Land count in EDH decks

I have a question for all you EDH players out there, How many lands to you typically put into an EDH deck?

I know this is question is wholly dependent on what colors the deck is (i.e if its G, less lands and more rampant growth effects), but I just wanted to get a general consensus of the count on behalf of all MTGs users.

As far as me, I've noticed that I tend to put 35-37 lands in a deck, along with 5+ artifact mana fixers:
    Signets and Talismans for multicolored decks,
    Expedition Map, Journeyer's Kite, Darksteel Ingot and Everflowing Chalice in every deck
    Wayfarer's Bauble for non-G decks (since rampant growth is strictly better)
    Extraplanar Lens and Gauntlet of Power for mono-colored decks.
    Trade Binder

Currently Playing:

Legacy:
    RRRBurnRRR
    RRRGoblinsRRR
    WUBRGIchoridWUBRG
    Modern:
    UUUMerfolkUUU
    RRRBurnRRR
    WUBRGCycling EndWUBRG
    EDH:
    WUBRGSliver OverlordGRBUW
    BBBDrana, Kalastria BloodchiefBBB
    WWWLinvala, Keeper of SilenceWWW
    GBSkullbriar, the Walking GraveBG
    GGGOmnath, Locus of ManaGGG
    RRRKiki-Jiki, Mirror BreakerRRR
    WBGGhave, Guru of SporesGBW
    RBUSedris, Traitor KingUBR
    WRGUril, the MistalkerGRW
    RGRosheen MeandererGR
    GWCaptain SisayWG
    UUMemnarchUU

I go 38, with the same stuff that you said. Except that Gilded Lotus is way better than any of the other fixing/accel you listed, and should be on the list.
    Quote from Vermy
    You are only going to hurt your brain trying to get these answers. You would be better off forgetting that Return to Ravnica even has a "story" or what apparently passes as a story these days.

Modern KarnTron

Thanks to V.M.Santore for the great avvy!
    I usually put 40 in most decks. I tend not to factor artifact mana sources into my land count at all because they are so fragile, but I will drop that number if I have enough ramp, down to 35 or so.
    My sig broke.
    35-40 depending on amount of other ramp.
    As a rule of thumb, I count cards that "act as" a land or can find a land with 2 or less mana as lands. After I do so, I sleeve up about 40-42 mana sources
    Cockatrice Alias: Knullset

My Current EDH Decks
    WUBRG Lorwyn Block Horde of Notions WUBRG
    UG Momir Vig Glimpse Combo UG
    UW "Rasputin Dreamcrusher" Control UW
    i run with 68 land in my edh deck, but only cause i'm rolling with Sasaya, Orochi Ascendant as my general
    Congrats to those who have achieved 1,000 posts. You’ve confirmed my belief that forum moderators are really vampires who get you hooked on a forum with wi-fi narcotics then use the time draining machine from the 397th episode of Startrek to gain immortality.

I look forward to killing you soon

Quote from Evil Duck »

Um, I mean being at the center of a giant feel-good-candy fueled orgy would be bad. Drugs are bad.
    I run 35 in my Teneb deck and I'm content. I don't even use Onslaught or Zendikar fetchlands. Mirari's Wake and lots of means of fetching it out helps in any deck that has G and W.
    33 land is equivalent to running 20 land in a 60 card deck.
    Likewise, 42 land is approximately the same as running 25 land in a 60 card deck. Like most other people said, I usually do 35-39 land, depending on how mana hungry it is, how available artifact ramp is, and the like. Use your better judgment, you can always adjust your amount later if need be.
    Decks
    Modern: U/W Tron
    Legacy: Nic Fit
    EDH: Captain Sisay (in progress)
    Cube: ">Cube!
    Casual: Aggro Elves
    40 is the standard number people will give you. That number can go down a little with enough ramp and fixing. Definitely not below 30, though.
    Quote from tedv
    I hear Craw Wurm is banned, which is a shame, because it would be a really good card in 0% of my decks, just like Kokusho.
    I don't think that there is a "consensus" on this but if it helps, I use this rule of thumb: -

1. Assuming a properly curved deck, start with 40 lands
    2. Deduct 1 land for every two mana producing permanents AS LONG AS the permanents do not have a converted mana cost of more than 2 (as such, you may shave 1 land for two Ravnica Signets but shave nothing for Gilded Lotus)
    3. Deduct 1 land for every two card draw or draw fixers (i.e. cards like Brainstorm, Ponder, etc.) AS LONG AS the draw fixers do not have a converted mana cost of more than 2 (as such, you may shave 1 land for a Ponder and a Brainstorm but not for a Careful Consideration)
    4. After all deductions, start playing with the deck. If you notice getting mana screwed a LOT after a few games, add 1 land. If you notice getting mana flooded a LOT after a few games, deduct 1 land.
    5. Repeat step 4 as necessary. Remember to use sufficient randomisation after each games. In addition to step 4, you may also adjust your curve upwards if you mana flood a lot or adjust your curve downwards if you mana screw a lot.

I hope that helps Smile
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes