MTGCast #90: MTGO III release paused. Again.

If he counts as a monster than my favorite movie monster of all time is Dr. Zaius, from Planet of the Apes. It's just such a brilliantly good movie.

As for my favorite artifact of all time, it has to be Barl's Cage. While this card is in no way good it was a key cog of one of my favorite decks of all time. Back in the days after chronicles I first started to get the bug for building goofy decks and the first one I decided to build was an all artifact deck. I had been misled about the rule of 4 and was told that you could have as many lands as you wanted, so my deck had 20 tron pieces in it. And the group I played in allowed mana-seeding and was almost always a big multiplayer game. So being able to lock down basically all of my opponents creatures for three mana a pop was awesome. And to do this at a time when there still weren't many cards with an all artifact deck with. And I was a 7th grader so my magic budget was limited. So to have a card that could complete dominate the multiplayer games was absolutely awesome.
    My cube thread: My Half-Japanese Cube
    Another good show, gentlemen. I'm sorry I missed the live version.

It seems that a lot of the discussion about the PT changes has revolved around the question of Wizards' financial stability, fueling low-level (but constant) concerns about the long-term viability of the professional side of the game. I've heard/read this not only on MTGcast and the constantly annoying "Magic is dying" threads on various boards around the web, but also among other significant Magic meta-shapers on StarCityGames, Gleemax, the players' union, and others.

Honestly, though, I'm a little wary and weary of this line of thinking. In my region, we've usually had just one PTQ for each season, with turnout hitting somewhere between 60-100 players. This season, we've got three PTQs for Hollywood, two in the usual 2-hour drive range, and one that's a 10-minute walk from my front door. The first one (just a couple weeks ago) had almost 200 players.

To help clarify my understanding of Magic's financial state, I did a little Googling and found that Hasbro will be webcasting a conference call on its latest financials summary for investors and the media on Monday, February 11 at 8:30 am EST. Granted, this is Wizards' parent company, and the financial health of one isn't necessarily indicative of the other's well-being. However, it's likely that they'll highlight their best and worst performing divisions, and I'll be interested to see what comes from these figures.

Essentially, though, I'm not all that worried about the financial state of the game's maker. I do concede that being a part of Hasbro certainly has the potential to stretch Wizards' budget for things like the PT as their revenue now finances an additional tier of corporate execs and the attendant bureaucracy.

If it comes out that the financials are fine, though, I think a number of the critics of the PT changes will need to retract a certain amount of their fearmongering and simply accept that the PT changes will have been made for other reasons than financial instability.

What those reasons are, I can't speculate, but I have seen a strong increase in Wizards' support for local tournaments like City Champs, Gold Tier, Summer of Magic, stronger release tourneys, and similar programs in the last year.

The players' union, though, can still have a strong and valid purpose regardless of the answer to the financial question. Players need to be told what's going on, and they need to know that the game's makers are committed to supporting them in the face of competing priorities for Hasbro, market forces, organizers, and Mothra.

As for a favorite artifact, I'd have to say Sensei's Divining Top. Back when CHK first came out, I was a casual player (occasional FNM, mostly kitchen table "Type 0" games). I picked up a couple of tops (one of them foil, for $1.50!) and threw them into a mono-blue milling deck I'd made up. The deck ran Helm of Awakening to power out Mesmeric Orb, Thought Dissector, and Altar of Dementia (with Reins of Power).

In the middle of a game with my roommate, I accidentally ran into the infinite milling combo when I tapped one top, drew the other one, played it, and then my roommate said "Hey, I think you did that out of order. You're supposed to draw the card first so you don't get the top back right away." Hit by this flash of insight, I immediately thanked him and, a googolplex of iterations later, I tapped one island for a Brain Freeze.
    International Magic Judge (Level 4)
    Former US Southwest Regional Coordinator

Favorite cards of all time:
    Overall - Peacekeeper
    Flavor text - Blazing Archon
    Quote from planar_guide
    As for a favorite artifact, I'd have to say Sensei's Divining Top. Back when CHK first came out, I was a casual player (occasional FNM, mostly kitchen table "Type 0" games). I picked up a couple of tops (one of them foil, for $1.50!) and threw them into a mono-blue milling deck I'd made up. The deck ran Helm of Awakening to power out Mesmeric Orb, Thought Dissector, and Altar of Dementia (with Reins of Power).

In the middle of a game with my roommate, I accidentally ran into the infinite milling combo when I tapped one top, drew the other one, played it, and then my roommate said "Hey, I think you did that out of order. You're supposed to draw the card first so you don't get the top back right away." Hit by this flash of insight, I immediately thanked him and, a googolplex of iterations later, I tapped one island for a Brain Freeze.

Yeah, go Top Defenders! Grin Nice story though, I've always loved "accidental" combos.
    What amazing things one can find when browsing this forum! Here's one on evolution:

Quote from WhoeverUsesBirdsReapsGame »
    Actually, the whole motivation for the field is the effort to invalidate the Christian tenet of individual self-determination, and replace it with aristocratic elitism. It seeks to undermine independence as the foundation of the social contract, and replace it with fascist, intellectualist central planning.
    Bombo of the week
    Titania's Song, Mirror Gallery, Gleemax, Copy Artifact

Hate to break it to you Gavin, but even with four cards, this isn't a combo. Titania's song says

"Each noncreature artifact loses its abilities and becomes an artifact creature with power and toughness each equal to its converted mana cost. If Titania's Song leaves play, this effect continues until end of turn."

So mirror gallery will not be a 5 mana artifact with "The legend rule does not apply", it will be a 5 mana 5/5 artifact creature with no abilities, and your pair of 1,000,000/1,000,000 Legendary Artifact Creatures named Gleemax with no abilities will still explode.

For a more reasonable way to get two animated Gleemax, try
    Gleemax + Titania's Song + Sakashima the Impostor

Now I don't have time to think of a favorite artifact, I'll just go ahead and say that Sakashima copying an animated gleemax is my favorite artifact ever. That, or Sakashima copying Mecha-Godzilla.
    My favorite artifact ever is Sands of Time, first of all it does slow creatures down, giving them super summoning sickness and i had a fenzy casual combo deck, with it. The main combo was Sands of Time + Equipoise. Since a lot of the people wont know those cards:

Sands of Time
    Artifact
    Each player skips his or her untap step.
    At the beginning of each players upkeep, that player simultaniously untaps all tapped artifact creatures and lands and taps all untapped artifact creatures and lands.

Equipoise
    2W
    Enchantment
    At the Beginning of your upkeep, for each artifact target player control in excess of the number of you control, chose an artifact he or she controls. Repeat this process for creatures and lands. The chosen permanents phase out.

Round that out with a lot of mana elfs/birds, armageddon, swords, wraths, zuran orb/claws of gix and stuff and you have a fun deck[dont forget something to run your mana through today i would play senseis i guess, dontknow what i played back in that time). (The phased out permanents never come back since the untap step is skipped )

KeySam
    Last edited by KeySam: 2/6/2008 4:59:41 PM
    Like to show.

Just like Big Foot, its hard to tell what's really going on with WOTC and Organized Play.

Favorite Artifact: I had made a artifact deck around this card with Blinkmoth Urn, and Staff of Domination, it is: Rod of Spanking. Oh yeah we spank the monkey....

For more serious play Ornithopter, making him bigger with either counters or Jittes or Blanchwood Armor or what ever you are in the mood for.

Later.
    Quote from miguelms

Favorite Artifact: I had made a artifact deck around this card with Blinkmoth Urn, and Staff of Domination, it is: Rod of Spanking. Oh yeah we spank the monkey....

Blinkmoth Urn + Gemstone Array = Fun times. Add Mycosynth Lattice for a bit of mana burn. Grin The Array is good for storing up mana when you have a weird amount of it from the Urn. A good friend had a deck where he'd put a ton of counters on Gemstone Array with mana from the Urn and then plop down a Memnarch and take all your permanents in one turn. I teched Leonin Abunas in against it and my deck totally wrecked his. Rofl

Commander Decks Played:Sharuum, the Digimon|Teneb, the Garbage Man|Rhys the Ex-Boyfriend
    The best way I can think of to save the combo from faliure, is to toss in another card.

Titania's Song, Mirror Gallery, Gleemax, Copy Artifact and Animate Artifact

Animate Artifact the Mirror Gallery, it's now an artifact creature with it's abilities. Then play the rest.

As far of favorite artifact, it has to be the Mycosynth Lattice. It is amazing, and it was the centerpiece of my first deck.

This deck had playsets of Emissary of Despair, Emissary of Hope, Metal Fatigue, and Burden of Greed.

I still remember the first game I played with it. It was a 4 player, 2 draw/2 land drop game. Midgame, I've had two despairs and a hope, and 13 lands, one opponent had an army of squirrels, another opponent had a plethora of slivers, and the last had his own legion of elves.

I drop the Lattice, and procede to kill off slivers and squirrels, gain alot of life from elves, and then send the Fatigue/Burden to elves.

That deck won every game for the next week, before it earned the coveted "1st to go" award. It was a shame, I loved that deck.

Alien
    Last edited by GigElf: 2/6/2008 6:13:43 PM
    My favorite artifact ever would have to be Altar of Dementia. I lost to a bird deck that used that with Soulcatchers' Aerie and they got some ridiculous milling power.

Predator
    people assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff

Ebay - decks/MODO/Promos/DVDs

Trade thread (WiP)
    http://www.mtgsalvation.com/trading-post/details/337-pokerbob1s-casual-trading-emporium
    Hey guys, yeah i'm doin alright - just a touch sore...

Thanks for the concern & I'll see ya'll on the next show! Rolleyes
    If you blame luck on all of your failures, you're never going to get better...
    sucks you got into an accident derek...glad to hear your ok!

Sig By Zaphod
    Wow, I never thought Blinkmoth Urn had so many fans! I've only thought about it in the Planeswalker + Kraj = win combo, but I guess I haven't been playing quite long enough. Smile
    What amazing things one can find when browsing this forum! Here's one on evolution:

Actually, the whole motivation for the field is the effort to invalidate the Christian tenet of individual self-determination, and replace it with aristocratic elitism. It seeks to undermine independence as the foundation of the social contract, and replace it with fascist, intellectualist central planning.
    my favorate artifact of all time has got to be bob - beast of burdon, because he is only as strong as his friends in number. tho coat of arms is in the close 2nd, but that is less controlable now with all the shape shifters out in this world now. anyways, bob is nothing compared to godzilla, for he breaths radioactive fire after all.
    Favorite artifact is a tough one. It's like picking your favorite song. I've got different ones for different moods.
    In an aggro kind of mood, my favorite is Bonesplitter. I was running WW during the tooth and nail standard era, and bonesplitter was the only way to race fast enough.
    Favorite part 2 would be Portcullis. I love this in multi player.

Gun to my head; I'd have to say Isochron Scepter is my favorite. Nothing better than pairing it with Voltaic Key. There are just so many fun options to imprint on it.

Peace,

-doc
    Well, if I were going purely by flavor criteria, I'd take Phyrexian Processor. Phyrexia is an artifact world ruled by demons and there aren't many cards as good at capturing that "deal with the artifact devil" as the processor. It also was a part of some cool competitive decks -- look up the match-up between Finkel and Maher from Worlds 2000 if you want to see it in action.

If you were looking more for actual game-play, I'd have to go with Storm Cauldron. I had made plenty of clunky combo decks before it, but my original Storm Cauldron deck was my first combo deck that was really fun to play -- it completely changes the way the game feels in a wacky and unique way...lands keep flying up to people's hands like hunks of metal when Unicron devours Cybertron. My deck had things like Storm Seeker and Black Vise as well as ways to offset the cauldron like Llanowar Elves. I don't remember if the deck had Ankh of Mishra but that would have been pretty mean!

EDIT (since no one else has posted all day I don't have to make a new post!):
    Oh also, some general show feedback: I thought Gavin's audio quality was better this week. Not as good as when the show's not live, but still passable. I don't want to listen to the show live because I enjoy listening to it while doing other things that don't line up with when you record it but I like the live questions. They help spice things up when there's not much news. I know this week was a bit of light episode but you guys need to get back in the habit of doing Gaming with Gavin, Tribal Time with Tom, and other kinds of little segments to fill up the show when there aren't new spoiled cards and promos to talk about each week. Finally, I'm glad to hear that Derek's okay -- hear you next week!
    Last edited by schrecklich: 2/8/2008 6:10:42 PM
    Hi guys, I'm a semi-long time listener, first time poster. Gavin, I really enjoy your insights on the show, and it always cracks me up when you ruin Tom's fun (copy artifact my Gleemax.. d'oh!).. poor Tom.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in the "Favorite Artifact" thing (mine would be Mishra's Bauble because it was one of the first cards I owned and, due to its cost, was an automatic one-of in every deck I played). The part of the conversation that sparked my post was discussing the first deck you played that really got you interested in magic. I clearly remember my all-time favorite deck, the first one I played that I created all on my own and was actually competitive, completly changing the way I played Magic and how seriously I would take it from then on. This deck stomped through every saturday tourny at my store (underground games in Charlotte back in like 1998) for over a month. It was a mono-blue control deck based completely around Gilded Drake, including Waterfront Bouncers, Boomerangs, and my favorite, Barrin, Master Wizard. It played a bunch of counters, some Brainstorms, a Bribery or two. Man, I LOVED that deck. Urza's block was just amazing for me, and after that deck ran it's course, I switched to Wildfire and just kept going from there.

Great, great times.

Thanks for the podcasts, guys.
    Last edited by longshot270: 2/9/2008 10:30:50 AM
    Good show guys. I would have to say my favourite Artifact was Zuran Orb. Not because it was uber powerful etc. But how I came to figure out how it was powerful. I originally traded to get it from a friend I had just taught magic to, and thought it was a pretty cool card. (I even remember trading a decent rare at the time I think it was Eron the rentless) I only had one deck and always had it in my deck and would use the life gain in some games. Until the day I went to a local tourney. I had it in play at and my opponent just attacked and put me under zero life, I went to scoop up my cards, when he placed three of my lands in my discard pile and said, you're still in the game it's your turn. It was at this point I figured out how good the card was and felt like an idiot. But I was also very happy he didn't screw me over and actually showed me how the card really worked, it's that kind of helpful player I tend to be when i play new people or young kids in magic now.
    So yeah godzilla
    I must say that the sound quality from Gavin this week was alot better compared to last weeks. Also, I hope Derek recovers quickly so we can listen to him next week.

Hmm, favourite artifact of all time. It could be that foil Ring of Gix I just received (Thanks Tom!) but I think I will have to go with Sunforger. I loved getting to throw Lightning Helixes at my opponents head for free turn after turn in my Boros deck. I also loved the secret tech that was playing the Ends side of Odds//Ends during my opponents combat to totally wreck him. My other awesome target for Sunforger was Master Warcraft, where I usually just attacked and said 'no blockers gg?', although sometimes I would gain massive card advantage by killing off most of my opponents creatures, like Godzilla plowing through Japan.
    Nice story Spike_spiegel...but I'm curious. How did you think Zuran Orb worked if not to buy you some life near the end of the game?
    At the time I didn't think I could use it before a near death experience. I think my opponent giant growthed his creature to finish me off, then he did the orb thing. I though once I hit 0 the game was over. I mean c'mon I was 13 at the time and this was my first "big city" tourney.
    Oh the cloverfield monster, My friends and I first speculated it was a giant Miyamoto annoucing Brawl would be moved to 2009, and the New Yorkers destroyed the statue of liberty in aguish.

I normally don't do this kind of thing, but I heard "artifact", and only one thing came to mind. Fodder Cannon. Specificly the Urza one. When I first started playing magic, I picked one of these out of a pack and it was love at first sight. I didn't know (and still don't), how good it was(/is) but any card with a picture of anything hopping into a cannon with a goofy smile on its face, made it a winner in my book. Add the flavor text, and its the greatest card of all time. I would play it in any deck I had (Rock, Goblins, Control, Combo). And even if I lost a game I would still be beaming if the cannon was on the table or in my hand. Even now I play it in a really bad casual goblins deck I have and everyone at the table has a good laugh. Also my saddest memory of magic was when, at my first magic tournement, someone killed it, and I broke down crying. I had to forfiet the match and walked out in shame. But the good news is the guy felt so bad he gave me one, I still have it inshrined in my room.
    Last edited by IvanGranst: 2/9/2008 3:55:25 PM
    Currently Running:
    Modern:
    Burn
    8-Racks

Brewing:
    Modern Haakon
    Modern 20-Ones
    Legacy Meathooks
    Quote from Spike_spiegel
    At the time I didn't think I could use it before a near death experience. I think my opponent giant growthed his creature to finish me off, then he did the orb thing. I though once I hit 0 the game was over. I mean c'mon I was 13 at the time and this was my first "big city" tourney.

Well, technically, you were just ahead of your time since back then you could go down to 0 life until the end of a phase whereas now you just die (unless you have Platinum Angel). Of course, now you could just sacrifice lands in response to the Giant Growth. Maybe you could do that back then too...but the old timing rules are too complicated for me to remember any more.
    Quote from IvanGranst
    Oh the cloverfield monster, My friends and I first speculated it was a giant Miyamoto annoucing Brawl would be moved to 2009, and the New Yorkers destroyed the statue of liberty in aguish.

I normally don't do this kind of thing, but I heard "artifact", and only one thing came to mind. Fodder Cannon. Specificly the Urza one. When I first started playing magic, I picked one of these out of a pack and it was love at first sight. I didn't know (and still don't), how good it was(/is) but any card with a picture of anything hopping into a cannon with a goofy smile on its face, made it a winner in my book. Add the flavor text, and its the greatest card of all time. I would play it in any deck I had (Rock, Goblins, Control, Combo). And even if I lost a game I would still be beaming if the cannon was on the table or in my hand. Even now I play it in a really bad casual goblins deck I have and everyone at the table has a good laugh. Also my saddest memory of magic was when, at my first magic tournement, someone killed it, and I broke down crying. I had to forfiet the match and walked out in shame. But the good news is the guy felt so bad he gave me one, I still have it inshrined in my room.

That is the greatest story in the history of artifacts. All hail!:jam::jam:

I agree, Fodder Cannon has one of the best all-round flavours in this game (the picture, the flavour, the mechanic, the name - it all fits together perfectly!!). Grin

Nice show even with two hosts. Almost missed listening since the Dark Floors -movie with Lordi and pals was out here.

My favourite artifact has to be Skullclamp. Everybody knew it was insane and by being uncommon, it was availlable for everybody. Just watching and trying to cover Finnish Nationals 2005 semis with two Elf and Cloud (Deathcloud) decks playing 'Clamps as draw 7 - or maybe just 2 cards, or none, since the opponent could not let the cheap artifact stay on the table. Just seeing how much the card changed the dynamics of these games made me appreciate anew how complex this game can really be.

My runner-up would be Malachite Taliman, which was a 'killer' combo-enabler at one time. Nowadays I can't remember what was in the deck, but it propably had something to do with recurring Gaea's Blessings and untapping something to make mana and killing with Kaervek's Torch. Still the deck showed me that even niche cards could have their day in the right deck. Also being effectively a coloured artifact just made it all the sweeter.
    --
    Set to default
    Hey, when's the next show on tonight? i need to know when to sign on and its not on the talkshoe page.

thnx, J.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes