack EE you want Chalice at 1 and sometimes also chalice at 2 over a chalice at 0 (goyf, bob, counterbalance, ...). Trinisphere also shuts down them playing EE for 0 counters (unless they have three lands that can produce 1). Notice that if they play an EE with X=1 or X=2 paying only coloress mana (using wasteland, mishra's factory and such) they get it with 0 counters anyway.
    You usually only play chalice for 0 vs decks that play Lion's Eye Diamond. And even against those (ANT and dredge) I would prefer chalice at 1 and also a chalice at 2 vs ANT to chalice at 0. (Or even better: a trinisphere).
    Well Well, we've finally got the thread moved in the competitive section, after very many requests I see. This deck is of course proven and deserved this place. Next thread that needs a better spot is fae or non-merfolk fish.

By the way, how many of you play Taurean Mauler or what personal additions do you add to dragon stompy?

Greetings,
    Frozen_Fire Smile

A Big Thanks to Zaphod from High~Light Studios for this Signature Banner.
    Quote from Frozen_Fire
    By the way, how many of you play Taurean Mauler or what personal additions do you add to dragon stompy?

I've been testing it with some success. I like it.
    I like playing with Mauler because (for the most part) it allows me to play magic badly.

Before I attack with the Mauler, I will tap out and cast a spell. OK? The one big downside is that it does not work that well under Standstill.
    Mauler is very good vs slivers and merfolk. It will also retain the bonus from its counters if Humility is in play.
    mispost
    Last edited by shinyflavors7: 4/12/2009 12:47:48 AM
    Has any one thought about using Kumano, Master Yamabushi in place of an arc-slogger also could be a side board option against recursion?

another thing is chalice for three with trinisphere in play a soft lock for most decks?
    Last edited by shinyflavors7: 3/29/2009 7:56:04 PM
    Slogger takes 4 mana to do 8 damage. Kumano takes 8 mana to do 4. Kumano is Legendary where Slogger is not, and Kumano is a 4/4 and Slogger is a 4/5.

I don't really see an upside in Kumano.

Trinisphere doesn't modify the converted mana cost of spells - it just requires you to pay more to play them. Trinisphere + chalice at 3 means all the 1 and 2 drops keep on working. Most matchups you'd be better setting at 1 or 2 (or 0 against combo)
    Thanks I didn't think it worked but I hoped. Slant

The up side to Kumano is recursion denial. I was thinking it stops annoying man land and recurring goyfs.
    Last edited by shinyflavors7: 4/12/2009 12:48:39 AM
    It'd still take 4-6 mana to kill most man lands, and while I can see the upside of RFGing them against loam/43land/stax, the downside is that it is strictly a worse card the rest of the time.

With that four mana, I'd rather swing and deal 8 to the dome.
    Point taken.
    The creature actually has to be damaged by Kumano to be RFGed.

So if they just sac their creature or it dies to something else other than Kumano, it will still go to the graveyard.

Just play with Arc-Slogger. Yeah you have to mortgage your library but so what? You're playing DS, and you want to win quickly. Arc-Slogger gives you the oomph you need to push through the last amount of damage.
    I hate to be a pest but I feel obligated to ask the same question twice. Is anyone else have problems with opposing creators or I am in an underdeveloped meta that runs a lot goblins(just popular) and burn(cheap to build) and a lot of basics make moons bad?(I'm sorry that I killed this sentence. I will change went I've had more sleep) The answer is yes of course but is anyone else in the same boat.

So in a red heavy, blue light meta with goyfs what is the best burn/removal and/or do I need it?
    Last edited by shinyflavors7: 4/12/2009 12:46:32 AM
    Burn shouldn't be that tough with Chalices and Trinispheres, which should buy you enough time to get your big guns into play.

For a meta like that though, you might want to switch decks. Dragon Stompy was created to prey on developed, blue-overflowing, duals-galore metagames. Against decks such as those, the deck's power really drops big time.
    The deck still works pretty well but I am having some problems. If I only draw two cards for hindering most of the time one of those cards is a moon and moons are only helpful against "good decks". Chalices is good but I don't usually draw it when I need it.(Maybe I should shuffle better?)
    Yeah in an underdeveloped meta you should be playing combo because it will wreck most the decks there if there aren't any FoWs or graveyard hate.

Arc Slogger is just plain better if kumano's ability was R: Deal 1 damage MAYBE but as is the card is not that good
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

-Freyalise

Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    I've found in My limited experience with playing the deck in an un developed Meta that this deck relies totally on Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere and Umezawa's Jitte to get stuff done. In a meta like that You don't really want a full 8 Blood Moon effects, 6 is usually more than enough.
    Pauper EDH

:symu::symg: Zameck Guildmage:symg::symu:
    :symb::symw: Necrotic Sliver:symw::symb:
    Ya I run 4x magus 2x Moon which I think is right. I don't run Jitte in the main which I should retest.(Got the idea from the mink deck and it is not needed in well developed metas but I didn't really test for my meta.)
    I guess I could post my own build here:
    JunioRcmf's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Land - 19
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    11 Mountain

Artifact - 11
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere

Creature - 24
    4 Magus of the Moon
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Taurean Mauler
    4 Rakdos Pit Dragon
    4 Arc-Slogger
    4 Gathan Raiders

Enchantment - 2
    2 Blood Moon

Instant - 4
    4 Seething Song

I'm considering dropping one Trinisphere (and maybe add it to sideboard instead of one Chewer) and adding one of Umezawa's Jitte to main but not quite sure. Sometimes 3Sphere is absolute bomb and sometimes it just fizzles as opponent resolves Vial or Lackey.
    Otherwise I personally like pretty much this kind of pretty standard build. Sulfur Elemental is great guy and I might want to get him in somehow.. maybe instead of Pyroclasms to sideboard if UW LandStill starts getting more popular here.

Any ideas how to deal with Chill? Red decks are popular in my tournament meta and 98,72% of blue mages pack 2-4 Chills to their sideboards as red doesn't have any really good way to deal with it..
    I really wish there would be some good solution to it that fits this deck but I can't think of any (as REB and Pyroblast both don't work well with Chalices..).
    Currently playing:
    X mana Mono Brown Stax (Legacy)
    B Pox (Legacy)
    B Smallpox (Modern)
    BG Ramp (Standard)
    RW Wildfire Stax (German Highlander)

Currently building:
    W 'Geddon Stax (Legacy)
    WBR Wildfire Stax (German Highlander)
    UBG Veilborn Chimes (Standard)
    Maybe try powder keg? In mono colored decks that works as decent removal but I don't really see chill as that great against dragon stomy since city of traitors and ancient tomb are run. Unless they have more than one hit that table which would prbably hurt a lot.
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

-Freyalise

Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes