Cockatrice Project Receives C&D Letter from Hasbro

Due to a 'Legal Dispute' Cockatrice is no longer available for use.

http://cockatrice.de/

We're down for the moment due to a legal dispute.

Is the only thing showing on the Home Page.
    I think we can all guess 'why?'.

UPDATE:

As of 2/27 the Homepage Reads:

I have received a letter from a law firm representing Hasbro Germany, expressing a strong feeling of dislike for our project, backed up with legal claims. Regardless of whether the claims they are making are factually correct or not, I have agreed to shut down the project in its current form. As soon as this is completely sorted out, development work will be put into keeping alive the code base in such a way that it can be used for other purposes.

I deeply appreciate all the support from the community and hope to see all of you again soon. I will keep you posted if there are any news.

2013/02/27
    Max-Wilhelm Bruker <[email protected]>

This confirms that the C&D did indeed come from Hasbro. As of right now the only thing unavailable is the Mainserver (and i assume the auto-update since they're linked?)

Also from his forum post:

I have received what you might call a C&D letter from Hasbro's lawyers. I say "what you might call" because not only do they want me to shut down, but they also require me to sign a form that basically says I will have to pay a yet unspecified amount of damages. I do believe most of their claims are wrong though. The deadline for sending back this form had already passed when I got the letter in my hands, so I'll have to sort this out with the lawyers first as soon as they're available. I'll keep you posted.

They also want money for "damages".

Other servers are available for playing on
    particularly:
    play.woogerworks.com
    Port 4747
    Last edited by Fargsby: 2/28/2013 2:13:18 PM
    That's really unfortunate. I hope they're able to provide more details soon.
    My Website and Videos

Currently Playing

Standard
    GWBJunk TokensBWG

Modern
    GURScapeshiftRUG
    BGRDredgevineRGB
    URSTORM!RU
    UWTezzeret ControlWU

Legacy
    BWStonebladeWB
    BUGBUG ControlGUB
    http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/showthread.php?p=9845651
    @TheTogaras people should play more games and the world would be a safer place
    Not a surprise, but it sucks all the same.
    Legacy Decks I Currently Play
    red mana blue mana Sneak and Show
    white mana Death and Taxes

Quote from Snobby Bok Choy
    Not a surprise, but it sucks all the same.

After seeing them go after Magic Drafting Simulation style sites, i suppose it's not.

I wonder where they draw the line?: Tappedout for example, has a way to play out your deck in a virtual table like on Cockatrice (you do, however, lack an opponent)

I, personally, don't want to shell out for digital copies of cards so that i can playtest in my boxers.
    What?

Don't they like free advertising?
    woogerworks.de seems to not be working. Anyone else know another server?
    Legacy Decks
    UB Reanimator
    BUG Control
    RUB Control
    RBurn
    RUG Canadian Thresh
    UR Delver
    UBW Tin Fins
    The old Hasbro work over huh? Guess they couldn't just keep their C&D letters to the bronies...
    Move it to China or something. Seriously I'm never paying for MTGO just to test decks I'm going to use in real life.
    Damn it

I have pretty very busy these last few months and was planning on taking the time over the weekend to do some brewing on it!

DAMN IT
    Look, I don't know if it'll do any good, but I'm starting a petition to Hasbro to reverse this.

https://www.change.org/petitions/hasbro-drop-charges-against-cockatrice
    If you wish to get a hold of me:
    dechs.kaison [at] gmail [dot] com

I moved my Primer. MTGS has Died to Removal.

Quote from cryogen
    You magnificent bastard.
    That's too bad. I hope they don't get hit to hard. I don't know if Cockatrice was making money. That would definitely not go over well in court in their favor. Uhh Neither would it help if they copied software, code, UI, etc.
    This is stupid. I will never pay for magic online. All this does is make it a pain for me to playtest decks with my roommates. Now I need to pull out the old ad cards (the ones that you can get instead of a token) and a silver sharpie and make all proxy decks like we used to two years ago. That's not fun. Nobody wants to do that.
    Hasbro sure is on a C&D spree. First they pull the plug on the fan-made MLP fighting game, and now it looks like Cockatrice is next on the firing line.
    Quote from CogitoErgoSum
    woogerworks.de seems to not be working. Anyone else know another server?

use: play.woogerworks.com It is still working ;D
    -Jaralthazar-
    Back to the good Ol' MWS client I guess?
    Piloting:

BW(G) Junkblade - Legacy
    BW Vial Deadguy - Legacy
    UWR Geist - Modern
    UR(B) Delver - Modern
    W(G) Death & Taxes - Modern
    Oona, Queen of the Fae - EDH

Quote from Tiax
    In other news, crazy nitwits playing dress-up have also convicted the Hamburglar, the Cookie Crisp Crook, and the Frito Bandito of sundry snack-related thefts.

Seriously, what about this strikes you as remotely worthy of discussion?
    From a cockatrice mod on Reddit:

Right, I'll tell you what I know (which isn't much).
    Hasbro sent Brukie a big letter. What was in this letter, I don't know the specifics of.
    But the gist of it is, Brukie could be made to pay "unspecified but possibly huge amounts of money"
    He's now waiting to hear from his legal counsel.
    Whether or not Cockatrice will be able to go back up is unknown. Right now I'd imagine the priority is for Brukie to reach a settlement with Hasbro.
    Here it is in his own words.
    I have received what you might call a C&D letter from Hasbro's lawyers. I say "what you might call" because not only do they want me to shut down, but they also require me to sign a form that basically says I will have to pay a yet unspecified amount of damages. I do believe most of their claims are wrong though. The deadline for sending back this form had already passed when I got the letter in my hands, so I'll have to sort this out with the lawyers first as soon as they're available. I'll keep you posted.
    UPDATE: There appears to have been some sort of settlement in which Brukie avoids having to pay damages. They just want him to shut down the project.
    It's the end of Cocktatrice as we know it!
    Fine, we'll just migrate back to MWS and keep laughing.
    [I was permabanned and all I got to show for it was .... well, nothing.]
    **** Hasbro.. I'm of the opinion they need to shut down themselves. Give WotC Back it's **** from before they invaded. WotC Made huge amounts of money, even before hasbro got their greedy mits on it. Now, they're killing everything the players hold dear... Anyone else have the idea to boycott and tell them they're ****ing themselves with these decisions?

Only one way to make a Huge corporation realize it's fallacies is to deny them customers and **** on their kellogs. Otherwise, they're going to continue this tirade and destroy the game we know and love.
    Ravarshi Kashaku, Ancient Dragon of the Darkened Realms;
    The Merciless Lord of Torture, Permanently Bound To: ">[THE PACK] 11/5/63 - 11/25/09 Goodbye mom, i'll always love you...

Tibalt & His Devils vs. Avacyn's Inquisitors

My EDH decklists
    Quote from Ravarshi
    **** Hasbro.. I'm of the opinion they need to shut down themselves. Give WotC Back it's **** from before they invaded. WotC Made huge amounts of money, even before hasbro got their greedy mits on it. Now, they're killing everything the players hold dear... Anyone else have the idea to boycott and tell them they're ****ing themselves with these decisions?

Only one way to make a Huge corporation realize it's fallacies is to deny them customers and **** on their kellogs. Otherwise, they're going to continue this tirade and destroy the game we know and love.

I guess I am out of the loop . . . what are the other things we "hold dear" that Hasbro has killed???
    CHERRY
    Looks like I'll be using Google Hangouts a lot more. It will be a pain to manually proxy decks though.
    Quote from rline
    Looks like I'll be using Google Hangouts a lot more. It will be a pain to manually proxy decks though.

What??? How is this done?
    Originally posted by Rywads Having a foiled set of avacyn's pilgrims must be on the same level as a dude who puts expensive spinner hubcaps on an old Honda Civic.

EDH-
    Shattergang BothersGBR Kaalia the Vast RBW Pillowpants the Blackblade, Troll of the PillowfortBUW Jarad Golgari Lich Lord's Pet CemeteryGB (Retired)
    Ghave Guru of SporesGBW (Retired)
    Jenara, Asura of WarGWU Norin the WayR Rhys the RedeemedGW Oloro, Ageless AsceticBUW
    Ezuri, Renegade LeaderG
    Quote from Prometheus5429
    What??? How is this done?

You play paper Magic by using Google Hangout's video chat, methinks. I've heard of folks doing it, but it's awfully awkward from what I understand.
    EDH - currently playing:

52-creature Animar :symu::symr::symg:
    Jor Kadeen, the Prevailer :symw::symr:
    Varolz, the Scar-Striped :symb::symg:
    Teysa Token Beats :symw::symb: - retired
    Kresh's Fightin' Round the World :symb::symr::symg: - retired

Quote from Phil
    Also, watching people rifle shuffle decks, then chapin spaz their hand when playing with beta duals makes me want to punch them.
    You play paper Magic by using Google Hangout's video chat, methinks. I've heard of folks doing it, but it's awfully awkward from what I understand.

Bismuth described it exactly. Things can be awkward since you're doing it through the cam and you do not always get the traditional in person view of the table and the player.

I'd hate to resort to doing it over Cockatrice, but sometimes you gotta test and no one is available.
    Eh, goodbye my old personal brewing station. Not that I'll miss the ragequitters, rulebreakers, ruleinventors, ruleagnostics and the rest of the community (two or three guys), but, the tool was great.

(Give your LGS judge a hug. He deserves it.)

Nothing. All I want is Heroes vs. Monsters spoilers.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes