MTGCast #91 - More Bad News?

This thread is for the discussion of my latest article, MTGCast #91 - More Bad News?. We would be grateful if you would let us know what you think, but please keep your comments on topic.

Former MTGSalvation Administrator
    Please direct any administrative questions or concerns to the current administrative team. Thanks!

Come check out my blog on Magic and game design: Design Space!

Image removed due to its file extension: http://students.washington.edu/nweiz/a/rotate.php
    Your code is broken and thus unable to play the cast.
    Co-host to Recast(on Hiatus)-Battlestation builder at Dies To Removal-Chat Admin for the MTGS Community on Diablo III
    Battle.Net Armory-|-My Youtube channel-|-My Imgur for desk/computer/battlestation pics
    Comp/desk Log at Dies To Removal
    Few things will be added and updated
    Due to the pure awesomeness that is Woapalanne, the code is fixed and the player is there!!!

Viva Woapalanne!
    Last edited by pitimp: 2/12/2008 4:43:41 PM
    MTGCast.com - Home of Monday Night Magic
    MTGCast Facebook Group
    MTGCast Twitter Feed
    My fav land? Definitely Miren, the Moaning Well. It was always good times when this came into play. It gains you life(I know life gain is for noobs but I like it), its a sac engine, and its pretty. I used to use it with Debtor's Knell and Kokusho and possibly Goryo's Vengeance(if it was in hand). Grin Occasionally I'd take a Wrong Turn and forget it was in play. >.

Commander Decks Played:Sharuum, the Digimon|Teneb, the Garbage Man|Rhys the Ex-Boyfriend
    Were their parrot's screeching in the background? Seriously, it sounded like one of you was in a bird cage?

Great show though guys.

My favorite land of all time is: Elephant Graveyard.
    I pulled one out of a pack of Arabian Nights and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I looked around for elephants to play and every time a new expansion came out I scanned it for elephants... Can you imagine my excitement with Lorwyn? With Changelings, my Elephant Graveyard and Swarmyard ( a.k.a. Elephant Graveyard II) Finally do something useful(ish)
    Last edited by Galspanic: 2/12/2008 7:47:14 PM
    Quote from Galspanic
    Were their parrot's screeching in the background? Seriously, it sounded like one of you was in a bird cage?

Great show though guys.

Good ears Galspanic and Gavin does have some sort of large bird and it's name is Rocket.
    MTGCast.com - Home of Monday Night Magic
    MTGCast Facebook Group
    MTGCast Twitter Feed
    Show was awesome, i'm glad i DID get to listen to it this morning as i love my MNM in the morning (tues to me). Refering to it being live, if it was 2 in the morn i'm sure i'd be up but 3 going on 4... i'm dedicated but i'm sure my gf would be annoyed (laptop in bed). Though maybe 3 other guys voices in bed may be interesting. Wink

Annoyingly i'm sure i had a lot more to write after listening, but i had to go straight out. Though the shows are always good enough for a second more light listening so i'm sure i'll be commenting again later.

Favourite land, Pendelhaven, much like Gavin with Urza's factory, i amongst my group was always like, everyone with creature decks (like control with urza's) will play this. I've played it in almost every aggro deck i've played from my rubbishy first green spirit deck (pumping child of thorns and hana kami) to my first goblin deck to my current.
    Top reasons to love it, first is, so many people forget it's +1/+2, saved me from battles with bears and being shocked so many times
    Second is, Green is such a great colour to splash, especially for a red mage, even before 'goyf i needed G for enchantment removal and G has the best.

Also, in kith, good land when i played mistmeadow skulk and Gaddock Teeg

And even in the waterworld of blue decks, splashing with pendelhaven for elves is quite nice.
    Current Decks:

Cruel Control
    RRDWR
    First of all Tom, I found a method of fixing the combo, last week. For the second time:

Add in a Mirror Gallery and an Animate Artifact.

Play the Mirror Gallery and target it with the Animate Artifact, and thus it is a 5/5 artifact creature WITH ITS ABILITIES.

Then play your "non-combo", and Titania's Song is unable to strip the 5/5 Mirror Gallery Creature of its ability.

So you'll have a 5/5 creature with the ability "The Legend Rule doesn't Apply", and can have both 1,000,000/1,000,000 Gleemax Creatures in play.

As far as my favorite land, it has to be Terramorphic Expanse. Not only is it a perfect low budget mana fixer, But it thins out your deck, and if you throw in a Rings of Brighthearth you can thin out 2 lands for 2 mana.

I also love Desert, Mouth of Ronom and Quicksand. I love lands that have effects other than mana, especially when they assist with creature control.

Open Water.

One other thing, Gavin, Augur of Skulls wasn't in Fifth Dawn, It was in Future Sight.
    Last edited by GigElf: 2/12/2008 9:10:58 PM
    Gigelf's right.. i think, then the combo would work, YAY!!

favorite land is tough.. most of the oldies from when the game first came out are golden (yea.. i know), personaly i like land art more then its ability...but thats just my opinion

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale really stands out for me. And i know u guys mentioned it, as well as a bunch of other people. But something about a mist shrouded chapellike building with a kickbutt ability takes the cake

BUTBoseiju, Who Shelters All is even better, because unlike the Tabernacle, it takes the...thingy above the cake, which is..ugh... better then the cake. Yea, thats it, *yumm*
    The Boseiju reminds me of Unstoppable Ash..which as we all know IS SO MUCH UNSTOPABLE
    (its a long story.. though i do miss the guy...who made it up.. not the Ash itself.. no, that would just be silly) so, all in all, tree's are generally pretty cool things, *GO FORESTS*

though as awesome as boseiju is.. not even it could stop me from wanting 2 hours back of my life after watching Shrek 2... sorry, but it was just soooo bad.. American humor is rarely THAT funny..(try the british :))
    Last edited by saintskeith: 2/14/2008 8:08:57 PM
    I must say that my favorite land of all time is probably Dark Depths. Why? Who doesn't enjoy getting a 20/20 flying black indestructible avatar creature token named Marit Lage? Sure, it may not produce mana, and it takes 30 mana to get that monster. But hey, who doesn't need a nice mana sink that occasionally just wins the game on turn four? Not even the Cloverfield monster could drop this monster. And hey, who doesn't want to pair this up with a nice foily Contested Cliffs.

Also, I just want everybody to know exactly how fun it is to play Liliana and Jace together as finishers in a U/B EvokeControl deck. Soooo much fun drawing with Jace and then making them discard. Or tutoring with Liliana and drawing with Jace. Or milling with Jace and then reanimating. XD
    Death Vish | High on Crackblade | Ooze the Boss | Long Live the King | Fomori Face Fister
    Brunal Legend | Hazezon First | Cirrhosis of the Sliver | Animar Planet | The Joy of Pain-ting
    Quote from GigElf

One other thing, Gavin, Augur of Skulls wasn't in Fifth Dawn, It was in Future Sight.

I thought he said that, but wasn't that off the back of Tom mentioning Fifth Dawn in his utterance before.
    Though hearing it, i only really heard the Ffff... and was "huh,wah,uh" but then the combo was cool so i got distracted.
    Personally i'd like that combo with Emberwilde Augur. Though, i guess for the mana you could've always play a burn spell anyway... still it would be cooler.
    Current Decks:

Cruel Control
    RRDWR
    My favorite land is probably Graven Cairns.

I have been screaming for 2 years about how there should be a land that allows you to channel a different color mana and have 2 mana of the other color. I entered it into various create a card contests, and always failed. I called them spreadlands to give the flavor and effect of one land flavor spreading across another's. When future sight spoilers started to pop up, I seen Nimbus Maze and started screaming "They almost got it right!!!" then I seen Graven Cairns and was like "THATS IT!! ONLY BETTER!!"

Now we just need the rest of the cycle so I can use 4 of them in a UW control deck. Nimbus maze is fail.

Current Decks:
    Mono W Soldier Tribal
    U splash B Pickles Teachings
    MGA Haste & Force
    Don't know if you guys saw the latest update on MTGO, but it's looking like Version III won't be up until the mid-end of March.

I'm glad they decided to Release Morningtide on V 2.5. I would hate to have to wait for them to debug V. III before getting to play Morningtide Leagues.

Any predictions on when V.III will be up? I'm thinking early April, but then again I'm not really the optimistic type.

EDIT: What's replacing the Mirror Universe as the 75 Post Prize?
    Last edited by GigElf: 2/12/2008 9:12:46 PM
    Quote from saintskeith
    Gigelf's right.. i think, then the combo would work, YAY!!

favorite land is tough.. most of the oldies from when the game first came out are golden (yea.. i know), personaly i like land art more then its ability...but thats just my opinion

The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale really stands out for me. And i know u guys mentioned it, as well as a bunch of other people. But something about a mist shrouded chapellike building with a kickbutt ability takes the cake

BUTBoseiju, Who Shelters All is even better, because unlike the Tabernacle, it takes the...thingy above the cake, which is..ugh... better then the cake. Yea, thats it, *yumm*
    The Boseiju reminds me of Unstoppable Ash..which as we all know IS SO MUCH UNSTOPABLE
    (its a long story.. though i do miss the guy) so, all in all, tree's are generally pretty cool things, *GO FORESTS*

though as awesome as boseiju is.. not even it could stop me from wanting 2 hours back of my life after watching Shrek 2... sorry, but it was just soooo bad.. American humor is rarely THAT funny..(try the british :))

Ah..... Good 'ol Boseiju, Who Makes Blue Cry. (And coincidentally gets around Dovescape!)

Quote from Psientologist
    I thought he said that, but wasn't that off the back of Tom mentioning Fifth Dawn in his utterance before.
    Though hearing it, i only really heard the Ffff... and was "huh,wah,uh" but then the combo was cool so i got distracted.
    Personally i'd like that combo with Emberwilde Augur. Though, i guess for the mana you could've always play a burn spell anyway... still it would be cooler.

Between my generally poor speaking skills, the static of the podcast, and the mysteriously labeled "Tom effect", It could have really have been realistically sounded like anything from Future Sight to Koopa Fight. I've already received multiple angry e-mails from higher ups who misunderstood the word that I said and are asking how I managed to know the name of the 2009 Magic block. Wink

Former MTGSalvation Administrator
    Please direct any administrative questions or concerns to the current administrative team. Thanks!

Come check out my blog on Magic and game design: Design Space!

Image removed due to its file extension: http://students.washington.edu/nweiz/a/rotate.php
    favorite land card eh...
    mines gonna be goblin burrows because of all the fun i had when i started playing using it with spikeshot goblin. i remember pinging for 3 a turn got me really excited.
    My favorite land is Karakas, mostly because of its art and flavor text.

I wish the original dual lands had flavor text, because then they would truly be the best dual lands ever.
    The one land that means the most to me is Rhystic Cave. I first saw it when my brother bought some packs of Prophecy, Exodus, and Visions "for fun" because he just heard about the game. I was only 10 then and only knew how to play Pokemon, so I had no clue how to play Magic. Rhystic Cave was the only land he received from the boosters, and thus it was only land I saw until three years later. I knew there was something called "mana" and, since it was the only card with such an ability, I guessed it only came from lands. I was, though, more intrigued by the art, the card frame, and the flavor text. The card picture was beautiful (as I thought with many of the other cards my brother opened, but especially this), and I noticed the glints of hue upon the crystals, getting a slight understanding of where the mana comes from. The flavor text really did it for me. "All mages dip into the same well; some are just in more of a hurry." The concepts of mages and them drawing mana from the well made me realize that Magic was a battle of wizards who draw their power from the land.

Of course, now I understand that Rhystic Cave is quite underpowered, and I have it now since my brother never got into Magic, but still, whenever I'm building a deck and come across it in the back of my land pile, I hesitate for a moment, pondering for a second whether or not I should add it.
    While the State's thing doesn't apply to me (a casual player), It still does suck. Most of my constructed friends really enjoy them. I personally think They're trying to push MTGO for competive scence... but that's just me.
    Thank guys, I always love telling that story :D. I added Proper burial to the combo to gain 2 mil life.
    Currently Running:
    Modern:
    Burn
    8-Racks

Brewing:
    Modern Haakon
    Modern 20-Ones
    Legacy Meathooks
    A great Podcast guys! I really Enjoy listening to your great combos!

My all time favorite land? hmm... let me ponder on that... City of ass has a special place in my heart because of the art and flavor of the land... I Idolize John Avon and I always laugh at the slit in the text box of the card. So does R&D's secret lair just because john Avon did it.... But my all time favorite land is Strip mineIts a land that hates lands!
    Another great show this week... though I do miss Dom. Things have been rather negative since he left too... with all of the organize play changes happening. We need an awesome news week.

For my fave land, I'm going to dig back to the old school. Maze of Ith was the most awesome land back at the casual table. It would usually lock one person out of combat and make the guys with out one take the damage. It was such a great card to have on the table. There are a ton of lands since then that I'd consider better/more useful/maybe even new favorites, but the Maze of Ith made too much of an early impact to not get the nod here.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0131534/
    Hm, my favorite land... To tell you the truth, my favorite is Mountain Valley, from Mirage, for no reason whatsoever other than the very nice art on it... Smile

Good show as usual, guys. Tom sounded a little garbled at times, but everything was solid content-wise.

Land-wise, I'd have to say Winding Canyons is an old favorite of mine. Here's why:

As any combo player in a group setting knows, once your deck is recognized, you really have only one or two turns to go off. Even if all you have in play are basic lands, if they match your combo and someone recognizes it, it's "Oh, that deck again. Everyone, listen. He'll go off next turn or the one after. Kill him now."

I had this problem with a deck that used Phyrexian Altar, Mortuary, Fecundity, and Ornithopter to fuel an arbitrarily large Fireball. Adding the Winding Canyons and changing the Fireball and Altar to Goblin Bombardment allowed me to go off on someone else's turn, and changed up the combo enough that it wasn't recognized as quickly. However, the deck was retired and dismantled after it "won" a 8-player game and the group consensus was that they'd rather just say I won and keep playing than start over. Three hours of not playing later, I'd learned not to play combo in large groups.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0338763/
    The original was awesome, but the sequel is so bad. Two hours of my life that I really do want back.
    International Magic Judge (Level 4)
    Former US Southwest Regional Coordinator

Favorite cards of all time:
    Overall - Peacekeeper
    Flavor text - Blazing Archon
    Thank you very much for the Mirror Universe guys! I actually played against one of those Monday night. After City Champs, we tend to cube draft for fun, and one of my cohorts had one on the table pretty much every game.

I'm gonna go with the Unhinged Island as my favorite land, followed closely by the other Unhinged and Unglued lands. They don't do anything special, but they sure do look nice.

Snakes on a Plane. I thought it would be so bad, it's good. You know, kind of a cult classic you can laugh at? Not even close. Painful. Gotta go scrub my eyeballs now.

thanks,

-doc
    This podcast was definitely A Walk to remember! Lots of content, lots of fun! It really came together nicely.

My favourite land card of all time is definitely Bazaar of Baghdad. Though I don't own any copy of it, I play 4 proxies of it in my Vintage Manaless Ichorid deck. There's nothing quite like going Bazaar, now I have 8 cards, discard 2 dredge cards and an Ichorid, at EOT I'll cycle this Street Wraith and dredge 6, on my upkeep I'll let the Ichorid trigger go on stack, dredge for 11, getting two Narcomoebas into play. Then my draw step begins... :p
    What amazing things one can find when browsing this forum! Here's one on evolution:

Quote from WhoeverUsesBirdsReapsGame »
    Actually, the whole motivation for the field is the effort to invalidate the Christian tenet of individual self-determination, and replace it with aristocratic elitism. It seeks to undermine independence as the foundation of the social contract, and replace it with fascist, intellectualist central planning.
    Nicely done, that was one of the best shows to date. It was all there, comedy, drama, a rant, card drawing, math, arm injuries, a car chase (with some "artistic license", i.e. willful misinterpretation) ...
    Did you have some kind of contest who'd manage to eek in most instances of "exciting"? Grin

Alone in the Dark. There are better films by amateurs on youtube. Seriously, choose a random one. It's better, if only 'cause it's shorter. The only chance this guy has of being known in fifty years is to become the new Ed Wood, and even that I find unlikely.
    (I see he's doing Bloodrayne 3. I haven't seen the first one and didn't know it had an abortion. I'd consider watching it but I really don't want do drink enough alcohol to make a Boll movie good. I just might decide it'd be preferable to skip right forward to delirium, and then Uwe wins. Damn, Alone in the Dark 2? Why don't DVD players spontaniously become self-aware just long enough to form a union against him?)

As for land, anything I can pitch to Mox Diamond and can regrow with Crucible or get back with Loam.
    No?
    Damn. Well, it was worth a try.
    I guess it would be Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, despite having to contend with duals, Strips, fetchies, and others. The card is very subtle yet deceptively useful in the right deck at the same time. It just fixes your mana until you have that Coffers or Tendrils. Of course, if it allows you to Pox two turns earlier, that's already huge. (Another such card is Flagstones. All it does is replace itself and thin your deck a bit. Until you have Crucible and Smokestack in play, at which point it does broken things.)
    Also, to put it bluntly, kill a god and there's blood everywhere :mad1: :mad1: :mad1:
    There's a lot more going on than meets the eye at first glance - Tendrils and fixing, yeah, but what about refitting Mazes with mana abilities, Wastes with color, preventing pain from fetchies and painlands, swampwalk, and lots of individual cards like Cabal Coffers or Infernal Harvest. I like cards with such widespread possibilities (compare it to Pendelhaven or Karakas).
    It's also a very fresh ability on a land, one that should have been done long ago. Joiner Adept booo! I particularly like how it retroactively forces Mazes and Tabernacles to fit the rule about lands producing mana (without having to ditch it like poor ol' Riftstone Portal, he was born like that, nobody's fault really). Take that, Adventurer's Guildhouse!

Btw, I don't like this approach to the comments question, I always feel like leaving something out and it's actually hard to decide. There's mana-less lands (Tabernacle, Maze), mana engines (Academy), fixing (errr ... you think of only one), utility/removal/LD (Pendelhaven, Megaliths, ), combo (Cephalid Coliseum, Petrified Field, Glacial Chasm), creatures (Factory, Treetop), and probably some more.

@ poison:
    There have been a lot of really good suggestions how to make poison work on the message boards. Don't take me wrong, I don't like poison, either. But MaRo has stated that he knows which block it'll appear in (leading, of course, to endless speculations), which I take as a subtle hint that there will be one Wink
    I look forward to seeing how the as-is sucky mechanic will be implemented since it's one with so many problems and R&D will try their best to make sure it doesn't suck big time (especially since they bashed it repeatedly on their own website).
    For Eternal as well as Extended, the hypothetic usage of poison as a drawback is especially intruiging.
    Please note that while "Ad Nauseam" literally means "to the point of nausea", "Ad Nauseum" means "to a place closely associated with nausea", with nauseum being a nonsensical neologism with unpleasent connotations.

And although a storm combo pilot may at times feel as if trapped by artillery fire, Ethersworn Canonist has nothing to do with Cannons.

Thank you.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes