The Humongous Fungus (Ghave Abuse)

Well if you go pure combo, there really are so many possible combos spread through so many card types, that the odds of not being able to combo are very small. But then again, I have won by beating down with Ghave before.

As to the prime, you would have to ask Viper, but I would have thought that he would have written it up by now.

BGW[Primer]Ghave, Guru of SporesBGW | UUUBarrin, Master WizardUUU | UWBSharuum the HegemonUWB
    UWRasputin DreamweaverUW
    UWBSen TripletsUWB
    Unfortunately, the primer will be done when it's done. Life is busy, and I'm finding it hard to justify even more time spent on MTGS. Frown
    My sig broke.
    Quote from u-579
    Well if you go pure combo, there really are so many possible combos spread through so many card types, that the odds of not being able to combo are very small. But then again, I have won by beating down with Ghave before.

True. The deck has won a couple times from simple beatdown. But that's only once in a while under unusual cirsumstances. The primary focus should be combo. OR aggro OR goodstuff. Nothing in between or you end up with a horrible incoherent mess. Pick a path and stick with it.

BTW, I recently replaced Hornet Queen with Yavimaya Elder. He's more useful in general, and combos better with Reveillark (he and\or Solemn Simulacrum can draw until you find Triskelion or Bitter Ordeal for an instant win). The 'Lark combo has become quite vicious if I do say so myself. o.0
    Okay, I'm totally ripping this from my friend's deck, but have you considered Overgrowth or Dawn's Reflection to go infinite with Earthcraft? It also has the benefit of being able to be set up entirely from the graveyard when casting Replenish (minus the general of course).
    EDH FTW

Currently running:
    BRG Kresh, the Bloodbraided BRG
    UR Melek, Izzet Paragon UR
    WUG Jenara, Asura of War WUG
    WRG Mayael the Anima WRG
    WB Triad of Fates WB
    URG Riku of Two Reflections URG
    BR Rakdos, Lord of Riots BR
    WR Aurelia the Warleader WR
    WBG Ghave, Guru of Spores WBG
    WUBRG Horde of Notions WUBRG
    maybe a little out of point, but is there any room for necropotence?
    Necro should be in every build imo.
    Overgrowth and Dawn's Reflection seem pretty weak to me.

Necropotence I dont like BBB maybe in mono black, but not in a 3 color deck. I run Phyrexian Arena and Harmonize and 6 tutors, its enough.

Join us for EDH/Commander!
    Wednesday nights 6pm-10pm @ Green Dragon and Friday nights 7pm - 1am @ Realms Fantasy Games

...or check us out on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/CharlestonEdhCommander

GAzusaG - (G/U)Derevi(W/U) - (B/G)Glissa(B/G) - (U/B)Sharuum(W/U) - (G/W)Sigarda(G/W) - (R/G)Wanderer(G/U) - (R/G)Wort(R/G)
    I've thought about Necro before and I'm not sure I want to try it out or not. BBB isn't hard to get, and when it lands I'll *probably* draw out a combo or two, but my big concern is it seems like it would backfire more than it helps (because of the EoT delay, paying lots of life and NOT hitting combo). It LOOKS like an auto-include, but I'm not convinced. The deck functions so well already anyway it may just be extra baggage. Ghave is a superstar.

Maybe I'll try it with my friends and report back after seeing what it does or doesn't do. Smile
    I think Necrologia is a better way to do it, and it doesn't stick around nullifying your draw phase after you fail to get the cards you needed when you bled yourself dry with Necropotence.

I have thought of using Necrologia, but my problem now is, deck runs fine, there is no room for anything else, and I am not willing to pinch any of my 38 land to add something. Its kinda funny, any time I say "x" card is not performing one day, the next time I play, it saves my ass, so its hard to pick something to remove at this point.

Wednesday nights 6pm-10pm @ Green Dragon and Friday nights 7pm - 1am @ Realms Fantasy Games

GAzusaG - (G/U)Derevi(W/U) - (B/G)Glissa(B/G) - (U/B)Sharuum(W/U) - (G/W)Sigarda(G/W) - (R/G)Wanderer(G/U) - (R/G)Wort(R/G)
    I know what you mean, with this deck you either have to suck it up and change something or you get stuck in this mode, I know I do. Though while there is a fairly consistent core, the rest seems to be personal choice and as long as you don't make bad choices it seems to work fine almost regardless of what you put in there.

BGW[Primer]Ghave, Guru of SporesBGW | UUUBarrin, Master WizardUUU | UWBSharuum the HegemonUWB
    UWRasputin DreamweaverUW
    UWBSen TripletsUWB
    I am interested in seeing Shunma's list, when you gonna post it?

My list is just the basic combo pieces all of us use, add Corpse Dance and Nim Deathmantle, half the tutors, and twice the removal, as you guys are running. In my meta I need the extra removal, all kinds of weird stuff happens in my meta.

Quote from trancer99

My list is just the basic combo pieces all of us use, add Corpse Dance and Nim Deathmantle, half the tutors, and twice the removal, as you guys are running. In my meta I need the extra removal, all kinds of weird stuff happens in my meta.

I know he posted it in the pimp thread if you want to see it there.

UWRasputin DreamweaverUW
    UWBSen TripletsUWB
    Quote from trancer99

I posted it in this thread a few pages back I think. But here is the post in the "pimp thread" so you can see it firsthand. I actually just got my first foil Marsh Flats in the mail today. Wink

But that's pretty much how the deck will be staying for a while. I'm happy with it as is: it's a beast. Until ISD gets more previews at any rate. I'm especially curious to see the FIVE ABILITY Liliana and what she might bring to the deck. o.0
    Just spoiled:

Mentor of the Meek 2W

Creature - Human Soldier (R)

Whenever another creature with power 2 or less enters the battlefield under your control, you may pay 1. If you do, draw a card.
    2/2

I think this could be a really useful drawing engine for us.

EDH
    :symu:Sun Quan, Lord of Wu:symu:
    :symbg::symwb::symwg:Ghave, Guru of Spores:symwg::symwb::symbg:
    :symur::symwr::symwu:Zedruu The Greathearted:symwu::symwr::symur:
    Casual
    :symbw:Token Punisher:symbw:
    :symb:Enter Karn's Dungeon:symb:
    :symbw:Cleric Cult:symbw:
    Very excited for Mentor, hes going to make my already sick Ghave deck into a unstoppable token monster. Grin Grin Grin
    I'm honestly not sure he is that beneficial since some of the combos cause the tokens to be more than 2/2's but its something to look at at least. Well the draw would be awesome but he really only works when you are already going off, unless you just cycle a token or two off of Ghave to net a few cards at a time, but I guess there are worse things in the world. So I guess the only question is what is it worth taking out for it?

UWRasputin DreamweaverUW
    UWBSen TripletsUWB
    I'm not sure exactly how good he is, but let's look at the breakdown for the other powerful draw engines that work in basically the same way: Skullclamp, Fecundity and Foster (if I missed one, please laugh let me know):

Skullclamp

Pros
    • Cheap to cast
    • Much cheaper to use when digging (2 mana and a counter gives you two cards, as opposed to 2 or 3 mana for one card)
    • Can equip to other creatures for random benefit when they are killed off
    Cons
    • Unsustainable - each use requires the loss of a counter/token
    • Does not function at instant speed
    • Does not work passively off comboing off (i.e. you have to feed creatures to it specifically, unless you have managed to make your tokens more than 1/1)
    FecundityPros
    • Easily tutorable
    • Works off any creatures that happen to die, not just ones you intend to
    • Infinite use with just Ghave, giving you 2: Draw a card
    • Completely free when you start comboing
    Cons
    • Symmetrical
    • Requires creatures to actually die, which not all the combos in the deck achieve
    FosterPros
    • Easily tutorable
    • Works off any creatures that happen to die, not just ones you intend to
    • Infinite use with just Ghave
    • Digs you quickly to creature combo pieces
    • Extra value if you're running graveyard recursion
    Cons
    • Expensive, not only to play, but to use
    • Inflexible
    • Requires creatures to actually die, which not all the combos in the deck achieve
    Mentor of the MeekPros
    • Easily tutorable
    • Does not require creatures to die
    • Infinite use with just Ghave
    Cons
    • Expensive to use
    • Does not give random value from (some) nontoken creatures
    • Squishy
    Fair?Side note: I'm giving Sadistic Hypnotist a try. I've been really feeling the need for a creature-based sac outlet of late.
    My sig broke.
    Side note: I'm giving Sadistic Hypnotist a try. I've been really feeling the need for a creature-based sac outlet of late.

Yeah, it looks pretty good, I am thinking on it as well.

Mentor of the Meek seems okay, but most of the cards in my deck are much better than JUST okay. I would play it ahead of Foster, but I don't play Foster either.

Last edited by trancer99: 8/30/2011 3:40:23 AM

Quote from viperesque
    Side note: I'm giving Sadistic Hypnotist a try. I've been really feeling the need for a creature-based sac outlet of late.

I'm glad he is getting tried out by others now. I find him especially useful if you run Reveillark combos since you can res him, or if you can go off, and not win right now, you can still put everyone in topdeck mode to cover you.

Quote from trancer99
    Yeah, it looks pretty good, I am thinking on it as well.

Mentor of the Meek seems okay, but most of the cards in my deck are much better than JUST okay. I would play it ahead of Foster, but I don't play Foster either.

Yeah, I think I'd rather just hold on to a Fecundity until I can abuse it, instead of this guy, but I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

UWRasputin DreamweaverUW
    UWBSen TripletsUWB
    Fecundity is as good as a 2nd Bitter Ordeal, because you can use it to draw into Bitter Ordeal.

Quote from trancer99
    Fecundity is as good as a 2nd Bitter Ordeal, because you can use it to draw into Bitter Ordeal.

Or really whatever win con you hit first. On that thought, what do you think about including some free mana rocks like mox diamond or what have you?

UWRasputin DreamweaverUW
    UWBSen TripletsUWB
    Or really whatever win con you hit first. On that thought, what do you think about including some free mana rocks like mox diamond or what have you?

Its kinda funny but anytime I have tried to combo out too early with Ghave, I get shutdown, but if I play a little control and wipe the board at least once before, I get the combo off without any resistance and win. So with the tempo of my deck, I would say no to 0 rocks. Besides the only ones I have are in my Edric and Sharuum decks.

I just don't think there is a decided advantage to playing Ghave a turn sooner, if any, its a disadvantage as someone with removal in hand will go after the biggest threat, if you don't show a threat early, someone else will eat that removal.

Sorry I have not looked through all of the discussion but what are the thoughts about Stoneforge Mystic? It can get Skullclamp or Nim Deathmantle.

Is that too narrow to warrant inclusion?
    [EDH Primers] Jenara | Marton | Thrun | Lin Sivv
    [EDHNon-Primer] Obzedat | Toshiro | Derevi | Tariel
    [STANDARD]UW Midrange
    [MODERN]UWR Flash Control

My helpdesk
    We haven't really discussed it, but I have the feeling that it would be too narrow. Skullclamp is a tool to help you dig for combos and Nim Deathmantle is a single combo piece. I'd rather have something that can directly tutor for combo pieces and multiple ones at that. So I see it as too narrow because of that.

UWRasputin DreamweaverUW
    UWBSen TripletsUWB
    I run Stoneforge Mystic but it is on the cut list, if it could pull Ashnod's Altar I would probably keep it, but of the 3 equipments I run, none is a "must tutor now", so It will probably be replaced by Sadistic Hypnotist when I get one.

• To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes