Here is the deck I build at the moment around Rafiq of the Many. My goal here is to make a creature deck (with some control however!! :D) that aims at leaning little critters on the board that will be boosted by others or some stat enablers for some face smashing attacks. Ok it's not the surprise game plan of the year, but I wanted to use the Exalted card I've gathered from my Alara block... Don't be too scared, there's some fatties in here too to help end the game.
I'm not that used with this color combination so your help is welcome!!
Dueling Grounds really helps with your theme and is a little more reliant than Silent Arbiter. But you should run both. I'd also run that enchantment from Ravnica that gives all your stuff shroud. It's G/W hybrid. I forget the name! I'd run either of these over Hindering Light for sure.
First of all: thank you all for your comments!! Keep them coming pleaaaasee!!
Then the answers:
- Bant Charm: I don't have one yet... but plan on getting one asap!
- Swords to Plowshares/Path to Exile/Condemn: not enough StP or PtE for all my white EDH decks.. and I don't think that Condemn fits that well the theme of the deck as I would rather get rid of an annoying blocking creature than an attacking one...
- Glorious Anthem : I don't have that much creatures in play at a time. In general 1 or 2 in addition to Rafiq do the job for me. Over the course of a dozen of games I've attacked 2 or 3 times with all my creatures...
- among the little Exalted guys I agree I've to cut some... but I don't have fatties to replace them with for the moment (no SSS for example) so if you have ideas of some that could fit the bill... tell me!
- Noble Hierarch : I would have get it at the pre-release it would have been nice.. now it seems a bit over the average price you would afford to put for a single card to fit in your 9th real EDH deck!
@ heroicraptor :
- Spirit en-Dal : have been suggested elsewhere too... and is a very nice addition I plan to do as soon as I would have been able to find a copy!
@ ludd_gang :
- Quietus Spike : nice suggestion indeed as a "dare if you block, dare if you don't" seems a really nice deal!
- Loxodon Warhammer : would fit the little subtheme of life gain already available in the deck... I'll have to find more copies of it.
- Rancor: is already in!
- Thieving Magpie : seems a bit narrow to my mind as 1 damage doesn't seem enough: evasion but no protection and a creature that won't kill before long... Not sold on this one.
- Ophidian Eyes : I find the Flash nice but don't know if it deserves a slot as it doesn't boost the stats of the creature...
- Steelshaper's Gift : for Whispersilk cloak I think... Could be nice indeed as tutor is always welcome!
- O-Naginata : I don't think I've enough 3+ power creatures at the moment... but I keep the idea! (I'll include it for sure in my Rith fatty-themed deck!)
@ rantipole :
- Dueling ground : indeed an enchantment will be more resilient than an artifact creature... when I'll be able to get one. Added on my wish-list.
- Privileged Position : A VERY nice idea that would complement nicely Ghostway! You're not allowed to target them... and global destruction won't do much...
- Mirari's Wake : I don't know how I could have missed it...
Thanks you all! Give me more comments please!
Do you feel that I play too much little critters with evasion? Too much auras?
Yeah, I know some of those might be considered kinda jank, but we are strictly home gamers, and people usually just play the decks I built. So... No promises on their effect in your games.
The Viper would indeed be a nice addition among the "early-drops-that-are-still-welcomed-late-game"...
As you say some of your suggestions are... well.. pretty surprising! But the good point here is that I totally forgot about Conspire that is very synergetic with Exaltation as most of my creatures will stay home while "the one" will attack. I thought about Convoke at first too... but didn't find nice additions I could use, Devouring light and Chord of calling being the closest to addition.
There's always our good friend Soltari Priest to consider too. Shadow is a fun type of evasion. Could have a little bit of extra Forecast fun with Paladin of Prahv too, little extra lifegain is always fun.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
"Each reality is but the dream of another, and each sleeper a god unknowing." - Venser's Diffusion
Current Decks: T2 (Testing) RGB Jund Midrange BB Vampire Aggro UGW Turbofog WR Vengeant Control
T1.5: xXAffinity (Frenzy Tog)
MTG Rules Adviser I'm a proud member of the Online Campaign for Real English. If you believe in capital letters, correct spelling and good sentence structure, then copy this into your signature.
I'd play Hystrodon over Ohran Viper in EDH decks that have Stonebrow or Rafiq as generals. Strictly speaking, Viper is generally a better choice, but the synergy with some generals makes Hystrodon a better choice in a lot of specific circumstances.
Rollback Post to RevisionRollBack
Thanks to Gabgabdevo for the awesome sig image!
I'm always looking for foil Madcap Skills and Ghitu Fire-Eater, [trade thread link forthcoming]
About some nice suggestions:
- Battlegrace Angel : I don't have one yet but plan on getting one! (I'm updetting a list in the first post with nice suggestions I will include as soon as I get them: feel free to comment on the "urge" of each one and the priority of some against others)
- Trygon predator : evasion / early beater with a damaged based useful trigger : I want it!!
- Hystrodon : trample and damaged based trigger : I want it too! (and a lot less expensive than the Viper..)
- Paladin of Prahv : nice repeatable lifelink enabler... Hummm... if I keep on growing on the lifegain theme I may consider including Well of Lost dreams...
- Soltari priest: evasion, some kind of protection... my only concern: the double W in the cost. I'd like to limit the amount of those doublo color requirement especially on cheap cards as I don't have the duals required for this deck.
- Vigor : would be a really nice protection here and a nice beater also...
- Might of oaks : a 1card kill is very powerful but I would play Stonewood invocation over it any day as it gives much needed protection on your lonely beater... Or should I consider both?
- Inkwell leviathan : "protection" + evasion + trample + a big butt... one of my favorite fatty!!!!
This deck has done really well for me so far!
After some games that prover right away the power of Rafiq, people start gangin up on me... That slowed a bit my flow of victories.. but not that much in the end!
I have to say that I'm really impressed by the raw power of that creature that lacks both most aggressive colors of magic!
I don't like Augery Adept because it has no evasion at all. The same goes for Cephalid Constable, which is another card many people suggest. Yeah, the abilities are powerful, but they have to connect to work and I would rather spend my early-to-mid game setting up a lethal finisher like Akroma, Angel of Wrath or Darksteel Colossus than putting unneccessary effort into enabling cute tricks like the Adept or Constable. The only creature like that that I think is worth running is Cold-Eyed Selkie, which I see you have. In a multiplayer format, Islandwalk generally has at least one or two players to work against. Ohran Viper almost makes the cut, but Deathtouch isn't all that useful on something you want attacking unblocked. And Rafiq alone makes the Selkie net you double the cards the Viper does.