Official 'I need help picking a Commander' thread

Quote from thedefenestrated
    It seems like azami, lady of scrolls would be a suitable general for you. She likes combo (the sensei's divining top, future sight, cloud key combo), as well as nuts combos with palinchron and phantasmal image.

Unsurprisingly, as a blue deck that draws lots of cards she makes a good control general too.

One concern, however, she may be too competitive for your meta, when well tuned she's pretty dominating.

I'd propose Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. That guy is just mean, and you've got access to combos like the "soggy pickles", all the while maintaining control of the board. Hell, your General alone slows down everyone by 2 turns (it reduces your mana costs by 1 and increases your opponents' by 1). What more would a control/combo player want..?
    Currently Playing:
    Iwamori says "Just Bring It!"
    Edric's Spiesssssssss (Snake Tribal) GU
    Sliver Overlord (Slivers Galore!!) WUBRG
    Ruhan of the Fomori RWU
    Seton, Krosan ProtectorG
    Intet, The Dreamer (Hive Mind + Scrambleverse anyone?) URG
    Karona, False God the Goddess of Tribal - Samurai, P3K Horsemen, 5c MyrsWUBRG
    Garza's Family UBR
    Sygg, River Guide and his merry merrowmen UB
    Sharuum, the Hedgemon Sphinx Tribal
    Quote from Stridyr
    Hi Fellas,

Was hoping to get some help selecting a new commander to make a deck out of.

I have a pretty sweet Kaalia, of the Vast deck, and was hoping to build another commander deck that plays very differently. My Kaalia deck is essentially a "get big creatures into play and beat down my opponent" type of deck so i want to avoid creatures that are just big facesmashers.

1. What color/s are you interesting in choosing?

Because Kaalia is W/R/B I was looking for a U/G kind of deck, but as that is quite limiting I would be willing to go any dual or tri color deck that has at least one of U or G in it.

Even though Kaalia is somewhat tribal with the Angel/Dragon/Demon component, there arent any cards in the deck that take the tribal into consideration. I would be willing to make a tribal deck if you think that could be fun.

I don't find it enjoyable to have to keep track of too many tokens or counters.

2. Do you wish to play combo, aggro, or control?
    4. Do you identify yourself as a Timmy, Johnny, or Spike?

Control would be preferable, but aggro would be cool if it involvs creatures with cool abilities rather than just big creatures that cost lots of mana.

I am open to combos but in my opinion it is hard to get what you are looking for in a commander deck.

3. Is your meta competitive or casual?

More casual than anything, but I am a very competitive person and I want to win.

5. Are you working on a budget?
    Willing to spend the following:
    $50 on one card
    $25 on 4
    The rest need to be under $10 each

6. What are your favorite strategies (such as extra turns, land destruction, countermagic, etc)?

I don't like land destruction or tokens/counters, but I'm probably open to anything else.

7. Are there multiple commanders that you can't decide between?

Nothing has sparked my interest

Try Edric, Spymaster of trest. I did a snake tribal with it - no fatties there. But you've got control elements in the form of stuff like Mystic Snake that, overall, would pretty much control the game if you'd pair it up with stuff like Cloudstone Curio. You get tons of card draw while hammering away at your opponents with (i quote from my friend JP) "insignificant" snakes while you draw cards and play permission (of course, he died soon after after he was bitten by my marsh viper a few times). I guess the only card in there that's really expensive would be Gaea's Cradle. For countermagic/control elements, well, you control players would know how to do it. Capsize is a card I see in most control decks with blue, and the mana off cradle means you'll only need to worry about the blue. All this, while Edric says to your opponents "if you wanna draw cards, hit everyone BUT me. Well, I can't think of a better candidate. Grin

If you're interested, I think i could just post my snake decklist in here so you could get an idea, and the snake legends are pretty powerful too. Grin
    Currently Playing:
    Ruhan of the Fomori RWU
    Seton, Krosan ProtectorG
    Garza's Family UBR
    It seems like azami, lady of scrolls would be a suitable general for you. She likes combo (the sensei's divining top, future sight, cloud key combo), as well as nuts combos with palinchron and phantasmal image.

Unsurprisingly, as a blue deck that draws lots of cards she makes a good control general too.

One concern, however, she may be too competitive for your meta, when well tuned she's pretty dominating.

She's certainly something to consider. From what I've heard she might indeed be a bit too competitive... Do you have any other suggestions?

I'd propose Grand Arbiter Augustin IV. That guy is just mean, and you've got access to combos like the "soggy pickles", all the while maintaining control of the board. Hell, your General alone slows down everyone by 2 turns (it reduces your mana costs by 1 and increases your opponents' by 1). What more would a control/combo player want..?

I do like this idea, but unfortunately another player in my playgroup has this general allready. I'd rather play a different general. Any other ideas?
    Quote from Universal
    She's certainly something to consider. From what I've heard she might indeed be a bit too competitive... Do you have any other suggestions?

A more fair version of Azami is Arcanis the Omnipotent. He's about the same in combo potential, but moderately less competitive due to being easier to disrupt.
    My Newer Trade Thread

Quote from Æthergineer
    The Aperture Science Center would like to remind you that the internet isn't a competition, but if it was, you would be winning.

Quote from Bladefaustus
    Amen to you.... you brilliant, brilliant person.

Quote from Syphon
    If you weren't male, I'd ask you to marry me.

Thanks, I'll have a look at Arcanis, the Omnipotent. Another suggestion somebody did was Ertai, the Corrupted. Do you have any experience with this general? And is it a good, but not too good, and fun general?
    I'm wanting to build a budget EDH deck, I want it to include blue or red.
    I made a Boros Aggro-Stax deck and I'm not sure if it will benefit more if I stick with R/ or do I splash G? Remember this deck can't contain blue because it'd make it way too consistent. All of my decks are somewhat consistent in their own way, but by adding blue would make it "fair".

The main reasons I'd like to try Naya aggro-stax is because I'd like incorporate a new element to control which hasn't been scene in Edh yet (at least from my knowledge) and I'd to prove that non-B/ control is viable. It's to prove that you can have card advantage with the two best colours for Edh.

I would love to make a deck where I can Gaddock Teeg, Decimate and Aura Shards. Those three cards always kill me, but I've never had the chance to use against anyone.

Another thing, Green offers more tutors I have access to which Red and White doesn't offer sadly. It gives me an excuse to use Seedborn Muse and Hull Breach as well.
    Just to list a few tutors which I have laying around...

The main reason I'd run Captain Sisay is because is a repeatable tutor with many good targets. They include my various legendary lands, Gaddock Teeg, Hokori, Kataki, Jitte, Thalia...I'm blanking on what else is in my deck now.
    Last edited by BaconofLight: 4/20/2012 2:22:22 AM
    Bob is pretty good in Elder Dragon Highlander.

EDH
    BWG Doran Suicide Tempo BWG
    BUW Sharuum Midrange Control BUW
    You could play Jhoira relatively easily on a budget considering you don't really need to worry about the cmc of things, you can play the less $expensive$ versions of cards.... Plus come on, you know you want to play That backstabbing eldrazi with haste for 2 ;-)
    Hall of Gemstone
    Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger
    Hokori, Dust Drinker
    Seedborn Muse
    Magus of the Tabernacle, or The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale cause its legendary, if you, ya know, got about 300$ laying around.

Winter Orb effects.

Sadly you won't be breaking any new ground, this has been done before, but I'm sure you'll be a hit with your friends. And by hit I mean they'll hit you. With baseball bats.
    EDH Decks

Ruric-Thar, the Unbowed: Punisher-Control

Isperia, Supreme Judge: Control

Malfegor: Control
    Quote from Trabant777
    You could play Jhoira relatively easily on a budget considering you don't really need to worry about the cmc of things, you can play the less $expensive$ versions of cards.... Plus come on, you know you want to play That backstabbing eldrazi with haste for 2 ;-)

Well, I'd disagree. Jhoira causes your opponents to sit up and take notice and think "this guy is gonna throw out some powerful threats". I'd suggest Nin, the Pain Artist. Looks harmless, even beneficial to your opponents...until you zap your own Stuffy Doll that is. Oh wait, did I mention that you're losing life to psychosis crawler as well? :p
    Currently Playing:
    Ruhan of the Fomori RWU
    Seton, Krosan ProtectorG
    Garza's Family UBR
    Quote from Universal

I do like this idea, but unfortunately another player in my playgroup has this general allready. I'd rather play a different general. Any other ideas?

Well, it wouldn't necessarily need to be countermagic/mass destroy control wouldn't it? Then I'll refer you to Nin, Pain Artist as well. Or....Nicol Bolas. Well, I've had my fun in EDH/Archenemy, and Bolas is the baddest Archenemy of all - with or without archenemy. Grixis mix comes with lotsa possibilities.

Another deck to consider would be Ixidor, Reality Sculptor. This guy is just mean, and you can play combos like Vesuvan Shapeshifter + Brine Elemental. Grin

As for your question on Ertai, it all depends on the people you play with. If it were my playgroup, we'll condemn the general since he can be pretty broken. Anything that says 'counterspell' on it would probably ruin someone else's day just when he gets all excited and decides to, say, G-wave. There are just some players out there that don't quite like disruption in the way of counters and/or mass kill, and some of those don't quite take it very well too. Grin
    Last edited by xxsaberxx: 4/20/2012 4:20:31 AM
    Currently Playing:
    Ruhan of the Fomori RWU
    Seton, Krosan ProtectorG
    Garza's Family UBR
    Quote from xxsaberxx
    Well, I'd disagree. Jhoira causes your opponents to sit up and take notice and think "this guy is gonna throw out some powerful threats". I'd suggest Nin, the Pain Artist. Looks harmless, even beneficial to your opponents...until you zap your own Stuffy Doll that is. Oh wait, did I mention that you're losing life to psychosis crawler as well? :p

I was saying she would be good for a budget list because she can carry the deck without the expensive cards you need in normal decks.... That being said Nin is also a really fun general.
    If you go Naya, play Jacques le Vert. He's probably the closest naya legend to being a bear himself, and he'll give your bears a bigger butt. And aside from that he's basically useless, which you'll like.

Uril and Mayael make no sense, Rith or Hazezon would make tokens, which would give you some resiliency. I'd probably play Rith if not Jacques, but Jacques is funny.

How I know I should build a deck:
    Quote from Galspanic
    That's a bad idea even for you. trollface
    Merged thread "Is Naya the best suite deck for Hate-bears.dec?" in here. The topic was too much of a what commander should I choose to remain in its own thread. -ISB
    [EDH Primers] Jenara | Marton | Thrun | Lin Sivv
    [EDHNon-Primer] Obzedat | Toshiro | Derevi | Tariel
    [STANDARD]UW Midrange
    [MODERN]UWR Flash Control

My helpdesk
    Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for a mono blue deck that will not get hated off the table the minute people see islands or a blue commander? I'm trying to assemble a deck that is fun to play, and has great synergy, but able to win without enraging the whole table or putting a target on my head simply because "we hate mono blue around here"... or am I pretty much going to get hated on with any blue deck, regardless off it's contents?

I've tried a few different blue decks, but the end result is - kill the blue guy Smile

Thanks in advance for any advice or feedback!

Signature courtesy of Heroes of the Plane Studios
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?t=182339
    Seafood theme with Lorthos, the Tidemaker: Fishes, squids, octopi, jellyfish, serpents, crabs and a sponge.
    Probably choose a theme and stick to it. Theme decks are generally weaker because if done right you take on theme over power. Although people hate blue a lot.

Quote from cryogen
    Beaten to the punch. Besides, if people were right all the time, Jivan would be out of a job.

Quote from alblaster
    I swear Jivan you're everywhere, where there are cries about edh. You aren't the spirit that the edh community deserves, but the spirit that the edh community needs.
    Oona-Combo, ">Oona-Control, Wrexial
    Merged "Fun Mono Blue Ideas?" in here. It is essentially looking for a commander.

A good followup question here being do you play online or with a regular meta? If you play with a regular meta they should sort of get used to a deck and if it is powerful / combos out regularly you might be screwed regardless of your commander. Would they hate on you if you had a multicolored commander that happened to be blue???

As for online play. there is no helping people hating on blue players. A bad blue commander might just be a goodstuff combo deck in disguise. There might not be any help with this one but I suppose stay away from Teferi / Azami online if you don't want extra hate.
    [STANDARD]UW Midrange

My helpdesk
    Quote from ISBPathfinder
    Merged "Fun Mono Blue Ideas?" in here. It is essentially looking for a commander.

A good followup question here being do you play online or with a regular meta? If you play with a regular meta they should sort of get used to a deck and if it is powerful / combos out regularly you might be screwed regardless of your commander. Would they hate on you if you had a multicolored commander that happened to be blue???

As for online play. there is no helping people hating on blue players. A bad blue commander might just be a goodstuff combo deck in disguise. There might not be any help with this one but I suppose stay away from Teferi / Azami online if you don't want extra hate.

I play in a regular weekly league at a local store, and I never use any crazy/degenerate combos such as Teferi/Knowledge Pool, Erayo/Arcane Laboratory, etc.

Out of all of the mono blue commanders that I have used, Heidar, Rimewind Master (who I never see people use and don't think is too much of a threat) seems to attract the least amount of hate (relatively speaking), but I still run into the problem of "kill the blue guy".

As far as a hating on a multicolored commander who has blue in the casting cost... I'm not really sure to be honest. Although, Riku doesn't seem to make any friends...

The meta that I play in is pretty much split into two camps... very competitive decks (tokens, voltron, mono black, etc.) and decks that attract no attention, and always loose.

Is this simply a matter of dealing with an unspoken rule that the mono blue player dies first?

I would say if you wanted to draw a little less mono blue hate, try a Sun Quan, Lord of Wu aggro deck, it could work and if you let the table know that its an aggro deck and not a counter deck they might cut you some slack... Until you start dropping unlockable eldrazi.
    Well if you have problems with drawing hate with Heidar its probably more of an issue that your meta hates on blue players. You might try more of an agro blue strategy or go to a multicolored commander. If you have blockers up people tend to send less random stuff over at you.
    [STANDARD]UW Midrange

My helpdesk
    I know there was a fun mono blue thread merged into this one, but I'd like to lay out my own scenario...
    1. What color/s are you interesting in choosing?
    As stated, need a balanced and unoppressive mono blue general.
    2. Do you wish to play combo, aggro, or control?
    A bit of this, a bit of that...
    3. Is your meta competitive or casual?
    Pretty casual, so I don't need a run the table in 3 turns type deck, though I would still like to be competitive.
    4. Do you identify yourself as a Timmy, Johnny, or Spike? (Don't know?)
    Timmy/Spike (50/50)
    5. Are you working on a budget?
    Nope!
    6. What are your favorite strategies (such as extra turns, land destruction, countermagic, etc)?
    I love drawing cards, splashy effects, and controlling by bounce/removal/disruption, not locks or counter suites. Interactivity and a little politicking is good!
    7. Are there multiple commanders that you can't decide between?
    I'm currently considering Rayne, Academy Chancellor and Thada Adel, Acquisitor. My concern with Thada is that constantly searching my opponents libraries for goodies to steal can disrupt the flow of the game. If you have insight on this issue, I'd love to hear it.

Of course, any other suggestions are more than welcome and I'd appreciate a description of the recommended general's playstyle.

PET PEEVES
    :rolleyes:Backseat Mods - if you're not a moderator, stop quoting rules. No hall monitors needed.:rolleyes:
    1. Black/White/Green is probably my favorite color combo. (does not have to be all three colors.)

2. Combo or Aggro will be fine

3. Casual

4. A little of both Timmy and Johnny. Smashing people with huge fatties is great but it still bring a smile to my face when all the puzzle pieces fall into place.

5. Extremely tight budget.

6. Discard, beat down, land destruction

7. I know the obvious ones are Ghave and Doran but still open to any others.
    Quote from Trabant777
    I would say if you wanted to draw a little less mono blue hate, try a Sun Quan, Lord of Wu aggro deck, it could work and if you let the table know that its an aggro deck and not a counter deck they might cut you some slack... Until you start dropping unlockable eldrazi.

Thanks! Will look into Sun Quan agro... I would probably have to avoid massive bombs though, like the Eldrazi.

Quote from ISBPathfinder
    Well if you have problems with drawing hate with Heidar its probably more of an issue that your meta hates on blue players. You might try more of an agro blue strategy or go to a multicolored commander. If you have blockers up people tend to send less random stuff over at you.

Was thinking about U/R deck (one of my favorite color combos - minus the two card instant win combos)... but I know Niv-Mizzet and Jhoira will get hated on as soon as the other players see them. What about Nin, the Pain Artist?

Quote from Novo
    Was thinking about U/R deck (one of my favorite color combos - minus the two card instant win combos)... but I know Niv-Mizzet and Jhoira will get hated on as soon as the other players see them. What about Nin, the Pain Artist?

Nin Is great as a general, Stuffy FTW! I have ran her before and she's a blast to play, but I don't think you will avoid the kill the blue guy mentality with her though, she is mainly a blue general with some red thrown in, you might get to slip under the radar the first time you play someone but after that they will know what's up ;-)
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes