Thraximundar EDH Deck

So I recently acquired a foil Thraximundar and I'm wondering what you guys think about it. Would it make a good EDH general and how should I build around it This is going to be my first EDH deck so I'm not entirely sure where to begin or how exactly to build a great deck since most of my other cards are from Innistrad and the most recent block.
    i know a vampire tribal build. it's pretty good. oh, and rattlesnake build with 30+ removal/counters/sweeps is cool too Grin
    Quote from soramaro
    Yeah, Magic2014 really is underwhelming ... just like Dragon's Maze, Gatecrash, Return to Ravnica, Avacyn Restores, Dark Ascension, Innistrad, New Phyrexia, Mirrodin Besieged, Scars of Mirrodin and all sets before those. Rolleyes
    Get over it, it's just a children's card game.

Thanks Argentleman;)
    :simic::dimir::golgari:mimeoplasm dredge/millGUB
    :rakdos::dimir::izzet: Nekusar Control painwheel RUB
    :simic::gruul::izzet: intet the dreamerURG
    Thrax is a good general Smile

He can be a bit good-stuff-y, but you can build him most anyway you want to. Control and then him as a finisher, zombies, vampires, combo, etc. Enjoy the format
    Check out my decklist for Thrax in my sig for an idea. It's voltron with some good stuff, that was my first EDH deck as well.
    Quote from Vandar
    Check out my decklist for Thrax in my sig for an idea. It's voltron with some good stuff, that was my first EDH deck as well.

Oh wow, that looks really nice.
    Also, nice Lazav EDH.
    Since its your first EDH and you have some stuff from ISD, Id make it semi-tribal with some sacrifice themes. And Swiftfoot Boots. Grin
    Club Flamingo Entries: +50
    Club Flamingo Wins: 1!
    A zombie EDH deck with Thrax at the helm would be an excellent place to start. Pick a bunch of synergistic cards, throw in some mana ramp, card draw, and spot removal, and you'll be ready!

Zombies are a nice creature type to build around in EDH, as they have a lovely tendency to recur themselves and have a nice wide variety of effects. Elves or goblins may be able to quickly overwhelm foes, but they also have a much harder time recovering from a board wipe, and tend to be much more linear; zombies, in my opinion, are a better embodiment of EDH. You'll be able to interact with your opponents more and enjoy nice, drawn-out games where you slowly build up an army of the unstoppable living dead to crush those fools who dared call you mad!
    Last edited by uberdylan: 5/16/2013 10:03:03 PM
    Autocard Anywhere. Because clicking links is for n00bs.

Quote from Biomechanika
    As a connoisseur of fun, interesting matches, I still to this day have not been able to craft that "perfect deck"; the deck that I can play and have fun over time, doesn't get boring, but simultaneously is fun to play against. I honestly don't think it exists. It's like a unicorn. A ninja unicorn.

Quote from uberdylan
    A zombie EDH deck with Thrax at the helm would be an excellent place to start. Pick a bunch of synergistic cards, throw in some mana ramp, card draw, and spot removal, and you'll be ready!

Zombies are a nice creature type to build around in EDH, as they have a lovely tendency to recur themselves and have a nice wide variety of effects. Elves or goblins may be able to quickly overwhelm foes, but they also have a much harder time recovering from a board wipe, and tend to be much more linear; zombies, in my opinion, are a better embodiment of EDH. You'll be able to interact with your opponents more and enjoy nice, drawn-out games where you slowly build up an army of the unstoppable living dead to crush those fools who dared call you mad!

Heh, that sounds fun....and by fun I only mean for me. Everyone else won't have any part in my fun-making.
    My Thraximundar deck is based on Act of Treason-type cards to steal creatures and bash their owners in the face with them before sacrificing them to Culling Dais, High Market, Attrition, or whatever for even more value and counters on Thraximundar. Bonus points if you have a Grave Pact in play.
    Quote from Neo1715
    My Thraximundar deck is based on Act of Treason-type cards to steal creatures and bash their owners in the face with them before sacrificing them to Culling Dais, High Market, Attrition, or whatever for even more value and counters on Thraximundar. Bonus points if you have a Grave Pact in play.

Wow, I never really thought of that before. The Bolas card that controls then sacs seems like it'd fit right in too.
    Quote from Ndarren87
    Wow, I never really thought of that before. The Bolas card that controls then sacs seems like it'd fit right in too.

One of the many joys of Magic - if you can imagine it, there are probably cards that will let you do it. Wink Don't forget Insurrection!
    Autocard Anywhere. Because clicking links is for n00bs.

Quote from Biomechanika
    As a connoisseur of fun, interesting matches, I still to this day have not been able to craft that "perfect deck"; the deck that I can play and have fun over time, doesn't get boring, but simultaneously is fun to play against. I honestly don't think it exists. It's like a unicorn. A ninja unicorn.

Been meaning to post my list for awhile, but I won't have time until Sunday, so here's a paste of it if you're interested in taking a look.

http://pastebin.com/dpUAZd76
    This is an iteration of my Thraxy build (though not the most up-to-date): http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/blood-sacrifice-07-01-13-1/

I have seen largely zombie tribal builds, but I find that boring and predictable. I prefer to utilize Thraxy's sacrifice mechanic, which I make great use of with [[Blood Speaker]], which allows me to tutor for all of my demons Smile

Thraximundar is by far my most favourite general, and the oldest one of mine still being used. He's great for dealing with single threats, has a unique mechanic, and makes for a clear 3-turn threat that your opponents have to deal with, allowing you to then smack them with your deck's win condition. You've made a fine choice, no matter what your build becomes Smile

Welcome to the format!
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes