Cry Me a River [Animar EDH]

Hello, fellow planeswalkers!

I fell in love with this guy as soon as the new Commander decks were spoilered. Resilient to the colors of best removal in EDH, and promising discounted fatties all around, Animar wants a deck built around him; it's not hard to find some creatures which fit him, and they'll always be good on their own too.

The plan is simple but really effective: most of the times, Animar will be the first thing you cast. Then keep playing creature after creature until you get to the point you can almost play your whole deck, attack with them, you win.
    Key-cards for this process are: Magus of the Future (or Soul of the Harvest) and Urabrask the Hidden (or Anger). Cloudstone Curio will make the deck explode, especially with morph creatures and Eldrazis.

Backup plans include becoming a stupid deck with lots of mana and casting threat after threat until your opponents have no answers, or becoming a combo deck and bouncing everything with Tidesprout Tyrant or exiling everything with Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre. The key-cards here are Cloudstone Curio/bouncer creatures and Cloud of Faeries/Peregrine Drake

Props to gelf and Jester831, I took a lot of advice from their lists and tweaked mine to the deck that, at its present state, is my most efficient one in multiplayer.

"Animar EDH"Magic OnlineOCTGN2ApprenticeBuy These Cards
    //General:
    1 Animar, Soul of Elements

//Creatures - 48:
    1 AEthersnipe
    1 Acidic Slime
    1 Artisan of Kozilek
    1 Birds of Paradise
    1 Bloom Tender
    1 Brutalizer Exarch
    1 Cloud of Faeries
    1 Deadwood Treefolk
    1 Draining Whelk
    1 Duplicant
    1 Elvish Visionary
    1 Enclave Cryptologist
    1 Eternal Witness
    1 Farhaven Elf
    1 Fauna Shaman
    1 Fierce Empath
    1 Flametongue Kavu
    1 Gilded Drake
    1 Glen Elendra Archmage
    1 Joraga Treespeaker
    1 Kozilek, Butcher of Truth
    1 Llanowar Elves
    1 Magus of the Future
    1 Man-o'-War
    1 Mulldrifter
    1 Mystic Snake
    1 Oracle of Mul Daya
    1 Phyrexian Metamorph
    1 Primeval Titan
    1 Quirion Elves
    1 Regal Force
    1 Sakura-Tribe Elder
    1 Slithermuse
    1 Solemn Simulacrum
    1 Somberwald Sage
    1 Soul of the Harvest
    1 Spellskite
    1 Steel Hellkite
    1 Terastodon
    1 Tidespout Tyrant
    1 Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre
    1 Urabrask the Hidden
    1 Venser, Shaper Savant
    1 Vesuvan Shapeshifter
    1 Willbender
    1 Wood Elves
    1 Woodfall Primus

//Spells - 12 :
    1 Beast Within
    1 Chord of Calling
    1 Counterspell
    1 Cultivate
    1 Fabricate
    1 Glamerdye
    1 Mystical Tutor
    1 Natural Order
    1 Primal Command
    1 Summoner's Pact
    1 Unified Will
    1 Worldly Tutor

//Artifacts - 4:
    1 Birthing Pod
    1 Cloudstone Curio
    1 Crystal Shard
    1 Lightning Greaves

//Lands - 36:
    5 Forest
    5 Island
    2 Mountain
    1 Alchemist's Refuge
    1 Ancient Ziggurat
    1 Breeding Pool
    1 Cascade Bluffs
    1 Command Tower
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Eye of Ugin
    1 Flooded Grove
    1 Gaea's Cradle
    1 Hinterland Harbor
    1 Homeward Path
    1 Karplusan Forest
    1 Misty Rainforest
    1 Mosswort Bridge
    1 Rootbound Crag
    1 Scalding Tarn
    1 Simic Growth Chamber
    1 Steam Vents
    1 Stomping Ground
    1 Sulfur Falls
    1 Verdant Catacombs
    1 Wooded Foothills
    1 Yavimaya Coast
    1 Zoetic Cavern

Deckstats: http://deck.tk/5h374dhy

• 1 Deadeye Navigator (with all of the etb effects I've got this could be good. Also this + mystic snake/venser/draining whelk)
    • 1 Garruk Wildspeaker (untapping a Ravnica land or Gaea's Cradle with this guy gives me a serious boost. Also, his ultimate would make even my mana dorks a threat in late game)
    • 1 Coiling Oracle (he's better than Elvish Visionary, except the mana cost. Should I sub him in or run both?)
    • 1 Sphinx of Uthuun (this deck needs drawing more than anything else. Fact or Fiction on a Sphinx? Hells yeah!)
    • 1 Masked Admirers (Visionary Elf's big brothers, reusable too!)
    • 1 Beguiler of Wills (I usually have lots of creatures, she might come in handy!)
    • 1 Kamahl, Fist of Krosa (fun "protection" from wraths)
    • 1 Nin, the Pain Artist (my beefy guys won't mind some pain. bah-roken with Vigor)
    • 1 Zealous Conscripts (yes, I will have your permanents, thank you)
    • 1 Darksteel Plate (wrath protection, tutorable with Fabricate)
    • 1 Trygon Predator (no EtB abuse, but he's reusable disenchant no matter what...)
    Ravnica Bouncelands (good interaction with Peregrine Drake and Cloud of Faeries, are they worth the risk of being destroyed?)

Wraths: left unchecked, this deck feels unstoppable. But one wrath effect usually solves the problem for your opponents. I have some protection (in the form of counters), but when that's not enought I'd like to have some form of recovery. Genesis is kinda slow, but I can't think of anything else. What other cards could I make use of?

Wraths/2: Sometimes I feel like I need some wrath effect of my own, but the alternatives are very limited. Maybe a creature like Crater Hellion or Kederekt Leviathan is enough since I can tutor it?

Mana: it's not a real problem, but after seeing the mana distribution on Deckstats I feel like the land base could use a tweak or two; also I need more utility lands and less taplands.

Gas: so many times I'm going run out of gas and hope I don't draw another land. I'm usually safe with Magus or Soul of the Harvest, or if I'm holding Slithermuse or Regal Force

5/5/2012
    Lots of changes!
    Removed some redundant guys and added a lot of acceleration. Now even if the enemy wraths me or manages to kill/bounce/tuck Animar I still have enough mana to cast some big guys.
    Enclave Cryptologist is awesome. Since now I have another way to put stuff in the graveyard, should Anger come back in?
    Also, how did I play the deck without Natural Order and Birthing Pod?

24/04/2012
    - Whirlpool Drake (not really worth the slot)
    - Darksteel Ingot (I'd rather have a creature do your job)
    - Sakashima the Impostor (double Animar was fun but it became even more vulnerable to wraths)
    + Farhaven Elf (coming in to sub for Darksteel Ingot, awesome art)
    + Skullclamp (testing it before her best friend Trinket Mage comes in)
    + Increasing Savagery (testing it, feels like a win more card until now)

Straightened up the manabase a bit, added homeward path cause Gilded Drakes suck.

Please tell me what do you think about this list, any help and suggestion is welcome, but please always specify what card I should replace (and possibly why).

I'll keep updating the list and I'll hopefully expand on strategy, metagame and card choices.
    Last edited by Janos Audron: 5/11/2012 4:16:48 AM
    I am not a native English speaker. If you see any grammatical errors in my posts, you're welcome to point them out to me by PM!

My EDH Decks (any suggestion welcome!):

WRG Uril, The Miststalker GRW
    URG Animar, Soul of Elements GRU
    UR Jhoira of the Ghitu RU
    UB Wrexial, the Risen Deep BU
    Alter Reality is only wrath protection against damage-based wraths, since protection doesn't prevent global effects except for damage.

If you want some wrath protection, Asceticism would work, although you need to keep mana open to regenerate.

Or Wrap in Vigor for one-shot wrath protection.

...or Run Kamahl, fist of Krosa with mana open, basically threatening to destroy their lands if they wrath.

I'll post more in a bit, didn't get to really read through your actual decklist.
    Current EDH decks:

BGW Doran, the Siege Tower BGW
    URG Animar, Combo Player URG (needs updating)
    WBR Kaalia of the Vast WBR
    Whoops, I didn't mean Alter Reality but Reality Ripple!

I'd play Wrap In Vigor instead of Resuscitate (even though Resuscitate is strictly better, because Rebecca Guay :D), but I'm getting your point. My problem is that most of the wraths I see have the "no regen" clause.
    [card]
    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa[/card] is actually an awesome suggestion, I never thought about using his ability like that!

Looking forward to more insight from you, I've seen your list from time to time while I was looking for suggestions!
    I am not a native English speaker. If you see any grammatical errors in my posts, you're welcome to point them out to me by PM!

Actually, having thought about it more, now I really want to add Kamahl, Fist of Krosa to my deck. I just need to find something to remove for it. I just made a bunch of changes to my deck, since it was very bounce/combo oriented, but didn't really have a lot of strong pressure to put on the opponents.

I do rather like your deck list, although looking at it, it’ll be hard to distinguish what to replace without playtesting it a bit.

A couple of things that stand out at me though:
    Whirlpool Drake - This can be good, but it can also sit in your hand for a while if you are trying to assemble a combo and don’t want to get rid of anything. Also, the dying trigger can really backfire if someone wraths or kills it otherwise and you have a good hand.
    Mystic Snake - I ended up taking this out, since it is still kind of expensive even with counters on animar for just a regular counter, although it may go back in or I may add something like Spell Crumple or Hinder

It looks a little bit like you have a lot of answers, but not quite as many solid threats (which is something I also need to work on). It’s easy to get Animar to combo out, the key to the deck is making sure you can do something with it once you do. I see a handful of must-answer creatures, but I think you might be able to remove a few combo pieces to make this deck a little more dangerous. Adding cards like Momir Vig, Simic Visionary to tutor for creatures and Nin, the Pain Artist to draw cards/remove threats if absolutely needed will help you hit your combo pieces faster, removing some of the need for redundancy/more pieces. I recently added Nin, and honestly haven’t looked back. For two mana, if she goes unanswered, I can suddenly have a lot of cards in my hand, plus she can get Genesis and Anger into my graveyard faster. Also, pairing her with Vigor is just nasty. You get card draw, and the drawback from her ability suddenly becomes a bonus.

Something I've learned from Fieryseraph's Riku deck and conversation with Supersonik in that thread is that immediate board impact is huge in evaluating a creature/card's value. Things like Magmatic Force can be awesome if it gets around to be your turn...or just a really expensive lightning bolt if it gets removed before then. However, things like the spoiled AVR creature Cloudhoof Behemoth (which I'm really looking forward to) is an immediate threat that unless countered, your opponents won't really get a chance to respond to. Ideally, you want your opponents to think "crap, now I have to deal with THAT too" after any spell you play. After playing my friend's tuned Rafiq deck so many times, I can tell you, it really changes the pace of the game.

/wall of text

I hope this helps at least a bit, and I'm excited to see what you get from playtesting a deck with such an awesome name. (seriously, I never noticed that in the art)

p.s. Ulamog, the Infinite Gyre doesn't exile permanents, just destroys them (although I kind of wish he did....that would be the drunk nuts)

Edit: A possible replacement for Glammerdye is Whim of Volrath. IMHO, buyback is better than retrace without Crucible of Worlds, although you don't get to change the text on spells, only permanents. On the upside, you can also change a basic land type in a text, so if you have a creature beating on you with forestwalk, give it swampwalk instead Smile
    Last edited by Dae657: 4/17/2012 7:11:34 PM
    Current EDH decks:

Late in the game, drawing anything but creatures sucks. Man, if only there was some way that instead of drawing one land, you could draw like three creatures.

Oh wait! Sages of the Anima. Bonus points - name sounds like Sages of the AnimaR!
    In the same vein Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar will let you pick your draws.
    Quote from FponkDamn
    Late in the game, drawing anything but creatures sucks. Man, if only there was some way that instead of drawing one land, you could draw like three creatures.

Oh wait! Sages of the Anima. Bonus points - name sounds like Sages of the AnimaR!

As I said in another thread, my main concern about this card is that it's reliant on late game to really be good and doesn't help you hit land drops or important enchantments/artifacts (read: Cloudstone Curio). However, as this is the second time I'm hearing about this suggestion, I'd second it if you happen to have one readily available, and see how it goes. That said, I'd honestly say again that Momir Vig, Simic Visionary is a better alternative for the same price. A Worldly Tutor whenever you play a green creature, creature draw whenever you play a blue one, and a full creature tutor when you play a U/G creature is too good to pass up. You just need to be careful when you play etb fetch creatures like Wood Elves and Farhaven Elf, because Momir's trigger is on cast, not etb.
    Current EDH decks:

How is Whirlpool Drake working out for you? I include it in my list simply because of the synergy it has with Psychosis Crawler. But as you don't include the Crawler I'm not convinced that the Drake is worth a slot?

Nice list though Smile I really need to update my 'could include' section for AEthersnipe and Phyrexian Ingester.

edit: And green Kamahl! And Nin! oh so many!!!
    Last edited by gelf: 4/18/2012 9:03:51 AM
    Commander
    URG Animar, Soul of Elements [Primer]
    WBW Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter
    RWR Tajic, Blade of the Legion
    WGW Torsten Von Ursus
    GUG Edric, Spymaster of Trest
    RRR Ashling the Pilgrim (she's back!)

Not MTG related - check out my creative writing blog allthingsdevours
    A few cards I think you're missing are erratic portal, equilibrium and crystal shard. Those are IMO quite important in your animar build because most of your creature can benefit from being cast again, especially with the cost reduction that Animar provides. They also help save your crucial creatures from board wipes and removals.

I think the biggest problem you have with wraths is Animar dying and having to accumulate the counters again. For other creatures, as long as you don't overstretch, it shouldn't be a huge problem. The first card I thought of is Darksteel Plate, the deck is pretty general-focused so more protection for animar is definitely good. Another card you can try is increasing savagery, this allows you to build up Animar quickly after he's dies. Twice.
    A.Minor's Tri-colour Madness!

:symr::symu::symg: Riku's RUG Goodstuff Deck

:symb::symr::symg: Kresh's Ultimate Timmy Deck

:symw::symu::symb: Sharuum's Etherium Empire

:symu::symb::symr: Thraximundar!!! Theft Deck

:symg::symb::symu: The Mimeoplasm Mill/Reanimator

:symr::symw::symu: Zedruu's Defense/Sunforger Deck

:symb::symg::symw: Karador Rock/Recursion Deck

:symg::symw::symu: Rafiq of the 1HKO

:symr::symg::symw: Rith and Her Token Army
    Lots and lots of good suggestions! Let's see if I can address everything!

Whirlpool Drake is...well, not doing much :p when you're in full combo mode, and you get stuck with lands in your hand, it can be a real lifesaver. But since I removed Primordial Sage I usually cast from the top of my library with Magus of the Future and his bros, so he hasn't been of help. Actually the reshuffle when he leaves play has proven to be a problem for me sometimes. I really like the art, but he's probably the first thing I'll cut. If I ever find the need for that effect again (Soul of the Harvest, I'm looking at you), I might run Whirlpool Warrior, since his effect is more controllable and he also serves as hand disruption on the opponents.

Mystic Snake isn't going anywhere, I can tutor him with Chord of Calling or Summoner's Pact at instant speed to counter something I didn't expect.

Momir Vig is something I always wanted to add, his power in a deck like this is incredible although he has the same problem of Primordial Sage: he does nothing as he comes into play and has an even bigger target on his head (with a smaller toughness). I'll see if I can find one to test his effectiveness.

Nin, the Pain Artist looks good, she may help me put Anger in the graveyard (something I usually have a problem doing) but I don't see any other major purpose in playing her. Mana is a very important resource in this deck and as much as I'd like playing a Mind Spring each turn I don't know if I can suffer the mana loss. The interaction with Vigor is quite broken on Animar, so maybe I need to think about that.

I'll probably find a spot for Craterhoof Behemoth when AVR comes out: if Animar has 5+ counters on him, at 3 green mana your (probable) 5 creatures on the battlefield are all getting +5/+5 and trample...I'm glad I'll be on his side of the board when it happens OMG

Glamerdye will become Whim of Volrath as soon as I find one Smile having a land available doesn't always happen and changing Animar's protection shouldn't be necessary more than twice a game (unless I'm being really mean and changing Swords protection all around).

Sages of the Anima strikes me as it could be the best creature in the deck as much as a terrible addition. I'll need counters/tutors/lands all game and, well, 2/3 creatures every time I draw anything seems like much more than I'd be able to play in a turn...I second Dae657, we need somebody who tested it extensively to give us some feedback.

Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar seems really good! He costs a ton, but if I can reduce his cost with Animar he's a better Mirri's Guile. Plus, he's a frog with eye-faces. Sign me up.

Something I didn't mention is I'll soon cut Darksteel Ingot, since it has zero sinergy with the deck...EXCEPT FOR THAT DAMN BLOODBRAID ELF- ahem.

Speaking of the newly spoiled cards, blue has nothing I'd add, red has Zealous Conscripts (could be good) and green has lots of stuff: Craterhoof Behemoth is a must-add, Champion of Lambholt could be great (all my dudes are unblockable and he's bound to become big if unchecked), Soul of the Harvest could substitute Garruk's Horde, and Somberwald Sage looks good too. Cards I'm not that sure about are Ulvenwald Tracker (the deck needs some more spot removal) and Descendant's Path (since it's "cast" it adds counters to Animar, and with 5/6 creatures down you're bound to freecast it; it's an enchantment though, and we don't like noncreatures, so...). The new UG land looks like it could come in instead of Winding Canyons, while Soul's Cavern, despite the MAD HYPE going off in the forums, doesn't look quite good in here (we need a lot of colored mana).

So, lots of cards to add on the bubble list, some possible cuts and all good suggestions to keep the mind grinding. Thanks a lot guys, keep it up!

EDIT: didn't see the last reply in time, so I'll address it in here. I'm aware Crystal Shard and Equilibrium are just broken in Animar decks (never thought about Erratic Portal though), but I'm afraid this deck might become just unfun to play against. Darksteel Plate is quite cool (I've got Fabricate to tutor for it) and Increasing Savagery looks like another possible solution to the wrath problem! I'll find a place for them if I can! Thanks!
    Last edited by Janos Audron: 4/18/2012 10:51:09 AM

Quote from Janos Audron

Mystic Snake isn't going anywhere, I can tutor him with Chord of Calling or Summoner's Pact at instant speed to counter something I didn't expect.

I hadn't even thought about that. I may put it back in once I get ahold of one, we'll see how that goes.

Nin, the Pain Artist looks good, she may help me put Anger in the graveyard (something I usually have a problem doing) but I don't see any other major purpose in playing her. Mana is a very important resource in this deck and as much as I'd like playing a Mind Spring each turn I don't know if I can suffer the mana loss. The interaction with Vigor is quite broken on Animar, so maybe I need to think about that.

I rather enjoy having her there, as when I can't play cards in my hand, or if I'm in protect/counter mode, she lets me refill if need be. However, if you don't think you'd use her as much, I can definitely understand not playing her.

Speaking of the newly spoiled cards, blue has nothing I'd add, red has Zealous Conscripts (could be good) and green has lots of stuff: Craterhoof Behemoth is a must-add, Champion of Lambholt could be great (all my dudes are unblockable and he's bound to become big if unchecked), Soul of the Harvest could substitute Garruk's Horde, and Somberwald Sage looks good too. Cards I'm not that sure about are Ulvenwald Tracker (the deck needs some more spot removal) and Descendant's Path (since it's "cast" it adds counters to Animar, and with 5/6 creatures down you're bound to freecast it; it's an enchantment though, and we don't like noncreatures, so...). The new UG land looks like it could come in instead of Winding Canyons, while Soul's Cavern, despite the MAD HYPE going off in the forums, doesn't look quite good in here (we need a lot of colored mana).

I'm glad to see someone else agrees on Soul's Cavern with me. I basically agree with all of these card ideas, although you may want to use Sun Quan, Lord of Wu instead of Champion of Lambholdt, which you can probably pick up a FTV version for cheap, since Horsemanship may as well be unblockable in most cases, and bouncing him isn't as huge a setback as it would be with the Champion. However, if you do end up adding Increasing Savagery, that could be a fun interaction to make your creatures unblockable too.

I really hope to pick up any of these cards, (although Zealous Conscripts seems especially interesting to pick up, as it's target permanent...hello planeswalkers!

I can't believe I didn't mention Increasing Savagery! T3 Animar, T4 Increasing Savagery = WIN.
    Current EDH decks:

I have an Animar deck that I love playing (and will eventually post the list) so I have just a couple suggestions as well.
    Plaxcaster Frogling and Trygon Predator are two cards I swear by. The froggy no only can graft onto Animar when you cast him, but also can make him, and a lot of other stuff in the deck, shrouded for cheap. The predator is a durdle that deals with a lot of problem stuff and early drop artifacts like Sol Ring. He is just a big thorn for people with stuff they want to protect, yet costs you very little. Also, I would trade Augury Owl for Seagate Oracle. It is immediate draw that plays better with Cloudstone.

As for Sages of the Anima. I have played with it several times and I can tell you, definitely worth it. At least in my meta, creatures don't stick to the board for very many turns so personally it has never actually been a liability. Plus with Oracle of Mul Daya and Borderland Ranger(curio again), getting enough land is not a problem.

I will say I think you need a bit more removal. Evacuation is just too good especially if there are token decks in your area. Plus Animar is cheap to recast from hand so building it back up is not too difficult. Also, Savage Twister has saved my butt several times. You can cast it for just less than Animar's toughness and usually wipe out a lot of troublesome things. Mystical Tutor where?

Last, a Sulfur Falls/Hinterland Harbor can't hurt and I really don't like the cycle lands so much since you can better options for card draw. But kudos on that Zoetic Cavern. I need to add that to my list.

EDIT: Glamerdye - Keep it. Yes there are times that it doesn't get much use, but I have seriously used it 6 times in one multiplayer game. Animar was beefy and got a lot of things aimed at him. This is part of the reason I run Borderland Ranger. But I also run a bit more land ramp than you like Explosive Vegetation
    Last edited by Prismetrix: 4/18/2012 3:28:04 PM
    "You are what you pretend to be, so you must be careful what you pretend to be" from Mother Night

First posted EDH deck: Hakim, Beardmaster
    My "on the bubble" list is exploding right now! I get kinda stuck at some point when I build a deck, since I usually put in all of the cards I like and then I don't want to take anything out; your suggestion though are really making me rethink everything and now I'd like to put in almost every card you named Smile but what to cut?

I've already looked at Plaxcaster Frogling when building the deck, and although I loved it on the first sight, after playing the deck a little I never got worried about spot removal on Animar. The only things that can kill him are usually red pingers (one of my friends had a Wort goblin deck with Sparksmith, and every time he got it as his first drop. GOD I'm glad he took the deck apart) and bounce effects, of which I only see Jace TMS in my playgroup. For these things I think Glamerdye and Lightning Greaves are enough, although if I ever see the need for more spot protection I'll get a Frogling in no time, since I can also tutor for it.

Trygon Predator is something I always wanted to fit in, since he's a reusable disenchant without the need of being bounced like Acidic Slime or Mold Shambler. I really don't know what to cut for him, since I already got Steel Hellkite too and a fourth disenchanter might be too much.

You're right about sweepers, I don't run any and usually my strategy against other creatures is "fill the board before he can". Evacuation is a pet card of mine so I'd be more than glad to run it, and it'd also double as wrath protection and EtB recycler. I'm a bit skeptic on the easiness of building Animar's counters back but I guess testing it won't hurt. Savage Twister might as well be a Starstorm, same effect at almost the same cost, with cycling on top. Mystical Tutor was taken out since I got to the point of having too few spells to matter, but I think it should go back in once I add Evacuation and (maybe) Starstorm.

The Sages might be worth a try after all. I'll see if they can make the cut.

The cycle lands have been rather underwhelming in this deck, lands are already at a minimum so they don't get cycled a lot (plus Mul Daya doesn't enable cycling) and the CiPT clause hurts sometimes. This is a change I'll probably make as soon as I can.

If I can suggest something to you now, Prismetrix, why play Borderland Ranger when you have LOTS of better choices around? Sylvan Ranger costs 1 less and she's an elf hottie instead of a bearded hobo, Farhaven Elf puts your land directly into play and Wood Elves can even fetch your Shocklands and Duals! Unless you already play all of these, since you said you run a lot of ramp.

Small changes (see changelog)! More to come in the next days, but I still need some insights on what to cut Frown

Quote from Janos Audron

Whirlpool Drake is...well, not doing much :p when you're in full combo mode, and you get stuck with lands in your hand, it can be a real lifesaver. But since I removed Primordial Sage I usually cast from the top of my library with Magus of the Future and his bros, so he hasn't been of help. Actually the reshuffle when he leaves play has proven to be a problem for me sometimes. I really like the art, but he's probably the first thing I'll cut. If I ever find the need for that effect again (Soul of the Harvest, I'm looking at you), I might run Whirlpool Warrior, since his effect is more controllable and he also serves as hand disruption on the opponents.

I like this argument. I need to add a Pact to my build.

Momir Vig is something I always wanted to add, his power in a deck like this is incredible although he has the same problem of Primordial Sage: he does nothing as he comes into play and has an even bigger target on his head (with a smaller toughness). I'll see if I can find one to test his effectiveness.

Momir is a real problem solver. I wouldn't cut it. Primordial Sage is a ridiculous draw engine in my deck. I'm doing a lot of bounce with my Portal/Equilibrium/Curio/creature activated ability though.

I'll probably find a spot for Craterhoof Behemoth when AVR comes out: if Animar has 5+ counters on him, at 3 green mana your (probable) 5 creatures on the battlefield are all getting +5/+5 and trample...I'm glad I'll be on his side of the board when it happens OMG

Glamerdye will become Whim of Volrath as soon as I find one Smile having a land available doesn't always happen and changing Animar's protection shouldn't be necessary more than twice a game (unless I'm being really mean and changing Swords protection all around).

I haven't tried this strategy (color words), but I've added it and we'll see. seems like a necessary evil.

Sages of the Anima strikes me as it could be the best creature in the deck as much as a terrible addition. I'll need counters/tutors/lands all game and, well, 2/3 creatures every time I draw anything seems like much more than I'd be able to play in a turn...I second Dae657, we need somebody who tested it extensively to give us some feedback.

I tried Sages when I first build my Animar deck, and after a few games I cut it out. Nothing's worse than milling that counter spell you needed to stop a wrath.

Tomorrow, Azami's Familiar seems really good! He costs a ton, but if I can reduce his cost with Animar he's a better Mirri's Guile. Plus, he's a frog with eye-faces. Sign me up.

Also tried Tomorrow, both in Animar and some other blue decks I have. In the end, I begrudgingly cut it due to mana cost and lack of usefulness compared to a Top.

Something I didn't mention is I'll soon cut Darksteel Ingot, since it has zero sinergy with the deck...EXCEPT FOR THAT DAMN BLOODBRAID ELF- ahem.

So, lots of cards to add on the bubble list, some possible cuts and all good suggestions to keep the mind grinding. Thanks a lot guys, keep it up!

EDIT: didn't see the last reply in time, so I'll address it in here. I'm aware Crystal Shard and Equilibrium are just broken in Animar decks (never thought about Erratic Portal though), but I'm afraid this deck might become just unfun to play against. Darksteel Plate is quite cool (I've got Fabricate to tutor for it) and Increasing Savagery looks like another possible solution to the wrath problem! I'll find a place for them if I can! Thanks!

See my comments above.
    Current EDH Generals:
    Animar (Bounce-->Eldrazi)
    Drana (Vamp tribal + big mana)
    Vorel (WiP)
    Empress Galina (Stealy/Combo)
    Toshiro (removal a'plenty)
    Thada (Stealy/ramp/control)
    Rafiq (smash!)
    Kaalia (Fatty)
    Teysa (Combo)
    Karador (Reanimate)
    Mirko Vosk (Land whack/mill)
    Geth (Discard/Gravecasting)
    Geist (WiP)
    Niv-Mizzet Dracogenius (ping/draw)
    Thanks for joining the discussion!

I just updated the list so you might want to take a look Wink

I'll try Momir and see how he fares, although I don't have many multicolor creatures (only Mystic Snake actually). Should I up the count a little before I put him in?

Quote from Janos Audron
    Thanks for joining the discussion!

I just updated the list so you might want to take a look Wink

I'll try Momir and see how he fares, although I don't have many multicolor creatures (only Mystic Snake actually). Should I up the count a little before I put him in?

I like the changes. I might cut two creatures, like Joraga or that new blue 'leveler' you added for some protection like Asceticism. I noticed you have zero enchantments. Any particular reason? I know this is a creature-heavy deck, but...zero?
    Even Equilibrium would be a worthwhile inclusion.
    I also include a few cards that enable Trample.

I'm testing these cards:
    Warstorm Surge (constant bounce makes this pretty sick)
    Lantern Spirit (returns himself)
    Vow of Wilderness (trample)
    Mage Slayer (r/g artifact that triggers on attack)
    Shielding Plax (hexproof enchantment + 1 card draw for 3 mana)
    Predatory Hunger (in multiplayer, this can really accelerate Animar's counters)
    Current EDH Generals:
    Vorel (WiP)
    Rafiq (smash!)
    Kaalia (Fatty)
    Teysa (Combo)
    Karador (Reanimate)
    Geist (WiP)
    There's no particular reason for the deck to run no enchantments, I just didn't find anything worthwile to put in. I don't feel the need for trample since the fatties in the deck have always some form of evasion.

Equilibrium is awesome in Animar. So awesome it can get broken really fast, that's why I don't run it...in a hardline competitive build it would surely have its place!

Warstorm Surge is a bit too costly, if I have 6 mana to spend I'd rather cast a creature (or 2 or 3 since that's what the deck does best!)

Lantern Spirit is not that bad, but since its only use would be the constant bounce, Shrieking Drake does it for cheaper mana and can return something else. Lots of Animar lists run the drake, so it might be worthwile to recur some EtB guys.

Vow of Wildness is an awesome card since it may double as a pacifism effect (even better, since in multiplayer you'd be the only one the creature can't attack!)

Mage Slayer is really good, sometimes all it takes is doubling an eldrazi's damage and the enemy is gone. I might find a place for this, although if I put it on Animar it won't count as Commander Damage (learnt this the hard way in my Uril deck Frown )

Shielding Plax is good but Animar already has some protection.

Predatory Hunger might be a hidden gem for Animar decks. If they can kill Animar it'd be a 2 for 1 (as with all auras) but this Commander is hard to kill and already has a huge target on its head, so the opponents will kill him anyway. If left unchecked, this could make Animar big even in your opponent's turns...plus I've got the card from a long time and always liked the flavor text Grin

As of now, the enchantment I'd like to test the most in Animar is Lurking Predators. With half the deck being creatures, and lots of them being BIG creatures, you could cheat lots of fatties into play at no expense of mana. It can also filter some dead draws in the late game, and requires AT LEAST an activation to kill, so it's a 2 for 1 if you have a creature on top and a 1 for 1 (not counting the filtering) if you get a land or something else!

Quote from Janos Audron
    There's no particular reason for the deck to run no enchantments, I just didn't find anything worthwile to put in. I don't feel the need for trample since the fatties in the deck have always some form of evasion.

Equilibrium is awesome in Animar. So awesome it can get broken really fast, that's why I don't run it...in a hardline competitive build it would surely have its place!

Warstorm Surge is a bit too costly, if I have 6 mana to spend I'd rather cast a creature (or 2 or 3 since that's what the deck does best!)

Lantern Spirit is not that bad, but since its only use would be the constant bounce, Shrieking Drake does it for cheaper mana and can return something else. Lots of Animar lists run the drake, so it might be worthwile to recur some EtB guys.

Vow of Wildness is an awesome card since it may double as a pacifism effect (even better, since in multiplayer you'd be the only one the creature can't attack!)

Mage Slayer is really good, sometimes all it takes is doubling an eldrazi's damage and the enemy is gone. I might find a place for this, although if I put it on Animar it won't count as Commander Damage (learnt this the hard way in my Uril deck Frown )

Shielding Plax is good but Animar already has some protection.

Predatory Hunger might be a hidden gem for Animar decks. If they can kill Animar it'd be a 2 for 1 (as with all auras) but this Commander is hard to kill and already has a huge target on its head, so the opponents will kill him anyway. If left unchecked, this could make Animar big even in your opponent's turns...plus I've got the card from a long time and always liked the flavor text Grin

As of now, the enchantment I'd like to test the most in Animar is Lurking Predators. With half the deck being creatures, and lots of them being BIG creatures, you could cheat lots of fatties into play at no expense of mana. It can also filter some dead draws in the late game, and requires AT LEAST an activation to kill, so it's a 2 for 1 if you have a creature on top and a 1 for 1 (not counting the filtering) if you get a land or something else!

Lantern isn't just a recurring bouncer for counters, though. He's a flying blocker that never dies if you have 1 mana to bring him back before damage is assessed. Very handy.

Why wouldn't Mage Slayer count as commander damage? That's the only reason I have it in my deck.
    It reads: "when equipped creature attacks, it deals damage..."

Gatherer rules state:
    When the equipped creature attacks, the first ability will trigger. When that ability resolves, that creature will deal damage equal to its power to defending player, even if Mage Slayer has left the battlefield or is equipping a different creature by that time.
    http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=179567
    Last edited by Balmer: 5/5/2012 10:17:58 PM
    Current EDH Generals:
    Vorel (WiP)
    Rafiq (smash!)
    Kaalia (Fatty)
    Teysa (Combo)
    Karador (Reanimate)
    Geist (WiP)
    General Damage is only combat damage. Mageslayer doesn't do combat damage.
    Quote from Dagoth_Guru
    General Damage is only combat damage. Mageslayer doesn't do combat damage.

Oh? First I've heard of that rule. Guess I better research, because that would mean several commanders we play are moot like:
    Lyzolda
    Brion Stoutarm

(sorry to hijack the thread, OP!)

Edit: This checks out. Well, damn! So Mageslayer would still proc damage, it just wouldn't count as commander damage since it's not 'combat damage'. I'll probably cut the card consequently.
    Last edited by Balmer: 5/6/2012 11:30:24 AM
    Current EDH Generals:
    Vorel (WiP)
    Rafiq (smash!)
    Kaalia (Fatty)
    Teysa (Combo)
    Karador (Reanimate)
    Geist (WiP)
    It surely makes the card worse, but I'm not sure I would cut it. I mean, it doubles the damage your creature does, even when it's not Animar, and makes the damage undodgeable. Equipping an Eldrazi or a significantly big Animar with that would be a serious threat for the opponent, even though it wouldn't mean auto-scoop.

PS: np on the hijacking, we're here for discussion anyways!

can you post an updated list please?
    Quote from SteB
    [Chrome Mox is] just another of the cards that was banned as a shot in the dark without any actual reason, among Jitte and Sword of the Meek.
    I have an animar list of my own which I believe is quite similar to yours. It's pretty tempo-midrange but there is also a multiplayer version I'm working on.

Surprised you aren't playing shrieking drake or dream stalker, two cards which work great with animar.
    Quote from Janos Audron

I've run both of these cards in my Animar deck and they work awesome. I've always been a fan of Tomorrow, he's got EDH written all over him. His low colored mana requirement makes him a beast in this deck. He's one of those cards you put down and unless people have seen him in action, they dismiss him until you start making power plays every turn. Sages does have some drawbacks (that I get around since my Animar deck is morphs, so I just need creatures in hand and that's it) in that if you really need an artifact or land he could screw you. I think his value in your deck would be very dependent on how reliably you're able to draw more than 1 card a turn without spending extra mana to do it. It's (maybe) also worth noting that both of these cards will keep you from milling as well since they are replacement effects for drawing. Doesn't work as well as Eldrazi or Elixir of Immortality, but it's something at least.

If you had to include only 1 I'd go with Tomorrow since he's lower mana requirement with Animar out and lets you grab non-creatures.
    My EDH Decks:

URNiv-Mizzet the Firemind

WUBRGSliver Queen leads the Planewalkers
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes