Metal streaming through our veins...

master of darkness: I have both as physical albums Grin They are the pride of my music collection :p

Quote from Einstein »
    Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -how passionately I hate them!

Quote from Nietzsche »

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

[thread=41221][my extendo sig][/thread] [thread=56664][moderator helpdesk][/thread] [Pen and Paper Inn]
    Just add me on msn if you have any questions or just want to talk Smile
    Quote from the_kist_lich »
    The problem with people like me and Dr. Teeth is our music tastes are extreme metal, and we often find comparatively lighter metal-- please excuse the phrasing-- unenjoyable.

It may come off as elitism or such. Naah. Think of it this way: Some metalheads can't stand rap. Some metalheads can't stand anything but metal. Some don't even like anything that's not a certain type of metal. It's all personal tastes.

you sound like me, almost 20 years ago, changing "extreme" to "thrash", and noting that "comparatively lighter metal" meant glam rock, which was considered metal at the time for some odd reason. and yes, at the time, i did make much fun of those people, and i used to really slam rap fans. but i was 15 then...

"extreme" music is named such for a reason. it's not meant for the masses. speaking condescendingly to others because they do not like your idea of "extreme" music IS elitism at its core. i've looked at everybody's lists, and some people's lists contain many bands that are "lighter" than what i usually listen to, and therefore "unenjoyable" to me. but i will not put down a metal brother \m/ just because they don't get what's so great about a band like dimmu borgir...
    And if I've offended you, I'm sorry, but maybe you need to be offended.

Oh, and I'll probably be gone forever after the site switches to Curse's shell. So whatevers.
    god of cyanide: I like your opinios of not bashing other people for their metal taste Smile

but :p I really dislike Dimmu. Not because of its music really, the music itself is decent. What I dont like is the band itself. they play on a very commercially created satanist theeme to sell more records while not beeing actuall satanists and thus giving satanism a bad name and exploiting a messed up image to make more money (they have said so themselves). Thats just messed up imo.

Quote from Einstein »
    Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism -how passionately I hate them!

Quote from Nietzsche »

The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.

[thread=41221][my extendo sig][/thread] [thread=56664][moderator helpdesk][/thread] [Pen and Paper Inn]
    Although they have strayed away from the hard-metal, my all time favorite band is Disturbed, by a LONG shot.

Rammstein, Iced Earth, Slayer, and Metallica are all bands I love, too. Rammstein especially. Reise Reise is one of the best songs out there, imo. (Although it kinda ruins it if you know what Reise means. It sounds so much cooler as 'Rise' then 'Travel')

Let's talk strategy: [email][email protected][/email]
    Quote from Random-Miser »
    Goyf IS bad in t2.
    Quote from Carrion »
    Jace on the other hand gives you card advantage for no life cost. On the contrary, Jace can actually take some damage for you. I'd think that makes him better than Arena.
    Quote from Jiaozy »
    Once again, rating proves NOTHING.
    Quote from nan »
    but :p I really dislike Dimmu. Not because of its music really, the music itself is decent. What I dont like is the band itself. they play on a very commercially created satanist theeme to sell more records while not beeing actuall satanists and thus giving satanism a bad name and exploiting a messed up image to make more money (they have said so themselves). Thats just messed up imo.

i can understand and respect that. i have a tendency to completely ignore the image in most music because i believe that the majority of bands are either a) totally faking it or b) using it because it will be shocking, and that attracts some people. so it doesn't really bother me why dimmu does what they do.

i've read the satanic bible. i was impressed by la vey's analysis of religious culture but surprised at its overall lack of a real "satan." you could replace "satanic" with "ranosic" or some other made-up word and it could easily be the same stuff. attaching "satan" to it really is just positing yourself squarely in-your-face against the religious establishment.

it's exactly the same thing as madonna on a crucifix. didn't she do that 15 years ago?...
    And if I've offended you, I'm sorry, but maybe you need to be offended.

Oh, and I'll probably be gone forever after the site switches to Curse's shell. So whatevers.
    cyanide: Yeah I know many people with your opinion and mostly I dont care much about image but I make an exception with dimmu because they use something thats twisted by media (something I dislike in the first place) to make more money and that just pisses me off. But yeah their music is not bad, especcially their older albums with norwegian vocals.

Satan: Well, lavey satanism and occult satanism are very different things. That the word satan was chosen in the lavey satanism is partially because of the shock factor and partially because the first people that left the cathoclic church was called satanists by the catholic church so its used as a kind of "spoof" on that. but yes lavey satanism doesnt have any relevance at all to the christian kind of satan, it has satan as more of the natural force of life or so.

btw: I think occult satanist are utterly stupid :p they are on the loosing side and they know it Grin

Quote from Einstein »

Quote from Nietzsche »

People could also realize that Dimmu Borgir has been on with the "commercially created image" since what, 1992? Sometime like that, back when they were actually good (ala Enthrone Darkness Triumphant and prior).

That's like when I saw some random video show nominating Satyricon for "best new artist" in '03. Nevermind the fact that Satyircon's best moments happened a DECADE prior (and that Volcano was horrible). The masses in general just have no respect for the past.

Note that Dimmu themselves have mentioned that the use of the word "Satan" in their lyrics is purely of a symbolic nature, representing what I believe Shagrath referred to as "a greater evil" or "ultimate darkness", though don't quote me on that.
    Maybe i the Future you could say it in anothor way, making sure you type in there that it's just your opinion, so that we don't have top have another argument like that and all get allong.

OR, people could use some common sense and not get their panties in a bind when someone doesn't agree with them, what a concept.

Furthermore:

To all: The problem with people like me and Dr. Teeth is our music tastes are extreme metal, and we often find comparatively lighter metal-- please excuse the phrasing-- unenjoyable.

There is no "problem". I just have a taste in music that I prefer. If I band is good, I recommend it, if it's not, I express that. This could also be due to the fact that I write reviews, and therefore basically get my music for free in exchange for sharing my opinion with the masses. My opinion on bands is always unadulterated. Don't expect me to compromise that so no one gets their feelings hurt.

I don't have a problem with "lighter music", I listen to a lot of it. I have a problem with really bad commercialized bands that just sound similar to one another.
    A: Just making sure you're prepared to get *****ing slaughtered if you A. Scrub Out ... B. Lose ot Gavin Varhey in either Nats or JSS
    B: if i scrub out day 1
    : ill just drop and play in jss
    : and win a 10 grand scholarship
    : gavin =/
    A: and lose to Gavin in round 1 and have to quit magic forever
    B: stop typing the word *** so much
    : if i lose to that queer i will drop right then
    : even if i am x-1
    A: lol
    B: and i will never play magic again
    : no joke
    dr teeth: Dimmu has said in interviews that they just portray a satanic occult image to sell more albums and that they dont belive in it themselves at all.

edit: And there is alot of doom metal that sound miiightily similar to eachother and yes I have heard a fair share of it, I even like som of them and have some doom metal albums.

Quote from Einstein »

Quote from Nietzsche »

Quote from Doctor Teeth »

OR, people could use some common sense and not get their panties in a bind when someone doesn't agree with them, what a concept.

Furthermore:

There is no "problem". I just have a taste in music that I prefer. If I band is good, I recommend it, if it's not, I express that. This could also be due to the fact that I write reviews, and therefore basically get my music for free in exchange for sharing my opinion with the masses. My opinion on bands is always unadulterated. Don't expect me to compromise that so no one gets their feelings hurt.

I don't have a problem with "lighter music", I listen to a lot of it. I have a problem with really bad commercialized bands that just sound similar to one another.

Although I do agree with you, things you say can reach other persons in a way you didn't expect on the internet, I have also said things I didn't feel as offensive and a lot were suddenly offended by it.
    But lets just leave it at that.

What Doom bands do you recommend, I really like My Dying Bride, Opeth and Dimmu Borgir, but I would like to have soom more Doom Metal...

I have both as physical albums Grin They are the pride of my music collection :p

I am so jealous!
    -And now you wil feel the power of the Dark Side-
    -And with Oden on our side we are Victorious!-
    master of darkness: check out katatonia Smile good stuff.

Im trying to get a hold of the japaneese version but there doesnt seem to be any other way then amazon.com and they cost a lot :/

Quote from Einstein »

Quote from Nietzsche »

Quote from Master of Darkness »
    Although I do agree with you, things you say can reach other persons in a way you didn't expect on the internet, I have also said things I didn't feel as offensive and a lot were suddenly offended by it.
    But lets just leave it at that.

People can be weird, can't they?

What Doom bands do you recommend, I really like My Dying Bride, Opeth and Dimmu Borgir, but I would like to have soom more Doom Metal...

One of these is not like the other... Or actually the three bands are nothing alike at all! OMG :p

Good doom (imho of course) includes (but is definitely not limited to):

Swallow the Sun
    Shape of Despair
    Sunn o)))
    Agalloch
    November's Doom
    Saturnus
    Ajattara (this is black, but has a very doomish feel)

While this short list may not be exactly what you're looking for, I think it's perfect if you want to start exploring the various music brought about by the rise of doom in the 90s Cool
    I have a novembers doom album that I got from my moms boyfriend. Its not bad but not entirely my thing. I usually find doom to be a bit boring and a bit lifeless so to say.

Quote from Einstein »

Quote from Nietzsche »

Quote from nan »
    ...bit boring and a bit lifeless so to say.

Man. You need Khante, Bunkur, Wormphlegm, or Torture Wheel.

See my banner, the four above, Skepticism, and Morgion.
    Last edited by the_kist_lich: 5/24/2006 2:05:50 PM
    R R&D U
    -B-

Paradise Lost
    Anathema
    Shape of Despair
    Morgion
    Shroud of Bereavement
    Pantheist
    Ahab
    Swallow the Sun ***

considering your taste
    A: Just making sure you're prepared to get *****ing slaughtered if you A. Scrub Out ... B. Lose ot Gavin Varhey in either Nats or JSS
    Quote from Doctor Teeth »
    Paradise Lost
    Anathema
    Shape of Despair
    Morgion
    Shroud of Bereavement
    Pantheist
    Ahab
    Swallow the Sun ***

considering your taste

Ah yes, I definitely shouldn't have forgotten Ahab.

Something must be noted about the first two on the list: ONLY the earliest 90s releases. Paradise Lost has changed more: it simply turns to absolute crap (the last listenable album is "Draconian Times" afair). Anathema just stops being anything even remotely metal and if you want hard metal from them, you have pretty much no other choice than "Pentecost" and their opus magnum "The Silent Enigma".
    How would you guys classify Opeth? The only thing I could think of was Melodic Death Metal, but they sound nothing like In Flames or the like. Also, the only two truly black metal bands I've listened to are Satyricon and Emperor, and I didn't like either. Are there any other black metal bands I should check out given my musical tastes or is it not for me?
    Official Undead Tabledancer of the mighty Forum Pirates

Friend of the FFFB and the Brits
    Quote from Sol Invictus »
    Something must be noted about the first two on the list: ONLY the earliest 90s releases. Paradise Lost has changed more: it simply turns to absolute crap (the last listenable album is "Draconian Times" afair). Anathema just stops being anything even remotely metal and if you want hard metal from them, you have pretty much no other choice than "Pentecost" and their opus magnum "The Silent Enigma".

I quite like the later PL albums, for what they are. Some prety good stuff to be found on those.

Yeah, Anathema did git a bit weird, but I still like the post-doomy stuff. Not as much as early Anathema, but still, for what it is, it's fine music.

EDIT:Given your taste, Metaller, it's not looking like black metal is for you. Though I'll list some less raw BM bands anyway:

Sargeist, Keep of Kalessin, Sothis, early Dimmu Borgir, Borknagar, Forlorn, Hordes of the Lunar Eclipse, Harvist, Thus Defiled, Old Man's Child, Imperial Crystalline Entombment, later Immortal, Ancient, Sumeria, Horn of Valere

Something along those lines may appeal to you, but it's probably a genre you'll not like in the end.
    Last edited by Doctor Teeth: 5/24/2006 5:15:09 PM
    Thanx to Doctor Teeth and Sol Invictus.
    -And now you wil feel the power of the Dark Side-
    -And with Oden on our side we are Victorious!-
    Quote from Metaller »
    How would you guys classify Opeth? The only thing I could think of was Melodic Death Metal, but they sound nothing like In Flames or the like.

They're progressive metal, with melodic and non-melodic vocals and instrumentals depending on the movement. They sound nothing like the bands one usually thinks of when they think of prog metal, but that's because they're unique no matter where you stick them. They're definitely progressive metal.

It's like the classification "bird." All your life, the only birds you know about are chickens. Then, one day, an eagle comes along. The eagle is nothing like the chicken, and so at first, the instinct is to say that the eagle is not a bird. But a closer look reveals that the eagle is completely within the definition of "bird," and no other classification suffices.
    linebreak

GoodGamery.com
    mtg - satire - photoshoppery - strategy - arcade - PMO comics - chat
    Opeth = Progressive Death

Though recently they've been focusing more on the progressive elements, which is rather bland. Their last album was quite a boring one, and the departure of Martin Lopez is disheartening to say the least.
    Last edited by big_boss: 11/5/2013 1:12:23 AM
    Quote from Metaller »
    How would you guys classify Opeth? The only thing I could think of was Melodic Death Metal, but they sound nothing like In Flames or the like. Also, the only two truly black metal bands I've listened to are Satyricon and Emperor, and I didn't like either. Are there any other black metal bands I should check out given my musical tastes or is it not for me?

yeah, probably not for you. I actually hate the stuff.

hey, who hates Rammstein?
    *descends from the clouds

Hooray!

Myspace, I'm a really hot chick!
    Caractarantula: Rammstein is a pice of crap Grin Techno mixed with metal and ugly german vocals and ****ty lyrics. It doesnt get much worse :p

Quote from Einstein »

Quote from Nietzsche »

Last edited by big_boss: 11/5/2013 1:11:49 AM
    I agree with nan. Rammstein is a really lame band.
    By the way, my favourite bands are Iron Maiden, Hammerfall, Manowar, Dragonforce, Children of Bodom, Norther, Ensiferum, Wintersun, Helloween, and Lake of Tears.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes