Junk

Hi there,

For a while now, I have been brewing some kind of Junk list, taking advantage of both the GSZ and the Loam-Engine. On a tournament a month ago, I've had moderate success with the deck. Since then, I have changed a lot, so I'm confident now that this deck is very strong and I'm going to pilot it again tomorrow. However, there are still 4 slots I'd like to discuss with you because I don't really know how to fill them best. Here's the deck:

Kryptikus's DeckMagic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    Creatures
    4 Knight of the Reliquary
    2 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Terravore
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    1 Silvan Safekeeper
    1 Kitchen Finks

Spells
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    3 Life from the Loam
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Vindicate

4 Mox Diamond

Lands
    2 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Windswept Heath
    2 Marsh Flats
    2 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    1 Scrublands
    1 Secluded Steppe
    1 Barren Moor
    1 Tranquil Thicket
    1 Plains
    1 Forest
    1 Swamp
    3 Wasteland
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Cabal Pit
    1 Nomad Stadium
    1 Bojuka Bog
    1 Karakas
    1 Maze of Ith

Other
    4 ???

The deck plays very controlish and tries to handle every threat we face with the big removal package, until eventually a big Knight or Terravore seals the
    deal. In control/aggro control matchups, the Safekeeper plays a crucial role, as he is kind of an Uber-Mother as soon as the Loam Engine is set up. In very aggressive matchups it's more important to land the fatties very fast in order to get a clock yourself. Combo is a big problem of this deck as it is maindeck only equipped with one Gaddock. Last time, I was able to win against every deck except of Doomsday and Reanimator which hammered me really hard. This is strongly reflected by the choice of my sideboard:

Sanctity: Against everything that storms or burns. Has proven itself not that well however, as combo decks can easily bounce it
    Void: Obvious - comes in against, Dredge, Reanimator, Loam
    MM: Again vs Combo and really fast aggro.
    Wrath: I'm having a hard time against NO RUG, as I have no way to handle Progenitus. Wrath is an attempt to be better here and comes in as well against creature heavy decks such has Merfolk, Goblins or Elves.
    Jitte: creature heavy decks

Now for my question: As you see, there's one free slot which was filled by 4 Inquiition of Kozilek before. The problem is that I often faced the situation that I liked to discard a Planeswalker and couldn't. Also, Natural Order can't be handled this way. For this reason, I'm looking for a better alternative like for example
    - 4 Duress
    - 4 Misstep main, 4 Duress SB
    - Micro-Stoneforge package: 2 SFM + 1 Jitte + 1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    - 4 Thoughtseize (this possibility is hypothetical as I don't have them atm and won't be able to get them till tomorrow)

How would you decide?

Thanks in advance for all your hints; greetings
    Kryptikus
    First off : Is the loam engine so strong that it justifies removal of some of standard Junk's most powerful cards?
    Those being:

If removal of those is actually working better for you, then the next questions is: Why are you playing black at all? You've taken out most of the powerful black cards, leaving only Vindicate and some utility lands. At that point why not swap vindicate for something else, shift a little farther towards Maverick, and straighten out your manabase some by cutting the third color. You can still keep the utility lands if you like.

If you're going to keep Black, I would definitely run Hymn to Tourach first, it's a must-counter that blows out games, especially with Mox Diamonds. Complementing that I'd want thoughtsieze, which while more expensive than IoK, as you were mentioning, hits anything we need it to, especially against combo decks where it shines the most.

I really like the idea of this deck, it's like mixing some of the favorite parts of Maverick, Junk, and Trisomy together. Unfortunately, it's missing Maverick's stoneforge package and likely some consistency, it's missing Junk's aggressive discard and card advantage packages, and it's missing Trisomy's graveyard engine and mass removal suite.

Sometimes, I just want to make a 100 card BGW deck that can fit it all together in one pile of awesomeness, but to get it down to 60 we have to decide which pieces are most important for the way we want to run the deck and which are most useful against our opponents.
    Take a look at those three decks, and decide if you've cut the right pieces to tune the deck in the direction you want to take it. Finally, definitely let us know how it's playing out against other competitive decks.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes