Mighty Quinn

Quote from Xanth
    I'd say that Luminarch Ascension is slightly better than Sacred Mesa in a deck that runs Stuffy Doll.

Ascension is good with Stuffy Doll, but you can't say it is better than Mesa just like you can't say Wrath is better than Swords.
    Mesa fulfills an important role that Ascension can never fulfill, which is to win a game that you are losing.
    Ascension is particularly impressive against control, but otherwise is only good if the game is going in your favor.
    I would play both, but if I had only one slot, I would always play Mesa over Ascension.

Quote from Xanth
    Morningstar81, how much of a boost would you say the unbanning of Land Tax would give TMQ?

As (nameless one) said, with Land Tax, the deck would stop existing as we know it and return to the form that inspired it, Parfait.
    Top would give way to Scroll Rack, the snow engine would be gone, and Solitary Confinement would probably be adopted as the key defensive enchantment.

Quote from King Canute
    Has anyone had any luck with Kor haven? On paper it looks like it could buy time to get a lock/outright win/removal.

To play Kor Haven you either make the snow engine less effective or have to increase the land count, in which case Haven is taking the place of a defensive spell, and since you can't tutor for it, you're better off running Runed Halo which achieves the same end result and much more without requiring a constant mana investment.

Quote from (nameless one)
    Speaking of archetypes, I've been told that this deck is Rabid Wombat. What is that exactly and what are the differences?

Rabid Wombat is a Green-White control deck, with some similarities to Quinn (Enlightened Tutor toolbox, Scepter-Chant), but also important differences (green, no snow engine, no combo finish). They are not the same archetype.

Quinn was indeed erroneously listed in the Rabid Wombat section in deckcheck (decks named Wurzelbert are Rabid Wombat, most of the others are Mighty Quinn), but recent decklists have been more accurately listed as Mono-White Control.
    Legacy spellslinger & L1 judge
    Alright, I was looking through the store's discount bin when I encountered Force Bubble

I was thinking of Luminarch Ascension when I saw that. Workable or leave it in the discount bin?

Thanks for spiderboy4 of High~Light_Studios for the kick ass avatar.
    Thanks for DarkNightCavalier of HotPS for the exceptional signature.

I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    I think soul echo might be a better card as it helps vs tendrils as well.Most decks where you would desperatly need to prevent damage can probably do 4+ in a turn anyway. I think the closest thing in the deck is runed halo and I think I prefer that.
    question:

Is there a branch of this deck that concentrates on Luminarch Ascension or is that going the fog way?

I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    question:

Is there a branch of this deck that concentrates on Luminarch Ascension or is that going the fog way?

With Orim's Chant, Rune Halo, Moat, Swords, Rings and Moat, you have more than enough Ascension enablers in the deck as it is. You don't need to concentrate specifically on it, and doing so would probably be a bad idea due to the ubiquity of Krosan Grip. The deck is better off not focusing too much on a specific win condition.
    Actually I agree with branched out win conditions.

I've already discussed that I cannot afford Moat. A lot of you suggested to for me to run Humility and if paired with Thunderstaff, it is essentially a 2-card Moat. However, I face another dilemma as Humility shuts down my other win conditions (Luminarch Ascension and Guilty Doll Combo).

Then someone suggested for me to run Solitary Confinement for an indefinite lock. At first, I did not get the indefinite part but it was mentioned that if I keep recurring Eternal Dragon, I can discard a card for Solitary Confinement anymore. It sounded appealing but would it be worth the 5 mana to have a 90% lock on the game?

Solitary Confinement also partially enables Luminarch Ascension.

I was also told that instead of running Runed Halos, run Ghostly Prison on that slot. I actually like Runed Halo as it ruins decks that have a single win condition such as Tarmogoyf.

As much as I love the original Quinn list, I do not have $200 to shell out for a Moat and Grindstones. I can use all the budget advice available here. After all, that is the point of having a thread discussion right?

I've already discussed that I cannot afford Moat. A lot of you suggested to for me to run Humility and if paired with Thunderstaff, it is essentially a 2-card Moat. However, I face another dilemma as Humility shuts down my other win conditions (Luminarch Ascension and Guilty Doll Combo).

If you go the Humility route, then Elspeth and Decree of Justice become your best win conditions.

Then someone suggested for me to run Solitary Confinement for an indefinite lock. At first, I did not get the indefinite part but it was mentioned that if I keep recurring Eternal Dragon, I can discard a card for Solitary Confinement anymore. It sounded appealing but would it be worth the 5 mana to have a 90% lock on the game?

Solitary Confinement is horrible in this deck.
    Although you can keep it indefinitely with Dragon, you CAN'T draw another non-land card for the rest of the game.
    This means your opponent will just build his/her resources until he is sure of winning on the spot, then break/bounce your Confinement and combo off/attack for the win.

If you really want to use Solitary Confinement, then you can consider a WG list (Rabid Wombat) with Life from the Loam and cycling lands. However, if you don't have WG duals and fetches already, this probably doesn't fit your budget.

I was also told that instead of running Runed Halos, run Ghostly Prison on that slot. I actually like Runed Halo as it ruins decks that have a single win condition such as Tarmogoyf.

I would never drop Runed Halo from the deck, because it is also very good against combo.
    You can, however, fit 3-4 Ghostly Prison by cutting 1 Halo, 1 Humility/Moat/Story Circle and 1 Argivian Find.
    I'm not sure it is worth it maindeck, though, as Prison is only that good against tribal decks (Merfolk and Goblins), against which you already have a good matchup, even without Moat.

It looks worse in several ways to me. If this list made it to 3rd, that tells us that either the meta was not that competitive, or the pilot got lucky, or TMQ is indeed a Tier 1 archetype :p

The four CotV in the sideboard is especially confusing.
    Here was the Top 8 from that Tourney:

Mox-Moat @ Face to face
    Montreal, Qc, Canada

6 Rounds swiss + TOP 8
    34 players

1-2. Mono Green Chalice Aggro, Alexandre Le Goff
    1-2. Pro BANT, Justin Richardson
    3. Mighty Quinn, Robert Anderson
    4. UBER Faeries, Sébastien Alarie
    5. Mono Green Chalice Aggro, Ugo Rivard
    6. Cret Belcher, Joey Smith
    7. Burn Sligh, Mathieu Roberge
    8. Merfolk, Alan Ngo

Thats all I know from that.

if i have 3 x moat i can play they 3 all in this deck?? i dont know what to do with 3 moat!! T_T

Do you want to play rock paper scissors or "who draws the most Tarmogoyfs, wins"?
    Quote from Nil
    if i have 3 x moat i can play they 3 all in this deck?? i dont know what to do with 3 moat!! T_T

Can you save one for me? Smile I am going to try and buy one pretty soon when I get paid again.

I wouldn't play all three because you never know when you actually will need it. 2x maximum I would venture to say, but you only ever need 1 out in play.
    Moat is redundant, and this deck is a toolbox. I would run 2 at most, absolutely positively I would never run 3.

Such an odd list...3 eternal dragon? I thought we ran 2 at most. Although maybe this guy really needed those 7 costed beaters so he could block some piledrivers lol.

Solitary is bad unless you run the life from the loam + cycle lands engine. Unless you just want to go pure enchantress which seems bad.

Runed Halo is such a good card in this deck; only in an aggro infested meta would I have 3-4 prison's MD.
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

-Freyalise

Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    I noticed that Celestial Purge is in the sideboard in the decklist above. Its a interesting choice, even with the scepter. But what would you use it against? Goblins, Black Aggro and maybe Dragon Stompy is all I can think of on top of my head.
    Last edited by Dhaos Dragmire: 11/24/2009 5:16:35 PM
    Current EDH Decks:
    R Fumiko the Lowblood
    U Blind Seer
    if you can't run moat, why not just run Magus of the Moat?

Same thing, same cost, only is vulnerable to creature removal... but its $150 vs 50 cents...
    Quote from luckme10
    if you can't run moat, why not just run Magus of the Moat?

Same thing, same cost, only is vulnerable to creature removal... but its $150 vs 50 cents...

You answered yourself.
    Creature removal is ubiquitous in Legacy, and you have very few targets for your opponent to spend their removal on.
    If you drop a Magus of the Moat, then chances are he'll have a removal spell ready in hand to deal with it and will promptly proceed to beat your face.

There is a considerable number of Legacy decks that can't deal with Moat maindeck but only a few that can't deal with Magus.

You're better off playing Humility or Ghostly Prison than Magus.
    My ghetto Quinn list actually runs 1x Ghostly Prison and 1x Story Circle. Ghostly Prison is there if you want to hold off aggro early game and Story Circle is there late game.

Although Humility is better than both. Pair it up with Thunderstaff and you should be good.

Any recent updates made to any lists?

Here is the ghetto version I've been running since I don't quite have all the cards (a lot are on order at gatheringground.com, and they are horrible at replies and speed apparently, as both seem non-existent at the moment).

noisome's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    4x Silence
    4x Ghostly Prison
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    4x Mana Tithe
    4x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Story Circle
    2x Isochron Scepter
    2x Suppression Field
    2x Lumin Ascension
    2x Sacred Mesa
    2x Decree of Justice
    4x Oblivion Ring
    4x Abolish

20x Plains

This is mainly for my benefit to watch the progression. This isn't too bad, but its nowhere near as robust as TMQ decklists here.
    One thing that keeps TMQ going is its draw engine.....

you should consider that

also, a combo alternative finish helps the deck win faster. The well known one is the Stoned Painter combo. Since you're going the budget way, you can run the Guilty Doll combo.

@noisome: Suppression Field is highly counterproductive in this deck.
    It negates your Story Circles and Isochron Scepters, and makes Mesa, Ascension and Decree much worse.
    Quote from Morningstar81
    @noisome: Suppression Field is highly counterproductive in this deck.
    It negates your Story Circles and Isochron Scepters, and makes Mesa, Ascension and Decree much worse.

Very true, but I was thinking more for protection vs Elves and Merfolk which are present in my meta. I will probably switch it for

Well, I'm gathering all the cards to make your deck, Morning as I've played it and like it a lot. This is just the deck as it stands until I can get it all. I'm even closer now. I just need my Snow-Covered Plains, a Moat and the Orim's Chant and I'm set. Moat is the only card that I can't find other than on ebay.
    Quote from noisome
    Very true, but I was thinking more for protection vs Elves and Merfolk which are present in my meta.

Suppression Field is nearly useless against Elves, since it doesn't affect mana abilities. And against Merfolk it does very little - it disturbs Mutavault and Vial but not significantly.

If you want to beat either deck, play Wrath of God.

Quote from noisome
    Well, I'm gathering all the cards to make your deck, Morning as I've played it and like it a lot. This is just the deck as it stands until I can get it all. I'm even closer now. I just need my Snow-Covered Plains, a Moat and the Orim's Chant and I'm set. Moat is the only card that I can't find other than on ebay.

Yes, Moat can be a bit difficult to find, and is quite expensive.
    While you don't have it, you can replace it with an additional copy of Wrath of God.
    Quote from Morningstar81

Yes, Moat can be a bit difficult to find, and is quite expensive.
    While you don't have it, you can replace it with an additional copy of Wrath of God.

Good point about the elves. I will change my deck some and try an extra Wrath.

Thanks!
    Anyone knows how the matchup goes with elves?
    This should help people out who are addressing me in further posts: My name is Tenkai. It's not Tokobo. Thank you. =)

Legacy Competitive
    BUReanimatorUB
    RUSneaky ShowUR(Dismantled)
    GBUReanimatorUBG(Retired)
    (Pre-Mystical Tutor Banning)
    {RIP:July 1, 2010}

Legacy Casual
    UWBag Of TricksWU
    GWEnchantressWG(Budget/In construction)
    WSoul SistersW

Legacy Casual - Retired

Sig by Me =)
    You need to resolve humility. Or WoG. Or some sweeper effect. And eventually establish board control via 1/1 pegasi tokens or a lock with scepter chant or StP on a scepter is really good too. The matchup is probably even
    "Yawgmoth," Freyalise whispered as she set the bomb, "now you will pay for your treachery."

-Freyalise

Currently Playing:
    Legacy:
    UBWRGAll manner of storm comboGRWBU
    Dark Ritual on The Source and Storm Boards
    Notable finishes:
    Top 16 SCG Kansas City Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
    Top 32 SCG Minneapolis Legacy Open 2012 with Burning ANT
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes