Full art lands in Theros?

Not sure how much people care, but one thing I haven't seen discussed is the possibility of full art lands seeing a return in theros.

Ravnica had shocks. Huey seems likely to have fetches (altho m15 might have them). For a way to boost general apparent value in Theros and as a way to hedge their bets, full art lands in Theros seems like a fun possibility.

Not sure how much people care, but if they are going to pull them out again.. it seems like it'd be for the either the set this fall or not for 2 more years.
    Not sure how much people care, but one thing I haven't seen discussed is the possibility of full art lands seeing a return in theros.

Not among people who think these things through. Seriously this along with the next ten counterspell will be in Theros because I really want them to reprint counterspell threads represent a profound argument for eugenics.

Ravnica had shocks. Huey seems likely to have fetches (altho m15 might have them). For a way to boost general apparent value in Theros and as a way to hedge their bets, full art lands in Theros seems like a fun possibility.

THERE WILL NOT BE A STANDARD WITH SHOCKS AND FETCHES!!!

Zendikar had full art lands because it was a LANDS SET kind of like how Mirrodin was the artifact set. It is far to soon for another lands set.

Not sure how much people care, but if they are going to pull them out again.. it seems like it'd be for the either the set this fall or not for 2 more years.

What is this assessment based on, seriously WTF? Fall to not for two more years WTF?
    Quote from joande

What in the world does this comment have to do with anything? I said Huey, and Ravnica rotates when Huey comes in.
    Quote from joande

Zendikar had full art lands because it was a LANDS SET kind of like how Mirrodin was the artifact set. It is far to soon for another lands set.

Unglued was a lands set?
    makes more sense to me to have them in m14 as it's the anniversary set
    Huey, Dewey and Louie are always dressed in RUG. it is CLEARLY going to be the wedges block

Standard BR Cows
    Modern WR Control U Ninja G Elves
    Commander WR Gisela WGR Marath GRB Prossh
    Highlander W Kithkins
    Quote from Thiefoftime
    Unglued was a lands set?

Unglued was an awesome set

Sig by Xenphire of Inkfox Aesthetics. Avvie by DNC from Hero of the Planes Studio

Tibalt count: 1 Chinese Foil, 1 Japanses, 4 Normal.

My decks

EDH-
    More to come- my indecisiveness gets the better of me...:rolleyes:
    "The only real control we have is over ourselves." -We Came as Romans
    Quote from joande
    Not among people who think these things through. Seriously this along with the next ten counterspell will be in Theros because I really want them to reprint counterspell threads represent a profound argument for eugenics.

What is this assessment based on, seriously WTF? Fall to not for two more years WTF?

You're not you when you're hungry.

Anyway, it's a possibility I'd very much welcome.
    Currently Playing ~ RWG Naya Control GWR

Disclaimer: Unless I state otherwise, I'm referring to standard.
    Unglued had full-art lands because they wanted something in the booster pack that you could actually use in tournament play. Unhinged had them because Unglued started the tradition. Zendikar used them because it was the land block and they wanted to do something special with the lands. There is no reason to believe Theros is the time when full-art lands will make their return, so this really belongs in Baseless Speculation.
    I have a pet theory that huey is a return to zendikar of sorts, with fetches and fullart lands.

Or, to put it correctly:
    1. Zendikar, according to Maro, was well received, so one day we'll return there.
    2. Fetches and fullarts and landfall are signature features to Zendikar, so we'll likely get them we'll return to Zendikar.
    3. For the next plane we'll return to, Zendikar sounds very likely. Innistrad, Ravnica and, possibly, Mirrodin are too recent, Alara is out because it's multicolor and we just had one, Lorwyn and Kamigawa are, according to Maro, unpopular, and Dominaria, according to same Mr. Rosewater, is unlikely to near future.

For now it looks like selling point of Theros would be [mild] legendary theme and Greek mythology.
    In my opinion, with the legendary rules change, I expect Theros to be a legends matter set. There is no other reason i can think of to make such a big change to the legend rule.

Currently playing

Some of you may think that you have made great mistakes in your lives, and perhaps you have. But let me ask you this.... did you ever play strip poker with two fat chicks and win?

Cockatrice name: Ninja Nate
    Quote from NinjaNate
    In my opinion, with the legendary rules change, I expect Theros to be a legends matter set. There is no other reason i can think of to make such a big change to the legend rule.

Other than simply making the rule functionally better?

We're not going back to Zendikar anytime soon. Returning to Mirrodin and then Ravnica seems to have a lot of people spoiled and thinking that we're returning to old planes every-other set.

As for the lands - anything is possible but seeing as Theros doesn't seem land-based like Zendikar was, I doubt it.
    Standard - BRG Dredge
    Modern - BRG Living End
    Legacy - W Death & Taxes
    Commander - WGB Karador, Ghost Chieftain Reanimator

Old enough to know better, much too young to care.
    Even though it probably won't happen, I'd really like this. I wasn't playing at the time of Zendikar and would really like sume full art land (I have like 2 now :/ ).
    The short answer is no, the long answer is **** no. We'll get full art lands in Return to Zendikar, but they're not something that R&D wants to use at random. Nothing about Theros suggests that full art lands would be appropriate to the setting.
    Proud NYU Scrub, CAS '14 - empyreanobscure on tumblr - Clan Flamingo YMTC Co-Runner
    I'm hoping WOTC doesn't return to any planes for a good while
    Quote from returntokamigawa

Like it or not, Scars and RtR were runaway successes. I can almost guarantee that we'll go back to Zendikar in a couple years.
    Proud NYU Scrub, CAS '14 - empyreanobscure on tumblr - Clan Flamingo YMTC Co-Runner
    While I would love for Theros to have full art lands, MaRo's confidence in the set leads me to believe they will use that resource elsewhere.

Your name is returntokamigawa...

Current decks:
    • Modern WUG Turbofog
    • Casual WUR Zedruu
    • Standard WUR Control
    • Standard WUB Control
    • Standard RUG Staticaster Combo

We still need to go to Urgoltha!!!!! it was in the Future Sight novel damn it!!!
    Playing since 1994. Competing since 2004.
    How you should approach every game of Magic.
    Mod Helpdesk
    My Flawless Score MCC Card | My Other One | # Three!
    Quote from Dire Wombat
    Don't worry Pseudofate, we still love you. No state-based action will ever cause you to become unattached from our hearts.

Quote from S1yDevi1
    Not gonna lie, this made me go half chub.

Quote from DeftJackal
    Lol, only the limited forum would have a thread saying to be nicer to the trolls.
    I would love it if we could go one block without these threads popping up like weeds.
    Quote from Vilgan
    Huey seems likely to have fetches (altho m15 might have them).
    Based on what?
    but if they are going to pull them out again.. it seems like it'd be for the either the set this fall or not for 2 more years.

Again, based on what?

Ravnica had way more reason to use full-art lands than most any setting. The city art landscapes are some of the most popular basic land art around.

They don't just hand out full-art lands for no reason.
    In Zendikar, they did it to emphasize land matters.
    Realistically, the most likely we are to see full art basics again is when land-matters is a major theme again.
    Is actually rather hairy.
    Level 1 Judge
    I write flavor articles for RoxieCards.
    I play Magic at Freedom Cardboard in Alpharetta, Georgia.
    I personally hope we don't get full art lands until they go to an incredible looking plane. I guess it would be a lands matters set as well.
    Full art lands:
    Unglued '98
    Unhinged '04
    Zendikar '09

So there's at least 5-6 years between uses of full-art lands. And MaRo has been explicit on his Tumblr that while they are fan favourites, its a well they know better than to go back to too often.

As for returns:
    Mirrodin to Scars of Mirrodin - '03 & '10 - 7 Years
    Ravnica to Return to Ravnica - '05 & '12 - 7 Years

Also of note is that MaRo has a 7 year plan for his sets, so at best, Return to the Scars of New Zendiphyrexikar Besieged will be in 2016.
    My Trade Thread - Official 3rd Party Trader

My Decks:
    EDH:
    RGRadha, Heir to Keld RG
    WRGMayael the Anima WRG
    WUBRG Scion of the Ur-Dragon WUBRG

Standard:
    WRG Naya Ramp WRG

Modern:
    BR Blightning Bolt BR
    BGElf-Drazi BG
    Quote from Tyrann
    As for returns:
    Mirrodin to Scars of Mirrodin - '03 & '10 - 7 Years
    Ravnica to Return to Ravnica - '05 & '12 - 7 Years

By that calculation, Huey, Dewey, Louie should be returning to Lorwyn Cool
    Standard - BRG Dredge
    Modern - BRG Living End
    Legacy - W Death & Taxes
    Commander - WGB Karador, Ghost Chieftain Reanimator

Old enough to know better, much too young to care.
    Quote from Georg51
    By that calculation, Huey, Dewey, Louie should be returning to Lorwyn Cool

I would agree if MaRo hadn't said Lorwyn didn't get received as well as they would have liked. Shadowmoor got better reviews and results from market research.
    My Trade Thread - Official 3rd Party Trader

My Decks:
    EDH:
    RGRadha, Heir to Keld RG
    WRGMayael the Anima WRG
    WUBRG Scion of the Ur-Dragon WUBRG

Standard:
    WRG Naya Ramp WRG

Modern:
    BR Blightning Bolt BR
    BGElf-Drazi BG
    Unless there is some land theme in Theros (which I highly doubt), there's not a good reason for full art lands in this set.
    Since I've used this forum, this thread has popped up every set. It's boring, and downright baseless. Until modern masters it was accompanied by the "goyf goyf?" "Goyf reprint inc" "pliss goyf nao? It only makes sense" threads.

As of what we know now, the Mythos and legendary things a the only speculations that have any base, and the legendary theme is iffy at best. Just wait and see guys, I know it's fun to wish and hope for stuff, but posting it on here is a different story and it clogs sub forums.
    Zedruu is my homie.

As prompted by certain threads on the forums, I'm now certain that the planeswalkers in DGM will be.... Ral Zarek, Morsel of the Firemind.

Quote from Ethereal Armor
    Metal is scarce, smiths are pricy, and [whiny] plate mail is heavy. [/whiny]
    Quote from Bakoninja
    Since I've used this forum, this thread has popped up every set. It's boring, and downright baseless. Until modern masters it was accompanied by the "goyf goyf?" "Goyf reprint inc" "pliss goyf nao? It only makes sense" threads.

As of what we know now, the Mythos and legendary things a the only speculations that have any base, and the legendary theme is iffy at best. Just wait and see guys, I know it's fun to wish and hope for stuff, but posting it on here is a different story and it clogs sub forums.

The Legendary Theme is a great deduction at best. Greek mythology has Legendary Heroes, Legendary Monsters, and Legendary Gods. Also, a Tribal theme wouldn't be too baseless since Mutavault is being reprinted in m14.
    Quote from jedimindtricks

Now, if we could just get that goblin walker. Preferably before the part in the storyline where he planeswalked right into Progenitus.

On the Subject of Master Biomancer:
    Quote from Lully
    That mythic is very mythic. Pillarfield ox has returned with a vengeance.

Many thanks to DNC at Heroes of the Plane Studios
  • To post a comment, please or register a new account.
Posts Quoted:
Clear All Quotes