Remaining Gods- Predictions

Quote from Wrathberry
    i read that a few times now, where exactly does trample do anything to benefit deathtouch?
    i dont see any synergie between those two, mb someone can enlighten me.

Say you have a 5/5 Trample, and they have a 4/4. You attack, they block with their 4/4, 4 damage (lethal damage) is assigned to the blocker and they take one damage.
    Now suppose your 5/5 Trample also has deathtouch. You attack, they block. You assign 1 damage to the 4/4 and 4 damage to them, as any amount of damage to the blocker is lethal.

Understand?

Thanks to Rivenor for the signature and XenoNinja for the Avi!

Quotes:

Quote from Konstant1n
    I was wondering why Council of the Absolute had the 'non-creature' clause then I remembered... This is modern magic.

Quote from SteB
    I saw Elvis riding a unicorn with his buddy Michael Jackson on the night sky yesterday. You can say it didnt happen all you want. It did.

Quote from Mastodon
    When I throw a deck together, all I do is stick 3 surgical extractions and 3 pithing needles in the sideboard. Then I think to myself "that'll do"

Quote from Wrathberry
    i read that a few times now, where exactly does trample do anything to benefit deathtouch?
    i dont see any synergie between those two, mb someone can enlighten me.

With trample, you only need to assign enough damage to a blocker to kill it before the rest can trample through. If you also have deathtouch, that's always 1 point of damage.
    Information we can speculate on.

1. The gods and their weapons play well together.

2. If a God cmc is 3, it's weapon will be 4. If it's 4, it's weapon will be 3.

3. Gods will always ask five colored mana to awake and will always have a single colored mana in their cost. Weapons will always have two colored mana in their costs.

Based on that:

Spear of Heliod 1WW
    Legendary Enchantment Artifact (R)
    Creatures you control gets +1/+1.
    4W: Exile target creature with power 4 or more.

and

Purphoros, God of the Forge 3R
    Legendary Enchantment Creature — God (M)
    Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to red is less then five, Purphoros isn't a creature.
    Other creatures you control have first strike.
    2RR, Sacrifice a Creature: ~ deals damage to target player equal to the sacrificed creatures power.
    6/5
    Last edited by italofoca: 9/2/2013 10:23:05 AM
    Standard -
    :symr::symwr::symw: Boros Control :symr::symwr::symw:

:symub::symb::symb: Devotion to Black (Blue Splash) :symub::symb::symb:
    My guess is the spear gives first strike and lets you tap a creature, those are typical white soldier abilities as is producing tokens and granting vigilance.
    I would love to see the black god look something like this:

2B

Indestructible
    Devotion
    Other creatures you control gain intimidate
    2B: Target player sacrifices a creature

and the weapon:

2BB
    Creatures you control gain lifelink
    3B, T: return target creature from your graveyard to your hand

Just my speculation because I want the black god to be aggressive to try to push zombies into contention in modern with messenger and obliterator.
    Erebos is the god of fate, illness and death. I think this is flavour wise.
    Erebos, God of the Underworld 3B
    Indestructible
    Devotion 5
    All other creatures get -1/-1
    2B: Each player sacrifices a creature
    6/6
    (Yeah, if you sacrifice your creatures you lose devotion. Thats a bid odd)

The whip is to inflict plain and "pull the reluctant dead into—or back into—his realm (the underworld)"
    Whip of Erebos 1BB
    Whenever a creature dies target player loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
    Btap symbol :Search your library for a creature card and put that card into your graveyard. Shuffle your library.

Sounds pretty cool
    See me on a Commander/EDH Pro Tour
    Quote from Tinfoil Hat
    Say you have a 5/5 Trample, and they have a 4/4. You attack, they block with their 4/4, 4 damage (lethal damage) is assigned to the blocker and they take one damage.
    Now suppose your 5/5 Trample also has deathtouch. You attack, they block. You assign 1 damage to the 4/4 and 4 damage to them, as any amount of damage to the blocker is lethal.

Understand?

No.
    You can't choose how many damage you will make to the creature.
    Quote from Klogg42
    No.

Trample requires that you assign lethal damage to all blockers before spilling over extra damage. Normally that means assigning damage equal to the blockers' toughness. When a creature has deathtouch, though, only one point of damage is considered lethal, so you only have to assign one point of damage per blocker. This is true when a creature with deathtouch is multiblocked and it's true for assigning trample damage as well.
    I think erebos will be: 3U

Indestructible

5 devotion or not a creature

All creatures your opponents control get -1/-1

3U: Target opponent sacrifices a creature

5/5
    :symw:: Helios, God of the Sun
    :symu:: Thassa, God of the Sea
    :symb:: Erebos, God of the Underworld
    :symr:: Purphoros, God of the Forge
    :symg:: Nylea, God of the Hunt
    :symwg:: Karametra, the God of the Hearth
    :symrw:: Iroas
    :symub::
    :symbg:: Pharika?
    :symbr:: Mogis
    :symgu::
    :symrg::
    :symur::
    :symwb::
    :symwu:: Ephara?

And which gods do we get in set's two and three? Will they be grouped Ravnica style (:azorius::golgari::izzet::rakdos::selesnya:/:boros::dimir::gruul::orzhov::simic:) or will they be mixed up a bit?

I'm going out on a limb and guessing the next set will include the gods we at least have the names of so far (Karametra, Iroas, Pharika, Mogis, Ephara). Which makes me think my guesses for Ephara and Pharika are wrong if the 5 of them should have only one color in common with two other gods like the ravnica guilds did. But that's all speculation.
    I really feel like the god of storms and wild inspiration, whose name I do not remember this moment and am presently too lazy to look up will be :symur:.
    Quote from goneandromeda
    I really feel like the god of storms and wild inspiration, whose name I do not remember this moment and am presently too lazy to look up will be :symur:.

It's Keranos. I agree, he's the best bet for the UR god.

Also, as told at the Worldbuilding panel on Sunday and with the art we see for him as a PW and a certain piece of art we saw come out of BotG late last week which looks stunningly like him, I think it's fair to speculate that Xenagos will ascend to godhood, and will probably be the RG god.
    Here is my fingers cross for Erebos.

Erebos, God of the Underworld
    1:symb::symb:

Indestructible
    Devotion must be 5 or greater

Creatures you control have intimidate

2:symb::symb:: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the end of turn.

Unearth can't be used as it isn't an evergreen ability however Wizard has spelled out abilities before rather then use their associated keyword.
    Quote from Klogg42
    No.

Sure you can. If you attack with your 5/5 trample, deathtouch creature and they block with a 4/4, you can assign 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 damage to that creature and the rest (if any) to the defending player.

Quote from GuildCaster
    And which gods do we get in set's two and three? Will they be grouped Ravnica style (:azorius::golgari::izzet::rakdos::selesnya:/:boros::dimir::gruul::orzhov::simic:) or will they be mixed up a bit?

They will almost certainly be mixed up. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for a 16th primordial god - Nyx or Chaos or whatever tradition you want to use. This would be a god that was the father and/or mother of all the other gods. I want it to be all five colors.
    I'm what the fox says.
    Quote from darknight587

Erebos, God of the Underworld
    . . .
    Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the end of turn.

More likely you get to exile a creature in a graveyard and you get a 2/2 zombie. Much less exciting, but probably more balanced.

"Don't let him lead the soldiers, but by all means let him lead the way."
    I would love if Erebos active ability could somehow pull exiled cards back to the graveyard.. or his static ability to be a stax effect
    Quote from luminum can
    Trample requires that you assign lethal damage to all blockers before spilling over extra damage. Normally that means assigning damage equal to the blockers' toughness. When a creature has deathtouch, though, only one point of damage is considered lethal, so you only have to assign one point of damage per blocker. This is true when a creature with deathtouch is multiblocked and it's true for assigning trample damage as well.

Gess I was wrong so. Thanks for explaining We Can Do It

Quote from darknight587

2:symb::symb:: Return target creature card from your graveyard to the battlefield. It gains haste. Exile it at the end of turn.

Erebos want the dead stuff on it's realm. Why would he exile stuff from graveyard? Unless his whip bring the exiled back to grave for interection.
    Erebos, God of the Underworld 2BB
    Legendary Enchantment Creature - God

Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to black is less than five, Erebos isn't a creature. (Each {B} in the mana costs of permanents you control counts towards your devotion to black.)

All other creatures gets -1/-1.
    2BUntil end of turn you may cast cards from your graveyard. Whenever a card is put into your graveyard exile it instead.

3/4
    Quote from Vladek
    Erebos, God of the Underworld 2BB

Indestructible
    As long as your devotion to black is less than five, Erebos isn't a creature. (Each {B} in the mana costs of permanents you control counts towards your devotion to black.)

All other creatures gets -1/-1.
    2BUntil end of turn you may cast cards from your graveyard. Whenever a card is put into your graveyard exile it instead.

3/4

Um yeah one of the most powerful magic cards printed "yawgmoth will" as a repeatable activated ability on an indestructible permanent... think not..
    Oh come on - dreams can come true Smile
    The THEROS gods have a few cycles. A God, a Weapon, an Ordeal and an Emissary.

How many of these, if any, will the minor gods get?
    I don't think the minor will get a weapon I can see ordeals and emissaries for sure. Beyer confirmed the Ordeal were inspired by the twelve labours of Heracles so i think a cycle of 5 per set makes sense
    My thought,

Erebos, God of the Underworld 4B

Indestructible, devotion 5.
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you may return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.
    3B: Destroy target nonblack creature.
    6/6
    - Hiss.

- - - Thank you Ace5301! >>> Visit Ace5301's shop if you desire a signature of your own. - - -

I tried to make these synergize and be flavorful. I think Erebos will gain life somehow - when a creature dies, when a card is put into a graveyard from anywhere, or simply from lifelink. I don't like the mill ability, but I think the others are possible.

Erebos, God of the Underworld 2B

Whenever a card is put into a graveyard, you may gain 1 life.

1B: Target creature gains intimidate until end of turn.

-----

Whip of Erebos 2BB

Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, that player discards a card.

:symb:, :symtap:: Target player puts the top 2 cards of his or her library into his or her graveyard.
    I'm what the fox says.
    I think it is safe to say after today's spoiler that the Whip of Erebos will grant lifelink.
    Rules Advisor
    Quote from idm

I must say that WotC is doing an awesome job with the Modern banlist. These choices are probably tested and I'm sure it will work out just fine. Have any bans in the past ruined Modern? Nope, so lets cut WotC some slack. Overall they're doing an awesome job on Modern imo.
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes